Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Why is Discord not so popular with us Audio Production people

Is there a way to search more iOS Developers on Discord. I think its a really good more direct way to interact with Devs. Its no way as good as Audiobus forum but its a plus

Comments

• I think you just answered your question. If it’s not as good then why bother?

I’m not on it because I’m already sick of rotating between existing sites and groups. Facebook with all the groups, ab forum, BeepStreet forum, Disccord site, eBay , local classifieds, independent news ;) etc etc.

Not enough hours in a day. 😅

• I’ve never been big on this type of thing, but for the Zenbeats Discord, once I got the iOS app (browser version seems kind of weird) it’s grown on me. Plus, Roland Zenbeats guys are active there so that one’s worth it to me. I don’t know of any other iOS Discords though and I don’t bother much with FB and some of the others. Mostly just AB and ZB Discord.

https://discord.gg/NMzppYM

• @anickt said:
    I’ve never been big on this type of thing, but for the Zenbeats Discord, once I got the iOS app (browser version seems kind of weird) it’s grown on me. Plus, Roland Zenbeats guys are active there so that one’s worth it to me. I don’t know of any other iOS Discords though and I don’t bother much with FB and some of the others. Mostly just AB and ZB Discord.

@anickt true. We exchanged a few messages on Discord/Zen/Stormbeats. Iam going to try 4pockets Multitrack Recorder in Zen till I get used to the Zen Audio Editing. I keep accidently creating Fades on clips when moving Audio on the Zen timeline

• Discord is vastly superior if you find the relevant channels, this forum is a drip in an ocean, in fact this forum isn’t even a particle in an ocean even in comparison to a single piece of softwares discord if it is the right channel.
    It is quite funny that the users on this forum think of this place as the centre of the world for iOS music making, and then wonder in despair why some app designed for beatmakers is all over youtube etc when their particular chosen app is not all over youtube and is near abandoned.
    I would be surprised if 0.000001% of iOS music makers even know this forum exists, the vast majority of iOS music makers use whatever apps Apple suggests they use.

• @stormbeats said:

@anickt said:
    I’ve never been big on this type of thing, but for the Zenbeats Discord, once I got the iOS app (browser version seems kind of weird) it’s grown on me. Plus, Roland Zenbeats guys are active there so that one’s worth it to me. I don’t know of any other iOS Discords though and I don’t bother much with FB and some of the others. Mostly just AB and ZB Discord.

@anickt true. We exchanged a few messages on Discord/Zen/Stormbeats. Iam going to try 4pockets Multitrack Recorder in Zen till I get used to the Zen Audio Editing. I keep accidently creating Fades on clips when moving Audio on the Zen timeline

I used to get fades too and once you pull them out it’s difficult to remove them.

If you grab the clip on either of the upper corners you will create a fade. Grab it in the middle. Also, if you’re not zooming in to do detail work you’re making it more difficult for yourself.

I work in both audio and video editing and it always surprised me when I saw people I’ve worked with not zoom in to the timeline for more detailed work. In FCPX for instance, the cursor can perform different functions depending on where it is on the clip. But it’s difficult to access them if you don’t zoom in a bit. It becomes second nature very quickly.

• Here he goes again 🤣

• @LeeB said:
    Here he goes again 🤣

I blame it on de virus 🤪

• edited May 2020

@Turntablist said:
    Discord is vastly superior if you find the relevant channels, this forum is a drip in an ocean, in fact this forum isn’t even a particle in an ocean even in comparison to a single piece of softwares discord if it is the right channel.
    It is quite funny that the users on this forum think of this place as the centre of the world for iOS music making, and then wonder in despair why some app designed for beatmakers is all over youtube etc when their particular chosen app is not all over youtube and is near abandoned.
    I would be surprised if 0.000001% of iOS music makers even know this forum exists, the vast majority of iOS music makers use whatever apps Apple suggests they use.

@Turntablist and you used this forum to post that in. You go in circles..now rotate your Technics 1200s & do a Crab Scratch cos - “all that scratching is making me itch” Turntablist

• I personally know a lot more people using iOS to make music that don’t use this forum, than those who do, in fact most of them have never even heard of Audiobus, the only thing they know about any of Michaels apps is some Billy Joel video on YouTube that i get sent on occasion, portablism is huuuuge with iOS devices, how often do you see loopers (DJ Loopers) mentioned here, never, thats how often (confusing uh, because it certainly isn’t what you or anyone else here calls a looper, and would be seen as a toy ;) )
    Just because I chose to post on this forum, does not mean it is a typical example of the iOS music making user base or eco system.

• I think the problem with Discord (in my biased opinion) is the “endless scrolling” syndrome, repetition, lack of cohesion, and the inability to make references.

Yeesh, I’m starting to act like I’m writing a thesis. I’m using “We” here but I’m actually talking about myself. It just seems less conceited if I keep saying “I”

1. We scroll too many times to actually get content. It’s a lot of people saying “hey”, “i’m new”, “what are the best iOS apps”, and whatnot. It’s not bad, but after seeing it time and time again, it’s a bit...exhausting
    2. Back to the first point, it’s the same thing over and over again. Audiobus allows you to see a new content, and you can check something new everyday. This was why it was difficult for me to fully leave the forum (I’ll cover this in another post)
    3. Articles come and go. Someone can raise another subject which changes the landscape of the discussion, and the previous question never fully gets answered. With this post, you have people who can give their thoughts contributing to it.
    4. It’s hard to reference previous content. As a newcomer into the forum, everyday I discover something new because of a post done previously. It changes my mindset. With discord, I’ll never ever go back to the previous posts. I doubt I can even see them.

Not saying Discord is bad. It has its uses (even as a scripter/student/developer/content creator/artist and most of all, a musician, I use it). But for a sustainable environment, I wouldn’t use it. That’s another reason I chose Patreon but I don’t want to bring that debate here (you don’t deserve that drama). I’ll be live on the Youtube chat at 1pm EST, and I’d love to hear and answer your questions. I purposely made time for this because it’s important to me.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Turntablist said:
    Discord is vastly superior if you find the relevant channels

Excellent, maybe you could help by answering the OP then and telling us all how?

• @anickt said:

@LeeB said:
    Here he goes again 🤣

I blame it on de virus 🤪

Not you mate 😀
    We posted at the same time

• @ReflectiveHaze said:

@Turntablist said:
    Discord is vastly superior if you find the relevant channels, this forum is a drip in an ocean, in fact this forum isn’t even a particle in an ocean even in comparison to a single piece of softwares discord if it is the right channel.

What is the center of the world for iOS creators? Just curious and want to go there too.

I already said, Apple suggestions, the average iOS user isnt seeking out forums for which app to buy, they are being told which app to buy.> @steve99 said:

@Turntablist said:

Excellent, maybe you could help by answering the OP then and telling us all how?

For one it is instant realtime interaction, second you will find yourself leaning towards groups that fit your particular level of social normalisation (there is much less chance of some powder puff collapsing on the floor and then regaining their poise and going on a rant, because you swore etc) There are plenty of reasons, but one i already gave is probably going to offend some people, and that in and of itself is another reason and enough of a reason not to keep listing reasons.
    If you find this forum better, good stuff, enjoy it.

• @Turntablist said:

@ReflectiveHaze said:

@Turntablist said:

What is the center of the world for iOS creators? Just curious and want to go there too.

I already said, Apple suggestions, the average iOS user isnt seeking out forums for which app to buy, they are being told which app to buy.> @steve99 said:

@Turntablist said:

For one it is instant realtime interaction, second you will find yourself leaning towards groups that fit your particular level of social normalisation (there is much less chance of some powder puff collapsing on the floor and then regaining their poise and going on a rant, because you swore etc) There are plenty of reasons, but one i already gave is probably going to offend some people, and that in and of itself is another reason and enough of a reason not to keep listing reasons.
    If you find this forum better, good stuff, enjoy it.

:joy:

I enjoyed that

• edited May 2020

@Turntablist has good points.

I must say I find Discord a little more laidback and chatty. Less statements, less positioning, less offence given or taken, than forums generally. More BS maybe but so fast to just move on. Sometimes a thread title anchors a conversation in a way that means it has to get worked to death. Discord flows a little easier I find. I also enjoy the unexpected conversations you get with instant messaging, instead of forum posts, that you suddenly spark up with someone you don't know.

But I prefer Audiobus for digging into apps and iOS production in a deeper way. It is more like research and development for me. And more developers are here because it is more established.

I like both!

• Discord feels like Slack, which feels like work.

• Discord seems to be like Facebook, but instead of evolving around personal accounts, it evolves around any other arbitrary topic.

It seems like it is a collection of forums for topics that have no own forum.

As we already have a forum about AudioBus and also AUM and in addition, any and all relevant App developer seems to be on-board, there are few reasons for an Discord channel.

We already have everything.

Also, I came to this forum after googling about lots of musical Apps on iOS, and nearly every link pointed into this very forum!
    So I finally subscribed :)

• @AudioGus said:
    Discord feels like Slack, which feels like work.

Oh damn no, SLack does feel like work, I do a lot of testing via Slack, I really dislike that platform.

• I think the love of Discord has really started to slow down.

• @AudioGus said:
    Discord feels like Slack, which feels like work.

This. I love slack. The real-time nature of it is wonderful. I write integrations for it so I can make my work life easier.

But in my personal life, I like the leisure pace and that I can easily search in a forum and not have to sift through shed loads of chat. If you think there are off topic posts here, just get in a real time chat.

That said, I find stuff in our slack off from multiple years back with search and it’s fast. Like...instant fast.

• edited May 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • To be honest, I am fairly sure that you could do chat/forum/support better in Drambo.

• @Turntablist said:
    To be honest, I am fairly sure that you could do chat/forum/support better in Drambo.

Duh

• edited May 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 I thought that @Turntablist meant that Drambo is better than a forum or Discord for this.

Like in "a new chat module" within Drambo, as Drambo can do anything and everything. :) :D

No?

• @tja said:
    @Max23 I thought that @Turntablist meant that Drambo is better than a forum or Discord for this.

Like in "a new chat module" within Drambo, as Drambo can do anything and everything. :) :D

No?

Who knows, maybe it will get a built-in browser to streamline the process of downloading patches from patch-storage or something and icing on the cake would be something like TubeAU built-in to sample stuff from YouTube and other sources but Apple would likely not approve it :)
    https://patchstorage.com/platform/drambo/

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Woooooosh as the sarcasm flies clean over their heads.

• edited May 2020

Discord is chat, not forum. Different beast. It's not that popular a and never will be, when compared to any forum or facebook group, simply because it's using is more time consuming ... It is simply different kind of communication.

It's more about realtime discussion, so you need to have time. Most people who have during day normal job, doesn't have so much free time to spend on realtime chat discussing stuff.. Realtime chat needs lot more attention than just forum .. in this point of view forum or facebook has big advantage - you read what interests you when you have some time, you write eventually some reply and they you can go back to your business ...

in 2018/2019 i was very active in cryptocurrency mining and trading and i was active on 3-4 Discord channels .. but it was really time consuming - so i'm telling things just based my experience .. i have normal daily job, where i'm still at computer (i'm coder), but discord-like chat is something, which i simply cannot afford. It eats too much time.

@Turntablist You are totally true that vast majority of people just purchase app which was suggested by apple in appstore (that's why for example Fruity Loops Mobile is constantly one of best selling apps in music apps segment). But those people, who wants after trying first one or two suggested apps move forward, who wants to explore more posibilities, they sooner or later end in Facebook iPad musician group or here at AB forum, simply because it's lot more easy to find those communities, than some hidden Discord channels.

Maybe you live in some bubble where lot of people you know are using Discord, but that is how social bubbles are working, every of us has own social bubble .. fact is, most people are using for searching informations Facebook and Google in first place - and both those ways ends inevitably here or on some big FCB group, not at Discord ...