Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The good & bad of having multiple running projects

Not sure how everyone else handles multiple projects. I have focused on one given project at once, however, it somewhat felt forced and restricted. I have a solo project titled VERIN that I will invite friends to add voices or noise to certain tracks. And then Krate had about a dozen guest artists with about 2-3 core members.

Then I have this iostrakon (YouTube video jam thing) which I haven’t really decided which direction to go with. Maybe a scratchpad that I use to share my ideas with the world that turn into something else or go into the abyss of half written songs.

I probably need to organize my shit and game plan but sometimes just cracking open AUM and just messing around is rewarding enough.

Either way, here’s my latest. Could very well be a future VERIN track since it fits that mold.

Comments

• Also want to start a dark ambient / drone project. Have some tracks in the pipeline and always enjoyed experimenting with granular synthesis.

Might make it point to write all this down and organize everything.

• There is no right method (other than maybe to make sure some time is set aside most days to work without distraction). There are artists that are successful that do one thing at a time and some that work on lots of things in parallel and some that do a mixture. But I think the thing that is pretty universal is work ethic.

I just heard Neil Finn talking about this on his daily web-radio show that there are lots of people with talent that come up with some brilliant stuff but that ultimately what distinguishes (artistically) successful artists is not their talent but their willingness to slog through the grind of doing the work whether they feel inspired or not.

One hears that a lot and I think it's true. The slog's method may largely be a matter of personal affinity. But the slog itself a necessity.

I have a friend whose method was to set a target date each year for completion of a record. About half the year was spent coming up with themes and ideas. And then 1/4 of the year structuring those bits into compositions and recording the parts and the last quarter re-recording as needed and mixing. It worked pretty well for him in terms of keeping him on track and focused.

• Thanks @espiegel123 / work ethic definitely plays a huge part. Timelines and structure would help me for sure. My issue is sticking with one “sound” during any stretch of time. I know some artists that have multiple projects that just keep creating and then look back at what demos fit which project.

@espiegel123 said:
    There is no right method (other than maybe to make sure some time is set aside most days to work without distraction). There are artists that are successful that do one thing at a time and some that work on lots of things in parallel and some that do a mixture. But I think the thing that is pretty universal is work ethic.

I just heard Neil Finn talking about this on his daily web-radio show that there are lots of people with talent that come up with some brilliant stuff but that ultimately what distinguishes (artistically) successful artists is not their talent but their willingness to slog through the grind of doing the work whether they feel inspired or not.

One hears that a lot and I think it's true. The slog's method may largely be a matter of personal affinity. But the slog itself a necessity.

I have a friend whose method was to set a target date each year for completion of a record. About half the year was spent coming up with themes and ideas. And then 1/4 of the year structuring those bits into compositions and recording the parts and the last quarter re-recording as needed and mixing. It worked pretty well for him in terms of keeping him on track and focused.

• edited April 2020

"One project at a time" has made me finish much more songs than the "multiple parallel projects" approach. Of course that sometimes makes it feel like ordinary work. In that case, I stop and return later.

• Dang it!!!! I had a post already to go on this and you beat me to it!!! LOL. This is my biggest problem. I have 400 8 bar loops and very few finished tracks. I don’t know what the root cause is for this. I think I need to do a few things and set some small goals for what I want to do. One thing that I have been doing lately for tracks is writing down what I want to do with it, and what my original idea was. So like when I stumble across it again I can refer to my notes (which seem to help me).

• I might have to return to this process. I’ve released albums using different techniques but will be probably more prolific and detailed if I stick to one at a time.

@LeonKowalski said:
    "One project at a time" has made me finish much more songs than the "multiple parallel projects" approach. Of course that sometimes makes it feel like ordinary work. In that case, I stop and return later.

• Hahaha

It was worse when I was working for a label, putting out compilations, working on my own noise, remixing others + daily life grind.

I’ve noticed that writing down ideas/game planning has helped me extremely. Need to revert back to that.

@onerez said:
    Dang it!!!! I had a post already to go on this and you beat me to it!!! LOL. This is my biggest problem. I have 400 8 bar loops and very few finished tracks. I don’t know what the root cause is for this. I think I need to do a few things and set some small goals for what I want to do. One thing that I have been doing lately for tracks is writing down what I want to do with it, and what my original idea was. So like when I stumble across it again I can refer to my notes (which seem to help me).

• At the start of the year i set out to create 10 techno/experimental tracks and use them in a 30 min dj mix.
    I had four tracks that I was working on to begin with but have been trying to complete one track at a time.
    The biggest problem I am finding is trying to make the tracks sound different.
    I will stick with it and see how it ends up.