Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

"Reason Compact" with all the trimmings in AUM

There's a lot to like in the complete Reason Compact package:

«1

Comments

  • Very mellow.

    Soothing.

    Thanks for the share.

  • hey sounds good man! i can’t get the differnt instruments to load in aum like you did with ab but that’s def seeming like the way to use this one

  • They don't load individually in AUM but they do in the MIDI screen of AudioBus 3 and you can then send a unified Reason Compact output into AUM for audio uses.

    This was generated in AB3 using the 3 Reason Synths (Drums, Bass, Chord/Arp) and then piped into AUM to record. All MIDI notes were generated by 3 Rozeta Suite Apps (XOX, Bassline, Cells).

    It's powerful and helps me to integrate AB3 into my workflow which I need to do to use Xequence 2 more effectively and stop just generating my patterns and start composing in the old school style of the german masters.

  • Wasn’t certain about Europa, but this Jakob video helped:

  • edited May 22

    I'm hoping more people get this app, even if it's for Europa. If Reason for iOS shows a decent return margin, it'll allow a stronger case for more modules to come to iOS. Granted we also have Viking Synth on iOS.

    You also get a Reason Lite license with this app.

  • Don't like the in, don't like the out, but I like a lot of the noises, and as a home made melody loop machine it can provide quick and nourishing stuff.

  • in aum i see multi ports but it won’t load, in audiobus i can’t find the multi port...


  • edited May 22

    @reasOne

    Patch for Audiobus 3 ONLY. See below for AUM users. You will need

    1. Audiobus 3
    2. Reason Compact

    3. Reason Compact

    Download this preset and open it. I’ve already routed it to Audiobus virtual MIDI channel.

    http://preset.audiob.us/50asgXrTiaLpBTC

    Replace VIR MID with your MIDI controller (or you can send to Audiobus MIDI 1, 2, or 3) from a DAW.

    Channel 1- Europa
    Channel 2 -Monotone
    Channel 3- Rythmik (drum - only EIGHT keys from C2 to G2 works because it is a drum kit).

  • Sam, You seem very passionate about this app. As I’ve said before, I would like the try it, but you seem to be the only one saying it will work in AUM.

    Could you make a quick screen recording showing how to utilize it?

  • edited May 22

    @SNystrom said:
    Sam, You seem very passionate about this app. As I’ve said before, I would like the try it, but you seem to be the only one saying it will work in AUM.

    Could you make a quick screen recording showing how to utilize it?

    I don't believe this connection works in AUM alone unless you connect the output of Audiobus 3 into AUM. As great as AUM is, there are some apps that just won't work with it.

    So, to make things simple, I made a new patch with AUM and Audiobus 3 already connected. You will need these apps:

    1. Audiobus 3
    2. AUM
    3. Reason Compact

    Download this preset and open it. I’ve already routed it to AUM‘s internal keyboard.
    http://preset.audiob.us/P5H8N6NeT9qZTzo
    AUM Project File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vc8sfegblirrwd7/Reason AUM.zip?dl=0

    Channel 1- Europa
    Channel 2 -Monotone
    Channel 3- Rythmik (drum - only EIGHT keys from C2 to G2 works because it is a drum kit).

    How it should look like (ignore the blue keyboard icon. That’s for MF Keyboard)

    Thanks to @McD for the recommendation to add an AUM project. @wim

  • thank you @Samflash3 !
    using that first project you shared i get it now.
    the second one won’t open but no biggie, with the first i’m good to route to aum from there.
    preciate it man!

  • Nice work @Samflash3. I expect them to start t to view IOS as an opportunity. I’m enjoying the quick access to useful sounds. It’s good on the phone too. I wish I could see 3 devices in AUM but the AB3 solution will work too to accept Yirtual MIDI port routing from AUM too. An AUM project file with an AB3 setup file would help many get the details right. I think MIDI channels 1,2 and 10 from the drums.

  • @McD said:
    Nice work @Samflash3. I expect them to start t to view IOS as an opportunity. I’m enjoying the quick access to useful sounds. It’s good on the phone too. I wish I could see 3 devices in AUM but the AB3 solution will work too to accept Yirtual MIDI port routing from AUM too. An AUM project file with an AB3 setup file would help many get the details right. I think MIDI channels 1,2 and 10 from the drums.

    Updated post with a Dropbox link to the AUM project I used.
    Any reason why you would map drums to channel 10? I was actually thinking of mapping it into Channel 2 but I left the drums as last. Just wondering if it’s for aesthetic or there’s a reason behind it,

  • Nice tune. @McD

  • @Samflash3 said:
    Any reason why you would map drums to channel 10? I was actually thinking of mapping it into Channel 2 but I left the drums as last. Just wondering if it’s for aesthetic or there’s a reason behind it,

    In the General MIDI world the drums were always on Channel 10. Some of the IOS Drum Pattern generators default to sending there patterns out on MIDI channel 10. Using the AB3 virtual channels
    it doesn't matter as much since MIDI source and destination combinations are typically 1-to-1 so my channel 1 might be coming from AUM where there are several routings using MIDI channel 1.

    I was able to build a project last night with Xequence using AUM as a target and AUM routing the Xequence
    Channels 1,2,3 over to AB3 Virtual Channels for Europa, Monotone (Bass), Rytmik (Drums). For me I think Europa and Rytmik are worth the effort. Monotone doesn't seem to have bass presets that work well for cheap headphones.

    The weird workflow issue in this approach is the fact that you need to use the AudioBus Mixer for the Reason 3-headed hydra. I expect "Reason Studios" will start to do more work on their IOS offerings but we'll shall see.

    I also did a little tune building on my iPhone and I think they have a really useful "walled garden" for that type of groove crafting. I could learn to get the thumb interface down. I like the variety of the drum sets and patterns to find something to build on.

    Hopefully updates will expose the 3 engines to AUM directly and ideally we'll either get more synths or an AUv3 Europa.

    I haven't even started to investigate the Arpeggiator functionality in Europa. I'd advise anyone to play for the complete Europa experience since it loads into AUM. I'm not sure if the 3 head hydra has default MIDI
    channels... does it? I think anything you throw at Reason Compact in AUM defaults to Europa and the other 2 are hidden to you as targets.

    If anyone else is doing these experiments I'd love and clues to how your using this amazing synth and it's so-so buddies.

  • If running "loop-based" is OK then you can manage all three engines in AUM with this workflow:

    1. hand edit the Rytmik drum part it will respond to AUM start/stop
    2. what ever engine is "front facing" (selected in the Reason Compact GUI) will accept MIDI in
    3. record the loop for that engine using the Reason Compact Record function.
    4. switch from the "front facing" engine to the other (Europa <-> Monotone) and send the new engine a new midi stream.

    All three engines will be audible without needing the extra route out to and from AudioBus3.
    State saving seems to save everything except the 1st internally recorded loop in Reason Compact.
    Maybe I'm missing something and the recording can be saved... please advise if you find a way to record and save. I'll keep trying.

  • @McD said:
    If running "loop-based" is OK then you can manage all three engines in AUM with this workflow:

    1. hand edit the Rytmik drum part it will respond to AUM start/stop
    2. what ever engine is "front facing" (selected in the Reason Compact GUI) will accept MIDI in
    3. record the loop for that engine using the Reason Compact Record function.
    4. switch from the "front facing" engine to the other (Europa <-> Monotone) and send the new engine a new midi stream.

    All three engines will be audible without needing the extra route out to and from AudioBus3.
    State saving seems to save everything except the 1st internally recorded loop in Reason Compact.
    Maybe I'm missing something and the recording can be saved... please advise if you find a way to record and save. I'll keep trying.

    Sorry McD,

    You're reached the point of tech where I don't understand what we're trying to do. Are you trying to figure out a way to use Reason Compact strictly via AUM?

  • @Samflash3 said:

    @McD said:
    If running "loop-based" is OK then you can manage all three engines in AUM with this workflow:

    1. hand edit the Rytmik drum part it will respond to AUM start/stop
    2. what ever engine is "front facing" (selected in the Reason Compact GUI) will accept MIDI in
    3. record the loop for that engine using the Reason Compact Record function.
    4. switch from the "front facing" engine to the other (Europa <-> Monotone) and send the new engine a new midi stream.

    All three engines will be audible without needing the extra route out to and from AudioBus3.
    State saving seems to save everything except the 1st internally recorded loop in Reason Compact.
    Maybe I'm missing something and the recording can be saved... please advise if you find a way to record and save. I'll keep trying.

    Sorry McD,

    You're reached the point of tech where I don't understand what we're trying to do. Are you trying to figure out a way to use Reason Compact strictly via AUM?

    Yes, as much as possible to avoid screen swapping and complex set ups. I think using the internal recorder and then shifting focus to the other synth works well for me. I also exported the audio to AudioShare and NS2 and that means I can generate some (up to 8 bar) loops and use several to make something closer to a song form triggering loops in AUM or using NS2 projects.

  • @McD said:

    @Samflash3 said:

    @McD said:
    If running "loop-based" is OK then you can manage all three engines in AUM with this workflow:

    1. hand edit the Rytmik drum part it will respond to AUM start/stop
    2. what ever engine is "front facing" (selected in the Reason Compact GUI) will accept MIDI in
    3. record the loop for that engine using the Reason Compact Record function.
    4. switch from the "front facing" engine to the other (Europa <-> Monotone) and send the new engine a new midi stream.

    All three engines will be audible without needing the extra route out to and from AudioBus3.
    State saving seems to save everything except the 1st internally recorded loop in Reason Compact.
    Maybe I'm missing something and the recording can be saved... please advise if you find a way to record and save. I'll keep trying.

    Sorry McD,

    You're reached the point of tech where I don't understand what we're trying to do. Are you trying to figure out a way to use Reason Compact strictly via AUM?

    Yes, as much as possible to avoid screen swapping and complex set ups. I think using the internal recorder and then shifting focus to the other synth works well for me. I also exported the audio to AudioShare and NS2 and that means I can generate some (up to 8 bar) loops and use several to make something closer to a song form triggering loops in AUM or using NS2 projects.

    True. Although that locks it to loop based workflow. I have a better idea for a loop based workflow (still requires AUM and Audiobus 3) but I need to do some tests before I can give the go-ahead.

    To be honest, I mainly use Audiobus 3. AUM is a lot more gorgeous but I love Audiobus 3’s implementation with apps like MF Keyboard.

  • It would be great if you could possibly make it work without Audiobus, Sam.

    I have more apps that I can count, but Audiobus sadly isn't one of them — probably because it rarely if ever goes on sale..

  • @SNystrom said:
    It would be great if you could possibly make it work without Audiobus, Sam.

    I have more apps that I can count, but Audiobus sadly isn't one of them — probably because it rarely if ever goes on sale..

    True. But it's the only app that seems to support IAA well (out of all I've tested). Else, you'd have to open the app in standalone and make the loop. AUM seems to have removed all traces of MIDI IAA, unless @j_liljedahl might have a recommendation.

  • ApeFilter shows the 3 "personalities" of Reason Compact (Europa, Monotone, Rytmik) but none of them load successfully.

    This was made inside AUM with some extra FX loaded but no other sound sources than a single Reason Compact.

  • Thank you @Samflash3. Payday is approaching, so perhaps I'll finally get on the 'bus!

  • I was curious to see if turning off Ableton Link would disconnect that Start/Stop functions in Reason Compact from the Start/Stop in the AUM session. It allowed me to start recording in AUM and then open Reason Compact and Start/Stop independent of the recording in AUM which was useful since the AUM FX slot had the Nembrini Delay 3000 for rhythmic echoes. Works pretty well and never had to leave AUM... just use the home button to get back since Reason Compact is an IAA App.

  • @Samflash3 said:

    @SNystrom said:
    It would be great if you could possibly make it work without Audiobus, Sam.

    I have more apps that I can count, but Audiobus sadly isn't one of them — probably because it rarely if ever goes on sale..

    True. But it's the only app that seems to support IAA well (out of all I've tested). Else, you'd have to open the app in standalone and make the loop. AUM seems to have removed all traces of MIDI IAA, unless @j_liljedahl might have a recommendation.

    How do you mean AUM removed all traces of MIDI IAA?

  • @j_liljedahl said:
    How do you mean AUM removed all traces of MIDI IAA?

    This Reason Compact app might be using AudioBus3 features maybe. In AB3 it shows the 3 internal synths
    and lets you load each as a MIDI target (Europa = Chord Synth, Monotone = Bass Synth, Rytmik = Drum Synth).

    AUM let's to load the Reason Compact IAA App and open the GUI allows you to make one of the 3 personalities have the focus). With one in focus you make direct MIDI Channel 1 at it and record those events inside the app, Then you can make the 2nd synth the focus and record (or play live) with MIDI input.
    Programming the Drum personality seems wise but it would be nice to throw LumBeats MIDI streams at it... I should try that.

    Anyway being able to load each personality since the app must expose something to the developer to
    manage using one of the underlying API's. It's a one off type of app and Reason Studios has been slimed with a lot of "feedback" on their decisions to make a walled garden and sell it as a gateway drug to their Desktop Cash Cow.

    If you you expose and allow the 3 personalities to load at the same time that would be nice for about 5 people. Not your problem really but more of a window into the world of how developers abuse the intention of Interoperability for their own purposes. (Hello Korg...).

  • @McD said:

    @j_liljedahl said:
    How do you mean AUM removed all traces of MIDI IAA?

    This Reason Compact app might be using AudioBus3 features maybe. In AB3 it shows the 3 internal synths
    and lets you load each as a MIDI target (Europa = Chord Synth, Monotone = Bass Synth, Rytmik = Drum Synth).

    AUM let's to load the Reason Compact IAA App and open the GUI allows you to make one of the 3 personalities have the focus). With one in focus you make direct MIDI Channel 1 at it and record those events inside the app, Then you can make the 2nd synth the focus and record (or play live) with MIDI input.
    Programming the Drum personality seems wise but it would be nice to throw LumBeats MIDI streams at it... I should try that.

    Anyway being able to load each personality since the app must expose something to the developer to
    manage using one of the underlying API's. It's a one off type of app and Reason Studios has been slimed with a lot of "feedback" on their decisions to make a walled garden and sell it as a gateway drug to their Desktop Cash Cow.

    If you you expose and allow the 3 personalities to load at the same time that would be nice for about 5 people. Not your problem really but more of a window into the world of how developers abuse the intention of Interoperability for their own purposes. (Hello Korg...).

    Hmm, well I don't see what this has to do with AUM, which does support IAA MIDI in all ways possible. Probably Reason Compact does not allow MIDI control of all three at the same time, at least not through standard IAA MIDI?

  • edited May 23

    @McD AUM shows it as well
    @j_liljedahl said:

    @Samflash3 said:

    @SNystrom said:
    It would be great if you could possibly make it work without Audiobus, Sam.

    I have more apps that I can count, but Audiobus sadly isn't one of them — probably because it rarely if ever goes on sale..

    True. But it's the only app that seems to support IAA well (out of all I've tested). Else, you'd have to open the app in standalone and make the loop. AUM seems to have removed all traces of MIDI IAA, unless @j_liljedahl might have a recommendation.

    How do you mean AUM removed all traces of MIDI IAA?

    I apologize, I spoke too soon. Still deep diving into AUM (recently got it last month, but only opened it a few times). When I open AUM, the only MIDI options I initially saw was Audio Unit MIDI Processor, and Audio Unit Extension. I did see the AUM MIDI routing (and it is absolutely gorgeous by the way) , and I now get how it works.

    I believe what's going on with Reason Compact and AUM is that there are 4 IAAs. "Reason Compact" is the Audio IAA, but “Europa”, “Rhythmik”, and “Monotone“ are MIDI IAA. Currently, they are all classified as Audio IAAs in AUM. That's why when you try and route them, it seems to crash. Would it be possible to move those components as MIDI IAA in AUM?



  • @Samflash3 said:

    @McD AUM shows it as well
    @j_liljedahl said:

    @Samflash3 said:

    @SNystrom said:
    It would be great if you could possibly make it work without Audiobus, Sam.

    I have more apps that I can count, but Audiobus sadly isn't one of them — probably because it rarely if ever goes on sale..

    True. But it's the only app that seems to support IAA well (out of all I've tested). Else, you'd have to open the app in standalone and make the loop. AUM seems to have removed all traces of MIDI IAA, unless @j_liljedahl might have a recommendation.

    How do you mean AUM removed all traces of MIDI IAA?

    I apologize, I spoke too soon. Still deep diving into AUM (recently got it last month, but only opened it a few times). When I open AUM, the only MIDI options I initially saw was Audio Unit MIDI Processor, and Audio Unit Extension. I did see the AUM MIDI routing (and it is absolutely gorgeous by the way) , and I now get how it works.

    I believe what's going on with Reason Compact and AUM is that there are 4 IAAs. "Reason Compact" is the Audio IAA, but “Europa”, “Rhythmik”, and “Monotone“ are MIDI IAA. Currently, they are all classified as Audio IAAs in AUM. That's why when you try and route them, it seems to crash. Would it be possible to move those components as MIDI IAA in AUM?



    aum shows you the multi ports but i don’t think it will actually load each one to control individually , like it ab3 , i’m not sure why or if i’m just doing it wrong

  • Synthmaster One is AUv3, Sugarbytes Factory is AUv3, Electribe Wave is AUv3.
    With IAA, the choice is even much greater.
    Is there any Europa sound I couldn't do with the above?

Sign In or Register to comment.