Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is there a cheaper version of Digitakt?

edited May 2020 in Creations

I need an audio interface for my computer to plug my iPad in. I also need a looper/sampler. Indeed, I can bought a Digitakt to do all of these, but it is a little bit of an overkill for my need (and my budget). Is there a piece of gear that can play both role (sampler/looper and audio interface) but in a range of price of 150-500? I dont need all the bells and whistles of the DT. I'm in Canada so, 500 CAD is approx 350 USD, sadly.

Comments

• Second hand? I have no idea how much they cost second hand though

• @FatPudding said:
    Second hand? I have no idea how much they cost second hand though

A lot! In Canada, they often are 900 in the used market.

• We could be more helpful if you could describe specially what you need from a sampler/looper more specifically first. Does it need to do advanced sample editing? Does it need advanced sequencing capabilities? Does it need onboard effect?

But as a rule of thumb, digitakt will almost assuredly not save you money unless you need it for what it’s really good at.

• @ohwell said:
    We could be more helpful if you could describe specially what you need from a sampler/looper more specifically first. Does it need to do advanced sample editing? Does it need advanced sequencing capabilities? Does it need onboard effect?

But as a rule of thumb, digitakt will almost assuredly not save you money unless you need it for what it’s really good at.

Same as the love of a good woman. To misquote Withnail: Free to those who can afford it...

• @ohwell said:
    We could be more helpful if you could describe specially what you need from a sampler/looper more specifically first.

Does it need to do advanced sample editing? No

Does it need advanced sequencing capabilities? No

Does it need onboard effect? No

Thank you!

• The next best thing to date is the Maschine MK3. I think I will go with that.

• Then don’t digitakt! Get a dedicated audio interface. Lots of affordable options will do great.

Then, if your main use case is real time looping (rather than record, chop/edit samples/sequence) there are tons of options starting quite cheap. Bunch of guitar pedals; boss rc-202; ehx; even maybe something in the Korg kaoss range.

Personally I’d seriously consider focusing on iOS or the computer for proper samplers that won’t break the bank. Most of us just need to find a workflow that we like and commit to it.

• You can nearly replace a Digitakt with Patterning 2

• edited May 2020

@DYMS said:
    You can nearly replace a Digitakt with Patterning 2

That’s the spirit.

Drambo too.

Digitakt is buying into a whole workflow for sampling, advanced step sequencing, processing. The 1-2 punch of its built in capabilities + overbridge probably make it the best thing out there if you want that exact workflow, its limitations work for you, and are ok with a steep learning curve. But what you said so far makes it sound like a very bad choice for your use case...

• Sample on iOS; buy a cheaper interface. No reason to sample on hardware anymore.

• edited May 2020

@Montreal_Music said:
    The next best thing to date is the Maschine MK3. I think I will go with that.

If you don’t need standalone hardware, and want a groovebox workflow, yeah. It’s a good option!

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Sample on iOS; buy a cheaper interface. No reason to sample on hardware anymore.

+1

• for the price, the MPC One is looking like it's going to be a no brainer if hardware is your huckleberry, however I echo
    the suggestions for Patterning regardless, and pair it with an ios looper of your choice

• Just use Drambo and get a behringer interface.

• @echoopera said:
    Just use Drambo and get a behringer interface.

+1

• ElasticDrums is perfect for digitakt alternative but it doesn’t support direct sampling .
    But I think all you need is an iOS looper

• @Korakios said:
    ElasticDrums is perfect for digitakt alternative but it doesn’t support direct sampling .

ElasticDrums is great, but the step by step probability and "P-Locking" of Patterning 2 is what brings it close to Digitakt for me.

• @DYMS said:

@Korakios said:
    ElasticDrums is perfect for digitakt alternative but it doesn’t support direct sampling .

ElasticDrums is great, but the step by step probability and "P-Locking" of Patterning 2 is what brings it close to Digitakt for me.

GR-16 is basically a Digitakt, and so is Drambo.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@DYMS said:

@Korakios said:

GR-16 is basically a Digitakt, and so is Drambo.

GR-16 or Drambo?

• GR-16 has virtually identical p-locking options. (It's kind of astonishing, actually.) You can send midi, import samples, and so on. Plus it has a wavetable synth.

Drambo seems to be able to do the same thing, but the workflow is not as closely related to the DT, though it offers far more.

• or you could run a elektron model samples if you want that fee along with an iOS looper, huge bang for buck

• edited May 2020

• i have a digitakt and love it. that said, Drambo is way cheaper and can do the trick. then, just get an interface like zoom u 24 and your good to go.

• edited May 2020

@ExAsperis99 said:
    GR-16 has virtually identical p-locking options. (It's kind of astonishing, actually.) You can send midi, import samples, and so on. Plus it has a wavetable synth.

Drambo seems to be able to do the same thing, but the workflow is not as closely related to the DT, though it offers far more.

I never really got along with GR-16, even though I very much respect the developer and understand that the app is amazingly well created. Maybe it's time to try it again... It just feels whenever I have questions I find it impossible to get answers from that mammoth thread :)

One thing is for sure though, there are a wealth of excellent options.

• @DYMS said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    GR-16 has virtually identical p-locking options. (It's kind of astonishing, actually.) You can send midi, import samples, and so on. Plus it has a wavetable synth.

I never really got along with GR-16, even though I very much respect the developer and understand that the app is amazingly well created. Maybe it's time to try it again... It just feels whenever I have questions I find it impossible to get answers from that mammoth thread :)

Just ask. I think it's worth spending some time to learn it if you want a groovebox-style workflow. It just has the right set of ingredients for my taste.

• @rs2000 said:

@DYMS said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Just ask. I think it's worth spending some time to learn it if you want a groovebox-style workflow. It just has the right set of ingredients for my taste.

Watching Dougs beginners video also got me going pretty fast.

• Model:Samples is super fast, super fun. Same Elektron workflow but mostly one-knob-per-feature. Yes it can't do everything the digitakt can, but it is an absolute blast to jam with. Also does USB audio in and out.

• Poly2 is another great Digitakt replacement: midi out, 8 part sampler, polyrhythmic, multi-out audio, all in AU.

• Thanks to all of you for a tons of greats suggestions.

Random toughts: the great ShockWave Synth is now 50%OFF on the AppStore. Trust me, it sounds very nice!

• @kobamoto said:
    or you could run a elektron model samples if you want that fee along with an iOS looper, huge bang for buck

Do you have an opinion on the elektron samples vs the kp3 at all? I’m in the same boat as OP with the same budget actually and want some hardware but can’t afford a mpc