Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OPL AUv3 FM Synth by Jorge Reales

Comments

• Had a go on the desktop demo and it sounds good, no iOS AU params though so might wait until that happens....are there any baked in CC controls maybe?

• Do you remember Baervaag by Klevgrand? Very simple 2 op FM synth with variable waveforms (sine to square and pulse witdth) in both carrier and modulator. I like the straightforwardness of this synth and the timbres it would come out of it.

• edited June 2020

None of the other 2OP FM Synths on iOS sound quite like the OPL.
    They may be somewhat similar but the old-school lo-fi vibe of the OPM really tickles my ears and the dirt that can be dug out with WOOTT is quite nice :)

Before I spend excessive amounts of time with OPL I'll wait for the update to fix the AUv3 pop-up menus and eventual preset saving and a bit more AU polish...

• edited June 2020

ok.. so do we buy or wait? got dixie, noir.. i mite try this for awe32 stuff... remember it sounded bad in almost evry way possible.. but idunno..

• @noob said:
    ok.. so do we buy or wait? got dixie, noir..

If the primary use case is AUv3 I'd say wait until the update that fixes at least the pop-up menus is out.
    Exposed AUParameters is another feature that would be worth the wait as well as it would allow automation...

• oki fair enuff hope its not Titanic again

• Definitely some retro lofi goodness here. Certainly something you will want to add your own fx apps to. But yes, what a diabolical preset system. How someone can release something with such major flaws is really beyond me....

• @OnfraySin said:
    .... by Jorge Reales.

So, never on my iPad

Interesting... it took more than 20 posts to read this. I thought this is probably the most important argument not to get this.

• This started freezing on me in AUM. Needed to delete and reinstall. Working again....for now......

• But I must say, I really love some of the sounds it can do

• Though I find a lot of the presets are clipping. Were these randomly generated?

• @Gavinski said:
    Though I find a lot of the presets are clipping. Were these randomly generated?

Most are SBI patches from what I know...

The emulation stays pretty true to the original sound-chip which could be driven to distortion hell especially for polyphonic sounds. (The 'chip' can also distort internally even when the output level is not high when the wavetables wrap around).

As you may have noticed the 'distortion/clipping' is there even when you lower the output volume on the track hosting the plug-in.

It is what it is, put a limiter on the track if needed :)
    (Or maybe add some WOOTT to it).

• Haha, I had noticed, thanks for the additional info Samu. Based on how much I liked the sound of this I also ended up getting the ob-xd. Fantastic sounding also, though definitely some problem with the screen scrolling while turning rotaries, at least on my iPad Pro 12.9.

• Yeah bought it. Sounds different. Its a keeper. And i actually like the preset system. Heh

• @oat_phipps said:
    I am unable to change the frequency multiplier. Any trick to that?

The 'menu system' is broken in the AUv3. The dev is working on it...
    (If you check the stand-alone app you see how it's supposed to work).

• I really don't like that it doesn't show you the name of the preset that is currently playing. It makes it hard to remember things you liked.

• Lol , have a look at the preset names... swear they are all from early pc games..

• Can this import SBI files off the web for more presets?
    I see that the desktop version supports this and so does the free VST this has been ported from, so hopefully iOS version can as well...

• Well, it only has an export button, no import button, so looks unlikely

• @Gavinski said:
    Well, it only has an export button, no import button, so looks unlikely

So no access to the presets in the Files app/iCloud I presume

• Not that I noticed

• @Gavinski said:
    Not that I noticed

I’ll download some additional *.sbi files (if I find a good archive) as it’s supposed to support drag’n’drop for preset import...

• Thanks Samu. So there is no manual for this, but there is some info here, which includes the mention of drag n drop
    https://www.discodsp.com/opl/

• @Gavinski said:
    Thanks Samu. So there is no manual for this, but there is some info here, which includes the mention of drag n drop
    https://www.discodsp.com/opl/

"SBI Files

SBI files are an instrument file format developed by Creative Labs back in the day for the Sound Blaster. Essentially they work as presets for this plugin. Just drag and drop them into the plugin window!"

This is what I was referring to... (It's on the main page).

I'm just giving the miRack AUv3 in Logic Pro X a spin at the moment, it failed validation but now it's at least starting up :)

• Yeah, that’s what I was referring to too, the link above is for the main page. Good stuff.

• edited June 2020

The update to OPL just dropped. The pop-up menus in the AUv3 work as expected.
    Now let's just wait to the FM/Additive icons to swap place to reflect what's actually happening :)

The icon order will be fixed in the next update. (Didn't take many minutes to get a response on that hehe).

• Love the sound of this app - quite unique in its „big“ lofi character - glad I bought it ,,,

• I bloody love this sound too. I'll be excited when I am back at my ipad later to finally start being able to tweak it more now that those popups are working.

• Exposing AUParameters is apparently in the pipe-line as well...
    It'll be especially fun modulating the attenuation of the operators when the feedback and polyphony is maxed out :)

• Please consider offering your services to them for their next beta Samu. I'm not even sure they do betas for iOS mind you 😅