Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Logic Pro updated to 10.5 now with live looper and step sequencer

Comments

• @TheDubbyLabby said:

@MonzoPro said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Ok, that’s annoying. Logic Remote gave me an update button, so I clicked it, and it stalled halfway through. Then I noticed a message saying it only works with 13x, and I’m on 12.

And now it won’t open.

Thanks Apple.

Look at "bought" area inside your account, maybe it will drop the message "download the latest compatible with your device..."

fingers crossed.

Thanks - just rebooted and it started working again. Phew!

It works so well with Logic, no latency at all, I was thinking I’d have to update to iOS 13. Still tempted as Remote has some really good new features, but mindful it might knobble my old Air 2. I’ll have to see how much I use Logic, and whether it’s worth the risk.

Though for now happy the old Remote version is working again!

I'm using it with mini4 without issue and the specs were similar if I remember right...

@Turntablist said:

@MonzoPro said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Ok, that’s annoying. Logic Remote gave me an update button, so I clicked it, and it stalled halfway through. Then I noticed a message saying it only works with 13x, and I’m on 12.

And now it won’t open.

Thanks Apple.

Look at "bought" area inside your account, maybe it will drop the message "download the latest compatible with your device..."

fingers crossed.

Thanks - just rebooted and it started working again. Phew!

It works so well with Logic, no latency at all, I was thinking I’d have to update to iOS 13. Still tempted as Remote has some really good new features, but mindful it might knobble my old Air 2. I’ll have to see how much I use Logic, and whether it’s worth the risk.

Though for now happy the old Remote version is working again!

It has been said numerous times by numerous other Air 2 users that 13 is actually better than 12, I am one myself, just to reiterate, 13 is better than 12 in every single regard as pertains to the Air 2 in my personal usage.

Ok cheers both. Will definitely consider it a bit more, as the Remote update looks really tasty.

• @WillieNegus said:

Say you created a dope beat in Sequencer but now want pitched kicks and hi hat rolls. Right click region, Convert to midi than, right click seperate midi by pitch. Now go manipulate each sound on its own midi track however you like. BRILLIANT.

It is. You can also add multiple lanes to each channel and automatic the pitch within the step sequencer too. You can also step automate fx parameters too. There’s a lot of hidden depth.

The new features are really nicely integrated. I like the drag and drop features such as how you can drag a sample to the track heading of a drum designer channel in the arrangement window and replace the sample in one click. All those little drag an drop features speed things up no end.

There are tons of little features like that which are really nice.

I know that Live has had a lot of these features for ever but it’s nice to have them in Logic, in a very Logic-ey way.

I like step sequencers and never really loved hyper edit. The new one is great. I was never going to use FL for its step sequencer, but again, it’s nice to have one in Logic.

I had only just started using Reason 11s drum sequencer within Logic when 10.5 dropped. It’s much nicer having it so integrated.

• One omission is that you still can’t record the midi from midi fx (or patch them in the now ancient and pretty much obsolete Environment).

However there’s a free plugin that lets you freeze the midi fx pretty easily.

http://www.audiocr.com/

Well worth downloading if you Ever use midi fx.

• Loving the new sampler and looping. Haven’t explored the step sequencer, need to watch a few tutorials tonight...

• edited May 2020

@klownshed said:
    One omission is that you still can’t record the midi from midi fx (or patch them in the now ancient and pretty much obsolete Environment).

You can with a workaround.
    But you also can use other midi FX to do that like you said. This worked also fine for me.
    https://www.kvraudio.com/product/repeto-standard-by-repeto

• @Clueless said:

@klownshed said:
    One omission is that you still can’t record the midi from midi fx (or patch them in the now ancient and pretty much obsolete Environment).

You mean like the workaround I mentioned and that you quoted? ;-) :lol:

• @klownshed said:

@Clueless said:

@klownshed said:

No, something without third party tools like this here:

of course not the best way but it works

• @Clueless said:

@klownshed said:

@Clueless said:

@klownshed said:

Oh yeah you can route midi out of the app and back again but That’s a total pain in the arse. The midi fx freeze app lets you just drag the captured midi wherever you want it.

Apple could have update the environment to let you route midi from plugins the way you can from channels. You’d think midi Routed from one channel to another would also include midi fx but it doesn’t work.

They’ve abandoned the environment I guess.

Shame as if they brought it up to date you could do lots of modern style modulation type stuff there.

• @klownshed said:

@Clueless said:

@klownshed said:

@Clueless said:

@klownshed said:

Oh yeah you can route midi out of the app and back again but That’s a total pain in the arse. The midi fx freeze app lets you just drag the captured midi wherever you want it.

Apple could have update the environment to let you route midi from plugins the way you can from channels. You’d think midi Routed from one channel to another would also include midi fx but it doesn’t work.

They’ve abandoned the environment I guess.

Shame as if they brought it up to date you could do lots of modern style modulation type stuff there.

Yeah. I love the midi FX channel and Logic midi FX are great and the easy way to use the modulator f.e. to modulate all automations parameters (also from other midi FX) with a simple learn.
    But beside that Logic midi routing is way behind most other DAWs and also the stacked tracks (and it is a limitation also that the Drum Designer is just a stacked track) and things like sub-mixing is not so straight forward. But i still find Logic came already with the best synths and FX of any DAW for my taste and now the quick sampler and new multi-sampler put that even higher.
    But i like to use things like Unify which add some missing features i would like to have in Logic. So there is almost always some third party tool as workaround.
    Still amazing what value i got from my €179 years ago without having to pay for major updates. So i might should not complain (but i do :))

• I start to love the sampling options more and more in Logic now. The drop and drag everywhere is what i really like. IOS NEEDS the same kind of workflow in all DAWs, please!

• edited May 2020

@Clueless said:
    I start to love the sampling options more and more in Logic now. The drop and drag everywhere is what i really like. IOS NEEDS the same kind of workflow in all DAWs, please!

Yeah, it's nice but it's kinda 'sloppy buggy' at the moment, not un-usable just a bit annoying :)
    (Most 'youtube reviewers' are still so hyped about the new feature so they have not noticed the 'bug'!).

When dragging stuff from the time line to Quick Sampler it always converts the file no matter what it is to 16-bit AIFF. (The Default 'format' and 'bit depth' can be changed by doing 'Audio Export' of an Audio Region and changing the settings, they stick after the export).

Everything recorded with the quick sampler is saved as 16-bit AIFF-C(Lossless compression), have not found a way to change that yet...

Oh well, apart from 'loop/cycle' sporadically stopping to work it's a pretty solid update...

• @tpj said:

Beautiful... can you import a midi file into the step seq?

• Can you automate the sample start in the step sequencer, using an LFO?

I’m interested whether you can use a random LFO to grab slices out of a longer sample. This is one of my main uses for Digitakt, and I wonder if Logic now does it.

• @RajahP said:

@tpj said:

No. You can go the other way (convert a pattern region into a 'normal' MIDI region) but not from MIDI to pattern region.

You can still use the old step editor to view midi files as steps though. It's been there forever. Used to be called "Hyper Edit". The new step sequencer is much nicer though :-)

You can save pattern presets within the editor for use in any project.

• edited May 2020

@klownshed said:

@RajahP said:

@tpj said:

No. You can go the other way (convert a pattern region into a 'normal' MIDI region) but not from MIDI to pattern region.

You can still use the old step editor to view midi files as steps though. It's been there forever. Used to be called "Hyper Edit". The new step sequencer is much nicer though :-)

You can save pattern presets within the editor for use in any project.

Would be fab to bring in your own midi files.. and edit probability, repeats, etc... Not just drums... but melody also..

• Does logic currently warp audio like Ableton or just have time stretching?

• edited May 2020

@kobamoto said:
    Does logic currently warp audio like Ableton or just have time stretching?

Isn´t warp not also just "time stretching"?
    And yes, Logic does also warp things with the flex engine (but also before 10.5).
    Not sure how they compare.
    Edit: I had a look and it looks like Logic offers 7 different algorithms to warp audio with flex inside Logic.
    Not sure what Live offers.

• @Clueless said:

@kobamoto said:

no warping makes the audio elastic so you can manipulate It by pulling , anchoring, pushing, anchoring but still keeps it in time, this is the core reason of why I use Ableton, and is why it's my go for mangling audio on the computer, it's endless what you can do... I love allot of what I see in logic, but it's been a very long time since I've used it... if it has that single feature of warp marker manipulation I might like to get into it again after this release has settled down a bit?

• edited May 2020

@kobamoto said:

@Clueless said:

@kobamoto said:

no warping makes the audio elastic so you can manipulate It by pulling , anchoring, pushing, anchoring but still keeps it in time, this is the core reason of why I use Ableton, and is why it's my go for mangling audio on the computer, it's endless what you can do... I love allot of what I see in logic, but it's been a very long time since I've used it... if it has that single feature of warp marker manipulation I might like to get into it again after this release has settled down a bit?

Read my edit. It does quite the same i think these days. But there are of course tons of you-tube videos about this as well :)
    I do not like Live so and i also just own a Live Lite version i use from time to time (as well as Bitwig 8-track) beside Logic. But i think once you use a major DAW for years it really hard to go to another.
    I think nearly all major DAWs offer quite the same features, some less, some more.

• @Clueless said:

@kobamoto said:

@Clueless said:

@kobamoto said:

Read my edit. It does quite the same i think these days. But there are of course tons of you-tube videos about this as well :)
    I do not like Live so and i also just own a Live Lite version i use from time to time (as well as Bitwig 8-track) beside Logic. But i think once you use a major DAW for years it really hard to go to another.
    I think nearly all major DAWs offer quite the same features, some less, some more.

thanks for the heads up, I will check but in case you see this before I check , I'm not talking about the time stretching algorithm which is what it sounds like you're talking about in your edit, I'm talking about setting warp anchors within an audio clip?

• @kobamoto said:

@Clueless said:

@kobamoto said:

@Clueless said:

@kobamoto said:

thanks for the heads up, I will check but in case you see this before I check , I'm not talking about the time stretching algorithm which is what it sounds like you're talking about in your edit, I'm talking about setting warp anchors within an audio clip?

You mean something like this here?

• edited May 2020

on first > @Clueless said:

@kobamoto said:

@Clueless said:

@kobamoto said:

@Clueless said:

@kobamoto said:

yes yes that's it exactly... I see, it's not there yet but basically the tools are there to do the job. With Ableton there isn't any need to slice anything up first or basically use several tools to do it, it's the core feature of warp markers so you just place the marker and drag the audio to where you want, but this video is the perfect example if I was in logic of how to go about it so thank you!

this is how you have to do it on an mpc right now too but without anchors.. boo

logics is so close though, I wonder why the slicing part is even needed I don't see why that part is even necessary?

• edited May 2020

@kobamoto said:

@kobamoto said:

@Clueless said:

@kobamoto said:

@Clueless said:

@kobamoto said:

yes yes that's it exactly... I see, it's not there yet but basically the tools are there to do the job. With Ableton there isn't any need to slice anything up first or basically use several tools to do it, it's the core feature of warp markers so you just place the marker and drag the audio to where you want, but this video is the perfect example if I was in logic of how to go about it so thank you!

this is how you have to do it on an mpc right now too

I think this also works in Logic so if you want but not sure since i seldom use flex, lol.
    But of course i would recommend the 90 day demo of Logic to find out. Maybe time for me to find out myself what flex all can do :D
    I´m sure you can add or remove markers and also can move them like you want individually. So is that not what you want?

• another one by the same guy....

• @Clueless said:

@kobamoto said:

@kobamoto said:

@Clueless said:

@kobamoto said:

@Clueless said:

@kobamoto said:

this is how you have to do it on an mpc right now too

I think this also works in Logic so if you want but not sure since i seldom use flex, lol.
    But of course i would recommend the 90 day demo of Logic to find out. Maybe time for me to find out myself what flex all can do :D
    I´m sure you can add or remove markers and also can move them like you want individually. So is that not what you want?

yes logic even has the anchors, it is basically almost the same but there are some extra steps that seem unnecessary, like they have no necessary function.. it might even just be for the sake of not being identical with Ableton... but thank you I wasn't aware of this... I have always preferred logics comping to any other application.

• garage band on iOS can't do this right?

• @kobamoto said:
    garage band on iOS can't do this right?

Nope and that's why it would be so nice if GarageBand iOS would get Flex Time & Pitch :)

• edited May 2020

I wonder which iOS app (or DAW) can do this actually. Auria Pro?
    I must say that also flex is surprising low on cpu if i use that within the sampler and the results are good.
    Just for fun i spend my voice (and my voice isn´t something for singing a sing) and quite amazing what effects and even musical chords you get within a minute.
    I freaking love the quick sampler really. I have maybe even some tools for this with a 1000 features more but they melt my cpu or just its no fun to dig around menus and sub-menus.
    Logic 10.5 is a bit unstable here and it broke some of my favorite tools but the new samplers are worth it.

• Ironically GarageBand for iOS already has support 'Flexi Time & Pitch' as the AppleLoops utilize them to do pitch and time adjustments. But there is not way to analyze user recorded audio...