Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Songs From A Silent Place - new iOS-only album

edited May 2020 in Creations

This album was created and mixed entirely on the iPad, most of the songs were composed and arranged in NS2, and then the stems were exported to Auria where I did all the vocal tracking and final mixing. One song was composed in GarageBand instead (Living In A Silent Time) and the last song was composed and performed by @Kitusai and I just added vocals.

I'm very grateful to this forum which has given me a platform to host the Song Of The Month Club, which in turn has pushed me to produce a complete song, every month, for the past 5 and a half years. Without that I doubt I would be able to keep the motivation up to do this so consistently.

The monthly deadline from the SOTMC forces me to find little fragments of time in the margins of the day to tinker with my songs: try a bass line here, or a chord progression there, a vocal melody idea etc... And these little fragments add up to a few hours every week, which in turn become hundreds of hours over the course of a year, and little by little I've managed to write over a hundred songs, and have settled into the rhythm of producing an album every year.

So I'm really grateful to the forum, and especially to anyone who has ever taken part in the SOTMC, because without that I simply would never have found the motivation to do this.

The sound of my music is dark and dreamy, somewhere between Shoegaze and The Doors, but with synths rather than guitars. I do a lot of my own sound design, and most of these songs feature my own synth patches and drum kits.

This is the Bandcamp release, I will update with the Spotify and iTunes details once they become available in a few weeks.

So with that said, thank you to anyone who takes the time to listen :)

https://richardyot.hearnow.com/songs-from-a-silent-place

https://richardyot.bandcamp.com/album/songs-from-a-silent-place

Comments

• PS - can anyone tell me how to embed the Bandcamp player? @Michael maybe? Thanks!

• gonna go listen now while i work away....

• @Halftone said:
    gonna go listen now while i work away....

I'm actually listening to your latest as I work...

(PS do you know how to embed that BandCamp player?)

• @richardyot congrats!

Doesn't the embed link on the page work?

• @Jocphone said:
    @richardyot congrats!

It doesn't seem to, the embed link is an iFrame and I don't think the forum can parse it.

• @richardyot said:

@Jocphone said:
    @richardyot congrats!

It doesn't seem to, the embed link is an iFrame and I don't think the forum can parse it.

Don't know if something has changed. Was ages ago that I did it and can't remember what I used.

• @Jocphone said:

@richardyot said:

@Jocphone said:
    @richardyot congrats!

Don't know if something has changed. Was ages ago that I did it and can't remember what I used.

I figured it out - you just need to paste the raw link, and not the embed code. I was overcomplicating things.

• edited April 2020

@Halftone said:
    testing to see if this works for you @richardyot

it worked. so https://yourartistname.bandcamp.com/album/albumtitle

Yup - thanks! What was confusing me was that it doesn't show up when you preview a post, you have to actually post.

• all clear now! your album is reminding me of some bands I used to listen to in the early 90's, I can't quite place my finger on it. I wish I could sing as good as you!

• @Halftone said:
    all clear now! your album is reminding me of some bands I used to listen to in the early 90's, I can't quite place my finger on it. I wish I could sing as good as you!

Thanks! I really don't think I sound like any specific band (at least I really hope not), so it's probably just the general vibe, maybe Portishead mashed up with Slowdive kinda thing.

• @richardyot said:

@Halftone said:
    all clear now! your album is reminding me of some bands I used to listen to in the early 90's, I can't quite place my finger on it. I wish I could sing as good as you!

Thanks! I really don't think I sound like any specific band (at least I really hope not), so it's probably just the general vibe, maybe Portishead mashed up with Slowdive kinda thing.

yeah, a little bit of 90's shoegaze vibe in there

• Impressively consistently persistent. And so heartfelt/wistful/romantic. Many more songs about love and girls and than cars and beer :) Do you share all of these with the Missus?

Seriously, am envious of your discipline, but also pleased to see you enjoying the reward for the work...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Impressively consistently persistent. And so heartfelt/wistful/romantic. Many more songs about love and girls and than cars and beer :) Do you share all of these with the Missus?

Seriously, am envious of your discipline, but also pleased to see you enjoying the reward for the work...

Hey thanks :) I'll make an effort to sing about cars and beer next time 🤘

The missus has zero interest, and on the few occasions she hears me recording a vocal in my office/den she always mercilessly takes the piss about my dreary songs 🙀

We're very happily married but she takes the view that my music is nothing more than an annoyingly expensive hobby and she would much rather we spent the money on new curtains thank-you-very-much.

• @richardyot said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Impressively consistently persistent. And so heartfelt/wistful/romantic. Many more songs about love and girls and than cars and beer :) Do you share all of these with the Missus?

Hey thanks :) I'll make an effort to sing about cars and beer next time 🤘

The missus has zero interest, and on the few occasions she hears me recording a vocal in my office/den she always mercilessly takes the piss about my dreary songs 🙀

We're very happily married but she takes the view that my music is nothing more than an annoyingly expensive hobby and she would much rather we spent the money on new curtains thank-you-very-much.

Better to have curtain-anguish maybe than 'who was that you're singing about all heartbroken about?' :)

• Wow. Very good and consistent. Your voice reminds me a bit of David Gilmour.

• Listening now, but wanted to add that I liked the text of your posting very much!

And that i am a bit jealous because i never produce anything useful.
    Maybe i can get a bit inspiration from you :)

But singing is way out of my possibilities :D

• @Identor and @tja thanks!

@tja The only reason I run the SOTMC is to (selfishly) force me to finish things! Anyone can join in 👍 (and singing is optional)

• Now live on Spotify and iTunes etc - please check it out :)

• What can I say. A clean sweep. Many congratulations Richard.

SOTMC AWARDS 2020

SOTMC Single of the Year: A Beautiful Girl in a Photograph - Richard Yot.

SOTMC Album of the Year: Songs from a Silent Place - Richard Yot.

Outstanding Contribution to SOTMC: Richard Yot.

Hosted by: TBD.

Venue: TBD.

:)

• @Bluepunk said:
    What can I say. A clean sweep. Many congratulations Richard.

SOTMC AWARDS 2020

SOTMC Single of the Year: A Beautiful Girl in a Photograph - Richard Yot.

SOTMC Album of the Year: Songs from a Silent Place - Richard Yot.

Outstanding Contribution to SOTMC: Richard Yot.

Hosted by: TBD.

Venue: TBD.

:)

Clears throat... Takes out prepared notes... Begins acceptance speech.

Thanks! 🏆

• @richardyot said:
    This album was created and mixed entirely on the iPad, most of the songs were composed and arranged in NS2, and then the stems were exported to Auria where I did all the vocal tracking and final mixing. One song was composed in GarageBand instead (Living In A Silent Time) and the last song was composed and performed by @Kitusai and I just added vocals.

I'm very grateful to this forum which has given me a platform to host the Song Of The Month Club, which in turn has pushed me to produce a complete song, every month, for the past 5 and a half years. Without that I doubt I would be able to keep the motivation up to do this so consistently.

The monthly deadline from the SOTMC forces me to find little fragments of time in the margins of the day to tinker with my songs: try a bass line here, or a chord progression there, a vocal melody idea etc... And these little fragments add up to a few hours every week, which in turn become hundreds of hours over the course of a year, and little by little I've managed to write over a hundred songs, and have settled into the rhythm of producing an album every year.

So I'm really grateful to the forum, and especially to anyone who has ever taken part in the SOTMC, because without that I simply would never have found the motivation to do this.

The sound of my music is dark and dreamy, somewhere between Shoegaze and The Doors, but with synths rather than guitars. I do a lot of my own sound design, and most of these songs feature my own synth patches and drum kits.

This is the Bandcamp release, I will update with the Spotify and iTunes details once they become available in a few weeks.

So with that said, thank you to anyone who takes the time to listen :)

https://richardyot.bandcamp.com/album/songs-from-a-silent-place

Well produced. I love your voice

• @Toastedghost said:
    Well produced. I love your voice

Thank you :) I learnt to sing in my forties, and it was pretty terrible to start with, so it's great (and surprising) to hear that.

• Very nice! Compliments!

• Hello I'll listen to your album with great pleasure (and I'm very happy to have contributed!)

• @richardyot Have you improved the sound? (Mastering?)
    I ask because I found it clearer than in the SOTM publishings.
    I remembered some of this songs which means that the melodies stick in my ears after the first listening.
    A very pleasant listening all along, a soft charming kind of nostalgic pop songs travel. I like it a lot.
    (btw It reminds me a bit of Etienne Daho French work.)
    Thanks for sharing!

• @Kitusai said:
    @richardyot Have you improved the sound? (Mastering?)
    I ask because I found it clearer than in the SOTM publishings.
    I remembered some of this songs which means that the melodies stick in my ears after the first listening.
    A very pleasant listening all along, a soft charming kind of nostalgic pop songs travel. I like it a lot.
    (btw It reminds me a bit of Etienne Daho French work.)
    Thanks for sharing!

I did revisit the mixes just to give them a final polish. I will have to check out Etienne Daho!

Thanks for the listen, and thanks also for your contribution of course 🙏