Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is there another app like SampleWiz?

Still new to the whole music scene so please bear with me.

The reason I like SampleWiz is because I can pretty much import any .wav file into the app and then use the keyboard to play that sample (be it an instrument, voice, sound effect, or beat) in any octave on the keyboard with great results.

Is there a similar app that I can get that will allow me to use Audiocopy Paste to import a .wav sample and play it on a built in or external keyboard?

Reason being, SampleWiz just will not work on the iPad Air. Opens for a second and then crashes.

Comments

• I don't have a replacement suggestion, but I would encourage you to contact [email protected] with the issue if you haven't already. If no response, I would further encourage you to rate the app extremely poorly on the App Store (and anybody you know who owns it). It appears that people have been complaining since iOS 7 came out.

• edited March 2014

SampleWiz works fine on iPad Air here. Could you try a re-install? Make sure you're on the latest iOS 7 version. Another thing to check is under iOS settings, go to the integrity section, then microphone, and make sure you've allowed SampleWiz access to the mic.

Edit:

There are so many options available other then SampleWiz for playing back samples though. Some apps will only accept one single sample (samplewiz). Others will allow multi-samples and even multi-layered samples, to be mapped out on a keyboard.

• Yeah, I saw all those reviews. I don't think the developer is going to update the app at this point. Hasn't since July 2013 even with all those negative reviews now out there.

I was just hoping that there was something similar.

• @ChrisG
    I am on iOS 7.04. Play Startup Animation is Off, as well as, Show Wizard Animation. Mic is on. Installed it a few times and still crashes. Works fine with the above setting on my iPad 3 and iPad Mini 2.

• Just opened SampleWiz on my iPad Air (latest OS version) and played with a dozen or so presets without an issue. Perhaps reinstalling would be worth a try.

• @klrouwo1

That's a shame about the crashing on the Air. I agree with you in appreciation of samplewiz. I bought it a long time ago and it is still a staple for me. The granular synthesis aspect of it really set it apart. It's like Samplr and idensity put together.

I think The thumbjam developer (sonosaurus) has taken over Wizdom apps, but I am not 100% as I read it in another thread. This is good news as he is an excellent developer. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• edited March 2014

@klrouw01 said:

@ChrisG
    I am on iOS 7.04. Play Startup Animation is Off, as well as, Show Wizard Animation. Mic is on. Installed it a few times and still crashes. Works fine with the above setting on my iPad 3 and iPad Mini 2.

Hm. Weird. I mean, we are both using the same exact hardware and software here (well I'm on 7.06 but that was just a secu patch update).

Edit: Did you press "yes" when it asked about access to the mic, after reinstalling samplewiz and opening it?

• The closest thing you'll find is Samplr, which excels at mangling sounds as well as playing them. For what you are wanting to do, Samplr may be the closest thing.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/samplr-touch-the-music/id560756420?mt=8

However, Thumbjam has a decent sampler too, but there's a crossfade bug that hasn't been fixed in over a year. The developer keeps forgetting to fix it with every release... :-(

Beatmaker 2 has the most full featured sampler, but you get the whole bloated DAW along with it...

There's also VoKey, but I wouldn't bother....it's too convoluted..

So, Sampler is probably your closest bet. :-)

• Wow, I start writing, step away for a bit, come back and finish, and everybody has already answered! :-)

• I helped them update versions of the Wizdom apps with Audiobus support, but I haven't "taken over" anything. I am not tied in to their support system and wasn't aware of the issue. I'll try to reproduce (I don't have an Air) but I can't believe it would be hardware specific.

@Audiojunkie, ThumbJam update coming real soon now! All those bugs fixed, IAA support, AB2 presets, velocity layering and more.... it is all waaaay overdue.

• For me SampleWiz has been crashing ever since iOS 7 update, on iPhone 4S and iPAD mini. Re-install did not help. Since it works for some, it might have to do with some other system settings.

• Works fine on iPhone 5 with 7.06 here

• Beatmaker 2 can do what the OP's asking for.

Samplr can also do this, as others have mentioned, but to be honest, the scenario the op mentions is, imo, the function that app does the worst (does the keyboard option even play on an ext keyboard? I didn't think it would). With that says, Samplr has so many unique and amazing features that it may be worth choosing just for the creative possibilities!

In the end, I'd argue these two apps in tandem are your absolute best bet.

• @sonosaurus
    Looking forward to ThumbJam update!

• SampleWiz works fine for me on my iPad mini retina, v7.0.3, sadly. I got one crash on my iPad3 v7.0.3 after initial install, but then it worked fine. I was hoping to reproduce it more often, but at least I got one crash log out of it to work with.

• Ok, I upgraded the iPad Air to 7.06. Uninstalled and re-installed SampleWiz. Turned off Sound and Animation and allowed it to use the Mic. Had the iPads volume above 50%. Loaded it up and played a few notes from Hendrix Wiz and I hear sound cracking and then the app shuts down. Now it crashes all the time when it loads.

Uninstall and re-install again. Lowered the iPad volume to 25%. Again played a few notes... no cracking and SampleWiz works fine. No crashing.

Weird.

• None the less, I hope SampleWiz gets updated. I will try Samplr also.

So ThumbJam (which is great) also will allow me to import .wav files and play (less keyboard) them like SampleWiz?

• @sonosaurus WOW! Fantastic! What's the time frame for release?

• @klrouw01, yes you can create your own instruments in TJ (and they can even be multi-sampled across the range). It doesn't have the different varieties of sample playback that SampleWiz does, but it will work.

@Audiojunkie, hoping to get it out in time for AB2's release... I have more features in mind but they can wait until a bit later, I suppose.

• After reading this I've made some tests with SampleWiz on iPad Air (latest iOS) and everything seems ok here.

• @sonosaurus Awesome! I'm looking forward to it! :-)

• @sonosaurus "ship early and often"!

• @syrupcore said:

@sonosaurus "ship early and often"!

If you've been keeping track you'll know that I totally don't follow that mantra. But at least I respond early and often to try making up for it!

• @TGiG said:

@sonosaurus
    Looking forward to ThumbJam update!

Me, too! Just picked up ThumbJam & DrumJam and I dig both of them. Great sound!