Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 3 - trick to make Abelton Link useful with Cubasis

Hi

Not sure if this was obvious to everyone but me ...

I've always had trouble with MIDI Clock I/O working between apps. Pretty sure I'm not alone. However Link seemed very usable.

I also like the Cubasis 2/3 environment but it only has a MIDI Clock out ( yuk) ... no Link. This means not being able to reliably sync ( or sync at all ) many apps out there. So I thought I'd just use those apps that plugged into Cubasis via AU3 and sync by virtue of that. This is fine , but I have some cool Link enabled apps which I would love to use in Cubasis... in sync!

Thus requests to Cubasis devs for Link support ... so far unfulfilled.

BUT ... I just discovered that if I add an AU3 app (ie synced ) which also supports Link to a Cubasis audio track, I can use the Link connection from that app to sync apps outside of Cubasis!

So for instance

1: I added EG Pulse to a Cubasis 3 AU 3 Audio track ... perfect as a time keeper! It runs in sync with Cubasis because of AU3. I turned on its Link connection.
2: Then I ran an app called Quantum outside of Cubasis ( it's a kick ass step sequencer ... not AU 3 though ) and activated Link in it. It connects to the Link network.
3: In a Cubasis MIDI track source I connected Quantum's MIDI to an instrument sound.
4: Now kick off playback in Cubasis ... EG Pulse plays ( you could mute it of course ) ...
5: Go to Quantum and engage play. Boom it syncs up with Pulse which is isync with Cubasis. Fiddle and record when ready!

This also works with WOTJA ... so I can have Wotja's MIDI generated content run into Cubasis and be recorded in sync with the grid there... or other instruments.

I think it will work with any Link app ... as many as you want.

In a Cubasis linear sequencer environment it's best if the Link app supports Link start/stop ... then they would all obey the Cubasis transport commands. Not many do though, so there's a bit of jumping between apps to start/stop things!

But its a Cubasis Link support retrofit I think?

One Day AU will make all this moot ... but might be useful to someone right now.

Comments

  • THAT’s what this forum is for!!!
    Well done @Itf3, I haven’t had my mind blown like this since the start of the Barkfilter thread.
    Time for some Wine..

  • How did you add EG pulse as AUv3 in audio track?

    @ltf3 said:
    Hi

    Not sure if this was obvious to everyone but me ...

    I've always had trouble with MIDI Clock I/O working between apps. Pretty sure I'm not alone. However Link seemed very usable.

    I also like the Cubasis 2/3 environment but it only has a MIDI Clock out ( yuk) ... no Link. This means not being able to reliably sync ( or sync at all ) many apps out there. So I thought I'd just use those apps that plugged into Cubasis via AU3 and sync by virtue of that. This is fine , but I have some cool Link enabled apps which I would love to use in Cubasis... in sync!

    Thus requests to Cubasis devs for Link support ... so far unfulfilled.

    BUT ... I just discovered that if I add an AU3 app (ie synced ) which also supports Link to a Cubasis audio track, I can use the Link connection from that app to sync apps outside of Cubasis!

    So for instance

    1: I added EG Pulse to a Cubasis 3 AU 3 Audio track ... perfect as a time keeper! It runs in sync with Cubasis because of AU3. I turned on its Link connection.
    2: Then I ran an app called Quantum outside of Cubasis ( it's a kick ass step sequencer ... not AU 3 though ) and activated Link in it. It connects to the Link network.
    3: In a Cubasis MIDI track source I connected Quantum's MIDI to an instrument sound.
    4: Now kick off playback in Cubasis ... EG Pulse plays ( you could mute it of course ) ...
    5: Go to Quantum and engage play. Boom it syncs up with Pulse which is isync with Cubasis. Fiddle and record when ready!

    This also works with WOTJA ... so I can have Wotja's MIDI generated content run into Cubasis and be recorded in sync with the grid there... or other instruments.

    I think it will work with any Link app ... as many as you want.

    In a Cubasis linear sequencer environment it's best if the Link app supports Link start/stop ... then they would all obey the Cubasis transport commands. Not many do though, so there's a bit of jumping between apps to start/stop things!

    But its a Cubasis Link support retrofit I think?

    One Day AU will make all this moot ... but might be useful to someone right now.

  • Would this work syncing to AUM? I'll now have to go and try it. Then one could record AUM jams in sync into Cubasis instead of having to make edits and move things on the time line in Cubasis after making the recording...potentially very useful..

  • @Tones4Christ said:
    How did you add EG pulse as AUv3 in audio track?

    Oops ... sorry I added it as a MIDI AU instrument. My bad.

    Sorry for the confusion

  • No worries; i just noticed though that EG pulse no longer has Ableton start stop option. What happened?

    How did you add EG pulse as AUv3 in audio track?

    @ltf3 said:
    Hi

    Not sure if this was obvious to everyone but me ...

    I've always had trouble with MIDI Clock I/O working between apps. Pretty sure I'm not alone. However Link seemed very usable.

    I also like the Cubasis 2/3 environment but it only has a MIDI Clock out ( yuk) ... no Link. This means not being able to reliably sync ( or sync at all ) many apps out there. So I thought I'd just use those apps that plugged into Cubasis via AU3 and sync by virtue of that. This is fine , but I have some cool Link enabled apps which I would love to use in Cubasis... in sync!

    Thus requests to Cubasis devs for Link support ... so far unfulfilled.

    BUT ... I just discovered that if I add an AU3 app (ie synced ) which also supports Link to a Cubasis audio track, I can use the Link connection from that app to sync apps outside of Cubasis!

    So for instance

    1: I added EG Pulse to a Cubasis 3 AU 3 Audio track ... perfect as a time keeper! It runs in sync with Cubasis because of AU3. I turned on its Link connection.
    2: Then I ran an app called Quantum outside of Cubasis ( it's a kick ass step sequencer ... not AU 3 though ) and activated Link in it. It connects to the Link network.
    3: In a Cubasis MIDI track source I connected Quantum's MIDI to an instrument sound.
    4: Now kick off playback in Cubasis ... EG Pulse plays ( you could mute it of course ) ...
    5: Go to Quantum and engage play. Boom it syncs up with Pulse which is isync with Cubasis. Fiddle and record when ready!

    This also works with WOTJA ... so I can have Wotja's MIDI generated content run into Cubasis and be recorded in sync with the grid there... or other instruments.

    I think it will work with any Link app ... as many as you want.

    In a Cubasis linear sequencer environment it's best if the Link app supports Link start/stop ... then they would all obey the Cubasis transport commands. Not many do though, so there's a bit of jumping between apps to start/stop things!

    But its a Cubasis Link support retrofit I think?

    One Day AU will make all this moot ... but might be useful to someone right now.

    @ltf3 said:

    @Tones4Christ said:
    How did you add EG pulse as AUv3 in audio track?

    Oops ... sorry I added it as a MIDI AU instrument. My bad.

    Sorry for the confusion

  • It’s weird it does show up in the stand alone version but not in Cubasis3.

Sign In or Register to comment.