Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS 13 Files app: How to copy folder from one location to another?

edited April 2020 in Other

Among all the great new "innovations" and courage in iOS 13, it seems to now be impossible to copy a folder from one location (say, a network location) to another (say, a local app's "Documents" folder).

It used to be possible to tap and hold on the source folder, and then choose "Copy". That is still possible.

However, when I navigate to the target folder elsewhere, there is no "Paste" option anymore in the context menu! It is only available if the source is a FILE, not a FOLDER!

How in God's name am I supposed to manage my files with this?

Anyone else having this?

(in my particular case, I'm trying to copy a folder from a Windows share mounted in FileExplorer to an "On My iPad" app).

Comments

• edited April 2020

Answering my own question: It seems to work via Drag & Drop. That's of course not optimal, because the user can never be sure if that operation actually MOVES the files (which is implied by such an interaction in my book), or COPIES them (which it seems to do, and which is counter-intuitive, but better in this case), and it's a slow and tedious gesture anyway.

Why the heck even offer the "Copy" option if it doesn't work?

• edited April 2020

It works for me on my iPhone I iOS 13.4

I’ve just copied a folder from ‘Box’ to a folder inside my ‘on my iPhone’ file system.

The paste command is there...

(The source is a folder not a file)

• Just tested copying a folder from a network share to another location. It works, though it's better with 2x Files app opened in split screen, and dragging.

• Works fine for me on iPad Pro 13.4.

• edited April 2020

Definitely doesn't work for FileExplorer then. Maybe a bug in that app.

Anyway, even Drag & Drop is flakey as hell, at least if you drop directly on the app name instead of first holding on its name and then dropping "inside" it. No feedback on the progress of the copy operation. Folder overview that shows the target folder says "2 Files". When I open the folder, it says "1 File". So the copy operation is taking place in the background, with no visual feedback whatsoever, and different navigation levels counting files differently. Madness!

UPDATE: After a lengthy copy operation, the target folder contains no files!

I'm starting to think maybe FileExplorer is just immensely buggy. Will try with a direct mount from the Files app (though I remember THAT to be extremely buggy as well, that's why I changed to using FileExplorer for Windows shares in the first place :D )

UPDATE 2: OK, when mounting the Windows share directly via the "..." menu in the Files app, it seems to work better. So maybe time to ditch FileExplorer!

UPDATE 3: OK, "Paste" is available as well when using the Files app's internal mounting mechanism. So. FileExplorer: Time to go!

Maybe @Michael can delete this thread. Sorry for the useless rant!

• @SevenSystems said:

That's of course not optimal, because the user can never be sure if that operation actually MOVES the files (which is implied by such an interaction in my book), or COPIES them (which it seems to do, and which is counter-intuitive, but better in this case), and it's a slow and tedious gesture anyway.

In theory, copy happens when you drag to another “volume,” like a file provider, Dropbox, or between On My iPad and iCloud Drive.

Move happens when the drag and drop takes place all in the same volume.

In theory :)

• Hehehe, @SevenSystems

We are similar in some things :D

Anyway, I miss so much basic stuff in iOS, I cannot even count them.

Apple is always exactly one time innovative and then.... you need to wait.... endlessly long.

So, in 10 more years, you may see those things that you wanted already 5 years ago.