Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Hainbach and SonicLAB's Fundamental for iOS out now

edited September 2020 in General App Discussion

Really, REALLY looking forward to this one.

Comments

• edited June 2020

bites lip and squeezes wallet a bit harder

• Hopefully he consulted Bram Bos about pricing for iOS apps :p

• I thought it was VST only
    nice :wink:

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2020

Source? Link? Would love to read more about this.

• So what is the app supposed to do, find the fundamental pitch in everyday sounds?!

• edited June 2020

He talked about it here (time: 3:46:36, if the timestamp in the link doesn't work for you):

• @NoiseFloored thnx @samu yes, I have only heard it discussed in videos, I didn't find any good text info online, otherwise I would have posted

• He said he's going to use it to replace the Sidrax in his setup.
    http://www.ciat-lonbarde.net/sidrax/index.html

• @Gavinski said:
    He said he's going to use it to replace the Sidrax in his live setup.
    http://www.ciat-lonbarde.net/sidrax/index.html

• edited June 2020

I hope, Sinan Bokesoy the developer at sonicLab who’s making the Fundamental app decides to bring versions of his other apps to iOS/iPadOS as they seem very intriguing. Here’s his PaSSBot stochastic filter app.

• I just saw that the June 15 is the release date for the desktop version, while iOS should come in August: https://www.reddit.com/r/Hainbach/comments/guakm5/does_hainbach_have_a_discord_server/fsnvk3t/

• I literally just saw that too, damn

• edited June 2020

wooooah... dunno wtf it is but buying anyway..
    edit;mite be done in mirack maybe?

• So a Synth Plugin? Looking cool that thing

• @noob I haven't started using mirack yet, even though I bought it when it was on sale. I'm pretty sure this kind of thing could be done in mirack, drambo etc. But I would expect with Hainbach that the sound will be really really top notch. Maybe something like Esoteric Synth, or a few others whose name escapes me, could do this kind of thing too. Don't really know enough about this app yet, but I am excited because I trust that Hainbach would only put out something good.

• @Gavinski said:
    @noob I haven't started using mirack yet, even though I bought it when it was on sale. I'm pretty sure this kind of thing could be done in mirack, drambo etc. But I would expect with Hainbach that the sound will be really really top notch. Maybe something like Esoteric Synth, or a few others whose name escapes me, could do this kind of thing too. Don't really know enough about this app yet, but I am excited because I trust that Hainbach would only put out something good.

If you look at the video where Hainbach and Sinan actually discuss their respective contributions to the app, you’ll discover that it revolves around sampling of Hainbach’s 1950s lab equipment, a custom wavetable synth developed by Sinan, extensive modulation capabilities and MPE. Given these facts, it’s clear to me they can’t be replicated with any sort of fidelity approaching that of the Fundamentals app using either miRack or Drambo. It’s equally clear the appeal of the Fundamentals app may end up being very niche as it’s so focused on replicating the behavior of the lab test equipment specific sounds, that it may not be everyone’s cup of tea.

While speculation about being able to recreate what other apps can be recreated in miRack or Drambo can be fun and entertaining, the degree to which such speculations are valid or reasonable will vary. I wonder why people who don’t take the time to understand the capabilities of the original app, Drambo, or miRack are so quick to declare such replications can be done?

Personally, I prefer to respect the work of developers and do not naively assume these sorts of replications are possible especially in cases where it’s clear I have a large gap in my knowledge.

• Good point, I stand corrected.

• @Gavinski said:
    Good point, I stand corrected.

To be fair, there are many talented developers who make difficult tasks appear to be relatively easy so I can appreciate how it can be at times difficult to know how hard or possible things might be so I wouldn’t want to discourage people from raising these questions.

My own knowledge is certainly limited so there have been and will be times when I think I might know something but others have/will let me know what I didn’t know.

• Of course, that’s what we’re here for, to learn from one another and to keep one another right

• edited June 2020

I enjoy the sentiment, because I love that app, but it is becoming something of a hollow aphorism around here of late. So, I have been making it a personal point to test the if claims ‘that can be done in Drambo’ are true or not. Now and then I do read one of those claims and think ‘nah, surely that’s not possible’, to then spend the rest of the day thinking about it and realize there is indeed a way. For sure it can’t do everything, but I’ll be damned if Drambo can’t tackle 90% of those claims with diligent programming. I do post the projects publicly as well, but I don’t want to step on any toes with new releases so I won’t share them in release threads now.

I think it’s kind of important that people do understand the depth and utility of the products they already own, which is mainly where I’m coming from with this approach. So, I will test the claim that Drambo can achieve similar functionality. Obviously the gui, experience and sound will be nothing alike, which merits having both :)

Anyway, sorry for the OT. Fundamental looks like it’ll be a meaty oscillator. IVCS3 is currently my favorite dedicated vco. But this one will go way left field with additive abilities and an osc matrix. A few instances of Fundamental and a couple ring modulators and iOS will be able to emulate a pretty decent Stockhausen-esqu workflow.
    Following with interest.

@Paulinko said:
    While speculation about being able to recreate what other apps can be recreated in miRack or Drambo can be fun and entertaining, the degree to which such speculations are valid or reasonable will vary. I wonder why people who don’t take the time to understand the capabilities of the original app, Drambo, or miRack are so quick to declare such replications can be done?

Personally, I prefer to respect the work of developers and do not naively assume these sorts of replications are possible especially in cases where it’s clear I have a large gap in my knowledge.

• edited June 2020

@Paulinko lol.. We do what we want with any app Drambo or mirack.. this place is full of wizards..just live with it...you know brainstorming is guud

• @noob said:
    @Paulinko lol.. We do what we want with any app Drambo or mirack.. this place is full of wizards..just live with it...you know brainstorming is guud

You must be more knowledgeable and/or have more or less imagination than me as I haven’t given up on acquiring other apps rather than just relying upon Drambo or miRack Wizards. I guess I’m fortunate I have such a myopic mindset and can afford to be able to buy new apps that appeal to me rather than be limited to an all in one solution of either Drambo or miRack. Plus I’m probably just too lazy to chase down or wait for these Wizards to perform their encantations. Since I already have more apps than I can possibly use, the outpouring of such magic would only compound my gluttonous app usage. At least now I can keep my head above water whereas too much brainstorming would only leave me drowning amidst unrequited app/patch/preset usage. Better to keep well within my own lane than suffer such a fate.

Please enjoy your good fortune but do not expect the less privileged of us to buy into your brainstorming ways as we have enough common sense to know when we should come inside to avoid being struck down by someone’s brilliant flash of insight. Doing anything I want is simply not a viable option for me so I must be diligent about resisting any offers of boundless opportunity as it’s already too difficult to choose among what I already have. I’m preserved by my simple, selfish, and parochial mind from being overwhelmed by too many choices— so don’t cry for me Argentina.

• Any good software modular can do dirty (saturated/waveshaped) sine oscillators. Any good software modular can do complex modulation.

• Quality analog emulation (e.g. of the quirks of specific oscillators) is an entirely different ballgame.
    • SonicLab's stochastic modulators are also arguably doing something special and valuable, even relative to the best software modular around.

I'm very fond of the exercise of trying to approximate target behavior from generic software modular tools. It's an amazing way to improve our chops, and to arrive at results that we can make our own. But constantly repeating that everything synthesis can probably be done in drambo + mirack not only gets old fast, it's misinformation.

• @Paulinko that sounds problematic B) :'(

• edited June 2020

Desktop version is out now:

• Was just going to post that! For anyone not having time to watch the whole vid, the best section I think is the part where he is playing with an mpe controller at around the 12:44 mark

• Enjoyed the video and learned a lot. What an interesting concept. Not sure this could fit into my workflow. Possibly another rabbit hole to go down and bring back some gems found there. Will definitely get the iOS version when it comes out.

• @Gavinski I'm beginning to think that we both have some level of obsession over this :D

• Haha, I'm a big Hainbach fan, so... Yeah. I will say that it looks like it can make some good sounds. But it also looks like it might be a bit hard to get usable stuff out of. The mpe section I mentioned earlier though gives me hope that the chaos can be reigned in sufficiently 😉