Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Lumbeats Soft Drummer midi in question

I love Lumbeats apps but sometimes wish there was a proper user manual. Could someone tell me why there's a midi-in dialogue in Soft Drummer and what it's used for?

Comments

• There are 8 Live Pads, where you store these preset setups (pattern, swing, jam intensity, etc.)
    You could use Midi to switch between the Live Pads.

There is a Sound Module switch on the main page. When on, Soft Drummer receives Midi in and plays its internal drum sounds.

Those are the 2 situations using Midi Input that I am aware of.

• I'm interested in option 2. The sound module. Are the midi notes in according to the midi map?

• The midi note mapping is customizable, and you can save different map settings if you use a variety of sequencers that don’t let you customize the note outputs.

• Is there any specific MIDI Drum Map that's the most common?

I was working on a Mozaic script and spent a bit of time looking for a great answer but didn't see anything definitive. I picked a drum machine and just sent it output that worked.

• Did you load it into audiobus ?

• @McD said:
    Is there any specific MIDI Drum Map that's the most common?

I was working on a Mozaic script and spent a bit of time looking for a great answer but didn't see anything definitive. I picked a drum machine and just sent it output that worked.

I mainly come across 2.
    General Midi (the old Channel 10 percussion map), and a chromatic mapping starting from a C, usually C3. Sometimes it isn’t chromatic, but follows the C major white keys.

There seem to be a lot of drum apps with a weird, random mapping, but if you check these against the General midi drum map, you can see that the drums are mapped to match the most logical percussion instrument type. So it only uses like 8-16 non-consecutive notes, pulled from the note range 35-81 (the general midi percussion note map range).

• @RajahP said:
    Hi

S'up?

• It looks like Sound Module mode has been removed from the latest update of Soft Drummer? Is this really not a thing anymore?

• edited January 2021

@spiteface said:
    It looks like Sound Module mode has been removed from the latest update of Soft Drummer? Is this really not a thing anymore?

I saw the same thing in the latest Rock Drummer, assumed it was something on my device as I had not seen anyone else report it. Without the slider to enable the sound module the MIDI notes to sound the drums do not work but the program does respond to the MIDI "control" messages.

• If there's no work around, that's a real bummer. I typically use one of the lumbeat apps for the drummer/patterns and another as a sound module.

• @LuisMartinez : Did you remove the ability to trigger Soft Drummer's samples or has the mechanism just changed?

If the capability was removed, a warning about this should have been put in the app store description so that people could choose not to update if they need that functionality.

Also, Soft Drummer's virtual MIDI in port still doesn't work. If you direct MIDI from AUM to Soft Drummer's MIDI in port, Soft Drummer doesn't see it. MIDI sent to that port should automatically be seen by Soft Drummer.

• My sudden problem with the most recent update is trying to figure out how to reprogram my AirTurn 4 switch bluetooth pedal.

I had it all setup for the previous Soft Drummer version. I used it in Live Mode to:

SW1 - start / stop
    SW2 - fill
    SW3 - ride / hihat toggle
    SW4 - fill and end

It used to use Program Change (PC) commands for this. Suddenly they change it to midi notes? ( Thanks a Lot!!! )
    Have not figured out how to reprogram this yet. Tried emailing Lumbeats, NO REPLY.

• @WaySan said:
    My sudden problem with the most recent update is trying to figure out how to reprogram my AirTurn 4 switch bluetooth pedal.

I had it all setup for the previous Soft Drummer version. I used it in Live Mode to:

SW1 - start / stop
    SW2 - fill
    SW3 - ride / hihat toggle
    SW4 - fill and end

It used to use Program Change (PC) commands for this. Suddenly they change it to midi notes? ( Thanks a Lot!!! )
    Have not figured out how to reprogram this yet. Tried emailing Lumbeats, NO REPLY.

If you tap where it says ‘Note’ on any of the control mappings, you can change it to CC or PC after the little +/- buttons appear by the word ‘Note’.

• Yes I already discovered the the ability to change between Note / CC / PC.

The problem is: It has very limited manipulation. I can only change the PC number for some features, not any feature as previously. Previously I could set PC 22, 23, 24, 25 up for the functions I previously mentioned. This worked great for me.

Although I found that the app did not always sync reliably with my bluetooth pedal. It was NOT the bluetooth between the pedal and the iPad. I proved that because Airturn app always responded to my pedal flawlessly. So it was sync between the pedal and Soft Drummer or perhaps Softdrummer and the bluetooth system in the iPad. Weird and irratic.

• PC 22, 23, 24 seem to be pre-programmed to the LivePads and can't be changed. I prefer to have the other functions programmed to my pedal and select the LivePad changes by hand when I wish.

• @WaySan said:
    PC 22, 23, 24 seem to be pre-programmed to the LivePads and can't be changed. I prefer to have the other functions programmed to my pedal and select the LivePad changes by hand when I wish.

thats why blueboard works so well with it :)

• edited November 2022

Where has sound module input gone?