Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Copperhead: Xynthesizr & Fugue Machine live jam (w/ Zeeon, Mersenne, Poly 2, Enso, GlitchCore, etc.)

2»

Comments

• I agree with the accolades, aplourde. A wonderful sonic adventure combining a host of refined skills. And it is improvised! For an oldster like me this stuff still looks pretty sci-fi and very glad of it. We are, indeed, fortunate to have these marvelous and affordable tools at our command. Still, it takes a musician and artist to give them a run for their money... which you certainly do. Thanks for sharing this.

• @Montreal_Music @LinearLineman

Thank you both!

@LinearLineman said:
    For an oldster like me this stuff still looks pretty sci-fi and very glad of it.

The thing is, you can actually play an instrument to express yourself! I regret not sticking with lessons as a child, but that inability, coupled with an interest in technology, has led me down some interesting paths.... Still I like to think when I retire I'll try picking up an instrument.

Oh, and sorry to burst any bubbles, but it's not really improvised. I might improvise when starting out, but by the time I break out the cameras to capture it, I've rehearsed what I'm doing. Since it's a live capture I might change the phrasing or vary some rhythmical elements, but even though I've worked out some strategies for playing Fugue Machine, trying to fully improvise would be a mess!

• Hmmm... so, it’s not improvised. Still it is an artistic performance. I can understand the lack of the physical sensorium when it’s just tapping a sheet of glass, but it is on the spectrum of expression. Hitting a key is not very expressive compared to blowing, bowing a note. But, yeah, you are so musical
    playing an instrument shouldn’t be that hard for you. I suggest you start now so that when you retire you can use your free time to play instead of learning from scratch. Of course piano would be the easiest and quickest.👍😉

• @aplourde said:

BTW, you should interview @YuriT, it was great reading your other interviews and I'd love to get the backstory to Xynthesizr and Shoom (and sure many others would as well!)

Thanks for the suggestion and happy to hear you've read some of my interviews! I think the thought and effort that goes into making these apps is fascinating.

@YuriT has been on my list to interview, I'm going to contact Yuri today!

• @aplourde or anyone else here, do you have any questions for @YuriT or about Xynthesizr? I'm working on an interview with him.

• @SynthTalk it’d be ace to see this one as AUv3 but I’m sure he knows that already 🤣

• @SynthTalk said:
    @aplourde or anyone else here, do you have any questions for @YuriT or about Xynthesizr? I'm working on an interview with him.

Excellent! Besides basic biographical info, the obvious questions of what led him to develop Xynthesizr; what were the design parameters that got him started versus what was added as the app came to be? E.g. did he have an interest in cellular automata and decide to make the app, or was he building a grid-based sequencer and found a way to provide mutation through the CA? His approach to custom scales and sending different "octaves" to different MIDI channels is unique and leads to very interesting results; was that a design goal or did it develop during development?

Also very curious about Shoom! It's sort of the inverse of Xynthesizr; Xynthesizr is a precise, grid-based sequencer with a simple, but very pleasing synth engine. Shoom is about finding the spaces between the notes with dense, rich timbres.... I'm assuming that was the initial impetus, but what else guided him?

Future plans? I'm sure a lot of us would be very excited to see what other ideas he has!

• edited June 2020

Tell him we love him
    Oh, + auv3 & song mode

• Thanks @aplourde , @Krupa , @despego
    Great questions! @aplourde I was also curious if cellular automata or the sequencer idea came first. Hopefully we will find out :-)