Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus play button vs ModStep

Running Patterning 2 and Modstep with AudioBus.

Hitting the play button on AudioBus does as one would expect with Patterning, as in play or stop.

Modstep, however, needs like to be told twice, one click to play, second click does nothing, third click stops it ( and starts Patterning up again ), fourth click everything stops.

It's like Modstep needs a double click from the play button.

What's going on ?

Comments

• tjatja
    edited May 2020

Yes, i see this too.

Cannot remember that this happened before.
    I had Ableton Link enabled

EDIT: Also happens with MIDI Sync instead of Link and also on IOS 12.4

I would swear that I already had this differently

• @tja said:
    Yes, i see this too.

Cannot remember that this happened before.
    I had Ableton Link enabled

Needing Ableton LInk enabled for both apps to get start ups, which might have something to do with them both have rotating circles in stop mode and start up at the " start of the cycle ".

• edited May 2020

So after spending way too much time stubbornly trying to get this fixed as opposed to doing anything creative came up with this " fix ", albeit using an external midi controller ....

Assign a midi note to the play button to start it with an external midi source ( default " press " mode )

Assign another midi note to the play button to stop it, this time in " toggle " mode.

Two external buttons for " start " and " stop ", which works luckily enough for what I'm trying to achieve, IF I don't hit the wrong button.

One symptom of whatever issue is going on here is that when the screen is in Modstep mode, all the play button icons behave as they should, showing a triangle when stopped in ModStep and a " pause " icon on the two mini menu's of AudioBus and Patterning.

When the screen is in AudioBus mode, the mini menu play button icon for ModStep doesn't react to the status of the play button.

EDIT: Modstep is actually a can of worms when dealing with when and when not it should start up, clicking on a pattern, for example, will start the thing up outside Audiobus. In the meantime Drambo just got midi learn apparently, so I'm switching sides for the meantime.