Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence/Auria/Beatmaker3 MIDI compatibility problems

After searching the forum, I’m still struggling with moving MIDI files around in the XEQ/Auria/BM3 universes. Rather than rehash any possible fingerpointing between devs, I decided to set up a controlled test and just provide results here for @SevenSystems and @intua_vincent to consider.

Here’s the scenario and results:

1. Open empty Xeq2, add an empty clip, edit it and add some notes.
  2. Export the MIDI to MIDI01, then close Xeq2.
  3. Open empty AuriaPro, create a short MIDI recording (create an empty clip).
  4. Edit it, add some notes, save it and export the MIDI to MIDI02.
  5. Import MIDI01 to AuriaPro, open it, edit it and close it, then export the MIDI to MIDI03.

You now have three MIDI files available:
MIDI01 - simple MIDI file created in Xeq2.
MIDI02 - simple MIDI file created in AuriaPro.
MIDI03 - copy of MIDI01 imported to Auria, modified, then exported.

1. Copy all three of these to MyMIDIs (a folder I created) in BM3.

2. Soft and Hard iPad reboot.

3. Start a new BM3 session.

4. Go to performance view and make sure “KEYS” is selected.
  5. Go back to Song mode and drag MIDI01 from MyMIDIs to the timeline.

*** HUGE FAIL *** It doesn’t import, and it locks up any further action in BM3.

1. Start a new BM3 session.
  2. Go to performance view for Bank A1 and make sure KEYS is selected.
  3. Return to Song mode and drag MIDI02 from MyMIDIs to the A1 timeline.
  4. It works fine.

5. Add another bank to the session (B1).

6. Go to performance view for Bank B1 and make sure KEYS is selected.
  7. Return to Song mode and drag MIDI03 from MyMIDIs to the B1 timeline.
  8. This also works fine.

As a follow up, I assigned AU instruments (Sunrizer to A1, Zeeon to B1), and started transport play. I hear them both.

Conclusions:

1. A simple MIDI file (MIDI01) created in Xequence2 would not import to Beatmaker 3.
  2. A simple MIDI file (MIDI02) created in Auria Pro does import to Beatmaker 3.
  3. A simple MIDI file created in Xequence2, exported, imported to Auria Pro and edited, then exported from Auria as MIDI03, will also import to Beatmaker 3.

Number 3 here is an obvious workaround for getting Xeq2 files into BM3, but it would sure be helpful if this wasn’t necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:

https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/44081#Comment_44081

I found the above in the intua beatmaker forum. The long and short is that X2 exports MIDI as type 1, and BM3 expects type 0. So one of two things has to happen:

1. X2 needs an option to export type 0, or...
  2. BM3 needs to recognize type 1.

Right?

Personally, as per the post on intua, I feel BM3 needs more robust MIDI handling.

Found my answer, but it’s just one more example of the reasons why some users on THIS forum are leaving iOS as a music platform. It seems there’s always just one more hill to climb.