Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DX-7 cartridge generator - nice for KQ Dixie fans

I saw this on Reddit today. Someone created an AI assisted generator that creates 32 patch DX-7 carts, that can be imported into KQ Dixie. I tried it and thought it pretty cool.

Check it out here: https://www.thisdx7cartdoesnotexist.com/

Comments

• edited June 2020

very nice!

• Thanks for sharing this 😊👍

• Cool! Some of the generated sounds are actually quite usable! 👍🏼

• edited June 2020

How cool is that ! Thanks for sharing. AI is already much better than me to program that kind of synth...

• Sweet find, thanks

• Can the audiokit FM player 2 load these files?

• The Yamaha DX7 has a total of 155 parameters, the AI uses a machine learning model known as a VAE that reduces these 155 parameters down to just 8.

If it's always the same 8 parameters, I want macros.

Looks cool :)

• @Toastedghost said:
    Can the audiokit FM player 2 load these files?

No. FM Player 2 is a wavetable synth, not FM. It plays previously recorded sounds. But Dixie is a great DX7 emulation, and very reasonably priced.

• @uncledave said:

@Toastedghost said:
    Can the audiokit FM player 2 load these files?

No. FM Player 2 is a wavetable synth, not FM. It plays previously recorded sounds. But Dixie is a great DX7 emulation, and very reasonably priced.

Cheers dude

• @colonel_mustard said:
    The Yamaha DX7 has a total of 155 parameters, the AI uses a machine learning model known as a VAE that reduces these 155 parameters down to just 8.

These 8 parameters are 'constructed' to cover the full range of 155 real parameters in a certain way - you could call them macros indeed.
    There's a mode to even apply them in realtime if you setup your own system according to the Github content, for example to map them to CCs of a physical controller.

• @Telefunky said:

@colonel_mustard said:
    The Yamaha DX7 has a total of 155 parameters, the AI uses a machine learning model known as a VAE that reduces these 155 parameters down to just 8.

These 8 parameters are 'constructed' to cover the full range of 155 real parameters in a certain way - you could call them macros indeed.
    There's a mode to even apply them in realtime if you setup your own system according to the Github content, for example to map them to CCs of a physical controller.

Easy automation through the full range of 'musically sensible' DX7 tones could be nice. It's not lacking for presets, but dynamically moving through the sound palette could get interesting. Somebody tell Eno.

• Thanks for this.

• Awesome, thanks! Can never have enough DX7/KQ Dixie patches.

• Yeah, I just tried this, some are really good

• @Crawlingwind said:
    I saw this on Reddit today. Someone created an AI assisted generator that creates 32 patch DX-7 carts, that can be imported into KQ Dixie. I tried it and thought it pretty cool.

Thank you, thank you, for sharing this. I am totally addicted... I like the names almost as much as the sounds! Amazing.

• Really freakin cool. Thanks for posting.

• Yeah! Great names! Kind of remind me of names of Aphex Twin tracks.

@gusgranite said:

@Crawlingwind said:

Thank you, thank you, for sharing this. I am totally addicted... I like the names almost as much as the sounds! Amazing.

• Awesome, thank you for the link. I’m actually liking a lot of the patches I’m getting too

• Just tried it. Got some great usable sounds for KQ Dixie right off the bat. Excellent!

• edited June 2020

The cartridge thing looks cool, but how did I not know about KQ Dixie all this time! :)

The name “KQ Dixie”, which has to be one of the least memorable, and least DX/FM-sounding, names ever, could have something to do with it! :D

No matter. Better late than never. Downloading now. Looks like the rest of my day just took a left turn down a DX nostalgia tunnel for the next 17 hours or so... :p

• For those new to KQ Dixie, there are a tons of links to DX patches in this previous thread:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/23944/kq-dixie-new-au-fm-synth/p1

• I wish Dixie offered a more DX7-ish theme. I did some quick playing around in Photoshop just for fun..

:*

• That’s cool, and hey look under Setup/Preferences/Theme Color for a few different color choices. Not as cool as yours though...

@Lady_App_titude said:
    I wish Dixie offered a more DX7-ish theme. I did some quick playing around in Photoshop just for fun..

:*

• Stylish - my vote to this as the default scheme :+1: o:)

• Nice, I dig that theme. So lime.

• @Telefunky said:

@colonel_mustard said:

Super clever work. Would be cool if you could designate some subset of patches as the 'learn' source. So instead of it being skewed by the existence of 8 jillion "different" electric piano style sounds in Bobby Blue patch compilation, you could intentionally skew it toward bass sounds or bell sounds or pad sounds or pluck sounds or weirdo FM squeaks...

• @Gavinski said:
    Yeah! Great names! Kind of remind me of names of Aphex Twin tracks.

@gusgranite said:

@Crawlingwind said:

My favourite yet is the patch with no name...