Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What is the SMALLEST 2 channel (guitar/mic) USB audio interface?

Comments

• edited May 2020

Adding some honorable mentions here, after searching through Amazon:

The Guitarface II looks quite nice, is a bit bulkier than the UGM96, but still pretty portable. And according to this video it doesn't need an external power source to run, it will be powered from the iPhone, AFAIK.

The Saramonic SmartRig+DI offers something similar, but much bulkier (it offers 2 XLR inputs), and runs from separate batteries.

The Line 6 Mobile In seems to be equally small like the UGM96 or the GuitarJack II. But it's only available through a 30pin Apple connector. Maybe with an adapter from 30pin female to 8pin male it would make this work with newer iOS devices?

• @rs2000 said:
    Best bang for the buck IMHO, and line in quality is much better than the (nicely small) Behringer UCA-202/222.

I am considering one of the Zoom units, but while researching the H1N I saw that it only records in 16bit when used as an interface.

Is this true? If so, do any of the Zoom units record in 24bit in audio interface mode?

Thanks

• edited May 2020

@josh83 said:

The Line 6 Mobile In seems to be equally small like the UGM96 or the GuitarJack II. But it's only available through a 30pin Apple connector. Maybe with an adapter from 30pin female to 8pin male it would make this work with newer iOS devices?

Works fine with the 30-pin to lightning adapter. I got my Line6 MobileIn for free some years ago from a local music store. It was impossible for them to sell them since most current iOS devices were already based on lightning...

• @Samu said:

Works fine with the 30-pin to lightning adapter. I got my Line6 MobileIn for free some years ago from a local music store. It was impossible for them to sell them since most current iOS devices were already based on lightning...

I too still use my MobileIn which I bought for a peanut - but it has no audio out, so no good for devices without a headphone jack.

• @josh83 said:
    Just to get it right: you don't use the 1/4" mono input at all here? But just the 1/8" stereo line input? This raises two questions:

1) What happens if you use all three together, the 1/4" mono (for a guitar"), and the 1/8" stereo (for both a microphone and maybe a bass or ukulele)? What does Audiobus show you regarding available inputs?

Yes, just the stereo 1/8" input, but it is a stereo mic input , not line. I'd say using all the inputs would create problems. It won't show you any more options, but something won't be happy, I'll let you test that :)

This worked both direct to CCK and through USB powered hub.

Great to hear, so no additional powerbank (or other power source) is needed, right? What do you feel, does it consume a lot of power? Will the iPhone battery be drained very quickly?

I've never thought it particularly dramatic on the battery drain, no quantitative data on that.

And one last question: What about phantom power etc.? Can you really connect a dynamic mic like the Shure SM58 to a default line in??

Yes you can really connect an SM58, but that doesn't need phantom power.

• @hadje22 said:
    do any of the Zoom units record in 24bit in audio interface mode?

The Zoom U-44 (https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/production-recording/audio-interfaces/u-44-handy-audio-interface) states this:

the U-44 comes equipped with the features you need to record 24-bit/96 kHz audio anywhere

So I think it would fit your need. There's also the U-24 (https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/production-recording/audio-interfaces/u-24-handy-audio-interface) which is a little bit smaller, but I bought the 44 because it allows to attach an EXH-6 (https://www.zoom-na.com/products/product-accessories/zoom-exh-6-dual-xlrtrs-input-capsule-zoom-h5-h6-u-44-f1-and-f4) which adds another 2 inputs (so you can connect up to 4 instruments or mics).

• @Samu said:
    Works fine with the 30-pin to lightning adapter.

Nice!

I got my Line6 MobileIn for free some years ago from a local music store. It was impossible for them to sell them since most current iOS devices were already based on lightning...

Lucky guy! Looking on the net, I find them for $40+, and the shipping to Europe would cost again around $50... :-1: Anyone willing to sell theirs? :blush:

I too still use my MobileIn which I bought for a peanut - but it has no audio out, so no good for devices without a headphone jack.

Important detail! My iPhone 5S still has an audio jack, so I guess this would work. (I'm thinking of upgrading to an iPhone SE one day which still would work then.)

• edited May 2020

@steve99 said:

@josh83 said:

I would love to hear from you soon. I'm tempted to order a 2nd hand item on eBay because of the fact that it can be powered by the iPhone alone (as far as I understood). But would it be possible to attach a dynamic mic (e.g. the Shure SM58) to it? Maybe with a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter or something like that?

Right. Good news. I just the Guitarjack USB 2 with my phone and it worked so well with mic and guitar I'm sure I must be doing something wrong :)

If you're in Europe you've probably seen 3 here on ebay for £59.99 advertised as new:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sonoma-Wire-Works-GuitarJack-Model-2-Brand-New-Free-Delivery/223996593238?hash=item34273cc456:g:LxEAAOSwt35drWj2

There's also a 30pin one second hand, just be mindful of the difference, it may well work, but not as versatile. Also the splitter cable method I outlined in my earlier post doesn't work in the same way as with the newer USB version.

edit - didn't mean to quote myself there, but I'm sure you're following @josh83

• What about the centrance mixerface?
    Seems to be a professional device:

https://centrance.com/mixerface/

• @hadje22 said:

@rs2000 said:
    Best bang for the buck IMHO, and line in quality is much better than the (nicely small) Behringer UCA-202/222.

I am considering one of the Zoom units, but while researching the H1N I saw that it only records in 16bit when used as an interface.

Is this true? If so, do any of the Zoom units record in 24bit in audio interface mode?

Thanks

That's what I see when recording in Auditor at 48kHz:

Does Auditor even make a difference between bit depths? I can see no indication.

• @josh83 said:

@hadje22 said:
    do any of the Zoom units record in 24bit in audio interface mode?

The Zoom U-44 (https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/production-recording/audio-interfaces/u-44-handy-audio-interface) states this:

the U-44 comes equipped with the features you need to record 24-bit/96 kHz audio anywhere

So I think it would fit your need. There's also the U-24 (https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/production-recording/audio-interfaces/u-24-handy-audio-interface) which is a little bit smaller, but I bought the 44 because it allows to attach an EXH-6 (https://www.zoom-na.com/products/product-accessories/zoom-exh-6-dual-xlrtrs-input-capsule-zoom-h5-h6-u-44-f1-and-f4) which adds another 2 inputs (so you can connect up to 4 instruments or mics).

Thanks I was just now looking at the U-44 and like it for the 24bit as well as the ability to use the capsules

peace

• @Iskander said:
    What about the centrance mixerface?
    Seems to be a professional device:

https://centrance.com/mixerface/

Very nice indeed, but I think technically it has to have the word 'Pro' after it to be considered a professional device, as IK Multimedia would doubtless confirm.

• @steve99 said:
    If you're in Europe you've probably seen 3 here on ebay for £59.99 advertised as new:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sonoma-Wire-Works-GuitarJack-Model-2-Brand-New-Free-Delivery/223996593238?hash=item34273cc456:g:LxEAAOSwt35drWj2

There's also a 30pin one second hand, just be mindful of the difference, it may well work, but not as versatile. Also the splitter cable method I outlined in my earlier post doesn't work in the same way as with the newer USB version.

Thanks. I didn't know that ebay.com, ebay.de and ebay.co.uk would yield such different results. Still, it's quite some money.

In case you didn't notice, can you please answer my questions here: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/805215/#Comment_805215

Cheers!

• edited May 2020

@josh83 said:
    In case you didn't notice, can you please answer my questions here: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/805215/#Comment_805215

Cheers!

I think I did in a post earlier at 3.19pm - did you see that one? If I missed something specific let me know. I'd link to the exact post, but I'm not entirely sure how to do that - how do you do that?

• @steve99 said:
    I think I did in a post earlier at 3.19pm - did you see that one? If I missed something specific let me know. I'd link to the exact post, but I'm not entirely sure how to do that - how do you do that?

I don't see any answers to some questions/comments of mine, so I'll re-post it here:

Just to get it right: you don't use the 1/4" mono input at all here? But just the 1/8" stereo line input? This raises two questions:

1) What happens if you use all three together, the 1/4" mono (for a guitar"), and the 1/8" stereo (for both a microphone and maybe a bass or ukulele)? What does Audiobus show you regarding available inputs?

Great to hear, so no additional powerbank (or other power source) is needed, right? What do you feel, does it consume a lot of power? Will the iPhone battery be drained very quickly?

EDIT: oops, I forgot the 2nd question! :wink:

2) If it is that simple to connect a microphone and a guitar through a standard stereo line in, what's the big fuzz with offering all these fancy 1/4" and XLR audio interfaces?? Why not simply offering a tiny interface that offers a 1/8" stereo input and let the user decide, what they need, and let them simply buy some adapters that fit their needs?!

And there arises question 3: anybody knows of a simple audio interface with a stereo 1/8" line in (and a stereo 1/8" out)? Could this make all other devices obsolete??

And one last question: What about phantom power etc.? Can you really connect a dynamic mic like the Shure SM58 to a default line in??

• @rs2000 said:

@hadje22 said:

@rs2000 said:

Thanks

Does Auditor even make a difference between bit depths? I can see no indication.

I spent way too much time downloading and reading each manual for the portable zoom units and it looks like all of them record only in 16bit when used as an audio interface...peace

• @hadje22 said:

@rs2000 said:

@hadje22 said:

@rs2000 said:

Thanks

I spent way too much time downloading and reading each manual for the portable zoom units and it looks like all of them record only in 16bit when used as an audio interface...peace

Before you decide, make sure you check the sound quality. Bit depth doesn't help if the analog and digital circuitry is not properly designed.

• @josh83 - curious - maybe you're blocking me ???

Here's my post with answers to your questions:

@steve99 said:

@josh83 said:

Yes, just the stereo 1/8" input, but it is a stereo mic input , not line. I'd say using all the inputs would create problems. It won't show you any more options, but something won't be happy, I'll let you test that :)

I've never thought it particularly dramatic on the battery drain, no quantitative data on that.

Yes you can really connect an SM58, but that doesn't need phantom power.

• Thank you, @steve99! In parts you have answered me indeed. But maybe you have some comment about this, too:

2) If it is that simple to connect a microphone and a guitar through a standard stereo line in, what's the big fuzz with offering all these fancy 1/4" and XLR audio interfaces?? Why not simply offering a tiny interface that offers a 1/8" stereo input and let the user decide, what they need, and let them simply buy some adapters that fit their needs?!

And this, too:

And there arises question 3: anybody knows of a simple audio interface with a stereo 1/8" line in (and a stereo 1/8" out)? Could this make all other devices obsolete??

Don't want to bother you, those questions just bothers me quite a bit at the moment, after looking for the "perfect" device for such a long time.

• edited May 2020

@josh83 said:
    Thank you, @steve99! In parts you have answered me indeed. But maybe you have some comment about this, too:

And this, too:

Don't want to bother you, those questions just bothers me quite a bit at the moment, after looking for the "perfect" device for such a long time.

I think the problem is the market size on offer for any manufacturer. Nembrini posted something earlier this week about simulations of non mainstream guitar amps representing a niche within a niche and not being commercially viable. You have a clear idea of what would be 'perfect' for you and so do I, but we ourselves are a niche within a niche within a niche. You only have to look at how many of the ingenious devices discussed in this thread have failed to gain much of a foothold, falling swiftly out of production.

The main issues for me are, as you highlight, a long history of too many connection types. This is only further compounded in our iOS world, the CCK and lightning connector are a design dead end. Maybe now with USB-C proliferating things will get simpler, though tech history doesn't really suggest that lasting for very long. In the meantime, as soon as you introduce adapters of any kind you introduce incompatibilities and confusion, bad reviews and shrinking sales. Power will always be an issue and, conversely, the smaller things get then the less perceived value for money.

Ultimately I believe the future is wireless for moving audio around, but by the time that happens who can say what our actual devices will be like or whether an 1/8th or an inch will still mean anything? Our mobile music revolution has been a happy bi-product of the one in phones and personal computing. Now that technology is so universal and cheap, maybe it can come back out of the communication devices and into bespoke musical hardware? The iMusicBox, could that make all other devices obsolete?...

Apologies for the essay, that's the Friday night cider post posted. Cheers.

ps you originally wanted an interface for guitar and mic - I gave you one of those... and then you wanted to plug a ukulele in as well. I applaud you for this, but maybe that's the nubb of why the 'perfect' device can never exist. Viva envelope pushing :)

• I've had a Sonoma Guitarjack 2 for several years and it's always knocking about in my guitar case if I need it on the go. The metal casing is very tough, built like a little tank, so no worries about it breaking. I've only ever used it for guitar - don't have a mic to test it with - but I can say the sound quality is very, very good. I've compared it to some other guitar interfaces and prefer it. My only complaints are the lack of an input level control on the actual unit (although, I've never had any problems with levels) and now having to use the 30-pin adaptor.

• Thank you for your essay, Steve! I found it very interesting.

@steve99 said:
    ...we ourselves are a niche within a niche within a niche. You only have to look at how many of the ingenious devices discussed in this thread have failed to gain much of a foothold, falling swiftly out of production.

Yeah, it seems obvious that for some reason all these nice little devices did not have the expected or needed financial success.

ps you originally wanted an interface for guitar and mic - I gave you one of those... and then you wanted to plug a ukulele in as well. I applaud you for this, but maybe that's the nubb of why the 'perfect' device can never exist. Viva envelope pushing :)

I was just surprised that you would be able to connect a dynamic mic like the SM58 to a line level input! I indeed tried to connect my generic dynamic mic (quite similar to an SM58) to my iRig 2 (which is made for connecting a guitar), and while I was able to record something through it, it was definitely not loud enough for performing. I set the input gain in Audiobus to the maximum AND the input gain in Group the Loop again to the maximum, which still was pretty quiet (and produced some noise like crackling, I think). Compared to the clean and nicely perceivable signal of my guitar (which has battery powered preamp), the signal definitely was much too quiet.

Alas, I don't have an SM58 at hand to counter-check, but I do believe that what you did with the Sonoma GuitarJack (attaching an SM58 through the line input) would not work well enough for street performing (unless the SM58 produces a much louder signal than my generic dynamic mic does). So If you still got a minute and want to proof/disproof and report back to me, I'd be very grateful (otherwise my head will not let me rest until I found a GuitarJack myself, haha).

Summing up, I ordered the UGM96 already and I hope that it will work as expected with both guitar and dynamic mic producing a reasonable volume level. I will definitely report back here once I got it and tested it thoroughly.

• @pbelgium said:
    I've had a Sonoma Guitarjack 2 for several years and it's always knocking about in my guitar case if I need it on the go. The metal casing is very tough, built like a little tank, so no worries about it breaking. I've only ever used it for guitar - don't have a mic to test it with - but I can say the sound quality is very, very good. I've compared it to some other guitar interfaces and prefer it. My only complaints are the lack of an input level control on the actual unit (although, I've never had any problems with levels) and now having to use the 30-pin adaptor.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. It seems to be a nice device, indeed. What about the missing line output? I suppose you're still using an old iPhone/iPad with separate audio jack?

• edited June 2020

@josh83 said:
    It seems to be a nice device, indeed. What about the missing line line output?

The sonoma guitarjack 2 (usb & 30pin) does have a line output, it’s the line 6 mobile in that doesn’t.

The split 1/8” trs input on the guitarjack is mic level, not line, so the mic is handled ok. I guess in theory the guitar should be compromised, but it too sounds ok (stretching my audio level physics at this point).

I will rise to your challenge and do a proper test with mic and guitar. I spent time and money making it work with both, but once I did I’ve only ever really used the guitar input (other than checking it worked last week). Maybe this will be the start of the great album project...

• @steve99 said:

@josh83 said:
    It seems to be a nice device, indeed. What about the missing line line output?

The sonoma guitarjack 2 (usb & 30pin) does have a line output, it’s the line 6 mobile in that doesn’t.

Thanks for clarifying that! Good to know that it will also work with newer iOS models, then.

The split 1/8” trs input on the guitarjack is mic level, not line, so the mic is handled ok. I guess in theory the guitar should be compromised, but it too sounds ok (stretching my audio level physics at this point).

Wow, a year ago I would never have thought that there are soooo many different configurations and ways to achieve/prevent stuff to work they way as is needed: XLR, 1/4", 1/8", mono, stereo, levels, phantom power... so many possible combinations!

Notice to myself then: 1/8" inputs can have different levels, too!

I will rise to your challenge and do a proper test with mic and guitar. I spent time and money making it work with both, but once I did I’ve only ever really used the guitar input (other than checking it worked last week). Maybe this will be the start of the great album project...

Good to hear! And while you're at it: what happens if you connect an additional guitar or ukulele to the 1/4" input? :wink: Thank you...

• And one last thing @steve99:

I found this review on Amazon:

I HAVE PURCHASED TWO OF THESE; GUITARJACK 1 AND GUITARJACK2; AND NEITHER ALLOW FOR RECORDING AND MONITORING BOTH A GUITAR AND MIC AT THE SAME TIME ON AN IPAD OR IPHONE; EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE ADVERTISED THAT THEY DO. VERY DISSAPPOINTED

I am sooo close to getting one of these (although it will cost me quite a fortune with shipping and import fees), as it seemingly has everything I need (incl. not being dependent from an additional power source). But as I want to loop both my guitar and voice, I definitely need to be able to record both a guitar and a mic at the same time (and also independently, if needed). Can you confirm that the inputs are available as separate channels e.g. in Audiobus?

• @josh83 I don’t remember who posted on this thread about the Centrance Mixerface R4 - but this is now at the top of my wishlist and I think this would fulfill your needs. Unless you need more than 2 inputs. It is rechargeable, battery powered so you can do 48v phantom power without a powered usb hub, and looks very solidly built. They also have other options with a built in Micro SD card recorder and mics similar to the zoom stereo mic setup. Saving up now.

• I think that review comment is regarding the separate guitar and mic inputs - you can’t use them both at the same time (definitely not on the USB, maybe on the 30pin) - hence the need for the splitter cable to split the stereo mic input into 2 inputs.

A question for you though @josh83 - which looping software are you going to use? I’m pretty sure loopy in Audiobus doesn’t see the L &R inputs separately (although it does when used standalone). I’ve always done my guitar and vocal loops separately one at a time, or together on the same loop, but with both inputs always open by default.

I’ve also looped with an line 6 pod Hd500 into my iPad (via an interface) using the foot switches to mute either guitar or mic inputs to the iPad, but I don’t think that it’s possible to route/mute in Loopy in Audiobus. I may be wrong though, I guess you could mute the input in Audiobus itself?

I’ll check this all out tomorrow, hopefully everything will come flooding back or I’ll find a piece of paper I wrote it all down on before.

Short version of that question is which looping app are you using in Audiobus?

• edited June 2020

@josh83

Just been having a play. Now technically street ready myself, though still lacking the necessary courage.

Yes, L&R / Guitar and mic on the Guitarjack II definitely available as separate channels in Audiobus. As I thought, Loopy sees both inputs as one from Audiobus, but you can mute either input channel in Audiobus.

You have no control over the input levels on the device, but you can use the Audiobus mixer. Levels were ok for my recording, turned my guitar down a bit to fit the vocals (from SM58).

I did fire up the Sonoma 4-track app which gives you some input controls, but frankly it just confuses the issue for me, much simpler just to plug and play.

I did plug in to the 1/4" input at the same time, it over-rides the mic input, so no, you can't have both (though maybe you can on the 30pin version).

Ultimately my conclusion is that the Guitarjack II is indeed the smallest device offering mic and guitar without needing power. However, I still think something like the Zoom (I have the U24) is more practical and gives you so much more control and flexibility. If you can pick a Guitarjack II up for not much money it is a useful thing to have, but not necessarily the perfect solution you are seeking.

EDIT: I just read some of the online manual - it's answered some of my questions of differences between 30 pin and USB versions and says the 1/8" input on USB is mic/line (both, not one or the other). It's all slightly confusing and I think that's why it never did well. Fact is, for me it works and sounds ok.

https://www.sonomawireworks.com/guitarjack/guitarjack2usb/guide.php#techspecs

• Thanks for these thorough explanations, @steve99!

@steve99 said:
    Yes, L&R / Guitar and mic on the Guitarjack II definitely available as separate channels in Audiobus. As I thought, Loopy sees both inputs as one from Audiobus, but you can mute either input channel in Audiobus.

Nice!

You have no control over the input levels on the device, but you can use the Audiobus mixer. Levels were ok for my recording, turned my guitar down a bit to fit the vocals (from SM58).

Would work for me, I think.

I did plug in to the 1/4" input at the same time, it over-rides the mic input, so no, you can't have both (though maybe you can on the 30pin version).

So THAT'S a stupid thing then! Why would anyone design it like this? Doesn't make any sense to me. The 1/4" input definitely seems to be the prominent one (it's taking quite a lot of space from the overall device), but by plugging in a guitar it disables the mic? What genius would design something like that? So I need a splitter cable to plug both a mic and a guitar into the device, and only that allows me to use it the way it is advertised? This doesn't make any sense to me.

Did you try to connect both a guitar through the 1/4" and a single mic (mono) to the 1/8" connector? Maybe this would change the stereo input to a mono? Then it would be rather a feature than an oddity that when inserting a stereo cable into the 1/8", the 1/4" would be overridden. This way, the user can choose.

Though, just seeing your other comment:

I think that review comment is regarding the separate guitar and mic inputs - you can’t use them both at the same time (definitely not on the USB, maybe on the 30pin) - hence the need for the splitter cable to split the stereo mic input into 2 inputs.

This doesn't leave a lot of hope...

Ultimately my conclusion is that the Guitarjack II is indeed the smallest device offering mic and guitar without needing power. However, I still think something like the Zoom (I have the U24) is more practical and gives you so much more control and flexibility.

I will keep my Zoom U-44 for a while, and will see what works for me. I was soooo close to getting a GuitarJack II USB from eBay (despite horrendous shipping costs), but now I'm hesitant again.

EDIT: I just read some of the online manual - it's answered some of my questions of differences between 30 pin and USB versions and says the 1/8" input on USB is mic/line (both, not one or the other). It's all slightly confusing and I think that's why it never did well. Fact is, for me it works and sounds ok.

https://www.sonomawireworks.com/guitarjack/guitarjack2usb/guide.php#techspecs

I will take a look at it, thank you.

I'm using Group the Loop for looping, by the way. :-)