Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Blank

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• edited January 2017
  • "I do have a foam wind shield which helps... a little, but it's not great and I can't find one of those furry windshields that will fit."

Anything furry will do. Generations of guerrilla film makers have used fluffy/hiking socks.

You haven't really said what kind of recording you want to do. Are you recording distant sounds, the stuff around you? The mikes recommended on that page are for recording stuff at a distance. If you want to record ambient sound you need a completely different kind of mike. Do you mind if it's obvious that you're recording, or do you need something discrete. Mikes are very specialized technology. They excel at a single type of recording and suck at everything else.

The problem incidentally (for your purposes) with that zoom is that it's designed to pick up local sound. Which is great if you're recording interviews, not so great if you need to handle it.

If you have an iPhone, my advice would be to use that. You can get adapters pretty cheaply.

• edited March 2014

There are tones on YT video how to make your own fluffy friend from long hair fake fur. It definitely works best.

• I just ordered a Rode iXY from my local Guitar Center using an online ad for $120 (Ritz Camera) as a price match. They normally go for $150 or more, but I found out it also works on lightning port devices with the Apple 30 pin to lightning adapter. I have had some really good experiences with Rode mics, so maybe you could check out the specs to see if it is along the lines of what you need.

• edited January 2017
  • What is your budget?

• If on a tight budget, an iPhone in a stocking would accomplish the goal, those mics are pretty sensitive, just ask your local hacker :-o... :-)

• I have the predecessor to the Fostex AR101 and I like it. Comes with foam mic covers that help a bit with wind noise, good stereo separation, input and output levels and I especially like the handle mechanism that lets you mount horizontally for stereo video and/or for attaching to a tripod. Only thing that's a pain is that you have to go into airplane mode to avoid an interference buzz from the phone, but I believe that's pretty standard for phone mount mice. ~$150 on amazon.

• edited January 2017