Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Logic Pro updated to 10.5 now with live looper and step sequencer

Comments

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    I actually thought I had updated and was surprised to see I hadn't. Just about to restart with Catalina when I see the numerous one-star reviews on the App Store.

Just update to Mojave- you can always go the rest of the way later if you want. I love Mojave & run it on my main work computer bc I have some old 32-bit utilities n things that I’m not quite ready to give up yet. If you don’t see Mojave on the App Store do a search for download macOS Mojave & you’ll find an Apple article with a direct link.

• edited May 2020

I have downloaded Catalina and now it's requiring me to restart. I haven't restarted yet, but I fear the rollercoaster is already at the top of the hill and I can't turn back now.

Seems the only 32-bit app on my Macbook is the iRig Pads Editor. Hmmmph.

• edited May 2020

@ExAsperis99 said:
    I have downloaded Catalina and now it's requiring me to restart. I haven't restarted yet, but I fear the rollercoaster is already at the top of the hill and I can't turn back now.

Seems the only 32-bit app on my Macbook is the iRig Pads Editor. Hmmmph.

If I could go back... I wouldn't have updated when it launched... or, after the first 3 or 4 updates. But now... on the other side of it, I'd likely do it now. I didn't have any 32-bit apps that I really miss at all. It mostly exposed a bunch of garbage that should've been deleted a long time ago.

My Catalina system is pretty solid. Knowing what I know now... I'd go ahead and update. YMMV

Edit: one thing though... I'm nowhere near as precious with any software as many on this forum seem to be. Most of the time I figure I got my money's worth within the first few months anyway. So letting legacy stuff fade away has never really been an issue that troubled me much.

• That seems to be the consensus, Skip.
    Thanks for the advice. I sent a note to IK Multimedia about the iRig Pads Editor. Hopefully I'll be able to use them with the awesome new Logic update.

@ikmultimedia

• @cyberheater said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@cyberheater said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@cyberheater said:
    I'm on High Sierra :(

I jumped... I hope don't regret it...

My production music machine doesn't support any higher.

Well I hope mine works fine and it was cheaper when I bought it (400€ with ssd and 16gb ram) so maybe you can find an old machine suitable and cheap. It's a shame for sure (and one of the reasons I'm more and more into hardware solutions)

I’ve been looking on YouTube and you can install Mojave on unsupported macs. I’m going to give it an go.

Not sure if this kind of thing still works, but sometimes you could also make your operating system run unsupported apps. I ran Logic 8 for ages in an OS that only support Logic 9 by modifying some line of text somewhere. There were a few quirks but it was basically fine.

• So can the loops be triggered by MIDI, or not, like Garageband.

• I was wondering; and in case anyone else was wondering the same thing: no update for MainStage yet. I’m curious what parts of this might make their way into MainStage, hoping for the new sampler at least.

• @Turntablist said:
    So can the loops be triggered by MIDI, or not, like Garageband.

I want to think YES but I didn’t try yet. Peter Kirn says at CDM even launchpad support is coming... and also I want to remember you the recipes workaround for the iOS version if you need midi control on it (until they add it someday)

• @TheDubbyLabby said:

@Turntablist said:
    So can the loops be triggered by MIDI, or not, like Garageband.

I want to think YES but I didn’t try yet. Peter Kirn says at CDM even launchpad support is coming... and also I want to remember you the recipes workaround for the iOS version if you need midi control on it (until they add it someday)

Here, they say:

Trigger cells and other functions in Live Loops with support for Novation Launchpad (Launchpad, Launchpad MK2, Launchpad Mini, Launchpad Mini MK3, Launchpad Pro, Launchpad S, Launchpad X)

I don’t have a Launchpad. Can anyone try if it works as they say?

• So far I’m loving the logic 10.5 update. Live loops are really well implemented and With the new quick sampler there’s a definite nod to Ableton there.

Regardless of whether GB gets an update soon or Logic ever comes to iOS it bridges the gap between iOS and logic by being able to import GB projects with live loops.

I can now use GB and fill it will loops I’ve made with all the other iOS goodness and just open it in logic ready to go. Logic makes arranging the liveloops much easier, especially using an iPad as a performance controller.

Such a good update.

The new features seem to be really well implemented. I'd be happy to buy any of the features as an iOS plug-in; Quick sampler as an auv3 for iOS would be awesome. As would the step sequencer and drum synth.

The Drum machine designer update is also fantastic; You can get really deep with it. For example, It's possible to have a ridiculous Reason Rack in just one pad of the drum machine within one cell of live loops. And then add multiple fx and step automate each one with the step sequencer. Powerful stuff.

• I hate to say it, but…

Now that I’m not going to go out of the house, ever, for the next several decades, and therefore will never get on a tube train ever and will never commute to work, I’m now not quite getting the value I used to get from mobile devices. I mean, I’m always here. It’s not as if I desire to usefully utilise the otherwise wasted commuting time, there isn’t any anymore. Therefore it makes nearly no difference whether a sound or a sequence is harnessed using an iPhone, iPad, Mac or a bunch of vintage hardware – it’s all here in the same place, nothing’s going anywhere, being mobile is hardly an advantage any more. Using an app on the iPad is exactly as convenient as using an app on my Mac, now.

• Just got email, Launchpad now works with Live Loops in Logic.

• @WillieNegus said:

@auxmux said:
    Just got email, Launchpad now works with Live Loops in Logic.

Thanks. Now im definitely selling my Push 2. Ive mapped user mode to control most of Logic even loops but considering you can’t get any feed back in Push LED it’s essentially an overpriced Launchpad without Ableton Live.

I get that Apples answer to Push is Logic Remote but I still want something more tactile than glass.

https://github.com/Ableton/push-interface
    With that available, you would hope that somebody may do a Logic compile of the Push 2 firmware.

• @WillieNegus said:

@auxmux said:

Thanks. Now im definitely selling my Push 2. Ive mapped user mode to control most of Logic even loops but considering you can’t get any feed back in Push LED it’s essentially an overpriced Launchpad without Ableton Live.

I get that Apples answer to Push is Logic Remote but I still want something more tactile than glass.

Can you do snapshots on live loops.. like, not being restricted to ‘lanes’ for scenes.. but can take any clips to make a scene?

• Is there a direct link to download the 10.5 demo file? My mac is offline. I only have my iOS devices online and then I airdrop...

• @WillieNegus said:

@RajahP said:

@WillieNegus said:

@auxmux said:

Can you do snapshots on live loops.. like, not being restricted to ‘lanes’ for scenes.. but can take any clips to make a scene?

Don’t have it loaded up at the moment but you can trigger loops all over the grid mix and matching scenes however I don’t believe you can play 2 clips of the same midi (horizontal track) channel if that’s what you mean. I think that’s the way Ableton is just flipped 90°.

Thanks..

• The main reason for having Live still is Max for Live.

• edited May 2020

@Turntablist said:

@WillieNegus said:

@auxmux said:

https://github.com/Ableton/push-interface
    With that available, you would hope that somebody may do a Logic compile of the Push 2 firmware.

That repository doesn’t contain the Push firmware but just documentation how to interface/talk with the Push. I don’t think the Push firmware is open source.

• @auxmux said:
    The main reason for having Live still is Max for Live.

And being able to route midi and audio without wanting to shoot yourself.

• @mistercharlie said:

@auxmux said:

Haha! We'll see how the trial goes once I get it, but probably sticking with Live. I've used it for years though less now. Tried bitwig and couldn't really into it despite better visuals.

• I’ve always hated Live’s UI and loved Logic’s. I’m so glad they added those samplers. They’re bananas. You have an auto sampler too. It’s an audio effect. It’s the SampleRobot one. Or whatever team they bought.

I really love it.

• This logic update has put my iPad production into indefinite hiatus.

• edited May 2020

@u0421793 said:
    I hate to say it, but…

Now that I’m not going to go out of the house, ever, for the next several decades, and therefore will never get on a tube train ever and will never commute to work, I’m now not quite getting the value I used to get from mobile devices. I mean, I’m always here. It’s not as if I desire to usefully utilise the otherwise wasted commuting time, there isn’t any anymore. Therefore it makes nearly no difference whether a sound or a sequence is harnessed using an iPhone, iPad, Mac or a bunch of vintage hardware – it’s all here in the same place, nothing’s going anywhere, being mobile is hardly an advantage any more. Using an app on the iPad is exactly as convenient as using an app on my Mac, now.

That's not how I see it. Now is the time to prepare your tools, and learn stuff you wouldn't have had time to learn. I feel there's a shift coming in mobile production and now is the time to master your craft. It won't replace PC or laptops, but it gives you the ability to do so much more with so little.

Clear example- Logic Remote with Mac OS, or even learning more about the apps you already have.

• The Quick Sampler is growing on me like crazy... Where's is the iPad AUv3 equivalent?

Please Apple, Make it an AUv3 for iPadOS :D

• @Samu said:
    The Quick Sampler is growing on me like crazy... Where's is the iPad AUv3 equivalent?

Please Apple make it an AUv3 inside of a Logic for iPadOS 😊

• @Samu said:
    The Quick Sampler is growing on me like crazy... Where's is the iPad AUv3 equivalent?

Has anybody noticed just how much bigger the UI is on all the new stuff?

The lablees in Ultra beat are practically invisible on a Retina screen. The drum synths UI is huge.

Big enough to work with a fingertip... 🤫

• @klownshed said:

The lablees in Ultra beat are practically invisible on a Retina screen. The drum synths UI is huge.

Yepp and I like it, it's easier on my eyes too...
    The Quick Sampler feels so 'touch friendly' like it was almost designed to be used by touching it :D

• @auxmux said:

@mistercharlie said:

@auxmux said:

Haha! We'll see how the trial goes once I get it, but probably sticking with Live. I've used it for years though less now. Tried bitwig and couldn't really into it despite better visuals.

Live is so much easier for almost everything, but I do miss some Logic features. Comping, the loops and soft instruments. And now all this amazing new stuff. Shame my old iMac can’t run it.

• @klownshed said:

@Samu said:

Has anybody noticed just how much bigger the UI is on all the new stuff?

Yes Agreed wish my MBP had a touch screen.

Only a completely different note, it’s a shame Novation LP Pro MK 3 at least is not compatible for now with the loop functionality or though some of the older Launchpads are best is not always best !

https://novationmusic.com/en/news/launchpad-logic-pro