Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MPE on iOS

2»

Comments

• @PeteSasqwax said:

@despego said:
    From their FAQ: https://support.keithmcmillen.com/hc/en-us/articles/204303889--What-are-the-differences-between-QuNexus-and-K-Board-

It seems that it has:
    Separate pressure data per key
    Separate tilt data per key
    Channel-Per-Note (Channel Rotation)

Whether it qualifies as MPE, I can't tell.

Yes, that's the crux of the issue I guess. Is it E sufficiently to be MPE. Where does the line in the sand exist?

Hmm, there might be some midi experts here that can answer to that. Otherwise head on to https://community.polyexpression.com - plenty of nerds ready to answer your MPE questions.

Maybe it doesn't follow the MPE specs (another protocol?), maybe it has no common channel... just speculation
    There have been attempts at achieving this poly expression way before MPE. See Thumbjam mentioned above for instance or Ribbons (which doesn't accept midi in because Olympia Noise developed another system to cope with its pitch bend) or, far away in time, the Buchla thunder...

• @despego said:
    the Buchla thunder...

swoon :wink:

I actually just bought a Make Noise 0-Ctrl to pair with my 0-Coast and create a Make Noise Music Easel (but that's way off topic and I apologise for the tangent!)

Yes, I see what you mean about the exact specifics of whether it's officially MPE. I suppose it really doesn't matter that much - what is of paramount importance (to me) is whether it's MPE enough for my needs (which I feel it is, although I do find myself looking at the Morph with Thunder overlays in my weaker moments)

• @PeteSasqwax said:

@despego said:
    the Buchla thunder...

I actually just bought a Make Noise 0-Ctrl to pair with my 0-Coast and create a Make Noise Music Easel (but that's way off topic and I apologise for the tangent!)

Yes, I see what you mean about the exact specifics of whether it's officially MPE. I suppose it really doesn't matter that much - what is of paramount importance (to me) is whether it's MPE enough for my needs (which I feel it is, although I do find myself looking at the Morph with Thunder overlays in my weaker moments)

Ask @Gavinski about the Sensel Morph. He seems to have some problems with it.
    For MPE in iOS I look more at the sound sources more than controllers. I mean, "expressive" playing for me is best done with hardware (waiting impatiently for the Striso Board and regretting I sold my Linnstrument).

I'm still waiting for an MPE iOS synth with focus on hardware controllers (one page of awesomeness with well implemented MPE support)

• Oh, wow - the Linnstrument is Continuum/Soundplane levels of awesome!

• @PeteSasqwax said:

@despego said:
    From their FAQ: https://support.keithmcmillen.com/hc/en-us/articles/204303889--What-are-the-differences-between-QuNexus-and-K-Board-

It seems that it has:

Yes, that's the crux of the issue I guess. Is it E sufficiently to be MPE. Where does the line in the sand exist?

Animoog can respond to poly-aftertouch which is different from mpe and has been around since before MPE. So, any controller with poly aftertounch (including launchpad x which is not mpe) can get per-note aftertouch effects in animoog.

• @espiegel123 said:

@PeteSasqwax said:

@despego said:

It seems that it has:

Animoog can respond to poly-aftertouch which is different from mpe and has been around since before MPE. So, any controller with poly aftertounch (including launchpad x which is not mpe) can get per-note aftertouch effects in animoog.

Well, according to most iOs developers, any app that supports after touch is automatically fully MPE. Even if it's just one channel.

• @sclurbs said:

@espiegel123 said:

@PeteSasqwax said:

@despego said:

It seems that it has:

Well, according to most iOs developers, any app that supports after touch is automatically fully MPE. Even if it's just one channel.

?

• @sclurbs said:

@espiegel123 said:

@PeteSasqwax said:

@despego said:

It seems that it has:

Sadly yes.

But Animoog also supports MPE. One of the first apps. And the dev is behind the software side of the Linnstrument.

• @despego said:

@PeteSasqwax said:

@despego said:
    the Buchla thunder...

Ask @Gavinski about the Sensel Morph. He seems to have some problems with it.
    For MPE in iOS I look more at the sound sources more than controllers. I mean, "expressive" playing for me is best done with hardware (waiting impatiently for the Striso Board and regretting I sold my Linnstrument).

I'm still waiting for an MPE iOS synth with focus on hardware controllers (one page of awesomeness with well implemented MPE support)

I really want to recommend the morph with Buchla thunder but sensel still haven't fixed the firmware issue that is causing the top row of buttons not to recognise touches consistently. When they do, it will be an amazing controller, for now I can't recommend it. If you are using the regular piano overlay you are unlikely to have problems as you are playing lower on the keys

• @Gavinski said:
    I really want to recommend the morph with Buchla thunder but sensel still haven't fixed the firmware issue that is causing the top row of buttons not to recognise touches consistently.

Wow, that's an immense problem - the Thunder is the reason I'd want a Morph in the first place! If that doesn't work exactly as it should I'll pass until it does. Thanks for the heads-up!

• @PeteSasqwax said:

@Gavinski said:
    I really want to recommend the morph with Buchla thunder but sensel still haven't fixed the firmware issue that is causing the top row of buttons not to recognise touches consistently.

Wow, that's an immense problem - the Thunder is the reason I'd want a Morph in the first place! If that doesn't work exactly as it should I'll pass until it does. Thanks for the heads-up!

Yup. I think it is important to point out because I know from experience that firmware probs with mpe controllers can be very very hard to fix. Took Roli a year to fix one that made it hard to play 2 seaboard together, drove me crazy. That said, you could always get a morph and try it, then get a refund if it doesn't work. Because some people say they have no problems. But morph told me this affects all morphs currently

• I think I'll stick with the QuNexus for now and go for the Morph when I know all the issues have been addressed. It's a massive shame because having a Thunder - in whatever form it might take - is immensely appealing.

• edited November 2020

@PeteSasqwax said:
    I think I'll stick with the QuNexus for now and go for the Morph when I know all the issues have been addressed. It's a massive shame because having a Thunder - in whatever form it might take - is immensely appealing.

I find this appealing

• That looks great. Reminds me of:

• @PeteSasqwax said:
    That looks great. Reminds me of:

😂

• I personally don‘t mind the issue with the little top pads on the thunder-morph-overlay. The coolest thing with the morph to me is the easy programmability with custom overlays („no overlay mode“). Also, to me, the fun only starts with programming my own presets inside the various mpe-capable synths. It‘s great joy to be found there. No need for presets with already setup aftertouch, glide, slide etc. here, I don‘t even like most preprogrammed presets (inside noise for example), since often there are effects like delay and reverb already integrated, and I have to get rid of those silly, always recognizable soundsets anyways. I already bought two morphs, and I can‘t see myself stopping any time soon, hehe. Out of Roli Blocks, Artiphon and morph (which I have tried), the morphs easily beats all!) Hopefully for you guys the issues will be ironed out soon, though... . Just don‘t miss out on eventual sales of the morph, it‘s great! (My two cts.)

• edited January 2022

In case anyone's still reading: Xequence 2.3 will support recording, playback AND editing of MPE and has just entered public beta -- if you want to help out and provide feedback and suggestions:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/1045359

Thanks!

• @Gavinski said:
    Yes, but it is also not a quality list, because some, many, of these don’t implement mpe very well

I agree. MPE implementation across apps is very inconsistent. Maybe there needs to be a “minimum feature set” before any synth can be advertised as having MPE.