Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking for: AU like BeatHawk that allows loading of samples with audition in loading screen/menu?

Looking for the mpc like layout, but as far as I can tell,beathawk only allows for recording samples or purchased packs...

Is there a pad layout app, as an AU that allows you to audition the sounds during the loading stage?

Comments

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    Looking for the mpc like layout, but as far as I can tell,beathawk only allows for recording samples or purchased packs...

Is there a pad layout app, as an AU that allows you to audition the sounds during the loading stage?

You can load your own samples in BeatHawk -- including sliced loops.

• Also you can audition them, tap on it once to select it then once again to hear it. Keep your finger on it for a loop.

• edited May 2020

@robosardine said:
    Also you can audition them, tap on it once to select it then once again to hear it. Keep your finger on it for a loop.

How?

In user folder in the browser I can use iCloud Drive, which then allows me to navigate to AudioShare and see my samples, but at that point I’m in the files app and I can’t audition the sound until I bring it into beathawk.

I’m SPECIFICALLY looking for an app where auditioning of the sound is part of the loading process... like for example Poly2.

I could maybe live with beathawk if you could import directories, but one at a time via files app is too painful.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@robosardine said:
    Also you can audition them, tap on it once to select it then once again to hear it. Keep your finger on it for a loop.

How?

In user folder in the browser I can use iCloud Drive, which then allows me to navigate to AudioShare and see my samples, but at that point I’m in the files app and I can’t audition the sound until I bring it into beathawk.

I’m SPECIFICALLY looking for an app where auditioning of the sound is part of the loading process... like for example Poly2.

I could maybe live with beathawk if you could import directories, but one at a time via files app is too painful.

In BeatHawk, is the issue for you that you can't audition a sound in the Files browser when picking a file or auditioning already imported audio?

• @espiegel123 said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@robosardine said:

How?

In BeatHawk, is the issue for you that you can't audition a sound in the Files browser when picking a file or auditioning already imported audio?

As with Poly 2, you can audition sounds that you have imported but not in the import (the Files app browser).

• @espiegel123 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@robosardine said:

How?

As with Poly 2, you can audition sounds that you have imported but not in the import (the Files app browser).

Yea, I have a bunch of apps that all go to files app, but that doesn’t help when trying to find a kick out of hundreds of files. Poly2 sorta helped because you can import directories at a time. Wasteful storage wise, but I can live with it.

Now I need a manually triggered pad app like beathawk that’s an AU. But I want something where sample management is not so painful or doesn’t require me to duplicate gigs of sample just so I can audition them.

Make sense?

• Ah right!- ‘as part of the process’ vs ‘during the process’
    Can’t help you on this one I’m afraid 🤔

• Too bad their browser doesn't support multiple selections. Then you could import a bunch of samples at once. RFE?

• @robosardine said:
    Ah right!- ‘as part of the process’ vs ‘during the process’

Sometimes it feels like devs never actually use their own, or even anyone else’s, apps to make music... otherwise there would not be so many glaring workflow issues in so many iOS apps...

It’s like buying a car where all the parts work, but just not to actually drive it. 🤪

• this isn’t the answer you’re looking for, or myself but what i’ve found i have to do is let the project i’m working on play... themn separately go to files app and select a sound / audition it... when i found it then go to import it. def not easy peasy but i don’t know another way with some app

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@robosardine said:

Sometimes it feels like devs never actually use their own, or even anyone else’s, apps to make music... otherwise there would not be so many glaring workflow issues in so many iOS apps...

It’s like buying a car where all the parts work, but just not to actually drive it. 🤪

Or, more likely, they have a different preferred workflow than you. Most music software programmers are musicians of some ilk who could make more money doing something else. The differences in people’s preferred workflows and preferences is more varied than anyone who hasn’t developed music software realizes.

• @espiegel123 said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@robosardine said:

Or, more likely, they have a different preferred workflow than you. Most music software programmers are musicians of some ilk who could make more money doing something else. The differences in people’s preferred workflows and preferences is more varied than anyone who hasn’t developed music software realizes.

Come on man... the inability to audition a sample BEFORE you load it is not some candidate for moral relativism, it’s fucking stupid, full stop. Bad design is bad design.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@robosardine said:

How?

What’s the use case for this work flow? I think I understand what you want to do (you want the sample to play while it’s loading if I understood correctly) but I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around when this would be needed as opposed to auditioning a sample before it you load it. You must have a reason for wanting this though so I’d like to understand.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@espiegel123 said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@robosardine said:

Come on man... the inability to audition a sample BEFORE you load it is not some candidate for moral relativism, it’s fucking stupid, full stop. Bad design is bad design.

Who said anything about moral relativism? You made a statement that the programmer obviously isn't a musician because it does work the way you wish. By your logic, pretty much not a single iOS music app was written by a musician.

Sure it would be nice if you could. The OS actually gets in the way. Programmers prioritize where they spend their time.

You can adjust your workflow easily enough. Is it less convenient than auditioning from a file picker? Sure...but the OS didn't build auditioning audio as it did in the desktop.

It doesn't make the programmer an idiot not to have done it.

• Maybe the dev has a different vision of the app than you. Personally I have no use for loading samples into any app because nothing kills my creative vibe more quickly than that. But what do I know I’m a guitar/keyboard player so I just want to plug in and play.

• I think it a good idea.

I encourage you to submit a request at https://support.uvi.net/

An easier change for nearly the same benefit would be to support multi-select so that multiple clips can be imported at once.

• edited May 2020

One option is to load all the files in audioshare. Use splitscreen plus pull over and have files, beathawk and audioshare open. That way you can audition in audioshare and drag and drop from files.

Edit-Actually beat hawk only supports pull over. But you could still essentially do it. Just have to preview in audioshare and then swap over to files.

Edit 2-Just noticed that if you flick the bottom of the pull over window up, it allows you to quickly switch the pull over app. 👍

• @mrufino1 said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@robosardine said:

How?

What’s the use case for this work flow? I think I understand what you want to do (you want the sample to play while it’s loading if I understood correctly) but I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around when this would be needed as opposed to auditioning a sample before it you load it. You must have a reason for wanting this though so I’d like to understand.

I am guessing that "during the loading stage" means 'before it's in the app I'm loading it into'.

• @ashh said:

@mrufino1 said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@robosardine said:

How?

I am guessing that "during the loading stage" means 'before it's in the app I'm loading it into'.

It’s not some obscure idea here guys... before I load a sample into an app, it kiiiinnda makes sense I’d want to know what that sample sounds like...

Whatever... I’ll find another app...

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@ashh said:

@mrufino1 said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@robosardine said:

How?

It’s not some obscure idea here guys... before I load a sample into an app, it kiiiinnda makes sense I’d want to know what that sample sounds like...

No one said it wasn't a good idea. We merely said not having it doesn't make the programmer idiotic -- we also pointed out that pretty much no iOS (or more accurately very few) allow previewing before loading. Not everyone needs to import folders full of samples at a time. Sure, it would be useful but, again, it isn't a lack that qualifies the programmers as idiots that haven't used their apps.

• edited May 2020

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@ashh said:

@mrufino1 said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@robosardine said:

How?

Chill, brother. It's frustrating, for sure. A drive full of samples and you want to quickly scroll through them in your app of choice. The file names won't cut it. I feel you.

• Beathawk is how old? It came out in 2015, when IAA was still pretty new. It's amazing that they reconfigured it to work as an AUv3.

Everything is amazing and nobody is happy.

• wimwim
    edited May 2020

@ExAsperis99 said:

Truth! Why do the smallest hindrances in apps that do so many other amazing things set us off so?

Maybe it's because I spent the first half of my music-making life with a guitar that needed constant tuning, cleaning strings, changing strings, lugging amps around, adapting to PA and monitor systems, etc. etc. etc, and was a bitch to learn to play, that I don't ever get seriously bothered by any of the iOS headaches that seem so tiny by comparison. To me making music is expected to be hard. It's when it isn't, that I get amazed. :D

What else (cooking, cleaning, driving a car, getting dressed in the morning, shopping for groceries, raising a kid, taking a crap, doing laundry .... ) is so efficient? I just don't understand why just because it happens on a lil' tiny glass screen that it has to be so perfect to be fun 😂

Sorry - I'm not ranting, and really hoping not to dis anyone. And definitely not saying anyone should be like me. I get it that those feelings are real, and sometimes start to share them myself ... I'm just always scratching my head over this phenomenon.

-peace (and sorry if I pissed anyone off)

• If you had an actual MPC wouldn't you have to record or import samples before you could audition them?

• edited May 2020

@wim said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Truth! Why do the smallest hindrances in apps that do so many other amazing things set us off so?

Maybe it's because I spent the first half of my music-making life with a guitar that needed constant tuning, cleaning strings, changing strings, lugging amps around, adapting to PA and monitor systems, etc. etc. etc, and was a bitch to learn to play, that I don't ever get seriously bothered by any of the iOS headaches that seem so tiny by comparison. To me making music is expected to be hard. It's when it isn't, that I get amazed. :D

What else (cooking, cleaning, driving a car, getting dressed in the morning, shopping for groceries, raising a kid, taking a crap, doing laundry .... ) is so efficient? I just don't understand why just because it happens on a lil' tiny glass screen that it has to be so perfect to be fun 😂

Sorry - I'm not ranting, and really hoping not to dis anyone. And definitely not saying anyone should be like me. I get it that those feelings are real, and sometimes start to share them myself ... I'm just always scratching my head over this phenomenon.

-peace (and sorry if I pissed anyone off)

Dude—who cleans their strings?

Haha! It’s all good. And guitars are far easier than synths.

• For a more practical post: I just flip over to AudioShare, preview the sounds there, then import when I've found one. Double navigation through the file tree, but that doesn't really bother me much. Sure, it would be fabulous if all apps had a preview in the import dialog. This should be a standard file open dialog supplied by Apple. But considering how lame their own method in the files app is, I wouldn't hold my breath.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Dude—who cleans their strings?

World's sweatiest hands. They're like a dog's tongue when playing live. :D

• I guess I did wipe down every night, otherwise, the next soundcheck was like tetanus waiting to happen!

• Beatmaker 3 allows you to audition samples in its own browser. But you have to load them in there first.

Auditor is a fairly new audio file management / editor / splicer that allows you to audition samples right from the Files / iCloud browser.

• I really do think that Beathawk has potential. But then again, I'm biased towards free things (even though I paid full price before it was briefly free, haha).

Maybe try using Documents by Readdle to demo the files before sending?

Sorry, I can't think of a true solution for this. Still a scripter, but there's some limitations. Maybe I should look at Audiocopy when I have a little more free time.

Anyways, @MonkeyDrummer, looking forward to the next release. Let us know what you end up using.