Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MidiPlus X3 mini midi keyboard is awesome!

I’ve just received it and only had a chance to play with for a few minutes but...wow! This keyboard is sweet.

It has great action, comparable to Arturia mini lab mk 2. Also probably in terms of size of the keys. They’re perfect synth action and not to mushy or clunky, just right.

It has 4 assignable knobs and 6 assignable buttons.

It is very well made and definitely feels premium with lit up pitch and mod strips and knob position markers as well as backlit buttons.

It can be programmed from the unit so no need for computer software. This also means switching midi channel on the fly.

It has a midi out!!!!!!

and (drum roll.....)

It can be powered by an iPhone!!!!

Freaking amazing.

Disclaimer: I’m not a keyboard player but I love tinkering with keys and certainly can tell the difference between good and bad action. ;)

Comments

• Did I say it is £82 on Amazon?

• wimwim
    edited April 2020

oooh! that does look nice. I've been looking for something "mini" with more than 25 keys ... and it drives me NUTS when you can't change channels on-board.

• Wow! Looks like the gadget that the Arturia Keystep wanted to be in the first place 😃
    3 octaves, 4 knobs, 6 buttons. Very nice. Just my couch thing.

• wimwim
    edited April 2020

Does that midi-out have the ability to do midi-thru from midi coming from the iPhone by any chance? Part of me hopes not so I can keep my $85 in my pocket for just a little bit longer. :#

• @wim said:
    Does that midi-out have the ability to do midi-thru from midi coming from the iPhone by any chance?

You will need to RTFM I’m afraid ;)

• @rs2000 said:
    Wow! Looks like the gadget that the Arturia Keystep wanted to be in the first place 😃
    3 octaves, 4 knobs, 6 buttons. Very nice. Just my couch thing.

I’ve just changed the midi channel and midi CC on one of the knobs just like that, without even checking the manual. I’m used to expect the too much power message when there’s more than 3 leds but this guy doesn’t give a damn. It’s nice to have a value display too. I guess companies are getting better at this low power mode thing. ;)

• @supadom said:

@wim said:
    Does that midi-out have the ability to do midi-thru from midi coming from the iPhone by any chance?

It's not specifically mentioned, but I believe it has midi out only. I don't think it receives midi via usb such that it could pass it along anywhere.

It really does look like a winner though.

• Only drawback for me, the buttons are only momentary.

• @wim said:

@supadom said:

@wim said:

It's not specifically mentioned, but I believe it has midi out only. I don't think it receives midi via usb such that it could pass it along anywhere.

You might be right. I can test it for you if you tell me what to do.

So, send midi to it Via usb and see if it comes out via 5 pin din?

• It is lush when playing Neo-Soul Studio.

• @supadom said:

@wim said:

@supadom said:

@wim said:

yeh. But no worries. I really don't think it'll work.

• There are also X4 (49 keys) and X5 (61 keys).

Having that 5-pin MIDI could solve a problem with my new iPhone that only has a lightning port and no headphone out. I can use the Korg MIDI PlugKey using 5-pin and have a good quality D-to-A headphone jack with volume control on the PlugKey. To use Lightning with a USB only keyboard I have to add a USB Hub to connect the Keyboard AND an Audio Interface and an 18 Watt battery pack or wall wart the USB Hub.

• @wim said:

@supadom said:

@wim said:

@supadom said:

@wim said:

Ok, I don’t have any midi cables in the house but I’ll try it tomorrow.

• @supadom said:

@wim said:

@supadom said:

@wim said:

@supadom said:

@wim said:

CDC guidelines do allow for exiting quarantine when necessary for musical reasons.

• edited April 2020

@wim said:

@supadom said:

@wim said:

Simple solution:
    Take a mi.1 or MD-BT01 pair of BT MIDI dongles, plug the sender into the keyboard's MIDI out and attach a MIDI extension cable to the receiver plug.
    It'll get its power from the MIDI out only anyway.

• @wim said:

@supadom said:

@wim said:

@supadom said:

@wim said:

@supadom said:

@wim said:

CDC guidelines do allow for exiting quarantine when necessary for musical reasons.

Haha, yeah, I meant I have them in the studio which is 20 metres from the house ;)

• I'm not sure how to interpret this external MIDI device that is not a PC:

What do you think? It looks like the ability to add PAD's to the setup to me but maybe that's a Groovebox that accepts MIDI IN only and doesn't send back MIDI to the PC.

• @McD said:

I'm not sure how to interpret this external MIDI device that is not a PC:

What do you think? It looks like the ability to add PAD's to the setup to me but maybe that's a Groovebox that accepts MIDI IN only and doesn't send back MIDI to the PC.

I would expect there to be mention in the manual of being able to enable/disable midi through if it did have the ability. Midi thru needs to be able to be turned off on devices that provide it.

• @supadom said:
    I’ve just received it and only had a chance to play with for a few minutes but...wow! This keyboard is sweet.

It has great action, comparable to Arturia mini lab mk 2. Also probably in terms of size of the keys. They’re perfect synth action and not to mushy or clunky, just right.

It is very well made and definitely feels premium with lit up pitch and mod strips and knob position markers as well as backlit buttons.

It can be programmed from the unit so no need for computer software. This also means switching midi channel on the fly.

It has a midi out!!!!!!

and (drum roll.....)

Freaking amazing.

Disclaimer: I’m not a keyboard player but I love tinkering with keys and certainly can tell the difference between good and bad action. ;)

Love that cable.

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@supadom said:

It has a midi out!!!!!!

and (drum roll.....)

Freaking amazing.

Love that cable.

Comes with the machine!!! B)

But seriously, this keyboard is a bargain. I was looking at Keystep but I don’t need a sequencer and there was no knobs on it. This one ticks a lot of my boxes.

• the buttons are only momentary, Karen...

• @wim said:

@McD said:

I'm not sure how to interpret this external MIDI device that is not a PC:

I would expect there to be mention in the manual of being able to enable/disable midi through if it did have the ability. Midi thru needs to be able to be turned off on devices that provide it.

Probably NOT MIDI thru but it just hit me that the Korg MID PlugKey does have MIDI-In,
    Out and Thru. So that will help for those situations where I have another MIDI controller or target in the rig.

• edited April 2020

• Loving the x4 here!

• McDMcD
    edited April 2020

@Synthi said:
    Loving the x4 here!

Are the USB MIDI and 5-pin ports active at the same time? If the 5-pin connected
    device has internal sounds can you active them in anyway? By sending MIDI NOTE ON's to the X4?

Or is it 5-pin or USB but never both. If it's both I can do a MAC vis USB and the iPad via 5-pin and do some crazy rigs using a $90 keyboard as the MIDI converter.

NOTE: It occurs to me I can do this now using the Presonus AudioBox USB interface and even connect the iPad audio out back into the Audio ports and get to the Mac that way. But Mac OS X IDAM also routes everything over USB. I generally just mess around in AUM but inquiring minds need to ask questions.

• Did I mention > @Synthi said:

Loving the x4 here!

Does yours send the correct midi CC messages from the 6 buttons? I've just tried it with Loopy (unrecognised) and Drambo shows nothing in the midi monitor. The knobs work fine albeit I've struggled to get over 100 velocity value.

I'm going to try and upgrade firmware but it seems to only be able to do it with a Windows machine which I can only attempt using Parallels on my IMac.

• @supadom said:
    Did I mention > @Synthi said:

Loving the x4 here!

Does yours send the correct midi CC messages from the 6 buttons? I've just tried it with Loopy (unrecognised) and Drambo shows nothing in the midi monitor. The knobs work fine albeit I've struggled to get over 100 velocity value.

I'm going to try and upgrade firmware but it seems to only be able to do it with a Windows machine which I can only attempt using Parallels on my IMac.

Could it be that it's in MMC mode? That wouldn't register in Drambo's monitor. It should work in AUM if you enable "Receive MMC" in the "MIDI control" settings.

• @NoiseFloored said:

@supadom said:
    Did I mention > @Synthi said:

Loving the x4 here!

Could it be that it's in MMC mode? That wouldn't register in Drambo's monitor. It should work in AUM if you enable "Receive MMC" in the "MIDI control" settings.

Sussed it out. Hold shift and press button makes it turn blue, which makes it a CC controller. Phew, I was ready to send it back.

This pup also sends program change but I still have to suss it out exactly.

• edited December 2023

I would like to ask @supadom or any other MidiPlus X3 mini owner for favor:
    Could you please check whether this MidiPlus is able to achieve max velocity (127) during normal playing (without extreme unnatural hits)?
    Why am I asking? I had a chance to play on Arturia KeyStep and I couldn't get velocity higher than 123. In fact, I could get 125 but it was like torture for that keyboard. I know Arturia has 3 velocity curves to set but I'm dealing with max value, not curve.This MidiPlus X3 is my second candidate for purchase, but I would like to be clear about max velocity.
    Thank you in advance.