Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Pitchshifter app with free pitch range?

I think I recall that in any pitchshifter apps I have tried, the pitchshifting always went in increments of semitones, there was no option for a free ranging pitch change that wasn't stepped in this way.

Can you think of any apps that do allow this kind of free, non-stepped pitchshifting?

Comments

• Preferably this would be an AU fx app, ideally that can do audio, not just midi, but interested in hearing about any options, even IAA.

• also may I raise the difficulty...:)
    is there any iOS pitch sfifter that also has formant shifting
    like https://www.quikquak.com/Prod_Pitchwheel.html
    ?

• Pile in there, no probs ;)

Yeah any interesting discussion about best pitchshifting apps would be welcome.

• edited May 2020

Virsyn Harmony Eight. It's not perfect but it has these features.

• Thanks @rs2000 curious to hear what is not perfect about it

• @Gavinski said:
    Thanks @rs2000 curious to hear what is not perfect about it

The pitch shifting quality and the formant shift options but to be honest, I'm coming from desktop apps that cost up to 100 times more so I would be joking to complain.

It's on sale currently and for the price of a Starbucks Grande I'd say it's a no-brainer.

• I just bought Virsyn BandShift last week because I was also looking for a pitch shifter. It’s got some unique modes that allow you select different bands in the frequency spectrum to transpose. So for instance, if you put a whole track through it, you could transpose just the bass drum, by selecting its frequency band.

Of course, you can transpose the entire spectrum uniformly as well. You select a range, and then use an axis to control pitch shift within that range - I didn’t hear any stepping.

Also AUv3, and works on live audio.

• Thnx folks, yeah Bandshift sounds maybe the more interesting choice here. Have you done any other cool stuff with it Aleyas, other than the drum example given?

• Not yet actually. I bought it cause of this idea I had to slice up a drone with scatterbrain, use the multibus output to send to multiple instances of attack softener, then send those through different pitch shifters + delay... But so far it’s just an unexecuted plan! The eventual idea is to compose an entire piece with a single free running vco

• I like the sound of that!

• Harmonizr is often mentioned as the "most musical" pitch shifter on iOS. It does support a Base Tuning AU parameter from 400 to 500 Hz. So that might be employed for a modicum of pitch shifting.

• It’s not particularly ‘smooth’ or even great quality, but I’ve been immensely enjoying putting 4-6 pitch shifters in series in Drambo.

Shift up by an octave, down by 2 octaves, up by an octave and repeat, and you get this dirty, beautiful sound. Full of digital artifacts and aliasing, but turns a simple sawtooth into something like a female voice.

• May I bump this? I was just going to start a thread like this. There must be more ios apps that have pitch shifting algos. There is a ton of 'voice changer' apps out there. Any of them use any good algorithms? Does anyone know about a database/article on pitch shifting algorithms?
    Is there one which is frequently used in several apps?

• edited May 2020

Hey Johnny, here is a list of some apps I made just now that have pitch shifting functions of one kind or another. Doesn't mean they are all standard pitchshifter, and they definitely don't all have free pitch bend like I was asking about, but a useful jumping point :

Voice synth
    Turnado
    Shimmer fx
    Quatromod
    PitchshiftFX
    Objeq
    Micropitch
    Idensity
    Moebius Lab
    Frekvens
    Discord4
    Cs grain
    Cs spectral
    Crush Station
    Bandshift
    Atomizer

This list is not exhaustive by any means, please feel free to add to it people.

• Brilliant, that is already quite a list. What about the DAWs? I know garage band has pitch and formant. I am actually really waiting for the Auditor app to get pitch shift and time stretch. With some luck that will happen soon.

• Looking forward to the auditor update too! No idea about daws, I basically just use AUM, and apematrix too, very occasionally. Though given my love for all things ape, I might have to start trying to use apematrix more...

• Apematrix is also somewhere on my list but first I have to properly understand AUM :smile: The next app I'll probably buy will be moebius lab so good to see it on this list!

• edited May 2020

Frekvens keeps crashing in AUM for me tho ...gonna try some virsyn stuff thnx @Gavinski

• I’m certainly not trying to put you off giving money to this fantastic developer, but did u see my earlier thread? I just made a tutorial on Moebius, you could win a code instead of having to buy, deets on the YouTube page:

• edited May 2020

wooop missed it gonna chk asap
    dammit more options more problems :#
    nah but this Lab thing looks dope

• edited May 2020

Not remotely! It’s a mad mad deep multi fx app. It’s not any kind of classic pitch shifter, it just allows pitch changes of loaded samples. That list should perhaps be called apps with pitch-related fx capabilities, it’s by no means all pitchshifters. And ios has nothing that comes close to melodyne, apparently, at least not yet.

• @Gavinski sooo of all your findings u settled for the Lab then?

• No no, not at all. I love Moebius as a general multi fx unit. Of the actual real pitch shifter apps, I’m not sure which will suit me best, been too busy with my moebius tutorial to investigate properly yet.

• Based on what I gather your taste to be, @noob, btw, Moebius is very much your kind of thing, guaranteed.

• Haven't watched the video yet but will soon!

Okay, so there is an older thread here which had a similar question.

Twistedwave (this seems to do what you want @Gavinski ) and Hokusai have pitchshifting.

Audiostretch also seems good for pitchshifting. Not clear about its limitations.

• Thanks Johnny! No, for me by far the most important thing is being able to use live, neither of these have that function it seems, unfortunately

• Mmm, looks potentially quite simple but good, though the sound quality in the youtube demos is so bad it is hard to tell

• edited May 2020

thnx @Gavinski gonna try the Lab some day

• Audio Damage Discord has two independent pitch shifters that work in 1-cent increments; that should fit the bill. You can also quantize the shift to semitone increments, apply LFOs, apply feedback/cross-feedback to the delay lines, and apply a “smearing” effect for shimmer-reverb-esque effects. There are three algorithms that radically change the character of the sound.

It’s very much a “character” effect though. It has a particularly vintage/harsh sound, and past about +- 4 semitones it starts to get glitchy and weird. I love it but YMMV.