Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Piano Motifs by Fernando Morales

Comments

• edited January 2022

A new version of Piano Motifs (v2.55.1) is now available. This version has the following new features and fixes:

• New Pedal Point Arpeggio Accompaniment Style. This accompaniment will be a random arpeggio where the scale tonic or dominant tones will be played either on the even or odd beats of the bar. When this option is selected a popup screen will be displayed which will allow you to define what tone you want and on what beat (even or odd) of the bar you want it played.
    • Added the ability to have a multi bar sustain for the Chord Sustain and Bass Sustain Accompaniment Styles. When enabled a multi bar sustain chord or bass will be played when consecutive bars have the same chord.
    • Added new chord progressions for randomly generated motifs.
    • When MIDI Out is enabled, the chords in the Program Chord Progression Screen will be played on the Melody MIDI channel.
    • Fixed issue with anchor of option menu when selecting a motif in the Library on iPads.
    • Fixed issue with incorrect motif name in Arrangements when motif has been renamed.
    • Fixed issue with incorrect author name for an Arrangement.

Try the new Pedal Point Arpeggio, it can generate some nice accompaniments.

If you find the app to be useful and you like what it generates please consider leaving a review in the App Store.

Enjoy!

• McDMcD
    edited January 2022

Wow. Time for another test drive making MIDI files for import into LK and Staffpad. I also wonder... does MIDI Mixer from 4Pockets import MIDI files? That might be powerful because LK is a bit fiddly and a mixer user interface might be just the ticket for your 3 part MIDI creations. And with the ability to generate more parts I could make 6-10 parts to mix with.

Has anyone tried this? I'll read the app description for clues.
    UPDATE: 4Pockets Helium looks promising for importing MIDI files to
    channels.

MIDi mixer doesn't save MIDI but it does save MIDI Mixer sessions for replays with automation. It's like an external MIDI Mixer with motorized sliders and memory.

When Loopy Pro adds MIDI we'll probably get closer to a clean user interface for multi-MIDI track "Piano Motifs" generated projects.

Maybe "MIDI Tape Recorder" might be helpful. Has anyone tried it yet for this use case?

For longer MIDI files, I'm finding that passing them through Notion to create a Music XML file allows for a crash proof import into Staffpad. So, 32 or 64 bar Motifs with variations could be possible with a lot of processing of files in the workflow. It's worth it to avoid writing all these parts with a pencil and getting a ton of baselines, counterpoint (harmonically aligned melodies) and controllable chord progressions.

Tip your server (right in the app).

• @onerez said:
    Im sorry if this has been asked.. could not find anything on it. Will this ever be able to run on the latest M1 MacBook Air??? Love this app so much !!!!

Hi @onerez, I haven’t investigated what it will take to run the app on M1 Macs. I would only feel comfortable releasing after I test the app on an M1 Mac, which I currently don’t have.

• Yes. 4Pockets Helium is ideal for orchestrating/arranging Piano Motifs variations.
    I created 5 variations of the melody... if I entered the chord progression I could also
    create multiple baselines to add to the fun.

Here's ny first test drive of importing PM MIDU files into Helium and assigning instruments for each part in AUM. Bass + PAD (Chords) + 5 Instruments.

• Damn, @McD! That’s really sweet sounding.

Bravo!

• @McD said:
    Yes. 4Pockets Helium is ideal for orchestrating/arranging Piano Motifs variations.
    I created 5 variations of the melody... if I entered the chord progression I could also
    create multiple baselines to add to the fun.

Here's ny first test drive of importing PM MIDU files into Helium and assigning instruments for each part in AUM. Bass + PAD (Chords) + 5 Instruments.

Cool @McD. I was wondering if after locking the accomp to generate the melody variations you could then lock the melody to generate the bass line variations without a need to enter the chord progression.

• McDMcD
    edited January 2022

Here's the same set of PM MIDI's imported into Staffpad... only one of the files needed to be imported through Notion. It has a very high note that I assigned to the piccolo. The only Staffpad editing I did other than part assignments (usually due to pitch range) was to set volume levels and panning so a part sit well in the mix.

• @azul3D_Apps said:
    Cool @McD. I was wondering if after locking the accomp to generate the melody variations you could then lock the melody to generate the bass line variations without a need to enter the chord progression.

I haven't tested that yet. This example is a lock of the first arrangement that I liked after auditioning 3-4 earlier. It's in Em and I'm a sucker for minor orchestral music. After hitting the lock then I saved using the 3 file option 6 sets of 3 files. All the accompaniments are the same so I only import 1. All the pads/chords are identical so I import one and assign it to some strings. Then I import the 6 Melodies and pass them out.

I will try something based on one of my favorite chord progressions and get some variations of accompaniment (arp'ed, syncopated, chordal, etc) and I assume pads will always stay the same.

To build longer works I'd repeat this process to create AABACA types of compositional structures and look like a hero when in fact... it's just basic "Note Processing" with an automatic composer. Still, I get some credit for selection of the better stuff and maybe throwing out a few parts that don't add much. In Staffpad I could also hand write out more
    material that contrasts your creations.

Feel free to point to this example with a #Staffpad hashtag in social media to drive more sales. If you get more customers we'll get more features.

• @McD said:
    I haven't tested that yet. This example is a lock of the first arrangement that I liked after auditioning 3-4 earlier. It's in Em and I'm a sucker for minor orchestral music. After hitting the lock then I saved using the 3 file option 6 sets of 3 files. All the accompaniments are the same so I only import 1. All the pads/chords are identical so I import one and assign it to some strings. Then I import the 6 Melodies and pass them out.

Something that might help to avoid repeat file clutter is to use the 3 file export option for the first motif and then the melody export option for the other 5.

• The pedal point arp is very cool. I’m getting some pretty mesmerizing stuff by playing with variations just with that arp settings. Good stuff @azul3D_Apps !

• I gave the Arrangement feature a spin... it forces you to stick with the time signature (I'd like to mix up the time signature between sections) so I chose 3 3/4 sections is various keys.

I import the 3 parts into Staffpad and hand created a cello/french horn melody and added some Lumbeats "Mid East Drummer" in 3/4 of course. There are a few hiccups in the drum part (overlapping audio splices) and it ends abruptly but it shows the power of using Piano Motifs to create longer form works.

• There is an issue with the latest Piano Motifs release (v2.55.1). The multi-bar sustain option for chord/bass sustain Accomp Styles only works when using programmed chord progressions, it can cause a crash for random chord progressions. A fix for the issue is on the way. I apologize for this issue.

• edited January 2022

@azul3D_Apps said:
    There is an issue with the latest Piano Motifs release (v2.55.1). The multi-bar sustain option for chord/bass sustain Accomp Styles only works when using programmed chord progressions, it can cause a crash for random chord progressions. A fix for the issue is on the way. I apologize for this issue.

A new version (v2.56.1) is now available with a fix for this issue.

• @azul3D_Apps said:

@onerez said:
    Im sorry if this has been asked.. could not find anything on it. Will this ever be able to run on the latest M1 MacBook Air??? Love this app so much !!!!

Hi @onerez, I haven’t investigated what it will take to run the app on M1 Macs. I would only feel comfortable releasing after I test the app on an M1 Mac, which I currently don’t have.

I would like to try it very much on M1 Mac. If you flag it as universal app, I would be able to download and try!

• edited February 2022

@piccolo said:

@azul3D_Apps said:

@onerez said:

I would like to try it very much on M1 Mac. If you flag it as universal app, I would be able to download and try!

Thanks for the offer but I would need to be able to do the testing myself to ensure the quality of the app.

• Two new videos on the use of Piano Motifs for different styles of music:

The YouTube channel has different tutorials and demos for Piano Motifs.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCUiDIViA8mx3p2Ev6p1bsFw

• edited February 2022

A new version of Piano Motifs (v2.57) is available. This version has the following new features:

• Added motif looping capability to the Main Screen
    • Added new 3rd track modes: Chord Sustain with multi-bar sustain, and Drone with the ability to specify Drone tone and octave
    • Improved the Slow Arpeggio Accomp Style algorithm
    • Improved the Arpeggio Style algorithm to work better with programmed chord progressions
    • Improved the way section names and colors are assigned for Arrangements
    • When MIDI Out is ON and a chord is pressed in the Program Chord Progression Screen the chord will be played on the MIDI channel and MIDI destination defined for the accompaniment
    • Minor bug fixes and functionality improvements

Try the Slow Arpeggio accompaniment, it generates some nice tracks playing the melody and accompaniment on a piano instrument and the 3rd track on a warm/ethereal pad. You can also use the new Drone mode for the 3rd track for a different feel.

If you like Piano Motifs and all its new features, please consider leaving a review in the App Store.

For Piano Motifs tutorials and demos please check the following YouTube channel:

For examples of what Piano Motifs can generate you can go to:

https://soundcloud.com/azul-3d

Enjoy!

• Thanks very much @azul3D_Apps 👍
    Already used it to create the backing track for this https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/1049046#Comment_1049046

• @GeoTony said:
    Thanks very much @azul3D_Apps 👍
    Already used it to create the backing track for this https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/1049046#Comment_1049046

Expressive and moving sax improv, @GeoTony.

• A new YouTube video on how to easily generate a slow, relaxing Ambient track using Piano Motifs:

• A new version of Piano Motifs (v2.58) is now available. This new version has the following new features:

• New Chord & Arpeggio Accompaniment Style. This accompaniment will be a combination of a random arpeggio and a chord played on either the front or the back end of the bar. When this option is selected a popup screen will be displayed which will allow you to specify if you want the chord to be played on the front or the back end of the bar.
    • Fixed problem with some chord syncopated accompaniments when using multi chord bars in programmed progressions.
    • Changed name of User Arpeggio Accompaniment Style to Arpeggio Sequence.
    • Minor bug fixes and improvements.

Try the new Chord & Arpeggio Accompaniment Style it generates some lovely accompaniments.

Also, if you haven't tried the Arpeggio Seq Accompaniment Style (former User Arpeggio) try this out for fun:

• Motif in C minor 6/8
    • 145 bpm
    • Chord Progression: Cm(x4)-Gm(x4)-Bb(x4)-Fm(x4)
    • Arpeggio Seq:

• 3rd Track: Chord Sustain with MultiBar Sustain On

Play the accompaniment on some Staccato Strings, the melody on a Cello, and the 3rd Track on some Strings.

Enjoy!

• @azul3D_Apps said:
    A new version of Piano Motifs (v2.58) is now available. This new version has the following new features:

• New Chord & Arpeggio Accompaniment Style. This accompaniment will be a combination of a random arpeggio and a chord played on either the front or the back end of the bar. When this option is selected a popup screen will be displayed which will allow you to specify if you want the chord to be played on the front or the back end of the bar.
    • Fixed problem with some chord syncopated accompaniments when using multi chord bars in programmed progressions.
    • Changed name of User Arpeggio Accompaniment Style to Arpeggio Sequence.

Try the new Chord & Arpeggio Accompaniment Style it generates some lovely accompaniments.

Also, if you haven't tried the Arpeggio Seq Accompaniment Style (former User Arpeggio) try this out for fun:

• Motif in C minor 6/8
    • 145 bpm
    • Arpeggio Seq:

Play the accompaniment on some Staccato Strings, the melody on a Cello, and the 3rd Track on some Strings.

Enjoy!

Ahhh nice one ! I’ll leave others to try this and see what comes out… very clever @azul3D_Apps. (Just put it together in Nanostudio and imported the generated midi to 3 separate tracks) This is one very powerful app.

• I’m gonna use the chord and arp mode all the time. Great addition!

• @azul3D_Apps said:

• Motif in C minor 6/8
    • 145 bpm
    • Arpeggio Seq:

Enjoy!

• A new version of Piano Motifs (v2.59.3) is now available. This version has the following new features:

• Added new Chord Sequence Accompaniment Style. When you select this Accompaniment Style you will be able to determine on which beats of the accompaniment (at a 1/8 note resolution) a chord will be played or held, or if there is to be a rest for that beat.
    • Added new melody algorithms for randomly generated motifs.
    • Added new accompaniment preset for randomly generated motifs.
    • When auditioning an arrangement both the section name and the motif name will be displayed.

Try the new Chord Sequence Accompaniment Style. Combine it with the Multi Chord Bar function in the Program Chord Progression screen to easily generate some cool accompaniments.

To learn more about these features and any other Piano Motifs' feature you can consult the manual by pressing the Info button (i) on the top right. You can also check the following YouTube channel for tutorials and demos on how to use Piano Motifs:

Enjoy!

• @azul3D_Apps Wow, I haven’t visited in awhile so I’m blown away by the algorithmic brilliance you’ve added to this beauty. Congrats and thank-you!

• @RJB said:
    @azul3D_Apps Wow, I haven’t visited in awhile so I’m blown away by the algorithmic brilliance you’ve added to this beauty. Congrats and thank-you!

Thanks @RJB ☺️🙏

• @azul3D_Apps you've sure released A LOT of updates. <3

• edited March 2022

@audiblevideo said:
    @azul3D_Apps you've sure released A LOT of updates. <3

@audiblevideo, hopefully everybody is finding all these new features useful and enjoyable. Would love to see/listen to more of the creative ways in which people are using Piano Motifs.

• @azul3D_Apps said:
    A new version of Piano Motifs (v2.59.3) is now available. This version has the following new features:

• Added new Chord Sequence Accompaniment Style. When you select this Accompaniment Style you will be able to determine on which beats of the accompaniment (at a 1/8 note resolution) a chord will be played or held, or if there is to be a rest for that beat.
    • Added new melody algorithms for randomly generated motifs.
    • Added new accompaniment preset for randomly generated motifs.
    • When auditioning an arrangement both the section name and the motif name will be displayed.

Try the new Chord Sequence Accompaniment Style. Combine it with the Multi Chord Bar function in the Program Chord Progression screen to easily generate some cool accompaniments.

To learn more about these features and any other Piano Motifs' feature you can consult the manual by pressing the Info button (i) on the top right. You can also check the following YouTube channel for tutorials and demos on how to use Piano Motifs:

Enjoy!

Yowza, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the new chord sequence style. It works great to get a quick simple riff going and then layer on different arps and stuff. Excellent addition.