Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Takete sample manipulation

starting this thread in the hope that Takete users will share their thoughts regarding the audio component of the app.

edit - also on sale for $12.99

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1012637066?at=11l3KP&mt=8&uo=4&ct=1

@Jmousseau72 said:
Just curious, how does Takete compare to JammPro? Seem like some similar concepts here.

i’ve only used Takete for a few hours. i haven’t used JammPro extensively, but i enjoy it, especially the time stretching algo’s.

in order to understand Takete i’ve needed to use prepared loops ( bpm ). i’ve loaded unprepared loops in as well.

using the ‘file player touch’ has some similarities to JammPro, but it feels very different.

it is reminiscent of parts of older versions of ableton live.

a user in the other thread mentioned that Takete wasn’t worth it for the audio component. i disagree. i’ve found that Takete brings unexpected and fantastic results.

the ‘file touch player’ is highly useful, and nice to work with visually.

the ‘granular’ function is unusual and primitive. the sounds that come from ‘granular’ can also sound primitive ( though they aren’t limited to one sound ). i love this function. it reminds me of some of the early reaktor and msp granular examples. i have, and like, a few of the ios granular apps. Takete’s granular is fast and sometimes with results that i don’t foresee. i enjoy that.

‘file touch player’ with unprepared loops becomes very interesting, providing you are willing to let go.

i find Takete and JammPro a little different. they are both useful. i will use both for different approaches and get very different results. it’s not bug free, and it’s still worth more than the sale price imo.

edit - i’ve yet to try Takete’s other audio engines.

«1

Comments

  • Might be a good idea to change the thread name from a "sale topic" as it's similar to the other one :)

    I agree...But perhaps this could be a thread with discussion on knowledge for the whole app? As the video is interlinked with the audio and it helps keep the knowledge together. It's not easy finding answers for this app as a whole.

    I bought it this morning after being a bit initially frustrated (there's a video bug on the 12.9 version) but now I've got used to some of the quirky ui workflow I'm glad I bought it as there's very few genuinely useful ipad audiovisual apps.

  • @frond said:
    starting this thread in the hope that Takete users will share their thoughts regarding the audio component of the app.

    @Jmousseau72 said:
    Just curious, how does Takete compare to JammPro? Seem like some similar concepts here.

    i’ve only used Takete for a few hours. i haven’t used JammPro extensively, but i enjoy it, especially the time stretching algo’s.

    in order to understand Takete i’ve needed to use prepared loops ( bpm ). i’ve loaded unprepared loops in as well.

    using the ‘file player touch’ has some similarities to JammPro, but it feels very different.

    it is reminiscent of parts of older versions of ableton live.

    a user in the other thread mentioned that Takete wasn’t worth it for the audio component. i disagree. i’ve found that Takete brings unexpected and fantastic results.

    the ‘file touch player’ is highly useful, and nice to work with visually.

    the ‘granular’ function is unusual and primitive. the sounds that come from ‘granular’ can also sound primitive ( though they aren’t limited to one sound ). i love this function. it reminds me of some of the early reaktor and msp granular examples. i have, and like, a few of the ios granular apps. Takete’s granular is fast and sometimes with results that i don’t foresee. i enjoy that.

    ‘file touch player’ with unprepared loops becomes very interesting, providing you are willing to let go.

    i find Takete and JammPro a little different. they are both useful. i will use both for different approaches and get very different results. it’s not bug free, and it’s still worth more than the sale price imo.

    edit - i’ve yet to try Takete’s other audio engines.

    You made some interesting points, I’m going to try it out and if i can wrap my head around it this weekend I’ll post some thoughts. I’m actually interested the the video component as well, be kinda cool to if you could make some music videos with this (though I’m not sure that’s the intended use?)

    Thanks!

  • Looks like I may having some issues... keeps crashing.

  • Has anyone posted video clips that they made with Takete. I have found lots of demos of the app but few vids created with it. I’d love to see some.

  • @espiegel123 said:
    Has anyone posted video clips that they made with Takete. I have found lots of demos of the app but few vids created with it. I’d love to see some.

    +1. I'm more interested in the video capabilities than the audio.

  • @espiegel123 @MonzoPro

    This was made fully in Takete which I did by performing

    And this was made with a combination of Takete and LumaFusion but not made live

  • @Fingolfinzzz said:
    @espiegel123 @MonzoPro

    This was made fully in Takete which I did by performing

    And this was made with a combination of Takete and LumaFusion but not made live

    Thanks, I’ll take a look :)

  • Here a video just did with a loop of some chords I sampled from imachine, and 4 single shot drum hits ,two video I used last time I used the app. It a fun app quirky but fun .

  • @Carnbot said:
    Might be a good idea to change the thread name

    changed 🙂

    added the may 2020 sale price into the first post.

    It's not easy finding answers for this app as a whole.

    true. the youtube vids don’t fully demonstrate it’s audio capabilities.

    I bought it this morning after being a bit initially frustrated (there's a video bug on the 12.9 version)

    there also seems to be a few bugs on the audio side.

    how are you finding the cpu % when using audio and video together? i’ve noticed high cpu numbers with as little as two .wav files ( no video - still haven’t tried it ).

    are you using compressed audio files?

    which video codecs are the best compromise for Takete on your ipad? which aspect ratio?

    i’ve had issues with video controlled by audio on laptop ( msp/jitter ), which is why i’m hesitant to explore on an ipad.

  • @Jmousseau72 said:
    Looks like I may having some issues... keeps crashing.

    did you try deleting app, download again, and clear RAM?

    i’ve had Takete freeze, but only when i’ve had it connected to AUM. i don’t think i’ve had it freeze when used stand alone. i have noticed some buggy/glitchy behaviour.

    ipad mini 5 ios 12.4

  • I've figured out some stuff... but I'm stuck on how to get video to react to the audio. Can anyone drop me hint or two? :)

    I can set up audio. I can set up audio fx. I can add my motion graphics, and add fx to those graphics... but making them react to the audio I'm generating has me a bit baffled.

  • @frond said:

    how are you finding the cpu % when using audio and video together? i’ve noticed high cpu numbers with as little as two .wav files ( no video - still haven’t tried it ).

    are you using compressed audio files?

    which video codecs are the best compromise for Takete on your ipad? which aspect ratio?

    i’ve had issues with video controlled by audio on laptop ( msp/jitter ), which is why i’m hesitant to explore on an ipad.

    Cpu not too many issues here on ipad pro so far, it does spike a bit and seen it go into the 30s, I use a high buffer though.

    h264 mp4 files have been fine so far although I've not tried a lot of different videos yet. It does it's own compression on import. It should accept anything that is in your camera roll. I have had some issues with recordings audio and video together, but I need to test it more.

    Have tried the granular synth this evening and yeah I really like the sounds you can get out of this, it does remind me of a max for live device. There's a lot of restrictions and things I'd like to see added but when you see it like a lofi hardware groovebox it has a lot of charm. :)

    The workflow can be infuriating at first though, especially selecting which part to edit..the pencil isn't that intuitive..this bit reminds me of Modstep... but it does eventually make sense.

  • @skiphunt said:
    I've figured out some stuff... but I'm stuck on how to get video to react to the audio. Can anyone drop me hint or two? :)

    I can set up audio. I can set up audio fx. I can add my motion graphics, and add fx to those graphics... but making them react to the audio I'm generating has me a bit baffled.

    When you tap on a cell to edit the video change the video setting Semiquaver or bar to "Beat".

  • @skiphunt said:
    I've figured out some stuff... but I'm stuck on how to get video to react to the audio. Can anyone drop me hint or two? :)

    I can set up audio. I can set up audio fx. I can add my motion graphics, and add fx to those graphics... but making them react to the audio I'm generating has me a bit baffled.

    I think the audio and the video fx have to be on the same channel. Then you can adjust the video fx on the knob in the mixer

  • Experiment with Takete lite. As mentioned simular to Jammpro. Can the lite version load my own samples?

  • @skiphunt said:
    I've figured out some stuff... but I'm stuck on how to get video to react to the audio. Can anyone drop me hint or two? :)

    I can set up audio. I can set up audio fx. I can add my motion graphics, and add fx to those graphics... but making them react to the audio I'm generating has me a bit baffled.

    Go to the video mixer and adjust the knob that is labelled with the name of the playing video clip. That controls the amount of audio modulating the video clip.

  • edited May 24

    @BiancaNeve said:

    @skiphunt said:
    I've figured out some stuff... but I'm stuck on how to get video to react to the audio. Can anyone drop me hint or two? :)

    I can set up audio. I can set up audio fx. I can add my motion graphics, and add fx to those graphics... but making them react to the audio I'm generating has me a bit baffled.

    Go to the video mixer and adjust the knob that is labelled with the name of the playing video clip. That controls the amount of audio modulating the video clip.

    Yeah you can do this for each video effect added to each channel. As far as I can see though audio only modulates the opacity of the layers (which is nice) but I can't see any way of it modulating other parameters. Unless I've missed this possibility so far.

  • edited May 24

    @Toastedghost said:
    Experiment with Takete lite. As mentioned simular to Jammpro. Can the lite version load my own samples?

    Yes you can i think.... but you can get a free month trial of the whole app, you can cancel it straight away but the month remains. This is a good way to get to see if you'll like it.

  • Thanks for the hints!

    But, like @Carnbot said, I’m only getting the opacity modulated.

    It seems like I’ve seen videos showing other parameters of effects modulated though.

    Maybe you have to use trigger macros?

  • If someone figures out a way to influence any video parameter from the audio other than opacity, please post.

  • @espiegel123 said:
    If someone figures out a way to influence any video parameter from the audio other than opacity, please post.

    Am I wrong that the only aspect of the video effects that is modulatable is the layer’s level even by MIDI?

    Is there no way to set a video effect parameter to be influenced by MIDI or audio or even the built in sequencer?

  • Not sure about that yet....

    When a sample is set to retrigger, how do you get back to it's editing screen? You can't deselect it then, it seems for me you can only edit a sample when deselected. Also how do you stop a retrigger sample from playing? :)

  • @Carnbot said:
    Not sure about that yet....

    When a sample is set to retrigger, how do you get back to it's editing screen? You can't deselect it then, it seems for me you can only edit a sample when deselected. Also how do you stop a retrigger sample from playing? :)

    I already wrote the dev about that. I‘ll let you know as soon as he answers

  • edited May 24

    @Thacapos said:

    @Carnbot said:
    Not sure about that yet....

    When a sample is set to retrigger, how do you get back to it's editing screen? You can't deselect it then, it seems for me you can only edit a sample when deselected. Also how do you stop a retrigger sample from playing? :)

    I already wrote the dev about that. I‘ll let you know as soon as he answers

    thx! :)

  • @espiegel123 said:

    @espiegel123 said:
    If someone figures out a way to influence any video parameter from the audio other than opacity, please post.

    Am I wrong that the only aspect of the video effects that is modulatable is the layer’s level even by MIDI?

    Is there no way to set a video effect parameter to be influenced by MIDI or audio or even the built in sequencer?

    There is a thread about this on the Takete forum: https://www.refinedstochastic.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12

  • @espiegel123 said:

    @espiegel123 said:
    If someone figures out a way to influence any video parameter from the audio other than opacity, please post.

    Am I wrong that the only aspect of the video effects that is modulatable is the layer’s level even by MIDI?

    Is there no way to set a video effect parameter to be influenced by MIDI or audio or even the built in sequencer?

    There is a thread about this on the Takete forum: https://www.refinedstochastic.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12

    Short version: audio can modulate the level for a video channel's fader. To modulate a particular parameter, you can use the step sequencer (Touch) but not the audio itself.

  • @Carnbot said:
    Not sure about that yet....

    When a sample is set to retrigger, how do you get back to it's editing screen? You can't deselect it then, it seems for me you can only edit a sample when deselected. Also how do you stop a retrigger sample from playing? :)

    „you will need either another clip (and a non-polyphonic channel or clip) to play - which will stop it.“

  • @Thacapos said:

    @Carnbot said:
    Not sure about that yet....

    When a sample is set to retrigger, how do you get back to it's editing screen? You can't deselect it then, it seems for me you can only edit a sample when deselected. Also how do you stop a retrigger sample from playing? :)

    „you will need either another clip (and a non-polyphonic channel or clip) to play - which will stop it.“

    Sounds like a bit of a workaround so I hope this gets improved, eg a channel stop button

  • I love this app... but it crashes randomly (and consistently) and it doesn't scale properly in some idevices (iPad pro 2gen and iPad air 3gen). Many times I tried to motivate the developer to solve these issues... but Takete 2 just looks the same and has same issues... not a reliable tool for stage I'm afraid.

    I hope this changes someday,.. I can imagine how annoying for a developer must be to test an app in all types of devices and iOS systems and keep it updated.

  • @eccecelllo said:
    I love this app... but it crashes randomly (and consistently) and it doesn't scale properly in some idevices (iPad pro 2gen and iPad air 3gen). Many times I tried to motivate the developer to solve these issues... but Takete 2 just looks the same and has same issues... not a reliable tool for stage I'm afraid.

    I hope this changes someday,.. I can imagine how annoying for a developer must be to test an app in all types of devices and iOS systems and keep it updated.

    Have you tried using Takete since they updated it to fix the display issues for iPad Pros?

Sign In or Register to comment.