Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

file management and saving is a mess in iOS

It's been about 3 months, and I'm slowly getting my head around the weird make-it-up-as-you-go-along world of iOS.

So, I've realised in AUM that my changes are not saved automatically, which I approve of. I can mess around with things and exit without saving, and the saved state will load next time. However you are not warned of this, so if you wanted to save when exiting but forgot, you're out of luck. Except you might not be because you can load the previous state if it's the first thing you do.

I use and really like Group the Loop, and use it in AUM. It's not AUv3 so won't save the loops with each AUM file, but I can save within GTL. So this morning I opened one of those files, messed around with it, didn't like what I'd done so hit reset, thinking I wouldn't save the changes. I exited and reloaded, and the loops were gone.

I've heard it argued that anything you do should be saved, by @brambos in some thread, like everything you write on a piece of paper is saved. This implied that 'saving as' etc was to complex foe some people. I'd say that I often design things, with a pencil, and I can rub things out with a rubber. If I'm using a pen I can scribble things out so I know I didn't like that option. I can put multiple options of ideas on 1 page, and evaluate them all. I can't easily do any of these things in many apps.

A clear idea of what I'm keeping and what I'm throwing away by closing or saving using any of the often irreversible and often ambiguous options that are presented in iOS apps seems impossible, other than by repeated trial and error steps for each app.

It was always clear when there was 'save' and 'save as' 'don't save'. Anyone with sufficient intelligence to use an iOS device can understand these things I would argue.