Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT // Any gamers in here? What are you playing? Is it Good?

Comments

• @zeroG said:
    I’ve been pretty addicted to a game called “diaries of a spaceport janitor” lately - very quirky and unusual with cool lo-fi graphics and audio.

Damn that looks cool I’m going to have to check that out. Looks like a good game to play while roasted

• Fifa - mostly but also
    Witcher 3
    All 3 Wolfenstein
    Spider-Man
    Batman Arkham knight

• @RubenDari said:

how does Horizon Zero Dawn compare to breath of the wild?

Apart from being open world and having a great focus on nature, they don’t have much in common.
    I loved BOTW a lot. One oft the best AAA games ever made imho. Horizon not so much. The story is fantastic no doubt, but the rest wasn’t my cup of tea. I found the fighting to be way to stressful and the menus and upgrade system much too clunky.

@Intrepolicious said:
    Used to be a big PUBG fan (PC) but all I really play anymore is No Man’s Sky, which has come such a long way. One of the more recent updates (and there have been many!), added the “ByteBeat device” which is basically an FM synth/sequencer that you can build/add to your base in the game. You can string up to 8 of these together for complex arrangements.

I’ve sent a feature request to Hello Games to please add midi out to the game, so while I’m playing, building, and composing on the ByteBeat device, I can sequence my external gear lol!

Anyone else here play No Man’s Sky?

Oh yeah, another No Mans Sky player. 👏🏼
    I enjoyed it a lot before I started Warframe again. I have one more thing to do in Warframe and then I‘ll get back to NMS. I try to get a friend of mine to play, since it just recently got crossplay support. 🙏🏼 Fantastic game for sure. Also soundtrack by 65daysofstatic, which is the best band there is.
    My Nickname for almost all games is Artvarg btw.

• @Artvarg said:

@RubenDari said:

how does Horizon Zero Dawn compare to breath of the wild?

Apart from being open world and having a great focus on nature, they don’t have much in common.
    I loved BOTW a lot. One oft the best AAA games ever made imho. Horizon not so much. The story is fantastic no doubt, but the rest wasn’t my cup of tea. I found the fighting to be way to stressful and the menus and upgrade system much too clunky.

@Intrepolicious said:
    Used to be a big PUBG fan (PC) but all I really play anymore is No Man’s Sky, which has come such a long way. One of the more recent updates (and there have been many!), added the “ByteBeat device” which is basically an FM synth/sequencer that you can build/add to your base in the game. You can string up to 8 of these together for complex arrangements.

I’ve sent a feature request to Hello Games to please add midi out to the game, so while I’m playing, building, and composing on the ByteBeat device, I can sequence my external gear lol!

Oh yeah, another No Mans Sky player. 👏🏼
    I enjoyed it a lot before I started Warframe again. I have one more thing to do in Warframe and then I‘ll get back to NMS. I try to get a friend of mine to play, since it just recently got crossplay support. 🙏🏼 Fantastic game for sure. Also soundtrack by 65daysofstatic, which is the best band there is.
    My Nickname for almost all games is Artvarg btw.

Great review... how about the witcher 3? does it compare to botw? in terms of gameplay and fun?

• @Intrepolicious said:

It looks quite interesting, i need to say.

But its Arcade ... and i cannot support this model.

I may play a game for many years and only one of those games primarily and that would sum up for immense amounts of money.

Not for me ...

• It's going to be really hard to compare BOTW to any other game to be honest, it's unlike anything I've played. It doesn't force you to DO anything in the game. They only barely explain what the basic plot is and you can ignore it completely and still have an amazing experience. It's all about being creative to explore the land and dealing with any encounters you have. I put over 200 hours into it and barely noticed, it was well worth the price of the switch just to play that game. Especially since they still resell for a good amount, which I did.

If you've ever played Journey Or Sky Children Of Light on iOS, those remind me a lot of the laidback explore as you will vibe of BOTW.

Witcher 3 was a great game too, though it's a little more RPG formulaic in its execution. I found the combat kind of difficult too, but that's just me (and I happened to love Horizon Zero Dawns frantic combat style). Definitely worth playing if you like darker, more traditional rpgs.

• Morphite is like the mobile No Mans Sky, single player though.

• @Intrepolicious said:

I played it loads when it came out and loved it despite the shredding it got, should give it some more time when I can as I just love the mood and visuals, oh and the mad creatures...

• @Tarekith said:
    It's going to be really hard to compare BOTW to any other game to be honest, it's unlike anything I've played. It doesn't force you to DO anything in the game. They only barely explain what the basic plot is and you can ignore it completely and still have an amazing experience. It's all about being creative to explore the land and dealing with any encounters you have. I put over 200 hours into it and barely noticed, it was well worth the price of the switch just to play that game. Especially since they still resell for a good amount, which I did.

If you've ever played Journey Or Sky Children Of Light on iOS, those remind me a lot of the laidback explore as you will vibe of BOTW.

Witcher 3 was a great game too, though it's a little more RPG formulaic in its execution. I found the combat kind of difficult too, but that's just me (and I happened to love Horizon Zero Dawns frantic combat style). Definitely worth playing if you like darker, more traditional rpgs.

thanks for the review/reply! I still remember your E-mu MP-7 . Big fan of yours... Ok so what would you recommend for someone who loves botw? (the reason I love it is exactly as you said, the freedom, I read audiobooks while I play cause the game kinda just lets you do your thing...so my verbal mind doesn't need to worry about what's happening and I can listen to books.... question 2 ... what are you playing right now?

• @tja said:

@Intrepolicious said:

I may play a game for many years and only one of those games primarily and that would sum up for immense amounts of money.

Not for me ...

Care to explain what you mean by “Arcade”?

You do understand that everything they’ve ever added to the game has been 100% free right? I mean, I paid the $60 for the game and have clocked over 1500 hours into it for not a penny more.

It’s not for everyone, but you did say it looks interesting, so I’d hope you’d give it another look. Me? I can’t get enough of it!

• After starting Rise of the Tom Raider well over a year ago and not playing it beyond the first 30-60 minutes, I just revisited it and am now thoroughly sucked in. Really enjoying it (and am about 50% complete).

Also will rotate between Tom Clancy's Division 2 and the HD remake of Star Wars Jedi Academy for short gaming sessions. Enjoying both of those a lot.

And then there's Marvel Puzzle Quest on the mobile. That gets most of my attention.

• Here’s a couple screenshots of the ByteBeat device in No Man’s Sky. Thought it was pretty relevant, being this is the AudioBus forums and all.

Another cool thing about this is that you can wire it up to a few different lighted base building parts and create sequenced light shows!!

https://i.imgur.com/PZLEXna.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ivYu7oI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QtxLgkq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kE6LoWg.jpg

• @RubenDari said:

thanks for the review/reply! I still remember your E-mu MP-7 . Big fan of yours... Ok so what would you recommend for someone who loves botw? (the reason I love it is exactly as you said, the freedom, I read audiobooks while I play cause the game kinda just lets you do your thing...so my verbal mind doesn't need to worry about what's happening and I can listen to books.... question 2 ... what are you playing right now?

For an open world game with enormous freedom you could go for Red Dead Redemption 2. It is not comparable to BOTW though. RDR2 goes for extreme realism and doesn’t have that artistic component. Riding through the prairie picking flowers here and there can be calming, but like all recent Rockstar games, things can get incredibly violent very fast.

For that calm, aesthetic vibe that BOTW gives, I would also recommend No Mans Sky. It has a pretty big focus on crafting and ressource management, which I found pretty tedious at times. But things certainly got better after I spend more time with it and all those quality-of-life-updates over the past years also helped a lot. The feeling of being lonely in a vast and alien universe was certainly stronger in the early days, since the focus switch more towards multiplayer and a lively galaxy, but it’s still there.

And since we’re on an iOS focused forum a few iOS recommendations (not BOTW related):

Legends of Runeterra - competitive card game, free to play, no need to spend any money

What the golf - Apple Arcade, crazy golf action with tons of nods towards other games

Patterns - Apple Arcade, relaxing puzzle game

Void Tyrant - F2P with fair iAPs, card based rougelite

Polytopia - F2P with fair iAPs, perfect mobilefriendly adaption of the 4X formular (Civilization)

• I have always gone through big phases & dips with gaming. I remember vividly that 1985-1990 period; had an NES and eventually played all the big classics. I remember Kung Fu, Pro Wrestling and Excitebike also being favorites. I remember getting Metroid for Christmas 1987 and the pages of maps me & my cousin would draw trying to figure it all out. Those black box era Nintendo games had some excellent music in them, sometimes I'll hear a melody in my head and wrack my brain thinking "What is that?!" and eventually I'll remember it's like the theme to Kid Icarus or something.

I got a Sega Genesis early on after it came out but music took over and I really didn't get another console until the first PlayStation (Tekken 3, Abe's Odyssey were my favs). Took another hiatus and eventuality bought a PS2 during the blow up of GTA3. Loved Vice City, San Andreas too.

Took another break until like 2012 when I finally got a PS3. In a way I'm so glad I got into these generations late because then all of the best games are out and the used game market allowed me to amass a big library of great games very cheaply.

I recently did the same with the PS4. I bought a PS4 Pro last year and like I did with the PS3 I have been able to get tons of great games without the expense. Only difference this time is I've pretty much stayed to digital purchases only. I much prefer physical media but when a year old AAA game is like $7 bucks with a PS Plus discount it's hard to pass up.

Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone, the Sleeping Dogs remaster and Red Dead 2 are some big favorites. I still am in the single player story in RDR2 because I take my time going to mission to mission. I may set out to do XYZ but 5 hours later I've just dry gulched campers and picked herbs for the compendium.

Which brings me to my problem with video games. Because of the time you can easily spend involved in them I usually start to feel guilty about not working on music, etc. I keep my gaming set-up in my studio room, not intentionally, just the best spot for it. I don't know if anyone else feels that way but I get totally put off even playing sometimes thinking "I should be making music instead".

• edited July 2020

I get bored too quickly with immersive games. XCom is the only game I played through to the end. Wow what a roller-coaster. When I'm in the mood, Michael Brough is a very interesting developer/game designer. If you like original, quirky games with ingenious mechanics that don't take tens of hours to play, worth a look. That said, Cyberpunk 2077 hits all the buttons, not that I'm going to invest in the hardware to play it, but aesthetically, oh yes.

• Slay the Spire came out for iOS a few weeks ago and I’m really enjoying it. It’s a deckbuilding roguelike mashup. Not deckbuilding like Magic The Gathering or Hearthstone, where you buy cards outside of the game and construct a deck before your match — those are Collectible Card Games. The core gameplay loop is constructing your deck by adding and removing cards through combat and randomized events.

There are four characters with MASSIVELY different play styles, and plenty of new content that gets unlocked as you play. I’ve put in more than 25 hours so far and completed less than 40% of the game. Highly recommended, and it’s a premium release with no IAPs.

• @tja said:

@Intrepolicious said:

Not for me ...

You might be thinking of Beyond a Steel Sky. No Man’s Sky is a PC/console game; it’s not available on iOS AFAIK.

• tjatja
    edited July 2020

@Tarekith said:
    I bought a switch for BOTW too and sold it as well once I beat it. Amazing game, though I was kinda bummed it came out the same year as Zero Dawn as I thought that was most excellent and BOTW stole a lot of the awards from that one.

I just finished TLOU2, which was awesome too but really brutal. Incredible story telling, but man there's some dark shit in that game.

Is a Nintendo Switch be best way to play this?
    Any other options?

Which Switch?
    A Wii? Which?
    Other options?

• @Intrepolicious said:

@tja said:

@Intrepolicious said:

Not for me ...

Care to explain what you mean by “Arcade”?

You do understand that everything they’ve ever added to the game has been 100% free right? I mean, I paid the $60 for the game and have clocked over 1500 hours into it for not a penny more.

It’s not for everyone, but you did say it looks interesting, so I’d hope you’d give it another look. Me? I can’t get enough of it!

@jrjulius explained that, yes i misunderstand and thought about the Apple Arcade game Beyond a Steel Sky. Sorry for that

• Just adding this:

I am a "Ultima IV" player, yes from Lord British.

THAT was a game!!!

Nothing came close so far.
    It does not need graphics at all.

• I've been actively trying to reduce my video gaming time to focus more on music and other things, but it always pulls me back in eventually. The only exception to the reduction is Beat Saber which is amazing and essentially my inconsistent workout routine, hence I need to play MORE.

Other than that, I am another No Man's Sky player and also Elder Scrolls Online (both giant time-sucks)! I also have a million and one unfinished games that occasionally lure me in such as Witcher 3, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, etc.

• edited July 2020

@RubenDari said:
    thanks for the review/reply! I still remember your E-mu MP-7 .

It was the XL-7 and PX-7, but yeah, those were the days. I miss the E-mu guys, they has some really awesome ideas that they never got to do. Imaging a groovebox based on the E4XT, sigh....

@RubenDari said:

question 2 ... what are you playing right now?

Right now, nothing. Just finished TLOU2 and loved it, but it was dark and intense and I needed some time away instead of playing it again right away. I'm really intrigued by Ghosts of Tsushima, but I think I might wait until PS5 comes out before I jump in. Not a lot of time for games during the summer, and I want to sell my PS4 now before the prices drop a LOT once the PS5 comes out.

• @tja said:

@Tarekith said:
    I bought a switch for BOTW too and sold it as well once I beat it. Amazing game, though I was kinda bummed it came out the same year as Zero Dawn as I thought that was most excellent and BOTW stole a lot of the awards from that one.

I just finished TLOU2, which was awesome too but really brutal. Incredible story telling, but man there's some dark shit in that game.

Any other options?

Which Switch?
    A Wii? Which?
    Other options?

Switch is the only way to play BOTW, and I would just get the standard one. PS4 is the only way to play TLOU2. I have a PS4 Slim and I saw a few reviews where it was almost impossible to see a difference with the 4k option you get with the PS4 Pro. So I vote slim.

• Just started Watch Dogs 2 while still playing sleeping dogs and dirt rally

• @Tarekith said:

@tja said:

@Tarekith said:

Any other options?

Which Switch?
    A Wii? Which?
    Other options?

Switch is the only way to play BOTW, and I would just get the standard one. PS4 is the only way to play TLOU2. I have a PS4 Slim and I saw a few reviews where it was almost impossible to see a difference with the 4k option you get with the PS4 Pro. So I vote slim.

Ive only played it on Wii u and I still love it.

• @Tarekith said:

@RubenDari said:
    thanks for the review/reply! I still remember your E-mu MP-7 .

It was the XL-7 and PX-7, but yeah, those were the days. I miss the E-mu guys, they has some really awesome ideas that they never got to do. Imaging a groovebox based on the E4XT, sigh....

@RubenDari said:

question 2 ... what are you playing right now?

Right now, nothing. Just finished TLOU2 and loved it, but it was dark and intense and I needed some time away instead of playing it again right away. I'm really intrigued by Ghosts of Tsushima, but I think I might wait until PS5 comes out before I jump in. Not a lot of time for games during the summer, and I want to sell my PS4 now before the prices drop a LOT once the PS5 comes out.

I had an MP-7 the XL-7 had the same OS .. sorry for getting them confused.

• Doh! I always forget about the Wii U.

• tjatja
    edited July 2020

Thanks, @Tarekith

So, better Wii U?

I have zero experience with Nintendo but always was curious because of Zelda.

I would buy one of them, but am totally unsure which :D

• I’ve been playing Reventure on my desktop and just learned that its available on iOS. I love this game, it is totally ridiculous. The goal is to find all the endings in a decently large pixel world. There are chests containing boost items all around the map (the first quest is to get the sword, but the quest giver is next to the shield, and along the way you find the shovel...) and each item opens up new areas of the map. This one scratches a few itches for me: nostalgia (with modern effects on the oldschool graphics), humour (the narrator and dialogue are both hilarious), puzzles (get the sword to drop the bridge then find the princess and slay the dragon), and collecting (the 100 endings).

Surprised to see no reviews on the app store, so I wanted to give it a shout-out here :)

Reventure https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/reventure/id1501817956

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    Since we’ve had more time on our hands lately. I need to finish God of War & Horizon Zero Dawn among others.

Really looking forward to Ghost of Tsushima in July.

I’ve been travelling and working more than ever all through the lockdown, so I haven’t gained any extra free time at all, in fact I’ve had less free time. I’m quite a way through Horizon Zero Dawn and really enjoying it. Also getting extremely distracted by Disgaea D2, man I love that series so much, you know...the one where you can level up to 9999! Got literally dozens of games in the cupboard to catch up with. Tbh the iPad has taken a back seat and my trusty PS3 & 4 are happy to have my full attention once again whenever I get a spare moment. It’s nice to be back in the Disgaea world again for sure. It’s nice to drop the iPad stuff and just zone out and relax with games again and not have to think much about what I’m doing.