Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SOLVED (kind of) Will polythemus allow me to play several monophonic mpe synths polyphonically?

Looks interesting, https://apps.apple.com/cn/app/polythemus-au/id1439815017?l=en, but wondering if it would work with shockwave (‘mpe’ monophonic synth).

Anyone know?

**Edit: it definitely works to some extent, can do single note pitch bends while playing chords etc. But need to check more to see if full functionality is there **

Comments

• @Gavinski said:
    Looks interesting, https://apps.apple.com/cn/app/polythemus-au/id1439815017?l=en, but wondering of it would work with shockwave (‘mpe’ monophonic synth).

Anyone know?

Used it to create a polyphonic iVCS3. Very tasty!

• That's not mpe though, is it? :D sounds like a neat idea though

• @Gavinski said:
    That's not mpe though, is it? :D sounds like a neat idea though

No, don't have Shockwave though. How does a mono MPE synth work?

• edited May 2020

@Jocphone said:

@Gavinski said:

The same as polyphonic, but monophonic. Obviously the keyword is “expressive” but people love to argue semantics.

• @brambos said:

@Jocphone said:

@Gavinski said:

The same as polyphonic, but monophonic. Obviously the keyword is “expressive” but people love to argue semantics.

Just trying to work out what it would mean for Polythemus. I guess it would require that the expression data for each note would be routed back to the correct note. Not sure how I would test that.

• @Jocphone said:

@brambos said:

@Jocphone said:

@Gavinski said:

Just trying to work out what it would mean for Polythemus. I guess it would require that the expression data for each note would be routed back to the correct note. Not sure how I would test that.

Ah right, that I don’t know :)

• Maybe it’s worth getting anyway, not like it’s too pricey. What are the great monophonic synths for iOS? I’m trying to think what I have that is monophonic

• But @brambos, you are the midi master and also know about mpe, I think it is unlikely polythemus could do it, what do u think?

• I don’t really know Polythemus, so I really couldn’t say. Perhaps best to ask the developer?

• edited May 2020

For what its worth i tried it with polythemus set to 3 notes round robin fed to 2 zeeons in mono and a phasemaker and it appears to work. No idea whether all the expression is routed correctly. All driven from a Roli Lightpad M

• I got it because it is cheap and sounds useful anyway for the round robin stuff, but I can’t get polyphony using shockwave, though I took only a brief glance at the manual so could be doing something wrong. But I actually highly doubt it will be possible to do. What u r doing is different, because you are just playing 3 regular mono synths with an mpe controller. I doubt that polythemus can pipe through the mpe midi date it receives from an mpe keyboard correctly into an mpe synth. But hope I am wrong!

• Ok, downloaded the Roli Noise app and connected 3 different sounds in 3 instances to Polythemus and yes it does work with the sliding and aftertouch etc..

• Oh wow, it actually seems to be working! I need to fiddle about with it more to see if there are some limitations, but it is definitely allowing me at least to do independent pitch bending! Amazing @Monome I’m only trying here with 2 note polyphony, I’ll try with more now, but I’d be ecstatic to have even two notes with this because I love the sound of shockwave so much

• Getting a little bit of weirdness sometimes, other times it is perfect. I think part of the problem is that in shockwave you have to select which notes will be prioritized. Hm....more tinkering needed, but this will definitely be of some use anyway, even if not perfect. Of course, the best thing would be, just make the damn thing poly haha!

• Hey, thanks for the heads up.
    Yes, better if it was just poly 😊

• For some reason, by the way, I'm having more success with playing this via velocity keyboard than the seaboard....

• What about Mozaic? Isn’t there a script for voice allocation?

• I can get myself tangled up quite well enough with Polythemus running a string of bog-standard synths thanks very much. One of my "go to" contraptions.

It's a delightful little gadget - especially hooked up with something like Quantichord. Things get very complicated very quickly.

Truly amazed that it can run MPE synths accurately... maintains expression to the channel ... who knew??? Off to explore!

Great thread.

• Yeah man! Like I said, I found a few strange aspects but overall was very pleased, it ended up having some interesting combo of characteristics of a poly AND mono at the same time. I got it working with the seaboard in the end too. Need to do more exploring to find out what it can and can't do exactly, but it definitely allows you to play chords and do pitch bends for individual notes. I was highly surprised and impressed!

• Round Robin mode is also cool. You can adjust each instance of the synth, or put separate fx on instances, so for example, some notes might come through with a delay effect, others with panning etc. Surprised this hasn't been mentioned more, seems very cool and I haven't even studied the very thorough manual properly yet. This is insane! I love it.