Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus 3, Xequence and Derek Buddemeyer’s Drum Session

Hi, please be gentle, I’m new here....

I am trying to run Drum Session as an output from AB3 to play midi from Xequence but I can not get it working and understand that there are compatibility issues currently awaiting an update by Blue Mangoo. To try to overcome this in the meantime, I have installed the Midiflow Adaptor app.

I can run Drum Session directly from Xequence but it would be nice to have everything centralised in AB3.

I have Midiflow Adaptor hosted in AB3 as a Midi Output configured as’ MF Adaptor In 1’.
In Drum Session I have ‘MF Adaptor Out 1’ selected as the Midi input.
I have added a Midi instrument track in Xequence with it’s destination set to ‘MF Adaptor In 1’.
All midi channels are set to Ch1.
I think I may have a config error in Xequence as I can play Drum Session sounds using the handy Midiflow Keyboard app hosted as a second input to the AB3 track.

Any input on my configuration and the compatibility of these apps would be much appreciated.

This is running ‘just’ on an iPad mini while I await delivery of an iPad Pro.

Comments

• Welcome @Twig you’ll find this joint is pretty friendly so don’t be afraid to ask any question. I’ve asked plenty of “stupid questions” and got back brilliant answers with a smile, this isn’t the Les Paul Forum by a long shot...

As for Drum Session, I’ve had the same issues you’ve run into. It’s a great app with lots of potential that still needs work that unfortunately hasn’t been done yet. I hope you figure it out but just know Drum Session has had its issues for awhile now...cheers

• wimwim
    edited April 2020

Nothing much special needed ...

1. Load Drum Session in Audiobus Audio input lane on the Audio tab.
    2. Load Xequence MIDI Out 1 in Audiobus MIDI input lane on the MIDI tab.
    3. Load System > Virtual MIDI > Drum Session > Channel 1 in the output position of that same lane.
    4. In Xequence, point the track to "Audiobus" (Not Audiobus 3), channel 1.
    5. In Drum session set ALL for MIDI Source.

Here's an Audiobus preset that works for me: http://preset.audiob.us/dWkMjNW2rW7FA55

(Note, Midiflow Adapter is no longer needed since AB3 now has virtual midi out.)

• I opened this thread out of curiosity. But it didn't click with me why use Xequence > Drum Session (I do the opposite :lol:)

But then I opened @wim's preset, layed out a Kick and side-stick recording the Xequence pads with all them velocity glory. Clicked plus to create another track and zoomed in to 3 parts (Guiros and clave - the sounds where others, but it was good anyway), dropped a polyhymnia, adjusted it a bit, and then created another track where I step edited a snare.

Really fast, I got some interesting drum grooves using 3 methods: Recorded, Generative and Step-Edit

:heart: Sending much love to you guys in this post and @SevenSystems and @Blue_Mangoo :heart:
    This even deserves even dropping a track using only their apps :love:

• edited April 2020

Thank you @JRSIV for your warm welcome.
    Thank you @wim for your excellent and concise instructions and the preset.
    Thank you @senhorlampada for sharing your experience.

I am up and running thanks to @wim I couldn’t have done it without you. My iPad arrived today, apps installed, preset loaded and midi drums ahoy. I even got my BeatBuddy running from AB3 via Bluetooth so I‘m a happy camper 😊

Thanks all and stay safe 😷