Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OPL AUv3 FM Synth by Jorge Reales

Comments

• @Gavinski said:
    Please consider offering your services to them for their next beta Samu. I'm not even sure they do betas for iOS mind you 😅

I think they use some generic multi-platform framework to do cross platform apps...
    It might be the same as ZenBeats is using as the file dialogue looks very similar (when you press export in the stand alone).

• edited June 2020

yes it sounds so lofi just in the right places, a real gem, thnx @Samu for the preset thingy.
    haha the ”drums” total warp back to 1989

• Someone said lofi? ;)
    I am sitting here on the fence with my popcorn and wait for some examples flying in.

• edited June 2020

@david_2017 oki heres a quick noodle
    (its from a long piece)

• @noob said:
    (its from a long piece)

Thanks mate. Cool noodle 👊🏼😎
    Sounds more like Chip tune stuff which is not triggering my boxes too good but the website had some great presets too. Hmm 🤔 do I need another Synth Plugin hahah right Place I came to to ask this question

• i would not say chiptune.. more..old pcgames

• Excellent stuff Noob, I like the cut of your jib

• Got a lot of freeze scrolling patches😭

• @noob said:
    (its from a long piece)

Arg, wasn’t that interested until I heard this 😁

• Can anyone replicate this bug:

If you press 'export' in the AU, afterwards OPL freezes, no buttons or sliders etc respond and the only way to solve is to delete and reinstall the app.

• @Gavinski said:
    Can anyone replicate this bug:

If you press 'export' in the AU, afterwards OPL freezes, no buttons or sliders etc respond and the only way to solve is to delete and reinstall the app.

Didn't have to re-install just clear the AUM session and reload the AUv3 and everything works again...
    (I'm on an iPad Air 2, iPadOS13.5.1).

I think the freeze is due to the plug-in expecting to reach files outside of it's 'AUv3 sandbox'. A better solution here would be iCloud but I'll let the developer discover this one... (They respond quite quickly on FB so that might be a way to reach out to them).

• I messaged the dev, they got back to me right away, they will remove the export button in the next update until export in the AU is fixed. Thnx

• @Gavinski said:
    I messaged the dev, they got back to me right away, they will remove the export button in the next update until export in the AU is fixed. Thnx

Goodie, I suggested using iCloud Drive for this since the app doesn't even have a folder under Files.app allowing one to backup the presets. (iCloud Drive works from the AUv3 Plug-in as well and the presets don't use that much storage, a few MB).

The update with the icon flip is already in review (1.6) and should drop soonish :)

Guess the dev is trying to make up for the previous reputation or something, I like it!

• Yeah, I was pretty firm with him yesterday that I wasn't impressed that they didn't seem to have learnt from the op-xd experience. Good they are being responsive.

• After a few mins noodling

• @Gavinski said:
    Can anyone replicate this bug:

Yes for me too.

• @Samu said:
    The update to OPL just dropped. The pop-up menus in the AUv3 work as expected.
    Now let's just wait to the FM/Additive icons to swap place to reflect what's actually happening :)

The icon order will be fixed in the next update. (Didn't take many minutes to get a response on that hehe).

😅 I'm glad it wasn't just me!

• edited June 2020

It’s a no for me
    If I was in the market for fm, I’d be after the elektron digitone!

• edited June 2020

lol.. this AU is a future classic..for 5bucks..

• Each to their own, taste in synths is like taste in music, no one size fits all :)

• edited June 2020

Can anyone do anything with the channels section at the top? On the desktop versions it animates with midi input (can’t remember what it does exactly) but this seems not working on iOS version.
    That’s a bad app icon too 😝
    But I do like the nostalgic timbres....!

Oh hold on..channels seems to do something in percussion mode.

• Could you explain what the channels section does when you figure it out? @Carnbot

• Also, the sliders seem upside down. A value of 15 on the attack slider, for example, is the fastest attack. Normally that would be the slowest. Is this a mistake, or some quirk of the original that has been emulated?

• @Gavinski said:
    Also, the sliders seem upside down. A value of 15 on the attack slider, for example, is the fastest attack. Normally that would be the slowest. Is this a mistake, or some quirk of the original that has been emulated?

The chip works that way, same behaviour in Deflemask too but it emulates a 4OP chip.
    At leat on the Yamaha tx81z higher values mean faster...

So it’s true to the chip and I for prefer it to be that way.

It’s the same as the pitch-bemd wheel on Oberheims pitch the ‘wrong way’ (down is up and up is down).

• OK, good to know, I suspected that must be the case, thanks Samu

• Wonder why they did it like that. We're the current conventions not already pretty established at that time?

• @Gavinski said:
    Wonder why they did it like that. We're the current conventions not already pretty established at that time?

Could be something to do with ‘logic’ ie. high value means faster.
    So if we want to reach the highest volume faster we need a higher value to add to the counters.
    The output is digitally created (direct digital synthesis) so it needs some value to go up from zero and adding zero to zero goes nowhere or something like that.

Also the values are not linear, just like the SID chip the ‘times’ are pre-defined for the envelope stages, so zero is not really a zero or there would be no output at all on the OPL.

It’s digital vs analog thinking, if you add zero the value will never reach maximum.
    I’m used to the quirks of different chips so for me it’s jot a problem :)

• edited June 2020

@Gavinski said:
    Wonder why they did it like that. We're the current conventions not already pretty established at that time?

From the Yamaha docs:

The attack parameter specified the speed of change, so higher is faster.

Since this was a bare-bones digital synthesizer that didn't try to emulate the behavior of analog circuits, they probably calculated the attack through a simple delta-value that was added every cycle. With this parameter you could specify how big that value is. Most likely explanation is that it's a reflection of their chip design, which rarely takes into account how humans think and isn't meant to dictate how to design a UI around it... ;)

• @Samu said:

It’s the same as the pitch-bemd wheel on Oberheims pitch the ‘wrong way’ (down is up and up is down).

That actually makes more sense to me for some reason

• @Fingolfinzzz said:

@Samu said:

That actually makes more sense to me for some reason

Just like the mouse wheel direction in macOS makes sense to me while some others think it's 'wrong direction'.
    It's the same as with an airplane, you pull towards you when going up up and push forward to go down, the screen is the view of the landscape :)