Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groovebox updated- new synth “Horizon”

Comments

• I'm really liking the new synth, it adds a nice contrast to the other synths in Groovebox. As we get more instruments though, I do wish we could reorder tracks to make things like grouping all the drums next to each easier. My iPad and phone can handle a lot of tracks in groovebox, they're just all in a random order now that irks me some.

• @Tarekith said:
    I'm really liking the new synth, it adds a nice contrast to the other synths in Groovebox. As we get more instruments though, I do wish we could reorder tracks to make things like grouping all the drums next to each easier. My iPad and phone can handle a lot of tracks in groovebox, they're just all in a random order now that irks me some.

Add me on.

• @db909 said:
    @dakti no you can’t change the section change quantization. You’ve got to embrace the fact it’s 1/16th or virtually instant and treat it like a performance. It’s a blessing in disguise though because the loops will always be in sync and pick up where the last one left off. This means you don’t even have to put your sections in any particular order as long as you know where they are. It’s a fairly improvisational process, yet one that leads to maximum flexibility and efficiency (and quick generation of multiple takes of an arrangement if you like more choices). Or you can try to export to ableton like other have said and then go through multiple additional processes, doubling loops, cutting loops, rearranging in another program and so on. But keep in mind that in the time it will take to do all that, you could’ve probably performed 2, 3, or even more versions of your track and be moving on to choosing which one to master. I’ll admit it’s probably not a workflow that will appeal to all mindsets but I like it and I hope I illustrated it clearly enough here.

Disagree. While it's always good to look on the bright side of life/make the best of things (and in this case what choice do we have?), but the truth is it's a pain in the arse that if you don't hit it right then it's wrong...we'd like the option :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@db909 said:
    @dakti no you can’t change the section change quantization. You’ve got to embrace the fact it’s 1/16th or virtually instant and treat it like a performance. It’s a blessing in disguise though because the loops will always be in sync and pick up where the last one left off. This means you don’t even have to put your sections in any particular order as long as you know where they are. It’s a fairly improvisational process, yet one that leads to maximum flexibility and efficiency (and quick generation of multiple takes of an arrangement if you like more choices). Or you can try to export to ableton like other have said and then go through multiple additional processes, doubling loops, cutting loops, rearranging in another program and so on. But keep in mind that in the time it will take to do all that, you could’ve probably performed 2, 3, or even more versions of your track and be moving on to choosing which one to master. I’ll admit it’s probably not a workflow that will appeal to all mindsets but I like it and I hope I illustrated it clearly enough here.

Disagree. While it's always good to look on the bright side of life/make the best of things (and in this case what choice do we have?), but the truth is it's a pain in the arse that if you don't hit it right then it's wrong...we'd like the option :)

Ah, but so would violinists, guitarists, pianists, recording engineers, trumpeters and whatever people who play the tuba are called (tubbies?). I’m actually not a great fan of using Groovebox, which I see as taking a paddle in a swimming pool of reverb, but maybe the paradigm is to treat it as an instrument rather than a DAW, with all that implies in terms of timing.
    Disclaimer: I can’t ever get it to switch scenes at the right moment, either ;)

• @purpan2 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@db909 said:

Ah, but so would violinists, guitarists, pianists, recording engineers, trumpeters and whatever people who play the tuba are called (tubbies?). I’m actually not a great fan of using Groovebox, which I see as taking a paddle in a swimming pool of reverb, but maybe the paradigm is to treat it as an instrument rather than a DAW, with all that implies in terms of timing.
    Disclaimer: I can’t ever get it to switch scenes at the right moment, either ;)

I hear you, but this approach/attitude smells of purism (I whiff I catch reagrding my own self far too often)...I understand (now) that things like the limitations of the OP-1 (for example) are part of its ineffable charm, but in this case, and in my opinion, I would like the software to aid my efforts if possible. That's all :)

• I hear you, but this approach/attitude smells of purism (I whiff I catch reagrding my own self far too often)...I understand (now) that things like the limitations of the OP-1 (for example) are part of its ineffable charm, but in this case, and in my opinion, I would like the software to aid my efforts if possible. That's all :)

to be honest, I can’t even embrace the restrictive purism of my Novation Circuit. Just one more track and it would be perfect. (Apart from the sound ;))

• Hey @db909 , thanks for the reminder of this free flow approach .. i used to do that and then got into fiddling with the clips in Ableton .. which has its place ..but sure can get sticky .. the on the fly capture is a joy and as you say is full of happy accidents.

• @klownshed said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@dendy said:

@dakti said:

@dendy said: but you can export whole song [...]
    @jolico said: Remember to double the bars of each loop before export. [...]

Thanks for the advice. I will try and let you know, but first I need to clean up the computer because I have no space at all on HDD to install Ableton and so on :smiley: Anyway, it would be nice to have possibility to do the full song export directly on the tablet, so that you don't have to do additional steps on another machine (including additional bars manipulation), or if someone, e.g. doesn't use a computer at all.

You didn't get me :) You don't need Ableton. Just use "export as ableton project" and save it anywhere on your iPad. Then go to that dir in Apple Files app, and tap this exported (zip) file. It unzips it - now go inside that folder and there is subfolder with all wav files.

If you export ‘project files instead of using Ableton export you get just the stems in your zip file and not all the other stuff for ableton (the als file and the Ableton folders), which is a bit cleaner if your not using Ableton.

But then you just get the first section of the song. The Ableton project includes all the sections.

Just go into the samples folder. You can ignore and delete the rest.

You also have the benefit of getting the midi files as well with The Ableton live export if you want them.

You get all stems when using project files, not just the first section !

• edited May 2020

@AndyPlankton said:

@klownshed said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@dendy said:

@dakti said:

@dendy said: but you can export whole song [...]
    @jolico said: Remember to double the bars of each loop before export. [...]

Thanks for the advice. I will try and let you know, but first I need to clean up the computer because I have no space at all on HDD to install Ableton and so on :smiley: Anyway, it would be nice to have possibility to do the full song export directly on the tablet, so that you don't have to do additional steps on another machine (including additional bars manipulation), or if someone, e.g. doesn't use a computer at all.

You didn't get me :) You don't need Ableton. Just use "export as ableton project" and save it anywhere on your iPad. Then go to that dir in Apple Files app, and tap this exported (zip) file. It unzips it - now go inside that folder and there is subfolder with all wav files.

If you export ‘project files instead of using Ableton export you get just the stems in your zip file and not all the other stuff for ableton (the als file and the Ableton folders), which is a bit cleaner if your not using Ableton.

But then you just get the first section of the song. The Ableton project includes all the sections.

Just go into the samples folder. You can ignore and delete the rest.

You also have the benefit of getting the midi files as well with The Ableton live export if you want them.

You get all stems when using project files, not just the first section !

Haha. Yes you’re right.

I thought this was the case originally but when I tested it only the first section was exported. I can only think I must have looked into the wrong unzipped folder which was exported before I added a second section to test.

I guess when Dendy said you need to use the Ableton export to get all sections I didn’t bother testing further.

it would seem that Dendy just can’t be trusted :lol:

• edited May 2020

Liking a lot of Groovebox with Launchkey mini Mk3. If only Ampify could include Blocks wave into it (with additional midi support), that would be perfect! And sure the panning which really should be obvious

• edited May 2020

@klownshed said:

I thought this was the case originally but when I tested it only the first section was exported. I can only think I must have looked into the wrong unzipped folder which was exported before I added a second section to test.

I guess when Dendy said you need to use the Ableton export to get all sections I didn’t bother testing further.

Wait .. I tested project with 3 sections and they all were included in export, not just first one ... they were nicely named with "Section 1", "Section 2", "Section 3" in file name ... Tested it again and definitely it works this way, ALL sections are included in Ableton Live export

• @dendy said:

@klownshed said:

Wait .. I tested project with 3 sections and they all were included in export, not just first one ... they were nicely named with "Section 1", "Section 2", "Section 3" in file name ... Tested it again and definitely it works this way, ALL sections are included in Ableton Live export

Yes, they are all included in the normal project export too. :-)

• edited May 2020

Aaah i'm dumb, i even didn't tried export option "project files", i assumed it's some internal Novation proprietary format for project backup :))))

Then, you said it right. Dendy can't be trusted !

• @dendy said:
    Aaah i'm dumb, i even didn't tried export option "project files", i assumed it's some internal Novation proprietary format for project backup :))))

Them, you said it right. Dendy can't be trusted !

:lol:

• honestly one of the best sounding synths ive heard in a while

• @reasOne said:
    honestly one of the best sounding synths ive heard in a while

Definitely... All synths in Groovebox are exceptional DSP coding job .. they are at least same level of quality like Ultranova/Circuit synth engine, if not better .. @AmpifyxNovation great job, i wish having them as AUv3 :-)

• @dendy said:
    @AmpifyxNovation great job, i wish having them as AUv3 :-)

Yeah, that would be nice.

Having the sounds available as individual Auv3 synths would be cool and a nice way for Ampify to open up without affecting their core apps.

I have no real wish for groovebox to be Auv3 as it kinds of defeats the purpose. There are only a few apps I use like that and most of them are Ampify apps!

But having ‘Horizon’ as an Auv3 would surely not hurt groovebox. Especially if the Auv3 was enabled as an IAP within groovebox. Although it would be easier as a stand alone Auv3.

Just a thought.

• ^ this, agree with all points.

• @klownshed said:

@dendy said:

Them, you said it right. Dendy can't be trusted !

:lol:

:lol: I even had to go back and check for myself before posting, even though I use project files all the time I was doubting myself :lol:

• @dendy said:

@reasOne said:

Definitely... All synths in Groovebox are exceptional DSP coding job .. they are at least same level of quality like Ultranova/Circuit synth engine, if not better .. @AmpifyxNovation great job, i wish having them as AUv3 :-)

All synths sound superb, as you’d expect from a company born out of Focusrite and Novation ;)

• @dendy said:

@reasOne said:

exceptional indeed!
    and let’s face it... we want everything to be an auv3 🤣 so yes definitely would love horizon in that list

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Tarekith said:
    I'm really liking the new synth, it adds a nice contrast to the other synths in Groovebox. As we get more instruments though, I do wish we could reorder tracks to make things like grouping all the drums next to each easier. My iPad and phone can handle a lot of tracks in groovebox, they're just all in a random order now that irks me some.

Add me on.

And me...you can do some re-ordering with duplicating instruments and copy pasting patterns....but dragging Tracks into a new order would really help though...same is true in blocs.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@dendy said:

@reasOne said:

All synths sound superb, as you’d expect from a company born out of Focusrite and Novation ;)

I have a very old Novation XioSynth.

I bought it for gigging as it was a midi keyboard, midi interface and audio interface with audio input in one device. I never used the synth.

I could play my Bass guitar through logic on my MacBook, play synth parts and output the lot along with backing tracks to the monitors in one box. I just had that and a white plastic macbook. It never let me down. Worked great.

I’ve recently rediscovered the synth side of it and it is a really good synth. I pretty much ignored that aspect of it before. I forgot it even had a synth in it. So I effectively now have a new Novation hardware synth to Play with :smiley:

(I wonder if I can find an editor for OS X that still works on Mojave...)

I can’t believe that they don’t make something like it today. A small keyboard with Battery power and built in MIDI and audio would be perfect for iOS users.

• Got reply for my request about individual midi channel input per instrument instance in Groovebox !!! Yipiyeeeaah !!

• @klownshed said:
    I have a very old Novation XioSynth.

I bought it for gigging as it was a midi keyboard, midi interface and audio interface with audio input in one device. I never used the synth.

I could play my Bass guitar through logic on my MacBook, play synth parts and output the lot along with backing tracks to the monitors in one box. I just had that and a white plastic macbook. It never let me down. Worked great.

I’ve recently rediscovered the synth side of it and it is a really good synth. I pretty much ignored that aspect of it before. I forgot it even had a synth in it. So I effectively now have a new Novation hardware synth to Play with :smiley:

(I wonder if I can find an editor for OS X that still works on Mojave...)

I can’t believe that they don’t make something like it today. A small keyboard with Battery power and built in MIDI and audio would be perfect for iOS users.

I think XioSynth has same engine like old good Nova (blue one synth) which is btw. far away better synth engine than Ultranova/Hypernova ...

Btw. in my opinion Novation X-Station is still best soundcard / midi interface / midi controller solution for iPad .. there is even place on right side on 45keys version for ipad :-) Still looking for some to purchase :)

• edited May 2020

@dendy said:

Btw. in my opinion Novation X-Station is still best soundcard / midi interface / midi controller solution for iPad .. there is even place on right side on 45keys version for ipad :-) Still looking for some to purchase :)

Totally. My XioSynth is a slightly cut down version of the X-Station. It doesn’t have all the direct controls — you can program everything on the synth through menu diving though — can’t process external audio through the synth but has overdrive on the filter and a sequenced gate which is really cool. I had to look that up :-) (link above).

I still use it all the time with both iOS and my MacBook. The only drawback is that it only has a mono input. But that’s fine for 90% of my needs.

I love it. It’s missing a pot and has a big hole in the front corner from gigging but is still works perfectly.

If I get time (haha, noT much chance of that!) I would like to try it with my circuit mono station. Using the mono station as sequencer and feeding the Audio back into it might be fun. :-)

• I get time (haha, noT much chance of that!) I would like to try it with my circuit mono station. Using the mono station as sequencer and feeding the Audio back into it might be fun. :-)

ha, sounds like good idea for today evening (cause i have mono station too) ... but don't think mono station works like usb audio interface, or am i wrong ?

• @reasOne said:

Absolutely. Its a joy to tune some nice stuff into and the automation is just lovely integrated. Love Groovebox now even more. Boy I with it would be AUv3 ;)

• @dendy said:

I get time (haha, noT much chance of that!) I would like to try it with my circuit mono station. Using the mono station as sequencer and feeding the Audio back into it might be fun. :-)

ha, sounds like good idea for today evening (cause i have mono station too) ... but don't think mono station works like usb audio interface, or am i wrong ?

No I was forgetting the xiosynth doesn’t have a MIDI IN. Out only. Bugger.

Still. I can just sequence the Xio from my Mac or iPhone and still plug the audio out into the audio in of the MS.

Or I can just use a different synth such as the korg prophecy instead. :-)