Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Piano Motifs by Fernando Morales

Comments

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@azul3D_Apps said:
    A new version of Piano Motifs (v2.59.3) is now available. This version has the following new features:

• Added new Chord Sequence Accompaniment Style. When you select this Accompaniment Style you will be able to determine on which beats of the accompaniment (at a 1/8 note resolution) a chord will be played or held, or if there is to be a rest for that beat.
    • Added new melody algorithms for randomly generated motifs.
    • Added new accompaniment preset for randomly generated motifs.
    • When auditioning an arrangement both the section name and the motif name will be displayed.
    • Minor bug fixes and improvements.

Try the new Chord Sequence Accompaniment Style. Combine it with the Multi Chord Bar function in the Program Chord Progression screen to easily generate some cool accompaniments.

To learn more about these features and any other Piano Motifs' feature you can consult the manual by pressing the Info button (i) on the top right. You can also check the following YouTube channel for tutorials and demos on how to use Piano Motifs:

https://youtube.com/channel/UCUiDIViA8mx3p2Ev6p1bsFw

Enjoy!

Yowza, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the new chord sequence style. It works great to get a quick simple riff going and then layer on different arps and stuff. Excellent addition.

@lukesleepwalker, glad to hear that! We need to listen to one of your creations again.

• @azul3D_Apps said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@azul3D_Apps said:
    A new version of Piano Motifs (v2.59.3) is now available. This version has the following new features:

• Added new Chord Sequence Accompaniment Style. When you select this Accompaniment Style you will be able to determine on which beats of the accompaniment (at a 1/8 note resolution) a chord will be played or held, or if there is to be a rest for that beat.
    • Added new melody algorithms for randomly generated motifs.
    • Added new accompaniment preset for randomly generated motifs.
    • When auditioning an arrangement both the section name and the motif name will be displayed.

Try the new Chord Sequence Accompaniment Style. Combine it with the Multi Chord Bar function in the Program Chord Progression screen to easily generate some cool accompaniments.

To learn more about these features and any other Piano Motifs' feature you can consult the manual by pressing the Info button (i) on the top right. You can also check the following YouTube channel for tutorials and demos on how to use Piano Motifs:

https://youtube.com/channel/UCUiDIViA8mx3p2Ev6p1bsFw

Enjoy!

Yowza, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the new chord sequence style. It works great to get a quick simple riff going and then layer on different arps and stuff. Excellent addition.

@lukesleepwalker, glad to hear that! We need to listen to one of your creations again.

Sure, I'll post something here as soon as I can find a few minutes.

• edited March 2022

A new version of Piano Motifs (v2.60) is now available. This version has the following new features:

• Added the ability to mute melody or accompaniment for a section in arrangements.
    • Added the ability to determine what sections to play when auditioning arrangements.
    • Maximum number of bars that can be programmed was increased to 128 bars.
    • Minor bug fixes and improvements

If you are having fun using Piano Motifs and you're getting some cool tracks out of it, please consider leaving a review in the App Store.

Enjoy!

• edited March 2022

A new version of Piano Motifs (v2.61) is now available. This version has the following new features:

• New Root Melody Harmony Mode. When the Root Harmony Mode is selected the root note of the bar chord is used as a harmony note for random notes of the melody.
    • New options for the Arpeggio Sequence Accompaniment Style. You can now select to have a random triad note (T) or a random scale note (R) as part of the arpeggio sequence. This option adds variation for each arpeggio of the motif.
    • Added the ability to change MIDI Out channels for an arrangement section's melody and accompaniment. This option will only be available when the MIDI Out IAP has been purchased.
    • Added a percentage indicator for the Melody Note Frequency Slider.
    • Fixed crash that can occur when the Accomp Rest Every N Bars is used, or some internally generated accompaniments are used.
    • Fixed issue with 3rd track having the incorrect chord when using the Slow Arpeggio Accompaniment Style and Programmed Chord Progressions.

When using MIDI Out you are now able to play different sections of a motif on different instruments easily, by setting the sections’ MIDI channels for melody and accompaniment in the Arrangement Screen. To access this, in the Arrangement Screen press on the section you want to modify the default channels for. You will then get a contextual menu with many different options. Press the right arrow until you get to the MIDI Out Melody and MIDI Out Accomp options.

Give the root harmony a try, it creates some interesting melodic textures. Also, sprinkle some randomness in your arpeggio sequences for some variety in your accompaniments.

Enjoy!

• Very cool stuff. Appreciate your work on it.

• Hi @azul3D_Apps ,

thanks a lot for the continous work on Piano Motifs.

When i generated a motif with broad settings (lots of ‚any‘ etc) there are many results that i would like to ‚generate more of‘. But as a musical noob, i am not able to deduct the settings that were actually used to generate the piece i a listening to (ie progression, acc style, melody constraint) . Would it be possible to display them with an info button ? (or even to lock them, so that one could instantly generate variations with the ‚next‘ button ?)

Currently i save their midi and then analyse it to figure out the settings to later try to generate variations.

• @Model10000 said:
    Very cool stuff. Appreciate your work on it.

Thanks! So glad you are liking the new features.

• @_ki said:
    Hi @azul3D_Apps ,

thanks a lot for the continous work on Piano Motifs.

When i generated a motif with broad settings (lots of ‚any‘ etc) there are many results that i would like to ‚generate more of‘. But as a musical noob, i am not able to deduct the settings that were actually used to generate the piece i a listening to (ie progression, acc style, melody constraint) . Would it be possible to display them with an info button ? (or even to lock them, so that one could instantly generate variations with the ‚next‘ button ?)

Currently i save their midi and then analyse it to figure out the settings to later try to generate variations.

Thanks @_ki!

You can currently instantly lock either the accompaniment or the melody before you generate a new motif. After you generate a motif, you can press "NEXT" and you will see a "LOCK PREV" button. Either the accompaniment or the melody will be locked when you press "PLAY" depending on the value of the Lock parameter in the "SETTINGS" screen. You will continue to generate motifs with either the same accompaniment or the same melody until you press the "UNLOCK" button.

I have created a tutorial where the Accompaniment Lock is used, you can check it out here:

• @azul3D_Apps Thanks for the video - that was very informative.

I managed to lock the progression & accompaniment and just generate new melodies 👍🏼

While testing around with locking i noticed that changing the accompaniment style in settings will remove the lock (and its icon) and a complete new motif is generated. Maybe allow an accomp style change while locked and then just keep the current progression with a new style ?

I still would love to get detailed info about all the current settings used in a motif (ie progression, octaves min/max, accomp style, melody max dur, melody note freq) to get a better feeling for the various settings parameters and maybe write them down if i like a combination - to later directly set such values for other progressions or motifs.

Piano Motifs is really enjoyable, it generates many varied and emotional pieces :)

• This is a nice app! Do you have any plans to release it for Mac? Even if I already got it for IOS I don't mind paying again for the mac version!

• @azul3D_Apps Do you consider a M1 compatible version? it would be great to use Piano Motifs on my Macbook Pro.

• @_ki said:
    @azul3D_Apps Thanks for the video - that was very informative.

I managed to lock the progression & accompaniment and just generate new melodies 👍🏼

While testing around with locking i noticed that changing the accompaniment style in settings will remove the lock (and its icon) and a complete new motif is generated. Maybe allow an accomp style change while locked and then just keep the current progression with a new style ?

Yes, when changing some settings you will lose a lock. Basically any setting that will change the accompaniment and/or the chord progression will remove the lock. The problem with accompaniments is that they are very closely tied to the progression when the motif is generated randomly. The chosen accompaniment in many cases introduces variations to the chord progression depending on many different internal parameters. The app can't guarantee that if you change the accompaniment the same exact progression will be used. The only time the app can guarantee the same chord progression, is if you have programmed the progression. In this case the app will force accompaniments that don't introduce variations to the chord progression. So if you want to maintain the same chord progression and change accompaniment styles, you need to program your own chord progression.

I still would love to get detailed info about all the current settings used in a motif (ie progression, octaves min/max, accomp style, melody max dur, melody note freq) to get a better feeling for the various settings parameters and maybe write them down if i like a combination - to later directly set such values for other progressions or motifs.

All the settings that you see are abstractions for a subset of the many internal random parameters used by the app. When a random motif is generated there might be a lot of information that can't be abstracted to conform to the settings you see in the app. One such thing is the chord progression, since like I said above it is heavily tied to the many random parameters used to choose an accompaniment. I could, at some point in the future, abstract some of the easier ones.

Piano Motifs is really enjoyable, it generates many varied and emotional pieces :)

Thanks, I'm glad you're finding great variation in Piano Motifs, that is something I have aimed for when I have introduced all the new features.

• Hi @piccolo and @Pierre118,

Unfortunately to be able to release an M1 Mac compatible app, it is necessary to test it on M1 Mac hardware. I currently don't have access to that type of machine.

• @azul3D_Apps said:
    Hi @piccolo and @Pierre118,

Unfortunately to be able to release an M1 Mac compatible app, it is necessary to test it on M1 Mac hardware. I currently don't have access to that type of machine.

I can understand, but can enable it for use with a M1. We can give some feedback,

• @Pierre118 said:

@azul3D_Apps said:

I can understand, but can enable it for use with a M1. We can give some feedback,

Yes please! I can also do beta test in TestFlight!

• Just picking up on what @azul3D_Apps is saying about keeping the same chord progression while changing the accompaniment style here is an example of exactly that (plus a bit of shameless self publicity for my recent ‘The Geo SWAM Album’). Here the chord progression along with setting the Min Bass Interval = On creates a nice ascending / descending motif even when I varied the accompaniment style .

• @GeoTony said:
    Just picking up on what @azul3D_Apps is saying about keeping the same chord progression while changing the accompaniment style here is an example of exactly that (plus a bit of shameless self publicity for my recent ‘The Geo SWAM Album’). Here the chord progression along with setting the Min Bass Interval = On creates a nice ascending / descending motif even when I varied the accompaniment style .

That one came out very good. Is it all PM-generated?

• 100% @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr . 5 different motifs put into an arrangement. Interestingly it uses the accompaniment and 3rd track, not the melody. This is how @azul3D_Apps explained how to do the ascending /descending trick…
    ‘To achieve an ascending (or descending) chord progression you can set Min Bass Interval to On and create a chord progression that crosses the octave boundary, for example: I-IV-V-vi-I-IV-V-vi in CMaj. You just need to make sure that the chords where the octave boundary is crossed, in this case vi and I, are close. If the next chord after vi would have been iii or above, for example, the chord would have stayed in the same octave as the vi chord.’

• @piccolo said:

@Pierre118 said:

@azul3D_Apps said:

Yes please! I can also do beta test in TestFlight!

@Pierre118 and @piccolo,
    Thanks for offering your help and for your support. To ensure the quality of the app I need to be able to do full testing myself. As more features have been added to the app, testing is now a big task.

• @GeoTony said:
    Just picking up on what @azul3D_Apps is saying about keeping the same chord progression while changing the accompaniment style here is an example of exactly that (plus a bit of shameless self publicity for my recent ‘The Geo SWAM Album’). Here the chord progression along with setting the Min Bass Interval = On creates a nice ascending / descending motif even when I varied the accompaniment style .

@GeoTony, great piece! Good example of how you can use the Min Bass Interval parameter.

• Completely new design! I love before I even tried it!

• Wow! That was a surprise way to start the day, can’t wait to get stuck in, great work Fernando

• Wonderful to see how this application continues its evolution and we are all blessed by the dev's generosity of spirit.

• The new design nicely lays out the elements. 👍

• As you have noted a new version of Piano Motifs (v3.0) is available. This version has a completely new and redesigned UI and workflow. Hope you like the new look.
    If you like Piano Motifs, please consider leaving a review in the App Store.
    Enjoy!

• Even more of a pleasure to work with now. Nice work. Think you’ll ever make a morph mode where it just keeps generating in the background with no user intervention? Would pay for that as iap.

• edited April 2022

@Model10000 said:
    Even more of a pleasure to work with now. Nice work. Think you’ll ever make a morph mode where it just keeps generating in the background with no user intervention? Would pay for that as iap.

Oooh and make the new motif function triggerable by MIDI. That could be fun.

• @gusgranite said:

@Model10000 said:
    Even more of a pleasure to work with now. Nice work. Think you’ll ever make a morph mode where it just keeps generating in the background with no user intervention? Would pay for that as iap.

Yeah, nice idea. Would be cool if it would morph different parameters too like accompaniment type

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@gusgranite said:

@Model10000 said:

Yeah, nice idea. Would be cool if it would morph different parameters too like accompaniment type

I’d definitely use it more if there was something like this, though I think the way it works relies on the pieces being pre ‘rendered’ as it were…

• Great, for me this new user interface works much more intuitive. Thanks developer!