Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AuV3 Expanders

Are there any decent AuV3 Expander apps?

Is AuFX:Push ever going to be AuV3?

Comments

• I use Pro-Q3 as a multiband expander (of sorts)

• FabFilter Pro-MB does multiband expansion

• Pro-MB does look nice, but not sure I can justify it's cost when most of what I need can be done with a Pro-Q3.

Would you say it's worth it @mojozart ?

• And Fabfilter Pro-G for single band.

• @tk32 MB is just another option I'm playing with. I haven't spent enough time with it to answer your question. If used effectively, I think it can save time, and maybe save plugin instances, which should save CPU.

• Unfortunately those aren’t available for iPhone.
    If the were, I’d get ALL the fabfilters.

• The Apple AUDynamicsProcessor is an AUv3 but lacks a proper UI on iOS so it's hidden in most iOS AUv3 hosts.
    It can be used in for example GarageBand and apeMatrix with parameters only, no UI.

The UI is present on the Mac but all the parameters are preset in the iOS AUv3 as well.
    On the Mac the UI looks like this...

Hopefully we'll get the AUv3 UIs as well when iPadOS14 drops later this year...

• @Samu said:
    The Apple AUDynamicsProcessor is an AUv3 but lacks a proper UI on iOS so it's hidden in most iOS AUv3 hosts.
    It can be used in for example GarageBand and apeMatrix with parameters only, no UI.

The UI is present on the Mac but all the parameters are preset in the iOS AUv3 as well.
    On the Mac the UI looks like this...

Hopefully we'll get the AUv3 UIs as well when iPadOS14 drops later this year...

Should be easy to do for any developer who knows a thing about AUv3.
    Doesn't need a fancy UI, just all controls.

• @rs2000 said:

If I recall correctly there's a catch when it comes to re-packaging built-in OS components and re-present it as a new app.
    Then we have the problem that an AUv3 can not host another AUv3 which needed unless the UI is implemented at host level.(Both GarageBand and apeMatrix 'host' the AUv3 and add a parameter UI to it and there was another modular synth I've forgotten the name of that made a serious attempt to add UI to them and the intention was to make the re-skinned AUv3s available to other hosts as well).

In the early BM3 beta days the Apple AUv3's were present but it proved to be a hassle to create a proper UI for them as all parameters do not even have proper names (ie. Apple probably has some private header files that are not shipped with Xcode).

Remains to be seen if iOS/iPadOS14 improves on the situation.

Personally I use expanders quite a lot to keep the noise floor down.
    (I prefer to 'Expand' my samples rather than 'Normalize' them, I know faked dynamics but still).

• @Samu said:

@rs2000 said:

If I recall correctly there's a catch when it comes to re-packaging built-in OS components and re-present it as a new app.
    Then we have the problem that an AUv3 can not host another AUv3 which needed unless the UI is implemented at host level.(Both GarageBand and apeMatrix 'host' the AUv3 and add a parameter UI to it and there was another modular synth I've forgotten the name of that made a serious attempt to add UI to them and the intention was to make the re-skinned AUv3s available to other hosts as well).

In the early BM3 beta days the Apple AUv3's were present but it proved to be a hassle to create a proper UI for them as all parameters do not even have proper names (ie. Apple probably has some private header files that are not shipped with Xcode).

Remains to be seen if iOS/iPadOS14 improves on the situation.

Personally I use expanders quite a lot to keep the noise floor down.
    (I prefer to 'Expand' my samples rather than 'Normalize' them, I know faked dynamics but still).

It must be possible because older versions of apeMatrix had it included.
    Very unfortunately, Alessandro removed them to make space for other parameters, and now you only have a few dubious presets to choose from :(

Luckily, since Drambo I have built my own and it works well.

• @Samu - I've seen this post twice today. Does it mean that if I was to design an app, I can use Apple's FX instead of writing my code (as a temporary effects list, until I can actually write my own DSP code (or use Audiokit)?

• @Samflash3 said:
    @Samu - I've seen this post twice today. Does it mean that if I was to design an app, I can use Apple's FX instead of writing my code (as a temporary effects list, until I can actually write my own DSP code (or use Audiokit)?

Most likely yes, there’s even a Soundfont player in the appstore that uses Apples AUSampler for playback, forgot the name of the app...

• Does the DDMF NYCompressor do expanding?

In the description it states that it does up to 1:10 ratio.
    Is this a typo?

• @jolico said:
    Does the DDMF NYCompressor do expanding?

Is this a typo?

Expansion is different than compression.

Check out the description of the differences between them on the isotope site where they describe an expander as being the opposite of a compressor.

• @Paulinko said:

@jolico said:

Is this a typo?

Check out the description of the differences between them on the isotope site where they describe an expander as being the opposite of a compressor.

Yes. Thank you.
    So, if 10 becomes 1, it is compression.
    If 1 becomes 10, it is expansion.

In the description of NYCompressor it states maximum 1:10.
    Should this be 10:1 ?

• @jolico said:

@Paulinko said:

@jolico said:

Is this a typo?

Yes. Thank you.

It’s a ratio of how compressed the original signal is (which will always by defintion be 1) to the compressed signal so higher numbers means more compression.

This article discusses parallel compression which is what the DDMF NYCompressor does.

• @Paulinko said:

@jolico said:

@Paulinko said:

@jolico said:

Is this a typo?

Yes. Thank you.

It’s a ratio of how compressed the original signal is (which will always by defintion be 1) to the compressed signal so higher numbers means more compression.

This article discusses parallel compression which is what the DDMF NYCompressor does.

But is it ten-to-one downward compression?

Or does it actually reach ONE-to-TEN upward compression (expansion) as stated in the app description?

• edited May 2020

no AU but Push is fkin good

• @noob said:

Push is awesome.
    Really strange that it’s by the developer of AUM, but still hasn’t been converted to AuV3.

• @jolico said:

@Paulinko said:

@jolico said:

@Paulinko said:

@jolico said:

Is this a typo?

Yes. Thank you.

But is it ten-to-one downward compression?

Or does it actually reach ONE-to-TEN upward compression (expansion) as stated in the app description?

It would be 10:1 upward compression.

Here’s the first paragraph from the Wikipedia article on parallel compression:

Parallel compression, also known as New York compression, is a dynamic range compression technique used in sound recording and mixing. Parallel compression, a form of upward compression, is achieved by mixing an unprocessed 'dry', or lightly compressed signal with a heavily compressed version of the same signal. Rather than bringing down the highest peaks for the purpose of dynamic range reduction, it reduces the dynamic range by bringing up the softest sounds, adding audible detail.[1] It is most often used on stereo percussion buses in recording and mixdown, on electric bass, and on vocals in recording mixes and live concert mixes.[2]

If you want more specific information about what the DDMF NYCompressor does, you might want to contact the developer.

• @jolico said:

@noob said:

Push is awesome.
    Really strange that it’s by the developer of AUM, but still hasn’t been converted to AuV3.

Available time. It’s as simple as that.

• @jolico said:
    Are there any decent AuV3 Expander apps?

Is AuFX:Push ever going to be AuV3?

four pockets has an expander of some sort. pretty sure it’s an upward expander.

mani consulting has a downward expander + gate.

i remember the developer of aufx:push acknowledging that he needed to work on auv3 for his aufx series.

as Paulinko has said, ddmf nycompressor appears to do downward (common), and upward (less common) compression. upward compression isn’t expansion.

the ratio stated in the app description does make it a little confusing. i wonder if ddmf nycompressor allow negative ratio values?

• Did someone mention Exciter - it’s free but with 5 min time limit and $4.99 to unlock

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/exciter/id1508955008