Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Bluebird Boulevard / ReflectiveHaze

edited May 2020 in Creations

No, “ReflectiveHaze“ is not a shimmer effect. @ReflectiveHaze is a member who motivated me to remember past shortcomings in my tracks. Notably, looking back, not using midi editor... especially with bass tracks, resulted in less than desirable bass lines. So, thanks, @ReflectiveHaze. Criticism can be a useful tool and you wield it well. See what you think of this...

Comments

• Beautiful. One of my favorite tracks of yours.

• Thank you very much @rs2000.

• Beautiful. Liking the structural enhancement a touch of MIDI editing brings your work!

And fortuitous timing - I was just looking out the window at a Bluebird!

• @LinearLineman Here I go again.......it's soooo beautiful jazzy. The chord progressions are well chosen

• I like this piece a lot as well ;)

I love your compositions, but I think that you are doing your performances a disservice by all the instrument-layering you do. I like the synth tones and sounds you achieve, but I think that when you simply map your MIDI piano performance to a new tone, you lose the purity of your original performance, and I don't feel that the performance qualities of piano (dynamics, sustain pedal, etc.) necessarily work well with the synth tones.

I would love to see more complimentary parts added than layering of new MIDI instruments on existing parts. This is what I try to bring to the table when I approach your tunes - adding more instruments to compliment your existing performance and elevate it. I feel like all the layering distracts from the full emotional resonance of the initial performance.

That's just my own $0.37 - take it with a grain of salt. ;)

• edited May 2020

@aplourde, may the bluebird of happiness always sing out your window. Thanks for listening. And thank you @Pierre118 for your continued support.

@Daveypoo, I have to give what you said more thought, but initially I would say other than adding an occasional lead line I probably will stick with this technique at least for a while.

Foremostly, cause I keep learning more about how to improve the approach. I use the midi editor more and more to refine the individual parts (usually by eliminating excess notes that work as piano playing, lengthening or shortening notes, and adjusting velocities... so far. The future may see me drawing in more notes).

Secondly, cause the interior harmonies work for me when translated into other instruments like strings, brass and synths. The algorithms of the apps often make interesting choices of which notes to play and I usually find that pleasing. Searching for better instrument choices and their entrances and exits is a big part of my learning.

Third, I don’t really see this as composing, but a as a burnishment of an improvised track. The evolution I have experienced is satisfying and I see my “less is more” discernment improving with, I hope, better results. For example, less use of drum tracks that are kind of out of the box (shoot, hit, score @McD!). Now I will look to add a percussive element instead.

Fourth, I admire, but don’t have, the patience you exert when you work on a tune. I am too anxious to move onto the next track. My process is to sit down and play four or five improvised stretches in around half an hour and then knock out one orchestrated arrangement every day or so. For most of us here the pleasure is in the thrill of doing for our own satisfaction, as listeners are few, and I am no exception.

Fifth, I was listening to an improvisation by a great jazz pianist, Dave Frank, and marveled that he has spent his entire musical life refining one musical throughput. Playing the shit out of a piano in a particular style. He has the same opportunity as I to make multitrack recordings, but he seems very satisfied with a narrower focus. Ultimately, as a listener, I will move on and experience many genres and forms, but as an artist I am not thinking I have to entertain in a certain way to maintain an audience. Still, I find diversity in different styles and I hope that provides wider interest for listeners to want to hear what I will do next.

Finally, it has motivated you to apply your careful and creative skills to my basic improvisations. Now, if I can just cajole you to do more.... maybe by stubbornly continuing to use my approach 😳😉😘

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Very nice! I like the instrumentation a lot- how you bring things in and out also. I’m amazed with your use of chords. I feel good when I can get three or four into my compositions!

• edited May 2020

@ReflectiveHaze thanks for listening. Your comments have been very helpful. Much appreciated!

@hypnopad, thanks for liking it. When I studied jazz with Connie Crothers she gave me these sheets filled with numbers. They represented chord voicings starting on different degrees of the scale. There were many aspects to their benefits, but most importantly, for me, was the physical shaping of my hands. Stretching into new shapes laid a foundation for taking risks with unexpected voicings and I imagine a lot of muscle memory was created. I ran thru these sheets of voicings in all twelve keys, major, minor, 7th, diminished, etc, so that was a lot of exercise! It would help if I still did it as the shapes my hands take can become repetitive (especially to me!). Above all, risk taking is necessary. To kind of throw my hands on the keyboard and see what happens.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @hypnopad, thanks for liking it. When I studied jazz with Connie Crothers she gave me these sheets filled with numbers. They represented chord voicings starting on different degrees of the scale. There were many aspects to their benefits, but most importantly, for me, was the physical shaping of my hands. Stretching into new shapes laid a foundation for taking risks with unexpected voicings and I imagine a lot of muscle memory was created. I ran thru these sheets of voicings in all twelve keys, major, minor, 7th, diminished, etc, so that was a lot of exercise! It would help if I still did it as the shapes my hands take can become repetitive (especially to me!). Above all, risk taking is necessary. To kind of throw my hands on the keyboard and see what happens.

I think that's what I'm missing: muscle memory and the tactile experience of playing an instrument. While I love the flexibility of software, there is a bit of a distance and detachment as the fingers are just gliding over arbitrary distances of glass....

• edited May 2020

@LinearLineman said: Above all, risk taking is necessary. To kind of throw my hands on the keyboard and see what happens.

Yes! I also like taking risks and improvising . Just not on chromatic instruments. Too many wrong notes that can be hit!