Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nano studio 2, audio

Hi. Just a bit of appreciation and a question regarding nano studio 2. For a long while I’ve been saying that I didn’t mind auria workflow as I come from a working musician songwriter background and it all made sense to me - I don’t make EDM, I play stuff rather than arranging on piano rolls in general, and the idea of a daw without audio was completely bewildering to me. But more and more I find it’s just a crash machine. It CONSTANTLY crashes, however many tracks there are on an iPad Pro 2017. And it did on other iPads.

So I tried to switch to cubasis. I absolutely hate everythung about how it looks - I get that others differ but to me, I just feel like I’m in some horrendous pre club bar, everythung is that kind of aesthetic, opaque, just anathema to me - I really really dislike dance music aesthetic. But I thought well, if it works it works. I just can’t get on with it, to me everything is unintuitive, I can often bumble my way through apps but nothing seems to do what I feel like it should.

Tried nanostudio 2 yesterday. Had it a while. I have no idea how to use it fully, but just messing around with it and it’s a joy to use relative to the other two. Everythung feels light easy and natural. As mentioned, not into dance music and a lot f what I do is audio based so I wondered if any word on when that’s coming, and also if anyone has any advice on its limitations compared to cubasis or auria. I heard you can’t automate auv3 effects etc... I hope that’s in the works too.

Comments

• I would suggest to maybe try Zenbeats. They are running a free promotion right now. You have audio tracks, full au automation, midi fx recording and a ton more. It’s my go to daw now.

• Best thing to do is chime in here with some sort of inspirational gif to juice up the dev https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/

• @onerez said:
    I would suggest to maybe try Zenbeats. They are running a free promotion right now. You have audio tracks, full au automation, midi fx recording and a ton more. It’s my go to daw now.

+1

• Nanostudio 2 is a wonderful achievement. It’s so hard to get it to give up on you, no matter what you do the UI remains responsive, and nothing stutters or lags like Cubasis does. The audio thing isn’t a deal breaker for me but the AU fx automation is starting to get to me a bit.

I might actually give Zenbeats another go, it was pretty crashy last time I tried though.

• 4 minutes later: nope, still crashy

• ive tried them all and i always end up back at nanostudio to write, and then auria to record audio tracks. Its just a damn solid Midi DAW. I wouldnt hold my breath on the audio tracks for Nanostudio. Its just one guy making the most stable DAW I've seen and handling maintenance and adding new features is time consuming no doubt.

• @drcongo said:
    4 minutes later: nope, still crashy

When scanning plugins, or when actually making music?

Aside from getting through the plugin scanning process, I've not had even a single crash with Zenbeats. Not one. And I use it a lot.

• wimwim
    edited May 2020

@wingwizard said:
    Tried nanostudio 2 yesterday. Had it a while. I have no idea how to use it fully, but just messing around with it and it’s a joy to use relative to the other two. Everythung feels light easy and natural. As mentioned, not into dance music and a lot f what I do is audio based so I wondered if any word on when that’s coming, and also if anyone has any advice on its limitations compared to cubasis or auria. I heard you can’t automate auv3 effects etc... I hope that’s in the works too.

Best just to assume it will be a long time before audio tracks appear. The developer isn't giving out any dates, and marches to his own timetable (which is constrained by only being able to work on NS2 part-time). As there is no info to go on, its best just to be comfortable with the idea that audio tracks may never come.

That said, iPhone version was planned, and it was eventually delivered when it was ready. Audio tracks were to follow, and they will, I'm sure. We may all be deaf and too old to remember what a DAW is by then, but surely they will. ;)

MultiTrack Recorder is a fairly reasonable compromise if audio tracks are needed. You can't record external audio directly into it with NS2, but you can bounce internal tracks and / or record outside of NS2 and then move the audio in.

• Compose and arrange in NS2 --> Export stems --> Mix audio and do vocal + instrument tracking in Auria. Works for me, YMMV.

• You could also use Garageband for audio. If there's one thing Garageband gets right, is how it can handle audio.

If there's one thing it gets wrong, is "Optimizing Performance..."

• @wim said:

@drcongo said:
    4 minutes later: nope, still crashy

When scanning plugins, or when actually making music?

Aside from getting through the plugin scanning process, I've not had even a single crash with Zenbeats. Not one. And I use it a lot.

Same here and recent update took care of crashing during scan. They had to disable showing parameters on some AU’s due to an issue they expect to conquer soon. In the meantime the in-built fx are quite serviceable and they have a new reverb that’s pretty good.

• @wim said:

@wingwizard said:

Best just to assume it will be a long time before audio tracks appear. The developer isn't giving out any dates, and marches to his own timetable (which is constrained by only being able to work on NS2 part-time). As there is no info to go on, its best just to be comfortable with the idea that audio tracks may never come.

That said, iPhone version was planned, and it was eventually delivered when it was ready. Audio tracks were to follow, and they will, I'm sure. We may all be deaf and too old to remember what a DAW is by then, but surely they will. ;)

MultiTrack Recorder is a fairly reasonable compromise if audio tracks are needed. You can't record external audio directly into it with NS2, but you can bounce internal tracks and / or record outside of NS2 and then move the audio in.

@wim just noticed what you wrote about Multitrack Studio. Can audio not be recorded live into it? I was considering buying ?

• @Samflash3 said:
    You could also use Garageband for audio. If there's one thing Garageband gets right, is how it can handle audio.

Optimizing Performance is just a friendly nudge to remind you to live your life. Embrace your loved ones, get a cup of coffee or tea. Meditate silently for a moment. Breathe. Hold. Release...

• edited May 2020

+1 MultiTrack
    Unfortunately @wingwizard it doesn’t allow recording live audio in (you can route instrument audio internally, etc as @wim mentions above)
    I use it for shipping audio tracks in. For what I do, I don’t miss the inability to record live audio...

• @iammane said:

@Samflash3 said:
    You could also use Garageband for audio. If there's one thing Garageband gets right, is how it can handle audio.

Optimizing Performance is just a friendly nudge to remind you to live your life. Embrace your loved ones, get a cup of coffee or tea. Meditate silently for a moment. Breathe. Hold. Release...

Aaaaah, it's about optimizing user performance 😅👍🏼👏

• Can’ help but feel garageband updates are lurking about

• @wingwizard said:
    Hi. Just a bit of appreciation and a question regarding nano studio 2. For a long while I’ve been saying that I didn’t mind auria workflow as I come from a working musician songwriter background and it all made sense to me - I don’t make EDM, I play stuff rather than arranging on piano rolls in general, and the idea of a daw without audio was completely bewildering to me. But more and more I find it’s just a crash machine. It CONSTANTLY crashes, however many tracks there are on an iPad Pro 2017. And it did on other iPads.

So I tried to switch to cubasis. I absolutely hate everythung about how it looks - I get that others differ but to me, I just feel like I’m in some horrendous pre club bar, everythung is that kind of aesthetic, opaque, just anathema to me - I really really dislike dance music aesthetic. But I thought well, if it works it works. I just can’t get on with it, to me everything is unintuitive, I can often bumble my way through apps but nothing seems to do what I feel like it should.

I think you’ll find Zenbeats more like an Auria Pro experience than An NS2 experience.

Like AP it has lots of features.

Like AP it feels alien in iOS and has none of the niceties and attention to detail the nicest iOS apps have.

• @rs2000 n a m a s t e lol

• Adding a slate drum instrument allows you to record audio and import audio.

• @Samflash3 said:
    Adding a slate drum instrument allows you to record audio and import audio.

I have not found this to be an effective workaround, personally. Unintuitive and cumbersome compared to an audio track. However, no gripe from me as the developer never promised a date for audio tracks. Just keeping my fingers crossed.

• @stormbeats said:
    @wim just noticed what you wrote about Multitrack Studio. Can audio not be recorded live into it? I was considering buying ?

MultiTrack can record any audio that it has access to. NS2 doesn't have any way to pipe external audio into an AUFx. So, in NS2 you can't directly record outside audio to MultiTrack.

With NS2 (only) you need to record external audio into MultiTrack outside the app. Once you do, that audio is available to to the instances inside NS2.

Since NS2 can send its internal audio to AUFx, you can record internal audio to it. Just not external audio. Good for bouncing heavy CPU tracks, or tracks that have troublesome AU's.

• @Samflash3 said:
    Adding a slate drum instrument allows you to record audio and import audio.

Obsidian too. But it's a pain for longer audio since you can't start the audio from the middle during playback. OK for short stuff though.

• @wim said:

@stormbeats said:

MultiTrack can record any audio that it has access to. NS2 doesn't have any way to pipe external audio into an AUFx. So, in NS2 you can't directly record outside audio to MultiTrack.

With NS2 (only) you need to record external audio into MultiTrack outside the app. Once you do, that audio is available to to the instances inside NS2.

Since NS2 can send its internal audio to AUFx, you can record internal audio to it. Just not external audio. Good for bouncing heavy CPU tracks, or tracks that have troublesome AU's.

@wim ok cheers

• Have to say I’m pretty happy with Cubasis 2, although I do prefer the piano roll editor in NS2.
    Yet to try Zenbeats.

• @onerez said:
    I would suggest to maybe try Zenbeats. They are running a free promotion right now. You have audio tracks, full au automation, midi fx recording and a ton more. It’s my go to daw now.

+1

I have used NS2 and BM3 and have been using Zen for just over a month and it's the best and most complete DAW experience I've had on iOS even though the guys at Roland keep saying it's not a DAW.

• @wim said:

Amazingly it wasn’t when scanning plugins, and technically it wasn’t Zenbeats that crashed this time, but Pure Acid crashed inside Zenbeats. I use PA a lot and it’s never crashed for me in any other DAW. I really want to like Zenbeats, and I keep going back and trying again, but I’ve never got anywhere close to finishing a track in it. Barely even started one really.

• Thanks everyone. I’ll try zenbeqts, I’ve had since before the takeover but I always opened it and was immediately extremely out off. To be clear, for me personally, I absolutely HATE beatmaker 3 and ableton, which I know is shocking to a lot but I think is a difference between dance and musiciany composition as a loose generalisation, and any view that isn’t a track view. I don’t repeat loops as the basis for what I do, although that’s obviously fine for people that do, I don’t approach music in that way, I can’t stand dance music lol (love electronic music) so I just look at bm3 or ableton (and I used it a fair bit and know you can use track views etc but it doesn’t feel designed around that) and immediately feel I have to bend myself out of shape to try to work out how they’re usable to make music. I had that feeling when I looked at zen beats before the takeover but maybe I’m completely wide of the mark here. I hate it when I open something that’s meant to be for recording songs, and I can’t see hw to record songs, just drum pads and stuff. I feel like an architect who has been commissioned to build a city, and then when I ask to see the plot of land they show me three teaspoons and todays newspaper as though that will answer my question.

• For getting longer audio parts into NS2 I've used Reslice by VirSyn. You can slice your audio and import directly into Slate (or Obsidian). Here's a 3 minute guitar jam sliced and triggered using the Slate pads.

• edited May 2020

@wingwizard said:
    Thanks everyone. I’ll try Zenbeats...>

I found changing the theme helped me appreciate Zenbeats a bit more. Again, it's not to everyone's style but I really like a great looking UI.
    @pbelgium said:

For getting longer audio parts into NS2 I've used Reslice by VirSyn. You can slice your audio and import directly into Slate (or Obsidian). Here's a 3 minute guitar jam sliced and triggered using the Slate pads.

Great tip. I usually load samples into Reslice and play it but this could be potentially better. Not sure what the CPU usage is but hey...

• @Samflash3 said:

@wingwizard said:
    Thanks everyone. I’ll try Zenbeats...>

I found changing the theme helped me appreciate Zenbeats a bit more. Again, it's not to everyone's style but I really like a great looking UI.
    @pbelgium said:

For getting longer audio parts into NS2 I've used Reslice by VirSyn. You can slice your audio and import directly into Slate (or Obsidian). Here's a 3 minute guitar jam sliced and triggered using the Slate pads.

Great tip. I usually load samples into Reslice and play it but this could be potentially better. Not sure what the CPU usage is but hey...

Wow< I really really love that skin, thank you so much. I know it’s a bit dumb to many people, but aesthetic really affects me and I couldn’t stand how it looked at first. That things beautiful.