Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Piano Motifs by Fernando Morales

Comments

• Can you hear the drums, Fernando?

Can you add start/stop transport controls that are triggered from external MIDI controllers?

I hope this is an easy implementation request. If you can do it I can trigger start/stop from my MIDI keyboard and from AUM with a Mozaic script @wim has created. This will be very useful to avoid giving up screen real estate with I get to the recording phase of my projects and also help me avoid using the MIDI file transfer method when importing MIDI into LK or Atom 2.

Having a MIDI Master is almost always a problem with non-IAA and non-AUv3 apps but sometimes features like external MIDI clocking or Ableton Link make these issues more manageable. I have problems with LumBeats apps for years and now they are all syncable
    with Ableton Link in AUM so we eventually settled on something that made it easy to use these Drummers in AUM.

MIDI Clock support will probably help those that want to sync PM with Xequence 2 as well
    so it's should get you more users and some extra tips if you can pull it off.

• @McD said:
    Can you hear the drums, Fernando?

Can you add start/stop transport controls that are triggered from external MIDI controllers?

Unfortunately not with the current code base.

• @azul3D_Apps said:

@McD said:
    Can you hear the drums, Fernando?

Unfortunately not with the current code base.

OK... split screen when using Piano Motifs for DAW MIDI generation or MIDI file save/load
    workflows.

• A new version of Piano Motifs (v2.33) is available for download. This version has the following new features:

• Added a new MIDI export option that implements a third track for the MIDI file. This third track has a sustained chord per bar which is ideal for strings, choirs, or pads.
    • Added an indication in the main screen for when a motif has been generated with settings other than the default settings.
    • Fixed overlapping notes for some syncopated chord accompaniments.
    • Minor UI fixes and improvements

Please note that the third MIDI track works best with chord and arpeggio accompaniments. Bass accompaniments will result in single note sustain per bar in the track.

• @azul3D_Apps said:
    A new version of Piano Motifs (v2.33) is available for download. This version has the following new features:

• Added a new MIDI export option that implements a third track for the MIDI file. This third track has a sustained chord per bar which is ideal for strings, choirs, or pads.
    • Added an indication in the main screen for when a motif has been generated with settings other than the default settings.
    • Fixed overlapping notes for some syncopated chord accompaniments.
    • Minor UI fixes and improvements

Please note that the third MIDI track works best with chord and arpeggio accompaniments. Bass accompaniments will result in single note sustain per bar in the track.

Nice, you are killing it with those updates! Maybe think of something that you can add as IAP, I’m totally down with spending some more money on this fantastic app!

• Great App and nice responsive Dev! Is there anyway for me to import my saved sounds into Audioshare or into AUM? My apologies if this has already been requested. Keep up the great work and thank you, ED

• @azul3D_Apps Awesome update! Any chance we could get that 3rd midi channel out to send the basic chord structure using the midi out? I hate to ask because you’ve developed this thing into something so freaking brilliant, but that would be very useful for my Piano Motif Workflow. Love everything you’ve done the arrangement part is next level stuff. Cheers!

• edited May 2021

Any chance someone is working on a video for all these new features? @azul3D_Apps is doing a great job of adding features so fast - I'm sure I'm not the only one who's struggling to keep up

• @monch1962 said:
    Any chance someone is working on a video for all these new features? @azul3D_Apps is doing a great job of adding features so fast - I'm sure I'm not the only one who's struggling to keep up

+1. Your not the only one. A video would be the bees knees. Cheers, ED

• @monch1962 said:

I would, but I'm working on a different video right now. So you might have to wait a few weeks I'm afraid. Totally worth looking at though, so many great features.

• edited May 2021

Hi, could someone please explain the various share options? Whichever one I use I get one midi file in audioshare.

So:

Midi - is that all three parts?
    midi 2 files - is that supposed to be both parts in 2 files?
    Midi Melody - just the RH part
    Midi Accomp - just the LH part
    Midi 3 track - just a held chord or three tracks in one?

Thanks!

Also is there a way if you have a nice part to go back into settings to make it have more bars?

• @NimboStratus said:
    Hi, could someone please explain the various share options? Whichever one I use I get one midi file in audioshare.

So:

Thanks!

Also is there a way if you have a nice part to go back into settings to make it have more bars?

I think this the way Audioshare handles midi files exported from PM. Try exporting the midi files from PM to the Files app.

• @yowza said:

@NimboStratus said:

So:

Thanks!

I think this the way Audioshare handles midi files exported from PM. Try exporting the midi files from PM to the Files app.

Ah thanks!

• @ElektrikDiva said:
    Great App and nice responsive Dev! Is there anyway for me to import my saved sounds into Audioshare or into AUM? My apologies if this has already been requested. Keep up the great work and thank you, ED

@ElektrikDiva, you can use MIDI Out (enabled by an IAP in the Settings screen) to direct the MIDI to AUM. You can also export your motifs to MIDI and then import them in an app like Atom2 in AUM.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    @azul3D_Apps Awesome update! Any chance we could get that 3rd midi channel out to send the basic chord structure using the midi out? I hate to ask because you’ve developed this thing into something so freaking brilliant, but that would be very useful for my Piano Motif Workflow. Love everything you’ve done the arrangement part is next level stuff. Cheers!

@Poppadocrock, I will see what I can do about sending the 3rd track on a MIDI Out channel.

• edited May 2021

@NimboStratus said:

@NimboStratus,
    This might not be exactly what you're looking for, but you could use the lock function to generate a longer motif with the same chord progression and accompaniment as the one you have just generated. You do this by pressing "New", then pressing "Lock Prev" and then going into Settings and selecting the number of bars you want. After that you press "Play" to generate a new motif. Please note that the melody of the new motif will be a completely new melody. If you want to use this new melody with the older melody you should save the older motif first, then follow the above steps and then use the "Arrange" feature to stitch the 2 motifs together. Hope this helps.

• @NimboStratus said:

So:

Thanks!

@NimboStratus,

The share options are:
    MIDI: This was the original share option. It exports a MIDI file with both melody and accomp.
    MIDI - 2 Files: It exports 2 MIDI files. One contains the melody and another one the accomp.
    MIDI - Melody: One MIDI file with the melody only (RH)
    MIDI - Accomp: One MIDI file with the accomp only (LH)
    MIDI - 3 Track: This is the new share option. It exports a MIDI file with melody, accomp and a third track with a sustain chord per bar.

• Who asked for this third track? I'd like to buy them an App!

Sending out chords along with bass and melody is an insanely great concept.
    There are so many apps that accept chords and create rhythmic parts or arps or
    apply randomized filtering... so this will only generate more useful complexity.

Exporting the chords as MIDI is perfect for the Staffpad user that can ONLY use MIDI files
    or the pencil to add notes to a project. So, I'm pretty excited to see if staffed accepts these MIDI files without crashes.

When I get my first movie score assignment, I'll be sure Fernando Morales gets a mention in the credits for "music theoretician and compositional motif programmer" which is a new category and could earn an Academy Award TECH statue. But only if the movie doesn't totally suck... I'll my score for "Mangled Baby Ducks" which was about an early punk band modeled on the "Sex Pistols". The director want me to provide music that only used material I could find at the dump. I spent weeks collection trash and he lost funding and did a couple years in Folsom for check kiting and the score never really amounted to more than some notes about not being too pretty with the glass bottles I would blow through for flute sounds. I had to add extra spit like Jethro Tull (Ian Anderson) playing "Locomotive Breath".

• @azul3D_Apps said:

@ElektrikDiva said:
    Great App and nice responsive Dev! Is there anyway for me to import my saved sounds into Audioshare or into AUM? My apologies if this has already been requested. Keep up the great work and thank you, ED

@ElektrikDiva, you can use MIDI Out (enabled by an IAP in the Settings screen) to direct the MIDI to AUM. You can also export your motifs to MIDI and then import them in an app like Atom2 in AUM.

Thanks very much for your help! Cheers, ED

• Actually I've just bought the app on the 3rd track hype!

• @Keyb said:
    Actually I've just bought the app on the 3rd track hype!

It’s not really a track. It’s more of a 3rd message. But when it’s able to connect to another app in AUM real time that will be party time. I expect to see that fast... based upon the rate Fernando can deliver updates.

It’s going to be a “game changer” like the old days when we’d swap cartridges in the Atari. Good times... esp when the game being changed to was brand new like the day “Congo Bongo” arrived at the local Sears in Union City. I pee’d myself in anticipation so you can see this 3rd track will be sumpin’.

• I wish Congo Bongo was AUv3.

• edited May 2021

@Poppadocrock said:
    @azul3D_Apps Awesome update! Any chance we could get that 3rd midi channel out to send the basic chord structure using the midi out?

Yes, I double this motion! I would like to use this real time with AUM as a third stand alone track coming straight from PM. I would prefer not having to dissect it out of one file for all three tracks.

• I’m not sure if it’s allowed to double a double motion since powers of 2 can break most digital devices after a small mob weighs in... so, I will increment the poll to 3. 3 usually shifts the tide around here.

Apple makes most requests difficult to implement but developers seem to keep providing updates except for the genius that runs our forum. He lives to code but ships product at his leisure or when it’s deemed adequate.

• Coming soon!

• This will open a lot more opportunities to reduce the steps in a Piano Motifs to finished orchestration workflow in DAW's.

Now, we must start pestering for more features. I would like to be able to:
    Pick:
    1. Chord root (from any of the 12 notes)
    2. Chord type (major, minor, diminished, dominant 7th at least)
    3. Inversion (which really defines the bass chord tone but could be extended to the chord voice leading)
    4. silence.

Then we can push for longer progressions but 8 bars with arranging would get things moving.

Chords on beats 1 and three or even per quarter note would be very nice too. I haven't made a PM project win a while and I need to use my iPad for another purpose for a few weeks so I might try making something on my iPhone when the 3rd channel drops.

To really break the rules for chord progressions I still need to hack together MIDI file segments but with LK that's not a huge constraint. It's just a very complex workflow like most arranging style apps. If you want to make music that's pretty generic you can do so
    pretty easily but it you want to have the listener stop and think "What was that that just happened there?" because it's not the traditional scale based chord work, then we have to keep pushing for more and more control.

• edited June 2021

3rd channel ... can't wait!!

A future request is to be able to adjust semi-tones (moving up & down … F to F# to G for example) in both melody and accompaniment. (just like you have it setup with the octaves except now the Octaves function covers all semi-tones as well so you can do either) That way you could do some interesting modulations or juxtapositions between melody and accompaniment.

• edited June 2021

A new version of Piano Motifs (v2.34) is available. New in this version:

• Third MIDI Track with a sustained chord per bar is now available for MIDI Out. This track is ideal for strings, choirs, or pads.
    • Improved third MIDI track generation so that even when bass accompaniments are used, if there is a programmed chord progression, a chord will be generated in the third track.
    • add9 chords are now generated for scales other than major and minor scales.
    • Fixed incorrect chord timing on third MIDI track when motif is configured to have melody swing rhythm.
    • Fixed incorrect duration of silent bars in arrangements when motif is configured to have melody swing rhythm.

Please note that the third channel will have the same MIDI destination as the one selected for the accompaniment channel, but, of course, using a different MIDI channel.

• @azul3D_Apps said:

• Third MIDI Track with a sustained chord per bar is now available for MIDI Out. This track is ideal for strings, chords, or pads.
    • Improved third MIDI track generation so that even when bass accompaniments are used, if there is a programmed chord progression, a chord will be generated in the third track.
    • add9 chords are now generated for scales other than major and minor scales.
    • Fixed incorrect chord timing on third MIDI track when motif is configured to have melody swing rhythm.
    • Fixed incorrect duration of silent bars in arrangements when motif is configured to have melody swing rhythm.

Please note that the third channel will have the same MIDI destination as the one selected for the accompaniment channel, but, of course, using a different MIDI channel.

We love you @azul3D_Apps

• @azul3D_Apps said:

Great! Thank you!
    People, don’t forget to tip your bartender!