Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM MIDI OUT / MIDI SEND TO CONTROLLER

Hi folks,

I have a problem with AUM. I want that AUM send Midi Notes, Midi CCs out to my Controller. But it is not Possible. For Example Turnado has the option to send 8 Midi CCs out to a Controller. So when you turn the Encoder in Turnado, the Encoder also turns the Encoder on your Controller, (But only for 8 MidiCCs). Why is this feature not Universal in all Apps?

Comments

• edited May 2020

I not sure what that arrow meant to be on your screenshot...
    AUM allows you to send any available midi source to any available midi destination. What you described - Turnado sending midi to a controller or used as a controller inside AUM - is perfectly possible. As for why this isn't available for everything... probably to save midi traffic/cpu (not AUM limitation, but the app in question). In 99% of the cases you use your synth/fx as midi destination, not a source. For those tasks you usually use sequencer, generator, controller apps.

• AUM doesn't generate MIDI on its own, so it has nothing to send.

If you add Turnado to AUM as an AUv3 Music Effect then you can route MIDI from Turnado to any connected device or virtual port.

In your screenshot, I'm not seeing any connected devices. The destinations are on the right; sources are on top.

• edited May 2020

Here You can see what I mean. Zeeon and many other auv3 apps can receive Midi. But can‘t send Midi out (For Example to a Controller). TurnadoMidi can send MidiOut. Do you have other options to receive Midistatus like Encoder status or MidiNotes from your Ipad App to your Controller?

In this Example, I want to send VCO LevelStatus of Ruismaker Noir to my Controller. But It‘s not possible. When I turn the Encoder on my Controller, the VCOLevel changed. But When I turn the VCO on my Ipad, The Encoder doesn’t change. How can I solve this problem? Any Ideas?

• Like I said earlier, synths/fxs are midi receivers, it's very rare that they can be midi senders. My guess the reasoning behind this is midi traffic/cpu control. It could also lead to midi feedbacks, unwanted midi crosstalk between various apps etc. Yes, it would be cool... but it would come with bunch of issues. There is a reason why total recall controllers are expensive/dedicated/limited.

• edited May 2020

I use Midi Designer on a separate device over Bluetooth, it happily receives midi feedback for the controllers (like the OP's example with Turnado). Maybe try that with various Apps and see what works and what doesn't? Stick a midi monitor in the chain and see what CC's are being sent.

• I do this with Turnado in AUM, so it's not a problem with AUM itself.
  • wimwim
    edited May 2020

Hi @Frühstück, It's pretty simple. If the app doesn't send midi out, there is nothing you can do about it. Many apps do not send midi out. The developers just didn't see it as important.

As @steve99 mentioned, you can try using a third app as the control surface, sending and receiving from your controller. But that won't solve the problem of updating anything when you change settings in the app itself if it doesn't send midi.

Sorry, not what you wanted to hear unfortunately, but that's the way it is.

• Hey guys,
    I have the same problem. I wonder if there is an third party app or so for MIDI routing IN and OUT to solve this problem?

• edited December 2020

@psyndrome said:
    Hey guys,
    I have the same problem. I wonder if there is an third party app or so for MIDI routing IN and OUT to solve this problem?

Unfortunately, third party cannot provide this type of midi feedback, at least not universally.
    You’d need a standardised protocol (like Mackie HUI), and then support from AUM side.

You can try something like Mozaic or LK controlling AUM and sending feedback to HW controller - should work, but only when you are interacting with third party AU, so not very intuitive and requires quite some setting up.

• Hm... :(

It would be so cool if Jonatan could make send MIDI commands out of AUM to external MIDI controllers possible.

• edited December 2020

It would be really great if apps like AUM would have the option to also send MIDI out on any mapped controller as many are able to set e.g. their LEDs on
    Currently, I am working on a setup in Drambo with AKAI APC40 controller where I heavily employ custom Mozaic scripts which works as a memory for MIDI values I want to sync. It's quite a limitation as you need to use Mozaic, not the app/AU directly. But it's great for prepared macro controls you use for live performance and on loading a prepared instrument, you just send snapshot of all the values to APC40.
    But I agree this is completely overlooked on iOS compared to desktop. I remember about 12 years ago I had setup with Behringer BCF controller which has motorized faders and the DAW (not sure if it was Reason of Ableton Live) send the values, so the faders moved to their own position when loaded a project. People in the studio were a little scared what happened, it looked like magic when faders suddenly moved by themselves 😄

• Hehe... people were looking because those faders on BCF are so loud... 😂

This feature would make a lot more sense in a typical DAW, but afaik only Auria comes with standard support for MCU/HUI.
    In AUM, where due to its modular nature, quick access to all/any parameters is more important than general access, hidden behind pages on the controller...? which standard to support...?
    It seems like way too much work for little gain. Only few controllers actually benefit from such feature.

Some kind of midi feedback would be handy indeed... maybe we could lobby for a j_l, bb collab.
    Mozaic seems like a perfect candidate for deeper AUM integration :)

• edited December 2020

@0tolerance4silence said:
    Some kind of midi feedback would be handy indeed... maybe we could lobby for a j_l, bb collab.
    Mozaic seems like a perfect candidate for deeper AUM integration :)

That would be great! )

• Wow. I just realised that the AUM faders can not generate midi. I somehow took it for granted, that I could setup my Faderfox EC4 for bi-directional communication with AUM. The Faderfox encoders are always at zero when booted, so since the AUM project always remembers the fader positions, I was going to setup it up so the Faderfox receives those fader positions via CC.
    Ok, so that is on my wish list. 🙏🏻😊

• @LarsDaniel said:
    Wow. I just realised that the AUM faders can not generate midi. I somehow took it for granted, that I could setup my Faderfox EC4 for bi-directional communication with AUM. The Faderfox encoders are always at zero when booted, so since the AUM project always remembers the fader positions, I was going to setup it up so the Faderfox receives those fader positions via CC.
    Ok, so that is on my wish list. 🙏🏻😊

If you have Mozaic, the Controller Feedback and Restore may be helpful.

You would route the Faderfox through the script and then to control the AUM faders. When you save the AUM session the plugin remembers where the faders are and updates the controller accordingly. The big caveat is you have to only control through the Faderfox. If you update the AUM faders on-screen things will get out of sync.