Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Logic Pro updated to 10.5 now with live looper and step sequencer

Comments

• I used autosampler for the first time with my monologue- amazing! And now it’s “polyphonic.”

• edited May 2020

Hacked my Mac and installed Mojave.
    Logic Remote is amazing.

• Sometimes I get mad at myself because the 'bug hunter' surfaces...

Turns out that the QuickSampler can only record in 16-bit when using the build-in recorder and it always uses the AIFF-C as the file format thus quick sampler does NOT respect the audio format settings set in the Logic preferences, like WTF?!
    (If I import a 24-bit file *.wav it stays 24-bit and as *.wav though so it's not converted to 16-bit AIFF-C PUHH!).

Also it's not possible to directly go to the 'Audio Editor' from the Quick Sampler in case there is a need to do some destructive editing, the optimize volume has has a limited range and sometimes there might be the need to properly normalize the sample.

In the bigger sampler there's an option to open the file in the Audio Editor.

The 'workarounds' here are to record to an audio track and then create a QuickSampler instrument from the region.
    It would be nice to have an option to show the Quick Sampler audio files under project audio...

I still enjoy using the QuickSampler but I'll go back to recording the audio on the regular time line and chop there until this 'bug' gets fixed... (I do feel another update will drop soonish considering the amount of bugs users bump into).

• edited May 2020

@Samu

Yes, there are lots of little bugs here and there. I’ve not found anything show stopping yet though.

As for the quick sampler, it looks and feels like an iOS device. The limitations you’ve found make me think even more that we might just be witnessing the future of an iOS app but on the Mac first. for a change. There’s not much need to use a compressed file format on the Mac as standard. On iOS however... 🤫

Drum synth looks even more like its made for iOS.

Some of the new stuff also feel a bit bolted on and makes logic pause playback... I hope that’s going to be fixed. One of the key features of logic is that it never pauses playback.

You can’t edit pattern regions with the normal piano roll or step editor (aka hyper edit).

Still really enjoying all the new stuff in 10.5 though :-)

• @klownshed said:

>

Still really enjoying all the new stuff in 10.5 though :-)

Yeah, I really love the update too :)
    (Maybe some day we can control the quick sampler using the logic remote app).

• Mhh, i´m might be not so happy anymore since more plug-ins crash and in this case Logic just shut down.
    2 of my favorite plug-ins are affected. Maybe i roll back for now.

• @Clueless said:
    Mhh, i´m might be not so happy anymore since more plug-ins crash and in this case Logic just shut down.
    2 of my favorite plug-ins are affected. Maybe i roll back for now.

Which plugins? I was following the thread on gearslutz as well and some plugins were mentioned. Some have fixes already, some not yet, and some issues were happening in catalina while mojave was not affected.

I don’t see my mac on catalina any time soon, all working well on mojave.

• I’m on Mojave and there are bugs but it’s not crashing on me.

Don’t have many plugins installed but have been using Reason a lot and it’s all ok.

Catalina might be the first Mac OS I ever completely skip. Since system 5.

• I've had to downgrade my main production machine to High Sierra again.
    I did install 10.5 on Mojave but realised I couldn't see the playhead at all. Not a lot of point having it if you can't see the playhead move when you play something.

• edited May 2020

@cyberheater said:
    I've had to downgrade my main production machine to High Sierra again.
    I did install 10.5 on Mojave but realised I couldn't see the playhead at all. Not a lot of point having it if you can't see the playhead move when you play something.

Happened to me once on Mojave. Sort of. I could see the play head but it wouldn’t move.

But a restart of logic fixed it and it’s not happened again.

• @klownshed said:

@cyberheater said:
    I've had to downgrade my main production machine to High Sierra again.

Happened to me once on Mojave. Sort of. I could see the play head but it wouldn’t move.

But a restart of logic fixed it and it’s not happened again.

I might give it another go. I seem to have plenty of time on my hands at the moment.

• The Quick Sampler 16-bit recording-thing is definitely a bug...
    The AutoSampler respects the bit-depth setting but still defaults to using AIFF but imported samplers use their original format.
    Actually it's using AIFF-C with is AIFF with lossless compression. Same with the QuickSampler (16-bit AIFF-C)

Oh well, I'm still enjoying the update like a lot! :)

• edited May 2020

@ruggedsmooth said:
    so the new update isn’t Compatible with the launchpad pro mk3 yet but it is for the x and mini.

I was looking at the pro mk3 hard... hopefully it gets added soon!

You'd have to turn the launchpad round 90°... Live has the cells going the other way.

Wouldn't be much of an issue with the X or Mini, but you can’t really use the Pro turned 90° without compromising most of it's additional features.

• @klownshed said:

@ruggedsmooth said:
    so the new update isn’t Compatible with the launchpad pro mk3 yet but it is for the x and mini.

You'd have to turn the launchpad round 90°... Live has the cells going the other way.

Wouldn't be much of an issue with the X or Mini, but you can’t really use the Pro turned 90° without compromising most of it's additional features.

Let's hope someone is working on dedicated device for Logic.

• edited May 2020

@WillieNegus said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@klownshed said:

@ruggedsmooth said:

Let's hope someone is working on dedicated device for Logic.

I hope one arrives at some point this year. I’m also looking at an akai force. I was interested before but it looks to have everything needed to be Logics Push.

Akai could develop a dedicated one such akai fire for FLstudio.

• @Samflash3 said:

@WillieNegus said:
    RIP Ableton. Just bought a Push 2 thinking this update was still months off. Time to sell it. Probably grab an MPC 1 or LPX. Remote will do for now. I love Ableton but wasn’t looking forward to shelling out a few more hundred to upgrade Live Intro to Suite on top of the Push 2 purchase. Now I don’t have too. Logic was always my fav but Zenbeats on iOS had me fiending for a loop based workflow on desktop. Welp....thanks apple.

IMO, there isn’t a better value out there than a Logic X.

I'm looking at the student version. It's insane. $199 for Mainstage, Logic pro, Final Cut, and 2 other apps? I don't even have a Mac but I'm tempted to buy the app just for the sake of having it (since I'm still a student).

https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/product/BMGE2Z/A/pro-apps-bundle-for-education

I bought the student version too a few months ago. Nobody ever checked if I was eligible (which I was btw). Ymmv but I think it is worth trying to just buy the student collection if you were planning on this purchase anyway.

• @klownshed @TheDubbyLabby @WillieNegus @Eriko
    Can't you edit the controller mapping inside LPX anymore?
    It used to be possible but I haven't done it for a while.

• edited May 2020

@Eriko said:

@Samflash3 said:

@WillieNegus said:
    RIP Ableton. Just bought a Push 2 thinking this update was still months off. Time to sell it. Probably grab an MPC 1 or LPX. Remote will do for now. I love Ableton but wasn’t looking forward to shelling out a few more hundred to upgrade Live Intro to Suite on top of the Push 2 purchase. Now I don’t have too. Logic was always my fav but Zenbeats on iOS had me fiending for a loop based workflow on desktop. Welp....thanks apple.

IMO, there isn’t a better value out there than a Logic X.

I'm looking at the student version. It's insane. $199 for Mainstage, Logic pro, Final Cut, and 2 other apps? I don't even have a Mac but I'm tempted to buy the app just for the sake of having it (since I'm still a student).

https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/product/BMGE2Z/A/pro-apps-bundle-for-education

I bought the student version too a few months ago. Nobody ever checked if I was eligible (which I was btw). Ymmv but I think it is worth trying to just buy the student collection if you were planning on this purchase anyway.

I'm planning on it but for the near future. There's a small side of me that's saying "Buy it now...Apple might increase the price and bring this to iPad Pro" but I think it's overall better for me to wait and see before making a decision. Time value of money, and whatnot...

Plus I don't have a Mac. That said, I did buy the Musicmakers bundle deal. Maybe I should just take the plunge and get Drambo.

• Still great new additions but i find more and more annoying bugs which renders it a pain now like that i cannot record more than one stacked track at the same time (only if i enable each sub-track which was not needed before).
    I guess i was way to euphoric and there is no way i stay happy with 10.5 at this stage with my current workflow.
    So i go back to the previous version so far. Maybe 10.5.1 is it.

• @rs2000 said:
    @klownshed @TheDubbyLabby @WillieNegus @Eriko

I tried yesterday to map the Conspiracy but I don't understand how it really works so I didn't keep trying... Having the iPad mini and m-audio iControl I have ATM covered my needs... I even considering avoid Launchpad (until Launchcontrol XL mk3 arrives someday) but if you said that to map any controller I was wondering the same with just an APC40 which has the perfect form factor from my POV and are cheap these days...

• @TheDubbyLabby said:

@rs2000 said:
    @klownshed @TheDubbyLabby @WillieNegus @Eriko

I tried yesterday to map the Conspiracy but I don't understand how it really works so I didn't keep trying... Having the iPad mini and m-audio iControl I have ATM covered my needs... I even considering avoid Launchpad (until Launchcontrol XL mk3 arrives someday) but if you said that to map any controller I was wondering the same with just an APC40 which has the perfect form factor from my POV and are cheap these days...

Before purchasing any MIDI controller it's a good idea to triple-check features and available translations, converters, scripts, environments etc, especially if you do not want to spend the time to create your own mapping.

Logic has always supported the Mackie Control and even though I've heard of BOME MT Pro mappings translating between MPC40/II and Logic, a hardware controller that supports it out of the box is usually the better buy.
    Although being a hands-on guy, I personally don't like hardware controllers too much and prefer the iPad for two reasons: Less space needed and it's wireless so I can easily put it on top of my keyboard or guitar amp when recording.
    There are free Lemur templates available that emulate a Mackie Control (I like the https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/342/ very much).

• Yes I feel the same and I will wait for buying any new controller (for logic or anything else). I don’t want to set them anymore...

• edited May 2020

Oh, i´m doomed since my back-up went wrong. So i guess since Apple do not allow to officially download older versions when a new is out i am stuck now with 10.5. Lesson learned. Always do your back-up right and/or wait a while before update.
    I mean it is still awesome and i love the new samplers and other added things but in general 10.5 is a step back for live midi input and is more towards loop based and sequenced music. But i hope its a bug and not a feature this time ;)
    Anyone know if there is another way to roll back if your back-up failed?
    (beside going back to an older OS which means deleting everything, start with the OS it came with and then you can load an older, last working Logic for the OS).

• Totally missed this update. Bought Logic years ago but hardly used it, as my old laptop was a bit of a chugger, and then I got into the iPad, and Live......

But this update adds a lot of very tasty Live-esque features. The new laptop is on the latest OS, has a decent amount of grunt so.....I’m going in....

• Ok, that’s annoying. Logic Remote gave me an update button, so I clicked it, and it stalled halfway through. Then I noticed a message saying it only works with 13x, and I’m on 12.

And now it won’t open.

Thanks Apple.

• edited May 2020

But back to the good things since i´m anyway stuck with 10.5 and have to live with a few workarounds now for some time (or forever?).
    Really nice that the autosampler is now also inside Logic, so i do not need Mainstage as workaround now. Then finally it seems that most of the good Redmatica Keymap features are now finally included as well.
    Its going to be my favorite sampler and i feel new love for all the good old EXS24 instruments. I forgot how good some are indeed. With a midi script in Logic on top you even can do nice legato libraries. It will not replace Kontakt but it is really so cpu efficient and easy to use. I sampled all my favorite iSymphonic presets into it to have finally control of an envelope and more. It really sound much better there and even more natural to perform inside the sampler.
    iSymphonic really has some unique sounds but it performs terrible within the app and editing is a pain. Now it makes sense to maybe buy for iSymphonic presets to to sample it into the Logic sampler. Put the Logic ChromaVerb on top and you have some really great sounds.
    I guess while i wait for 10.5.1 to solve some bugs i will sample the shit out of my iOS apps. Like EXS24 the sample is really low on cpu and i can run so many instances without problems. Now that tweaking is a lot more easy for me and also easy on the eyes i finally got deeper in all my old and the default EXS24 instruments.
    Really reminds me how good they are. Also nice to save cpu if you use sampled instruments in such an efficient sampler instead of using cpu hogs or overcomplicated, feature packed tools when it is not needed.
    So Logic 10.5, autosampler and sampler/quick sampler are a wonderful combo.
    Oh and i really grow on the quick sampler and that you can record everything from everywhere into it turn flex time on and you have a nice unique instrument.
    It is a bit like Serato Sample (but i think Serato still has the better algos for time stretch across a higher range of octaves) but more easy to use and more cpu efficient.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Ok, that’s annoying. Logic Remote gave me an update button, so I clicked it, and it stalled halfway through. Then I noticed a message saying it only works with 13x, and I’m on 12.

And now it won’t open.

Thanks Apple.

Look at "bought" area inside your account, maybe it will drop the message "download the latest compatible with your device..."

fingers crossed.

• edited May 2020

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Ok, that’s annoying. Logic Remote gave me an update button, so I clicked it, and it stalled halfway through. Then I noticed a message saying it only works with 13x, and I’m on 12.

And now it won’t open.

Thanks Apple.

Look at "bought" area inside your account, maybe it will drop the message "download the latest compatible with your device..."

fingers crossed.

Thanks - just rebooted and it started working again. Phew!

It works so well with Logic, no latency at all, I was thinking I’d have to update to iOS 13. Still tempted as Remote has some really good new features, but mindful it might knobble my old Air 2. I’ll have to see how much I use Logic, and whether it’s worth the risk.

Though for now happy the old Remote version is working again!

• @MonzoPro said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@MonzoPro said:

And now it won’t open.

Thanks Apple.

fingers crossed.

It works so well with Logic, no latency at all, I was thinking I’d have to update to iOS 13. Still tempted as Remote has some really good new features, but mindful it might knobble my old Air 2. I’ll have to see how much I use Logic, and whether it’s worth the risk.

I'm using it with mini4 without issue and the specs were similar if I remember right...

• @MonzoPro said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@MonzoPro said:

And now it won’t open.

Thanks Apple.

fingers crossed.

It has been said numerous times by numerous other Air 2 users that 13 is actually better than 12, I am one myself, just to reiterate, 13 is better than 12 in every single regard as pertains to the Air 2 in my personal usage.