Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Drambo: Rhodes physical model without samples

13»

Comments

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:
    Is it just me, or does this sustain like an organ when you hold down the keys?

You're right. But the controls to change that are exposed. Look for the A-D-S-R sliders...
    drop the S(ustain) slider down to zero and it will sound more like a Kalimba.
    Slide it up just a bit and the sound will fade rapidly. More and it will hold like an organ key.
    The current default S is about 1/2 way up. You can save your version. I also did some tweaking
    of the Phaser settings slowing the Rate and Dropping the Depth of the effect and changing the mix.
    I also opened the instrument and added a Reverb effect that's visible. Just a touch made it more
    acoustic to my ear. @rs2000 probably prefers saving all reverbs to the master mix and using the best algorhythm available for such an important physical characteristic.

Even a downloaded Drambo project (instrument) can be adjusted to your tastes.

• Excellent work man

• @McD said:

@TheOriginalPaulB said:
    Is it just me, or does this sustain like an organ when you hold down the keys?

You're right. But the controls to change that are exposed. Look for the A-D-S-R sliders...
    drop the S(ustain) slider down to zero and it will sound more like a Kalimba.
    Slide it up just a bit and the sound will fade rapidly. More and it will hold like an organ key.
    The current default S is about 1/2 way up. You can save your version. I also did some tweaking
    of the Phaser settings slowing the Rate and Dropping the Depth of the effect and changing the mix.
    I also opened the instrument and added a Reverb effect that's visible. Just a touch made it more
    acoustic to my ear. @rs2000 probably prefers saving all reverbs to the master mix and using the best algorhythm available for such an important physical characteristic.

Even a downloaded Drambo project (instrument) can be adjusted to your tastes.

Yeah, I know that. A Rhodes doesn’t have a sustain phase in its envelope, it’s an AD envelope with a very short attack. Decay equates to release, which starts fading as soon as the attack ends. It’s shorter if you lift off the keys and longer if you press the sustain pedal. ADSR won’t recreate that.

• sounds great!

• @Telstar5, @reasOne, @Thomas
    Thank you guys! Hope you'll enjoy it for a while.

@TheOriginalPaulB, @McD, @supadom
    As for the sustain, I'll get back to the patch soon, do some edits and upload an update.
    In fact it's a leftover from editing and you're totally right, a real Rhodes is decaying in various regards 😉
    Do you have any other suggestions?

I'll be happy to take suggestions about how to further improve on the sound.
    You don't have to be a modular expert, a verbal description or sound examples can help just as much.

• @McD said:
    I got it and in loads so easily... but I still can't figure out how to save a version with small changes. I type
    "save as" in a lot of directories and get now where. It's always something...

I made a little track using it mixed with a touch of flute and sharing lead time with the amazing B-3X organ. It holds it's ground.

Wow, lovely!
    I'm surprised how well it fits into your arrangement sonically.
    It almost sounds like a new instrument that only reminds of a Rhodes but in a pleasant way.
    An exciting experience for me.

Thank you very much for posting it, highly appreciated!! 👍🏼🤝👏

• @rs2000 said:
    @Telstar5, @reasOne, @Thomas
    Thank you guys! Hope you'll enjoy it for a while.

@TheOriginalPaulB, @McD, @supadom
    As for the sustain, I'll get back to the patch soon, do some edits and upload an update.
    In fact it's a leftover from editing and you're totally right, a real Rhodes is decaying in various regards 😉
    Do you have any other suggestions?

I'll be happy to take suggestions about how to further improve on the sound.
    You don't have to be a modular expert, a verbal description or sound examples can help just as much.

Apart from the envelope, it sounds great.

• @TheOriginalPaulB

Actually, you can produce a sustain effect with ADSR. In this example, the Amp has a long decay to zero when the Gate is held, shorter Release when the Gate is dropped. The Oscillator is just a test source. The rest of the logic implements the sustain pedal. I have no pedal, so I'm using the Mod Wheel, with any non-zero value indicating Sustain. The Counter counts Gates and only resets when Gate and Sustain are both zero. The And passes Sustain only when the Counter is non-zero, i.e. after a Gate has occurred. That result is Ored with the Gate to trigger the envelope. If you don't use the pedal, the Gate works in the normal way. If you hold the pedal before, or while, striking notes, they'll experience the long decay until the pedal is released. The counter and logic are essential to prevent the pedal from triggering notes by itself.

• McDMcD
    edited April 2020

@rs2000 said:
    It almost sounds like a new instrument that only reminds of a Rhodes but in a pleasant way.
    An exciting experience for me.

I layered it with a great flute from Roli's Noise and almost did use it here but it's so useful and proves the value of Drambo in lieu of the expensive Sample-based products. Has anyone posted thoughts about scaling many instances of Drambo? Is 5 about the limit? I'm might try that. Maybe find several "Physical Modeled Instruments" (orchestra, solo strings, Rhodes, etc). Then posting the demo here is relevant.

How many Drambo Patchstorage downloads fit this use case?

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:
    Yeah, I know that. A Rhodes doesn’t have a sustain phase in its envelope, it’s an AD envelope with a very short attack. Decay equates to release, which starts fading as soon as the attack ends. It’s shorter if you lift off the keys and longer if you press the sustain pedal. ADSR won’t recreate that.

I was surprised by the way Decay changes the "instrument" here. But I do agree with you that with large sustains it sound like an organ... I prefer just a touch to maintain the imitation illusion.

• I tried the Drambo stress test in AUM and 5 Drambo instruments was my magic number.

• @McD said:
    I tried the Drambo stress test in AUM and 5 Drambo instruments was my magic number.

The load that Drambo puts on your CPU is highly dependent on your patches, you can have a lot of instances when using "cost-effective" modules.

• @rs2000 said:
    The load that Drambo puts on your CPU is highly dependent on your patches, you can have a lot of instances when using "cost-effective" modules.

OK. What's your record so far in AUM before one of them crashes. I hit 5 and stopped. I could have considered trying other patches but I was going for sonic variety and I still have a fairly small number of patches to choose from that just imitate instruments and don't start acting like GrooveBoxes or perform FX functions.

This is another reason why patches should be ID'ed by functions. *drinstrument, *drfx, *drrack, *.drproject or something else obvious. Nit just the fine print in the app description.

I think it's wise to complain before the answer becomes "It's always been that way."
    I'm patient but like to wave this flag because the benefits are huge. The number of files on patch storage will grow to be massive and people will stop looking.

• @McD said:

@rs2000 said:

OK. What's your record so far in AUM before one of them crashes. I hit 5 and stopped. I could have considered trying other patches but I was going for sonic variety and I still have a fairly small number of patches to choose from that just imitate instruments and don't start acting like GrooveBoxes or perform FX functions.

Interesting test that I should have done as a beta monkey.
    In AUM with a buffer setting of 256 running on an iPad 6, I can add 19 instances of Drambo when using the simplest patch possible: A sinewave oscillator.
    Adding the 20th instance makes AUM (or rather the cpu) freak out.
    Haven't tried in NS2 yet.

This is another reason why patches should be ID'ed by functions. *drinstrument, *drfx, *drrack, *.drproject or something else obvious. Nit just the fine print in the app description.

I think it's wise to complain before the answer becomes "It's always been that way."
    I'm patient but like to wave this flag because the benefits are huge. The number of files on patch storage will grow to be massive and people will stop looking.

I haven't got tired yet suggesting to upload everything as projects, not only to make import easier (that will be fixed very soon) but also to showcase the creation, e.g. on how to use it for example.
    Different file extensions indicating the functional "ID" (is that what you mean?) will only help people so much: In module presets, there are too many to sensibly add this many file extensions and even more important, you cannot categorize every patch into being purely an instrument, an effect, a full project etc so it would likely be less helpful than the category and tags on patchstorage.
    When adding a patch on patchstorage, I really do care about setting the categories and adding custom tags as descriptive as possible.

• McDMcD
    edited April 2020

@rs2000 said:
    In AUM with a buffer setting of 256 running on an iPad 6, I can add 19 instances of Drambo when using the simplest patch possible: A sinewave oscillator.

I wonder what that might sound like. But I can see the range goes from 5 to 19.

Haven't tried in NS2 yet.

I'll bet the DAW doesn't matter. I think its the 340MB shared RAM gets exceeded and the AUv3 is halted to protect the DAW. But worth comparing. I don't know NS2 but this would help me learn a lot of steps.

I haven't got tired yet suggesting to upload everything as projects.

Number 1 answer. Projects work beautifully and learning the Rack and Instrument details will come with time. If I do get an instrument or rack loaded properly which has happened I should immediately save it as a project and just keep making a good library of projects until I learn a lot more and can see better ways to avoid frustration and putting things in useless folders due to ignorance,

OK... I'll try the NS2 scaling and focus on projects as the essential storage format for a while. I loved tweaking your amazing instruments and open them to try and see how you built them. The Rhodes offers a lot of opportunities to learn a wealth of models when you open it.

Is there one place where each module is covered for newbies? The manual doesn't have that level of reference material. But someone must be starting to detail each of the module types I'd bet in some medium.

• @rs2000 said:

@echoopera said:
    @rs2000 This patch sounds great! Can't wait to give it a wurl. :)

Thank you!
    I'm super-curious how you'll use it in your music, should you choose to do so.
    If there's a certain change in sonic character you'd prefer it to sound like, feel free to suggest and I'll see what I can do.

My entry for the 1st Drambo Music Contest on the Drambo Facebook group. Rule was a 3 minute track only using Drambo in stand alone. I used your Rhodes in the track 👊🏼™️

• @echoopera said:

@rs2000 said:

@echoopera said:
    @rs2000 This patch sounds great! Can't wait to give it a wurl. :)

Thank you!
    I'm super-curious how you'll use it in your music, should you choose to do so.
    If there's a certain change in sonic character you'd prefer it to sound like, feel free to suggest and I'll see what I can do.

My entry for the 1st Drambo Music Contest on the Drambo Facebook group. Rule was a 3 minute track only using Drambo in stand alone. I used your Rhodes in the track 👊🏼™️

That's wonderful!
    Thank you for doing this 😇👍🏼🎶🕺🏻

• @McD said:
    Is there one place where each module is covered for newbies? The manual doesn't have that level of reference material. But someone must be starting to detail each of the module types I'd bet in some medium.

Looking through the Drambo forum I discovered a thread that shows that every module has a help page to describe it's purpose and basic functions. The help pages are almost complete for the whole set.

• edited April 2020

Sorry everyone, I seem to be slow on the uptake here.

I was able to download @rs2000 's Rhodes project from Patchstorage with Safari, then open from inside Drambo.

However, I can't figure out how to save the Rhodes preset itself so that I can reuse it in my own projects. Also, I can't figure out how to create a Drambo folder in Files at the same location where other apps have folders - seems like I'm stuck in the Documents folder.

A little help?

• edited April 2020

@GovernorSilver said:

I was able to download @rs2000 's Rhodes project from Patchstorage with Safari, then open from inside Drambo.

However, I can't figure out how to save the Rhodes preset itself so that I can reuse it in my own projects. Also, I can't figure out how to create a Drambo folder in Files at the same location where other apps have folders - seems like I'm stuck in the Documents folder.

A little help?

Tap on the rack header (on the text showing "RHODES4 RS2000") and choose "Presets", then "Save".

Another way to use it is to tap and hold on the rack header until the rack turns green, then lift your finger and tap "Copy".
    Create a new or open an existing project and on the destination track, hit (+) and "Paste".

• @GovernorSilver And, yes, you are stuck in Drambo's private Documents folder. It doesn't share a folder with Files; this relates to some conflict with AUv3. It does share with iCloud Drive, if you have enabled it. But you can export objects to anywhere Files can see, including other cloud servers. And you can import them back to Drambo.

• @rs2000 said:

@GovernorSilver said:

A little help?

Tap on the rack header (on the text showing "RHODES4 RS2000") and choose "Presets", then "Save".

Another way to use it is to tap and hold on the rack header until the rack turns green, then lift your finger and tap "Copy".
    Create a new or open an existing project and on the destination track, hit (+) and "Paste".

Thanks! That did the trick!

Would you happen to know how to save my Drambo project onto my local iPad? It's defaulting to iCloud and I'd rather have it save to local iPad.

• edited May 2020

@GovernorSilver said:

@rs2000 said:

@GovernorSilver said:

A little help?

Would you happen to know how to save my Drambo project onto my local iPad? It's defaulting to iCloud and I'd rather have it save to local iPad.

I don't use iCloud and I have all my projects locally, private to Drambo.
    Exporting has to be done project by project (or preset by preset) but I believe that some day, a backup function will be available.
    I've suggested a WebDAV drive so Drambo becomes a file server in your local network just like in Nanostudio 2 or many other Apple-style apps and @giku_beepstreet liked the idea.

• @GovernorSilver said:

@rs2000 said:

@GovernorSilver said:

A little help?

I think you can select either Documents or iCloud at the top of the Save As and Open menus. Of course, Save puts the file back where it came from. Also, in the iPad Settings, you can tap your name at the top, select iCloud, and turn off Drambo as a user of iCloud Drive.

• @uncledave said:

I think you can select either Documents or iCloud at the top of the Save As and Open menus. Of course, Save puts the file back where it came from. Also, in the iPad Settings, you can tap your name at the top, select iCloud, and turn off Drambo as a user of iCloud Drive.

Thanks! I think I'm starting to get a feel for navigating my iPad with the Files app.

I turned off Drambo as an iCloud user and added the Documents folder to my Favorites to make it easier to find. For some reason it does not show up under "On My iPad" unless I search for it. Hopefully these changes will make it easier to manage files between Drambo and other apps.

• @GovernorSilver said:

@uncledave said:

Thanks! I think I'm starting to get a feel for navigating my iPad with the Files app.

I turned off Drambo as an iCloud user and added the Documents folder to my Favorites to make it easier to find. For some reason it does not show up under "On My iPad" unless I search for it. Hopefully these changes will make it easier to manage files between Drambo and other apps.

Good. But you shouldn't get your hopes up. You may not be seeing what you think you're seeing. I believe that Files can access only the folders shared with it by the apps listed "On My iPad". And it can access the apps that report themselves as file servers in the sidebar; some of them may be local apps, but they're acting as file servers. Files search can find folders and files, but you cannot tell where they are. There's no "Up" button to go to the parent folder. So, I believe that exporting items from Drambo is the only way to manage them outside the app. Good luck with your efforts.

• @uncledave said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@uncledave said:

Good. But you shouldn't get your hopes up. You may not be seeing what you think you're seeing. I believe that Files can access only the folders shared with it by the apps listed "On My iPad". And it can access the apps that report themselves as file servers in the sidebar; some of them may be local apps, but they're acting as file servers. Files search can find folders and files, but you cannot tell where they are. There's no "Up" button to go to the parent folder. So, I believe that exporting items from Drambo is the only way to manage them outside the app. Good luck with your efforts.

Yeah, that's why I added Documents to my Favorites in Files - lack of access to parent folder being one of several reasons. I conceded that Drambo wants to save to Documents if iCloud is cut off, so I'll work with that.