Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 3 recording problem

I have a newbie question, I know this is a basic thing all DAWs do, but I can't find a way to do it in Cubasis.

When I record a track with the guitar or bass and make a mistake (which happens often), I go back to the point where I made the mistake, with the punch in activated and record that fragment again, all good, but when I play what I have recorded, the old take continues playing along with the new one.

How to configure Cubasis to listen only the last recording?

Comments

• Not entirely sure if there’s a way to truly punch in or out. You could use the split function to trim out the section you want to redo and then record in there.

• I have always manually clipped out the bad part, and spliced in the new part.
    I have Cubasis 2, though.
    Maybe they added a feature to do it automatically in v3, but I haven’t heard of it.

• LFSLFS
    edited May 2020

@gabal said:
    I have a newbie question, I know this is a basic thing all DAWs do, but I can't find a way to do it in Cubasis.

When I record a track with the guitar or bass and make a mistake (which happens often), I go back to the point where I made the mistake, with the punch in activated and record that fragment again, all good, but when I play what I have recorded, the old take continues playing along with the new one.

How to configure Cubasis to listen only the last recording?

Hi @gabal,

Thank you for your message, is it the same post as the one in our Cubasis forum?

Currently, Cubasis plays back audio files that are overlaid on the same audio track at once, similar to a looper.
    To prevent Cubasis from doing this, here are some possible options:

• please select and mute the file you did not want to hear
    • place the audio file onto a different track which is muted
    • double tap the file to open it in the audio editor and save it via "to media", before deleting it

Hope this will help!

Best,
    Lars

• @gabal said:

You can set it to not hear the old track when you’re recording over it but when you play it back you’re going to hear both , I have NO idea why we can’t just punch in and hear the new recording on that track when we play it back , it makes ZERO sense to me at all. As LFS mentioned , you still have to go back and delete the section you don’t want to hear, which only slows down the process and gets in the way of the flow, that’s the only thing I hate about recording audio in Cubasis 2 and 3. I thought version 3 would be better but it’s not , at least for me. If you punch in over a mistake on the same track , the whole point is to not hear the mistake when you play it back, not hear audio stacked on top of each other.

• @LFS said:

Hi @gabal,

Thank you for your message, is it the same post as the one in our Cubasis forum?

Currently, Cubasis plays back audio files that are overlaid on the same audio track at once, similar to a looper.
    To prevent Cubasis from doing this, here are some possible options:

• please select and mute the file you did not want to hear
    • place the audio file onto a different track which is muted
    • double tap the file to open it in the audio editor and save it via "to media", before deleting it

Hope this will help!

Best,
    Lars

Hello Lars, yes, is the same post

It's sad to hear that Cubasis doesn't have that option to record, the alternatives you recommend are the ones I've been using, but they slow down the workflow a lot!!

I don't know if it will be very difficult to implement this way of recording, in my opinion it is something basic that any DAW should have if you want to record audio

Thanks for reply Lars

• @Strizbiz said: I thought version 3 would be better but it’s not , at least for me. If you punch in over a mistake on the same track , the whole point is to not hear the mistake when you play it back, not hear audio stacked on top of each other.

That is what I expected, I thought that the problem was mine because in all the DAWS that I have used on a computer (including Cubase) they have always had this functionality, but recording having to copy, paste, delete, move ... a track it's really tedious

We will have to wait for Cubasis 4.........

• @gabal said:

@Strizbiz said: I thought version 3 would be better but it’s not , at least for me. If you punch in over a mistake on the same track , the whole point is to not hear the mistake when you play it back, not hear audio stacked on top of each other.

That is what I expected, I thought that the problem was mine because in all the DAWS that I have used on a computer (including Cubase) they have always had this functionality, but recording having to copy, paste, delete, move ... a track it's really tedious

Yeah, I’m finding myself back on my MacBook Pro for recording audio these days

• @gabal said:

@Strizbiz said: I thought version 3 would be better but it’s not , at least for me. If you punch in over a mistake on the same track , the whole point is to not hear the mistake when you play it back, not hear audio stacked on top of each other.

You could probably perfect your playing long before Cubasis 4 comes out.
    😉

• edited May 2020

@CracklePot said:

😉

I totally agree, I have been a professional bassist for 15 years and I continue studying several hours a day to continue improving, it is a career that never ends ...

Normally, when I work in a recording studio, I try to record the song in one take, as time is money for the artist who hires and they value how effective you are at recording.

But with the situation that we have now, with the pandemic and the confinement, I have to make the recordings from home and I thought that it would be comfortable to use the iPad and Cubasis to record the orders that I have to dedicate more time to them, now we have a lot of time here in Spain.... Time that I want to use to learn how to use iPad DAWS, because it is always a technician who takes care of it, and in home with the PC do it automatically, that's why I thought it was my fault not being able to record several takes in Cubasis

• LFSLFS
    edited May 2020

@gabal said:

@CracklePot said:

😉

I totally agree, I have been a professional bassist for 15 years and I continue studying several hours a day to continue improving, it is a career that never ends ...

Normally, when I work in a recording studio, I try to record the song in one take, as time is money for the artist who hires and they value how effective you are at recording.

But with the situation that we have now, with the pandemic and the confinement, I have to make the recordings from home and I thought that it would be comfortable to use the iPad and Cubasis to record the orders that I have to dedicate more time to them, now we have a lot of time here in Spain.... Time that I want to use to learn how to use iPad DAWS, because it is always a technician who takes care of it, and in home with the PC do it automatically, that's why I thought it was my fault not being able to record several takes in Cubasis

Hi @gabal, Hi all,

Being a professional bass player myself, it should be easily possible to record several takes with Cubasis, given the available overdub options. It just take a few simple extra steps after your cycle recordings are done:

• Create an additional audio track and set it to mute
    • Place all your cycle takes to this track
    • Put each cycle recording to the original track (or another track) to listen to it

Hope that helps!

For sure, there is room for improvements.
    Nevertheless, it should not take too much time to quickly complete the mission with the given options.

Best,
    Lars