Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Piano Motifs by Fernando Morales

1235750

Comments

  • edited May 2020

    @azul3D_Apps : further to my last, would you consider allowing some limited external control/constraint over the internal parameters your algorithm uses to generate the motif?

    It would be nice to be able to specify the key or scale type, the note/octave range the motif is created within, and the length, in time and/or bars and beats, the motif runs for. I would also like the motif to be capable of extending or ‘improvising’ new sections of itself in a coherent way after a user selected number of iterations.

    @brambos has a great example of this in his mutate and sequencer functions for Rozetta Bassline, and a great way of building out a song from discrete sections using ‘after this play last/first/next/any’ logic.

    As @JohnnyGoodyear suggests, if these are ambitious asks, then an in-app IAP or ‘Pro’ version (definitely worth it if it includes an upgrade to AU!) as an additional purchase would be fully justified, and there’d be one happy customer for your hard work right here. :)

  • @azul3D_Apps said:

    @Toastedghost said:
    Love this app but after a while of trying different motifs the skip button disappears... odd.
    Cheers

    @Toastedghost, yes that is quite odd. Could it be that you were replaying a motif that had already been generated? In that case, the skip button isn’t displayed. I will probably enable it in that case too.

    Thanks.... Your app produces some lovely melodies.

    2 requests

    1 Midi out would make this sensational.

    1. An ability to to set scale and time signature again would be mind blowing.

    It is just the ipad file system that drives me bonkers, your app produces lovely melody and then my deslick head spend half an hour moving them to a place I can play them, not your fault by the way.

    And thanks a million.

  • @azul3D_Apps said:
    You are correct about there not being a way to stop the playing of previously saved motifs. I can look into that, but you would lose the ability of sharing the corresponding audio file (not the MIDI file) as this file is generated on the fly when the saved motif is played. Audio files for saved motifs aren’t stored on the device to save on device storage space.

    Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the quick answer...The most I use your app, the most I like it.

  • @Svetlovska said:
    @azul3D_Apps : further to my last, would you consider allowing some limited external control/constraint over the internal parameters your algorithm uses to generate the motif?

    It would be nice to be able to specify the key or scale type, the note/octave range the motif is created within, and the length, in time and/or bars and beats, the motif runs for. I would also like the motif to be capable of extending or ‘improvising’ new sections of itself in a coherent way after a user selected number of iterations.

    @brambos has a great example of this in his mutate and sequencer functions for Rozetta Bassline, and a great way of building out a song from discrete sections using ‘after this play last/first/next/any’ logic.

    As @JohnnyGoodyear suggests, if these are ambitious asks, then an in-app IAP or ‘Pro’ version (definitely worth it if it includes an upgrade to AU!) as an additional purchase would be fully justified, and there’d be one happy customer for your hard work right here. :)

    Hi @Svetlovska, lots of good requests for new features here. As I mentioned before, there is a plan to add an expert mode where key, scale, and time signature can be selected. Hopefully I can continue adding more features later. Your feedback is very valuable. Thanks.

  • @Toastedghost said:

    @azul3D_Apps said:

    @Toastedghost said:
    Love this app but after a while of trying different motifs the skip button disappears... odd.
    Cheers

    @Toastedghost, yes that is quite odd. Could it be that you were replaying a motif that had already been generated? In that case, the skip button isn’t displayed. I will probably enable it in that case too.

    Thanks.... Your app produces some lovely melodies.

    2 requests

    1 Midi out would make this sensational.

    1. An ability to to set scale and time signature again would be mind blowing.

    It is just the ipad file system that drives me bonkers, your app produces lovely melody and then my deslick head spend half an hour moving them to a place I can play them, not your fault by the way.

    And thanks a million.

    I hear you about the file system, Apple needs to work on making it more intuitive to use. At least now we have one. It used to be even worse before, when there wasn’t even direct access to the file system.

  • Pick this up this morning, some very cool Voodoo Magic going on behind the curtain. Thanks for this, sounds great.

  • @azul3D_Apps just out of curiosity did you calculate a number of random motif creations that are possible, and if so do you have a ballpark figure? If not it’s cool, I was just wondering how many unique motifs could potentially be created. I’m sure it’s a lot. If you only calculate the variables we know about, 2 Time Signatures, 75 Tempos, 12 Keys, & 4 Scales, it would be high, then you add in whatever algorithms are behind the scenes... If you know but do not want to reveal that number to the general public that’s fine as well. Cheers. Thanks for a great app!

    Also, a pause button as mentioned above would be quite nice.

  • Oh ok I see your response about losing audio file if paused. Never mind.

  • @azul3D_Apps said:

    @Toastedghost said:

    @azul3D_Apps said:

    @Toastedghost said:
    Love this app but after a while of trying different motifs the skip button disappears... odd.
    Cheers

    @Toastedghost, yes that is quite odd. Could it be that you were replaying a motif that had already been generated? In that case, the skip button isn’t displayed. I will probably enable it in that case too.

    Thanks.... Your app produces some lovely melodies.

    2 requests

    1 Midi out would make this sensational.

    1. An ability to to set scale and time signature again would be mind blowing.

    It is just the ipad file system that drives me bonkers, your app produces lovely melody and then my deslick head spend half an hour moving them to a place I can play them, not your fault by the way.

    And thanks a million.

    I hear you about the file system, Apple needs to work on making it more intuitive to use. At least now we have one. It used to be even worse before, when there wasn’t even direct access to the file system.

    I remember the days... it is a little better, though sometimes I feel like a donkey chasing its tail

  • @RJB said:
    Pick this up this morning, some very cool Voodoo Magic going on behind the curtain. Thanks for this, sounds great.

    Thanks @RJB. Voodoo Magic, mysterious...I love the different descriptions you guys are coming up for the app! 😀

  • @Toastedghost said:

    @azul3D_Apps said:

    @Toastedghost said:
    Love this app but after a while of trying different motifs the skip button disappears... odd.
    Cheers

    @Toastedghost, yes that is quite odd. Could it be that you were replaying a motif that had already been generated? In that case, the skip button isn’t displayed. I will probably enable it in that case too.

    Thanks.... Your app produces some lovely melodies.

    2 requests

    1 Midi out would make this sensational.

    1. An ability to to set scale and time signature again would be mind blowing.

    It is just the ipad file system that drives me bonkers, your app produces lovely melody and then my deslick head spend half an hour moving them to a place I can play them, not your fault by the way.

    And thanks a million.

    I usually move them to a folder in Audioshare. Audioshare can actually play MIDI files.

  • edited May 2020

    @Poppadocrock said:
    @azul3D_Apps just out of curiosity did you calculate a number of random motif creations that are possible, and if so do you have a ballpark figure? If not it’s cool, I was just wondering how many unique motifs could potentially be created. I’m sure it’s a lot. If you only calculate the variables we know about, 2 Time Signatures, 75 Tempos, 12 Keys, & 4 Scales, it would be high, then you add in whatever algorithms are behind the scenes... If you know but do not want to reveal that number to the general public that’s fine as well. Cheers. Thanks for a great app!

    Also, a pause button as mentioned above would be quite nice.

    @Poppadocrock, I would say the number of unique motifs is endless. You might get motifs that have the same style or sound, but there is a lot of directed random variability especially in the melody algorithms. Apart from the parameters you mentioned, there are approximately 120 preset chord progressions (you know, like the ubiquitous I-V-VI-IV, or the 12 bar blues chord progression), but there is also an algorithm to pick random chord progressions. There are around 50 different preset accompaniments, some of which have 4 different ways in which they are played. Now when it comes to the melody, there is a 2 layer rest algorithm and about 15 different melody types with their own music theory rules to pick notes from. Finally there is a repeat sequence algorithm, which depending on melody type repeats for a controlled random number of bars, the same notes for different chords or the same notes relative to the chord. So there it is, the Voodoo Magic! 😀
    Of course, the idea is to continue enriching the variability, there are still many musical styles and sounds to explore.

  • Fascinating, brilliant job you did on this

  • @azul3D_Apps said:

    @RJB said:
    Pick this up this morning, some very cool Voodoo Magic going on behind the curtain. Thanks for this, sounds great.

    Thanks @RJB. Voodoo Magic, mysterious...I love the different descriptions you guys are coming up for the app! 😀

    Even with the above description, it’s still a beautiful mystery to me.

  • I read the fist page of this thread and thought, Nah, not for me. But the thread grew insistent, and kept growing, and now I understand. This is a neat app.

    This may have been covered, but how are you getting your midi sequencing in AUM? Is Photon the only way, really? Atom doesn't accept midi file imports. Does Drambo?

    @azul3D_Apps Thanks for this. It's great.

  • @ExAsperis99 said:
    I read the fist page of this thread and thought, Nah, not for me. But the thread grew insistent, and kept growing, and now I understand. This is a neat app.

    This may have been covered, but how are you getting your midi sequencing in AUM? Is Photon the only way, really? Atom doesn't accept midi file imports. Does Drambo?

    @azul3D_Apps Thanks for this. It's great.

    Not certain I understand your question, but I love just throwing any and all into NS2, adding two different isypmphonics and lots of things as appropriate, slowing the speed and then cutting (judiciously!) at least half the notes out.... :)

  • @JohnnyGoodyear said:

    @ExAsperis99 said:
    I read the fist page of this thread and thought, Nah, not for me. But the thread grew insistent, and kept growing, and now I understand. This is a neat app.

    This may have been covered, but how are you getting your midi sequencing in AUM? Is Photon the only way, really? Atom doesn't accept midi file imports. Does Drambo?

    @azul3D_Apps Thanks for this. It's great.

    Not certain I understand your question, but I love just throwing any and all into NS2, adding two different isypmphonics and lots of things as appropriate, slowing the speed and then cutting (judiciously!) at least half the notes out.... :)

    Correct answer!

  • @JohnnyGoodyear said:

    @ExAsperis99 said:
    I read the fist page of this thread and thought, Nah, not for me. But the thread grew insistent, and kept growing, and now I understand. This is a neat app.

    This may have been covered, but how are you getting your midi sequencing in AUM? Is Photon the only way, really? Atom doesn't accept midi file imports. Does Drambo?

    @azul3D_Apps Thanks for this. It's great.

    Not certain I understand your question, but I love just throwing any and all into NS2, adding two different isypmphonics and lots of things as appropriate, slowing the speed and then cutting (judiciously!) at least half the notes out.... :)

    I was hoping to be able to make this work in AUM; I guess it would be easy enough to load the midi files in Xequence.

  • @ExAsperis99 : works fine in AUM if you are prepared to use Photon AU, and you can then record that result into Atom. Pity you can’t do it one stop in either of these, but still...

  • @azul3D_Apps minor bug noticed: if you add time signature to the name when saving (e.g. 4/4), then the motif does not appear in the list of in-app saves.

    Has anyone successfully imported the generated midi file into BM3? Seems like I'm only getting the right hand notes.

  • Edit: BM3 import works, just notice that right hand is imported onto pad 1 and left hand onto pad 2. So I had to set up two Beathawk pianos to hear the same motif.

  • @Gavinski said:
    I would really like a feature where you can select in advance the minimum octave used in the piece. Because I like to slow things down to 2/3 or 1/2 speed, and this works better with the original recording at a higher pitch, otherwise it is very boomy. But I think for other uses this would also be good. For example, people might want their piano bit to be used for a bass, or be in the mid range, or more treble, so this would be good for lots of use cases. @azul3D_Apps

    I can agree. If your rather use the midi output, then e.g. the automatic split to pads 1 and 2 in BM3 makes it easy to use a Mozaic script as MIDI fx to transpose up the left hand. Also other scripts for randomly dropping notes etc.

  • @bleep said:

    @Gavinski said:
    I would really like a feature where you can select in advance the minimum octave used in the piece. Because I like to slow things down to 2/3 or 1/2 speed, and this works better with the original recording at a higher pitch, otherwise it is very boomy. But I think for other uses this would also be good. For example, people might want their piano bit to be used for a bass, or be in the mid range, or more treble, so this would be good for lots of use cases. @azul3D_Apps

    I can agree. If your rather use the midi output, then e.g. the automatic split to pads 1 and 2 in BM3 makes it easy to use a Mozaic script as MIDI fx to transpose up the left hand. Also other scripts for randomly dropping notes etc.

    Cality diversifies things nicely.

  • edited May 2020

    @azul3D_Apps few bugs to report:

    1. Audio file would not open the ‘open in’ dialogue box to choose which app to open it in. But it was working with midi. I had to close the app and restart, and suddenly midi audio was shareable as normal

    2. I shared a file to AudioCopy and then opened in AUM file player. The original was 17 seconds. In AUM, it was only about 4 seconds *nothing to do with a BPM change by the way) and cut off abruptly.

  • Musk Midi Player works great too. IAA AB3 and Core Midi

  • I think there is also something wrong with the bpms the app is claiming for tracks. I just now had a track that claimed to be 120 bpm, but when I opened it in AUM, which was also set at 120 bpm, and then measured the actual bpm that the piano motif was playing at, it was playing more around 133bpm.

  • Would anyone else maybe check manually whether the bpm stated by the app matches the real bpm it’s playing at? I just checked another motif, bpm was also off by about 10

  • @bleep said:
    @azul3D_Apps minor bug noticed: if you add time signature to the name when saving (e.g. 4/4), then the motif does not appear in the list of in-app saves.

    Has anyone successfully imported the generated midi file into BM3? Seems like I'm only getting the right hand notes.

    @bleep, thanks for finding this. Yes "/" is sometimes tricky to handle for file names in some file systems. You will see a fix in the next revision. The other unintended consequence of using "/" in the name is that an audio file will not be available for sharing. A MIDI file will be available, but with a shortened name using the characters after the "/".

  • @Gavinski said:
    @azul3D_Apps few bugs to report:

    1. Audio file would not open the ‘open in’ dialogue box to choose which app to open it in. But it was working with midi. I had to close the app and restart, and suddenly midi audio was shareable as normal

    2. I shared a file to AudioCopy and then opened in AUM file player. The original was 17 seconds. In AUM, it was only about 4 seconds *nothing to do with a BPM change by the way) and cut off abruptly.

    @Gavinski, thanks for pointing these issues out. In our testing we never encountered these issues, I will DM you with questions I have about these issues and the bpm issue you have seen.

  • Bought to support ;)

Sign In or Register to comment.