Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What is the SMALLEST 2 channel (guitar/mic) USB audio interface?

13»

Comments

• @mjcouche said:
    @josh83 I don’t remember who posted on this thread about the Centrance Mixerface R4 - but this is now at the top of my wishlist and I think this would fulfill your needs. Unless you need more than 2 inputs. It is rechargeable, battery powered so you can do 48v phantom power without a powered usb hub, and looks very solidly built. They also have other options with a built in Micro SD card recorder and mics similar to the zoom stereo mic setup. Saving up now.

Thanks for your comment. As stated in my initial post, size is the biggest criterion for me, so the Mixerface is much too big.

• According to a guy on YouTube ( around 7:30"), there exists a "bridged mode" which sets the 1/8" to mono and allows to connect something to the 1/4" simultaneously.

Maybe you need the proprietary app running for this? If so, would this work together with Audiobus?

• Haha, I feel I'm going berserk soon, but I found the answer I was looking for.

While the 30pin version allows to switch between 3 modes (see https://www.sonomawireworks.com/guitarjackmodel2/guide/)...

• Instrument (1/4 inch) - mono - Pad, Lo-Z or Hi-Z mode
    • Mic/Line (1/8 inch) - mono, dual-mono or stereo - Pad, Normal or Boost mode
    • Both inputs - Mic/Line input on right channel and Instrument on left channel

...the USB version only allows either using the 1/4 or the 1/8 input (see https://www.sonomawireworks.com/guitarjack/guitarjack2usb/guide.php):

• Instrument (1/4 inch) - mono Hi-Z
    • Mic/Line (1/8 inch) - mono or stereo

Some quotes more quotes from https://www.sonomawireworks.com/guitarjack/guitarjack2usb/guide.php#difference:

GuitarJack 2 USB does not access the GuitarJack Model 2 Control Panel and does not have a Control Panel of its own. Instead, GuitarJack 2 USB input level is set using standard input level controls on mobile or desktop devices and/or select apps. GuitarJack 2 USB can record in stereo with its 1/8" input Recording can only be done using one input at a time with GuitarJack 2 USB.
    GuitarJack 2 USB auto detects instruments: By default GuitarJack 2 USB is set to use the mic/line input. GuitarJack 2 USB auto detects instruments plugged into the 1/4" input, and goes to Hi-Z. GuitarJack Model 2 does not auto detect instruments, but can be configured using the GuitarJack Model 2 control panel.

So there we have it, like you said in the post above. No more fiddling around needed. Bummer!

Still it is a nice little device. Too bad they didn't update it for usage with current gear and apps.

• I think I gave up with both guitar and mic with the 30pin, just too much faffing around and setup, continually stopping the music making process. It’s a settings screen within four-track or toneworks, I’m not sure if they’re still available or working (four-track is on my device and does still fire up, but I don’t think it’s ever updated now). The settings do persist when you switch app, but it’s not a smooth workflow.

The mic input is still stereo, so you need an odd cable to put a mono mic in, I can remember it confusing the hell out of me (the splitter cable solved it finally, but then you have an extra XLR dangling around). Honestly, I wouldn’t advise going there unless you have a strong masochistic streak. They’re great for guitar alone, beyond that it’ll test your patience.

• @steve99 said:
    Honestly, I wouldn’t advise going there unless you have a strong masochistic streak. They’re great for guitar alone, beyond that it’ll test your patience.

I sometimes do have a masochistic streak, haha! ;-)

Well, I will just accept that the UGM96 (which I ordered already) needs an additional power source, and that a little power bank will hopefully be enough to serve it. :smile:

Thanks a lot for your help, @steve99.

Over and out.

• No problem and good luck. Nothing worse than acquiring knowledge and having no one to share it with. I think this thread did a pretty comprehensive job of reviewing the available options, imperfect as they may be - and for once I didn’t buy anything new :)

• @steve99 said:
    No problem and good luck. Nothing worse than acquiring knowledge and having no one to share it with. I think this thread did a pretty comprehensive job of reviewing the available options, imperfect as they may be - and for once I didn’t buy anything new :)

You're right. And I still have pretty much no clue about all those different microphones (big vs. small, powered, dynamic, electret, whatever) available, and which one would work best for me. I'll save that for another thread. ;-)

I'll definitely post a review of the UGM96 as soon as I get it.

• edited June 2020

Interesting addition from the ESI support (the manufacturers of the UGM192):

The new ESI UGM192 has nearly the same size as the old UGM96, it is only 17mm longer.

The UGM96 and UGM192 as well has two independent analog input and output channels. The old UGM96 as a second headphone out but this playout the same signal as on the other Line/headphone out, is not separate.

You need an Apple camera connection kit as well a powered USB hub (5V) to connect the UGM96 to an iOS device. Because the iOS device not deliver enough power over the camera connection kit. For example the new UGM192 has USB-C connector and can connect directly to a iOS device with USB-C connector like the iPad Pro no CC-Kit or USB hub is necessary.

Just for the records.

• Hey guys, I'm back! :smiley:

I finally managed to get an UGM96 (OEM version from OrangeAmps)! But it has a minor (?) issue, maybe someone here has an idea how to solve it? I created a new thread so this one would not become off-topic.

External sound interface claims to consume too much power on iOS, but works with USB hub in between!