Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

List of synthesizers that are also mFX plugins

I'd like to make a list of synths with audio input as mFX for the community.

Synths which can be used in both the instrument and mFX slot in AU hosts are unique in that they can be used as modules in larger multi-plugin configurations. The reason this is desirable is because the native envelopes, LFOs, and mod sources have much finer resolution than CCs and midi lfos, which would typically be used to modulate AU parameters. Each synth brings with it a distinct character and unique mod sources. Your favorite vco can be routed through the VCF of your choice, and through the VCA of an instrument which might happen to have great control over envelope curves. This also gives the advantage of adding effects anywhere in the signal chain.

Edited community list:

• Drambo
  • iVCS3 (inc individual modules)
  • Synthmaster One
  • Synthmaster Player
  • Moog Model 15
  • KQ Unotone
  • Mela
  • Shapesynth
  • FRMS
  • iPulsaret

Comments

• KQ UnoTone
    Mela
    Shapesynth

• Elsa
    Tardigrain
    SpaceCraft

• I've never heard of any of these, thanks. The Unotone looks like it'd be a great oscillator. I wonder if KQ's MiniSynth also has audio input? That would be really useful with it's modular architecture.

@White said:
    KQ UnoTone
    Mela
    Shapesynth

• miRack soon.

• edited April 2020

Between miRack as an mFX and Drambo, nothing will be impossible.
    I've heard that Sunvox and Audulus will be joining the party this year as well.

@auxmux said:
    miRack soon.

• @aleyas said:
    Between miRack as an mFX and Drambo, nothing will be impossible.
    I've heard that Sunvox and Audulus will be joining the party this year as well.

@auxmux said:
    miRack soon.

Yeah SunVox would be great as a sequencer and effect.

• Ipulsaret yes, Stria too, I think if I remember right that all / most apesoft synths have mfx.

• Good description of the usefulness of mfx, btw, I hadn't really thought through all the advantages before, thnx

• @aleyas hi was trying with synthmaster one as an au fx When i load it i get no sound . Tried in aum & bm3

• edited April 2020

@stormbeats in general, apps loaded in the fx slot alter the sound of apps loaded in the audio slot above it rather than produce their own sound, though there are some exceptions. So if you want to play synthmaster one, you load it in the audio slot, if you want to use its knobs etc to manipulate audio of other apps, you load it in the fx slot.
    Edit : unless I misunderstood and you are saying that synthmaster one loaded as an fx stops you receiving midi from what has been loaded in the audio channel?

• edited April 2020

@stormbeats said:
    @aleyas hi was trying with synthmaster one as an au fx When i load it i get no sound . Tried in aum & bm3

The soundtestroom did some videos on S.One as an effect, you have to select the default/init preset if you wish to use its effects on incoming sound, I believe. You can also use the audio in as an oscillator, didn’t play around with that myself yet, but there should be tutorials around on that as well.

• edited April 2020

Hi, I'll try to walk you through it.

• In the instrument slot in Aum, load what will be you oscillator. It's best if we use a monophonic sound source for this. I suggest the VCO module by iVCS3. **(set osc 1 pan hard left, oscillator 2 pan hard right)
    • Go into the midi sources and select Aum's built in keyboard. With the midi channel filter, set it to respond only to channel 1. Now you can play the VCO, but it will always be sounding.
    • In the effects slot, load Synthmaster One. Also set Synthmaster to midi channel 1 and Aum's keyboard.
    • Now when you play the keyboard, you will only hear Sythmaster one, and it will be polyphonic. We need to make it monophonic and to listen to just the audio input. (If it is polyphonic you will get duplication of the audio input X how many voices you're playing.)
    • In the top left corner set Synthmaster to 4 voice / Monophonic.
    • Click OSC1 waveform, select 'Audio in L'. Turn down the level of the SUB1
    • Click OSC2 waveform, select 'Audio in R', Turn down SUB2 level.
      *Save this as a default template. And now you have a monophonic instrument, and can begin tweaking the synth parameters.

Let me know if you've got any questions, or if that wasn't clear. I've been meaning to make a tutorial about how to turn something like this into a poly synth, but you will need a script for that.

@stormbeats said:
    @aleyas hi was trying with synthmaster one as an au fx When i load it i get no sound . Tried in aum & bm3

• I just checked on Stria, looks like it's only an instrument and generator though. I love apesoft, but that app has always confused the hell out of me. I'd be curious to know if Mood Synth has audio input, but I don't have that one yet.
    Also, I wasn't sure if I should include iDensity or not as it doesn't really have amp or filter envelopes we can trigger by midi.

@Gavinski said:
    Ipulsaret yes, Stria too, I think if I remember right that all / most apesoft synths have mfx.

• All app by this guy are top notch. Last black friday I buy all app at 75% OFF.

http://www.yonac.com/index.html

They are also mFX plugins.

• @aleyas said:
    I just checked on Stria, looks like it's only an instrument and generator though. I love apesoft, but that app has always confused the hell out of me. I'd be curious to know if Mood Synth has audio input, but I don't have that one yet.
    Also, I wasn't sure if I should include iDensity or not as it doesn't really have amp or filter envelopes we can trigger by midi.

@Gavinski said:
    Ipulsaret yes, Stria too, I think if I remember right that all / most apesoft synths have mfx.

Mood appears as an IAA fx, but not AUFX.
    Kinda weird, it is an AU instrument.

• edited April 2020

So external audio can be passed through the actual synth engine in Kauldron and Magellan 2? In other words you can treat external audio with the inbuilt VCF, envelopes and LFO?

I only have Magellan 1, which is IAA, but I tried it in the effects slot and found that external audio only passed through the stereo FX rack, but not through the synth itself. Just want to confirm if Magellan 2 is different in this regard?

@Montreal_Music said:
    All app by this guy are top notch. Last black friday I buy all app at 75% OFF.

• @aleyas said:
    So external audio can be passed through the actual synth engine in Kauldron and Magellan 2? In other words you can treat external audio with the inbuilt VCF, envelopes and LFO?

I only have Magellan 1, which is IAA, but I tried it in the effects slot and found that external audio only passed through the stereo FX rack, but not through the synth itself. Just want to confirm if Magellan 2 is different in this regard?

@Montreal_Music said:

No Kauldron in my AUFX list.
    But Roxsyn is there.
    I don’t have Magellan 2.

• I see, thanks for checking on that. I've been watching Roxsyn tutorials for the past 20 minutes now. Sounds incredible.

@CracklePot said:

@aleyas said:

@Montreal_Music said:

No Kauldron in my AUFX list.
    But Roxsyn is there.
    I don’t have Magellan 2.

• OK maybe I remembered wrongly about Stria, sorry. I'm now looking at my app list in AUM: Sparkle, ipulsaret, drambo, elsa, Idensity, vcs3, shapesynth, tardigrain, audio layer all have mfx extensions

• edited April 2020

No worries! I wasn't seeing Stria as an Au at all at first, so it prompted me to check my updates. After updating and loading in Aum I actually get something melodic out of it for the first time, and triggered by midi.

@Gavinski said:
    OK maybe I remembered wrongly about Stria, sorry. I'm now looking at my app list in AUM: Sparkle, ipulsaret, drambo, elsa, Idensity, vcs3, shapesynth, tardigrain, audio layer all have mfx extensions

• AudioLayer (!)
    It can sample from inside an MFx slot and have the sample triggered by the keyboard plus apply its own internal FX.

• edited April 2020

Oh man, I just realised now what nice manipulations u can get using vcs3 as an mfx, wonderful. Had no idea that even things like oscillator frequency would work in these apps as mfx. And it helps that vcs3 has just about the most enjoyable knobs of any synth I've seen on iOS,

• edited April 2020

For real! I can't live without the vco module. Applying just a touch of FM and it's the fattest thing ever. Been loving it through Drambo. The Envelope module is great as a midi gate as well. Wish iVCS3 would turn the ring mod into a breakout module eventually too.

@Gavinski said:
    Oh man, I just realised now what nice manipulations u can get using vcs3 as an mfx, wonderful

• @Pitje @aleyas ok thanks for info.

• @Gavinski said:
    @stormbeats in general, apps loaded in the fx slot alter the sound of apps loaded in the audio slot above it rather than produce their own sound, though there are some exceptions. So if you want to play synthmaster one, you load it in the audio slot, if you want to use its knobs etc to manipulate audio of other apps, you load it in the fx slot.
    Edit : unless I misunderstood and you are saying that synthmaster one loaded as an fx stops you receiving midi from what has been loaded in the audio channel?

@Gavinski ok cheers, just want to use it as an effects in aufio channel. Its cool I worked it out.

• Yeah, I realized I misunderstood your problem, nice you solved it

• edited May 2020

Including miRack now that the new update hit :)

• Drambo
    • iVCS3 (inc individual modules)
    • miRack
    • Synthmaster One
    • Synthmaster Player
    • Moog Model 15
    • KQ Unotone
    • Mela
    • Shapesynth
    • FRMS
    • iPulsaret
    • Spectrum
  • Spectrum - which also has resonator, granular, and modal Inside.

• Edited to include Spectrum :)

@Poppadocrock said:
    Spectrum - which also has resonator, granular, and modal Inside.