Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Dragonfly Cobalt

New Dragonfly Cobalt has arrived. It's so...blue. And small, even smaller than the Red was. Nice. Full thoughts once I've had a few days to give it a proper listen.

Comments

• For iOS? I thought the iPhone/iPad DACs were pretty decent.

• edited May 2020

For iOS and when I need to do studio work while traveling. I won't always use this with my iPhone, I'm fine with the apple adaptor most times. But for detailed listening sessions I do enjoy it.

• Cool. I know you have some tasty high end IEMs and a pair of mastering ears so you probably hear more of a difference in DAC upgrades. 🙂

• @gusgranite said:
    For iOS? I thought the iPhone/iPad DACs were pretty decent.

Well the advantage of using a Dragonfly with any of the newer devices is that it lets you control the sample rate. That was what got me to buy them for my iPhone - the Apple lightning to headphone adapter locks the sample rate to 48khz.

I have both the Dragonfly Black and the Red (but not the Cobalt) - I can't really tell any difference between them, however they both drive my Senn HD650s comfortably and I really like them: these DACs are really small and portable and can drive any headphone you plug into them.

• Just grabbed the Black for my mini 5, strictly to get my IceGear synths back.

• @Tarekith , @gusgranite , can you tell me the difference between an AI and a DAC other than connectivity. It seems both replace the onboard preamps of the device?

I am looking to connect a PC to an external sound system. It seems both could do that.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @Tarekith , @gusgranite , can you tell me the difference between an AI and a DAC other than connectivity. It seems both replace the onboard preamps of the device?

I am looking to connect a PC to an external sound system. It seems both could do that.

A DAC is just the name for the components that converts from digital to analog - it is essentially an output-only interface. A typical audio interface as input (ADC which is analog-to-digital converter) to converter incoming analog audio to digital and DAC (digital-to-analog converter) which takes the digital audio from the computer and puts it out as analog.

• As I suspected. Thanks @espiegel123.

• This is what I use with my DT770. It’s in “mint” condition.

http://www.lucidlaboratories.com/shop-1/cmoy-headphone-amplifier

Yes, this isn’t really a DAC. And yes, it’s dad joke Friday.

• @mjcouche said:
    This is what I use with my DT770. It’s in “mint” condition.

http://www.lucidlaboratories.com/shop-1/cmoy-headphone-amplifier

Yes, this isn’t really a DAC. And yes, it’s dad joke Friday.

Hey, I have the JDS Labs version. Forgot all about that.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @Tarekith , @gusgranite , can you tell me the difference between an AI and a DAC other than connectivity. It seems both replace the onboard preamps of the device?

As mentioned, same thing really. DACs generally tend to have less IO like you said, but for all practical purposes it's the same.