Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Connecting ipad/audiobus to mac osx

I own a single usb audio device and 2 keyboards,,
All connected to my ipad pro..

Now i bought a used mac running Mainstage
I want to connect the mac to the ipad using the ipads usb hub..
Both midi and audio
And then use audiobus for routing audio and midi..

So what not to expensive options do i have?
I just want to send/receive midi to the mac

Comments

• wimwim
    edited May 2020

Got a lightning cable? You should be able to route audio and midi to the Mac using IDAM. With IDAM you can send audio to the Mac (but not the other direction), and MIDI both ways. If you're connected to the hub the way I think you are, then you just need to plug the uplink of the hub to the Mac instead of your iPad and plug your iPad into one of the regular hub ports.

All the devices should be talking then. Setup in Audiobus and in the Mac Audio/Midi settings varies from there, so feel free to detail what you're trying to accomplish if you need help.

You can also connect MIDI to/from the Mac via Bluetooth - though that may be dependent on how old your Mac OS and hardware are.

If you need to go both ways for audio, then there's a program called StudioMux that may work for you. It has not been maintained in a long time, and isn't compatible with macOS Catalina, so ymmv.

[edit ... testing further, I haven't been able to route midi from a connected keyboard to iOS in this scenario. I'm new at exploring IDAM, so I could just be doing something wrong. But it could also be that it's not possible to send to any other device than the one connected to the hub uplink port.]

• If you really just want to send midi back and forth, you can setup either Bluetooth or WiFi midi between the iPad and the Mac.

• wimwim
    edited May 2020

Yep, Bluetooth works great for midi, but not for audio.

• related question:

is there a way to run Logic as master clock on my Mac, and sync with Audiobus or AUM as slave on the iPad?

• wimwim
    edited May 2020

@pete12000 said:
    related question:

is there a way to run Logic as master clock on my Mac, and sync with Audiobus or AUM as slave on the iPad?

With Audiobus, yes. You can send midi clock to it. If you load AUM into Audiobus, then you can use Audiobus to bridge midi clock to Link to sync AUM.

I don't know if Logic supports Ableton Link, but if it does, that would be a more direct way to sync AUM.

• @wim said:

@pete12000 said:
    related question:

With Audiobus, yes. You can send midi clock to it. If you load AUM into Audiobus, then you can use Audiobus to bridge midi clock to Link to sync AUM.

I don't know if Logic supports Ableton Link, but if it does, that would be a more direct way to sync AUM.

Thanks @wim, I'll give it a try.

• @pete12000 said:

@wim said:

@pete12000 said:
    related question:

Thanks @wim, I'll give it a try.

BTW, I tried it from another program (I don't have Logic) and it worked over USB, but not over Bluetooth. That's understandable
    considering the heavy bandwidth and critical timing for MIDI clock.