Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Drambo for sequencing other synths?

Looking to use Drambo as a sequencer (and modulator if possible) for other synths within aum. Any experience/advice?
-thx

Comments

• That highly depends on what you want to do with it.
    Using it as a modulator and a sequencer with generative or probability features is certainly one of its very strong points.
    For traditional composition I personally prefer to do the opposite: Use NS2 as a sequencer and Drambo as a deep modular synth.

• I kept meaning to try this, and had a quick play, and it works... I'm still pretty hung up on NS2 as of late. When I try to think what advantages I'd have using Drambo driving stuff in AUM, sans "proper" daw, I'm coming up empty handed. I can't think of any specific advantages of using that setup, personally...

I'm gonna agree with @rs2000 here, it's a super powerful app I'm not poopoo'ing it, but using it as a plugin rather than the brains of the operation seems to be a better fit (functionally).

Unless you're not using stuff like Cubasis, Auria, NS2 etc, then just go ham wild, it works really well.

• edited May 2020

Exactly the tutorial I needed, if anyone else is looking to do the same.

• FWIW, I’m a big time AUM user so finally having a powerful AUv3 sequencer in AUM has made Drambo the perfect app for my workflow.

Inside AUM i can use Drambo as an instrument, an fx tool and the brains of my composition as a multichannel sequencer.

Drambo finally lets me seamlessly connect my iOS synths and hardware synths and have it all be routed and effected by the power that AUM delivers in this type of setup.

It’s my workflow dream.

• If you want piano roll sequencing then I wouldn't go with drambo.

I had been hungering for a fully featured x0x sequencer that allowed live exploration, and drambo has fit that really well. Like @echoopera , I have it living inside AUM doing all my sequencing. I've gone to the point of having one AUM project for many tracks, with drambo storing levels, fx sends and which synth/fx patches to open.

As someone who's been more into hardware noise-dance stuff, it fits my workflow really well like nothing else has.

• Is it possible to record cc from an external controller then play it back and send those cc to external hardware?

• @Jeezs said:
    Is it possible to record cc from an external controller then play it back and send those cc to external hardware?

No. There's a dirty hack to do that but you won't be able to edit the recorded data.

• @rs2000 said:

@Jeezs said:
    Is it possible to record cc from an external controller then play it back and send those cc to external hardware?

No. There's a dirty hack to do that but you won't be able to edit the recorded data.

Please can you briefly describe the hack, I’m interested to know how it works

• edited August 2020

@Jeezs said:

@rs2000 said:

@Jeezs said:

Hack:
    MIDI input > CC Modulator > Flexi sampler. Record the signal.
    Play it back: Flexi sampler > MIDI CC generator > MIDI output

Like said, you cannot edit the curve but being able to slice the automation curve in Flexi, there are other fun things you can do with it - like firing off arbitrary CC curves by simply hitting keyboard keys.

• @rs2000 said:

@Jeezs said:

@rs2000 said:

@Jeezs said:

Hack:
    MIDI input > CC Modulator > Flexi sampler. Record the signal.
    Play it back: Flexi sampler > MIDI CC generator > MIDI output

Like said, you cannot edit the curve but being able to slice the automation curve in Flexi, there are other fun things you can do with it - like firing off arbitrary CC curves by simply hitting keyboard keys.

🙏

• i really hope for dedicated cc support in Drambo.
    I use animoog a lot and its a perfect master for midi only as well. Would love just to hit record in Drambo. Play Animoog including CC and just record/playback/edit the performance.

• @tpj said:
    i really hope for dedicated cc support in Drambo.
    I use animoog a lot and its a perfect master for midi only as well. Would love just to hit record in Drambo. Play Animoog including CC and just record/playback/edit the performance.

Smooth automation curves have been discussed enough to make the hope of your vision to become reality not too unlikely.

• Hello guys!
    I’m kind of waiting for some cash influx to get Drambo to use as a sequencer for some drum machines (909 from audio-kit). Do you think I can map all kinds of things in Drambo to the 909 CC’s?

Can you recommend me a more specified app just for midi sequencing drums? ROZETA XoX doesn’t have enough bells and whistles, but is the closest I know only being for drums. I want to change decay volume heat blabla.
    How is Cykle for this? I shopped abound the forum but didn’t
    find enough about it. I’m on the phone so I like cykles design.

-Do you know a X/Y-pad ‘midi FX’ app that will let me record movement?

Cheers! <3

• I’m also interested in options for sending CC to other apps. So far I’ve been using Helium but finding it a bit fiddly to enter the CC values. Might try step bud

• edited June 2021

@NimboStratus and @_smund

Sending custom CCs has never been easier than how Drambo makes it. Beginning is as simple as adding a ‘midi CC gen’ module and typing in a CC#. There is no limit to how many CCs you can to create here.
    The next step is to ask yourself if you want to modulate the CC manually by hand with a knob or a slider, or if you want to modulate the CC with an lfo, a step sequencer, or even a random number generator.
    Say you want to modulate your CC manually with a slider. Just click on the ‘misc’ section, scroll down and add the ‘slider’. Connect the slider to the CC gen you added earlier, route that to your midi output and Bob’s your uncle.
    In fact, you can easily create macro controllers this way, by having 1 slider (for example) routed to 4 (or any number of) CC generators. That way the single slider is controlling 4 parameters of your target app. This is a fantastic way to extend the functionality of your favorite apps or hardware.

If you have any more questions, I’m happy to expand on this or give some examples.

• My use case is I want to send CC10,1 at bar x then CC10,2 at bar y etc. Or send CC10,1 or 2 etc at random intervals. Is that possible?

If so then perhaps I’ll dive into Drambo

• edited June 2021

@NimboStratus said:
    My use case is I want to send CC10,1 at bar x then CC10,2 at bar y etc. Or send CC10,1 or 2 etc at random intervals. Is that possible?

If so then perhaps I’ll dive into Drambo

Yes, there are several ways to do this.
    One would be to add a p-lock to the first step of each bars to trigger sending a certain CC, but you could also use a random number module, restrict it to a range of CC numbers and send different CC10 values either completely random or synced with 16th notes. All that can be built with modules, feel free to ask if you have difficulty doing it.

Yet another way would be to draw "automation" in the Graphic Modulator, it runs in sync with the pattern if you want and it has a grid with up to 32 divisions with optional snapping to X and/or Y positions.

• Can you explain what a p-lock is? Ta

• edited June 2021

@NimboStratus said:
    Can you explain what a p-lock is? Ta

Yes, you hold a sequencer step and tweak a knob. Drambo will remember which value you have set for that step, it can be anything like cutoff frequency or a change in CC number value which will can be sent to the MIDI port of your choice, or to an AUv3 plugin/instrument.

• Ok, cool! Ta

• edited June 2021

@NimboStratus
    Here's an example for the use case you described to me. I send CC10, 1 on a specific step, and then on other steps I send CC10, 2. In my case, CC10 is mapped to vco octave for DRC synth.
    Furthermore, Drambo is sequencing the synth as well, and providing breakbeats.
    The little red dots in the sequencer represent p-locks, where I told the knob to output a specific CC value.

• Time to go a read the drambo manual

• edited June 2021

Lovely guys! And Bob’s my uncle!
    Does Mr.Drambo have 32 step possibility for sequencing drum machine patterns? In addition to the mentioned possibility to draw program changes in 32 step format

• edited June 2021

@_smund said:
    Lovely guys! And Bob’s my uncle!
    Does Mr.Drambo have 32 step possibility for sequencing drum machine patterns? In addition to the mentioned possibility to draw program changes in 32 step format

My friend, Drambo has up to 256 step patterns (at 4 steps per beat) to sequence drums B)
    Max would be 320 steps at 5 steps per beat though, if you wanna go there ;)

edit: and yes, that automation trick works, but Drambo doesn't have a program change midi module. What you could do is output a CC, and map that to program change in your 909 app (if it supports midi learn like that). Or just use an app like mFXconvert to convert Drambo's CC message to your desired PC message.

• edited June 2021

@_smund said:
    -Do you know a X/Y-pad ‘midi FX’ app that will let me record movement?

Cheers! <3

You may find this interesting. I am recording the movement from an XY pad into a sampler. This sampler is set to record on 'pattern' so it will be synced to the beginning and end of pattern, for perfect loops. The sampler is set to play on 'transport' and is set to loop. This means that when transport is on, automation playback begins. The automation in my example is quite long, so you can see it can be synced up for a whole song, or part of a song.

Anyway, the automation gets recorded, and then that automation gets output as CC to any target destination, in this case, the cutoff + resonance in DRC (mapped to CC 15 and CC 9).

I don't think there are many other AUv3 that'll let you record XY automation and output as CC. If you're interested I can send you the patch.

Automation playback begins at 1:02, before that the automation was being recorded.

• edited June 2021

Danke Shön! But sir, I can has more than 4 steps in a beat right? Can I choose 8 as an example? I’m signing up aswell if that’s possible. Just making sure as thats whats up in the 909 with 32 steps, to get some flimflams.
    . One gets used to limitations here and there. Can we play faster than light FTL from Drambo also?

• edited June 2021

@_smund said:
    Danke Shön! But sir, I can has more than 4 steps in a beat right? Can I choose 8 as an example? Just making sure as thats whats up in the 909 with 32 steps, to get some flimflams.
    I’m signing up aswell if that’s possible. One gets used to limitations here and there. Can we play faster than light FTL from Drambo also?

No, for now Drambo can have up to 5 steps a beat. However, there are specific retrigger / flam modules that allow you to subdivide the beats so much that you can bring your drums into audio rate. There is also a clock multiplier/divider which allows you to multiply 4 steps per beat up to 8, 16 or more.

• So is the step sequencer like the atom piano roll?

• @NimboStratus said:
    So is the step sequencer like the atom piano roll?

Step sequencers and piano rolls are nothing alike. The only thing they have in common is the general representation of subdivisions of a beat represented as a grid.

Here’s Drambo

Here’s atom 2

• Lots of solutions to all workarounds mentioned coming in the next big update.