Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Grand Finale AUv3?

Who else would like to see Grand Finale gaining AUv3?
Or who would buy it if it was AUv3?

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t really find myself exporting audio from my DAW then importing it into Grand Finale to master and exporting it again. Sometimes I also want to change individual tracks while mastering. So unfortunately Grand Finale is mostly unused on my device.
I like to use it on the master track on desktop though.

Comments

• I probably would but...

Klevgr has a trackrecord of don’t doing updates that actually being new additions to the table like universal, like AUv3 and so forth (a few, yes). But they make good plugs! Bummer though.

• Maybe they will make.... Grandest Finale... :D

• @david_2017 said:
    I probably would but...

Klevgr has a trackrecord of don’t doing updates that actually being new additions to the table like universal, like AUv3 and so forth (a few, yes). But they make good plugs! Bummer though.

They added a gain button to LUXE in an update after people were asking for it. I think they listen. I guess they just don’t feel the urgency to change anything if people don’t ask for anything specific.

It might help if everyone here that also misses AUv3 in Grand Finale will write to them in some way. Would be great! :)

• I use it a lot and I like that it is a separate app. In my mind it separates the mixing from the mastering step.

• Until they do, just use the Tripleband preset in Barkfilter for instant magic on any mix. Even mastered tracks sound better through Tripleband.

• @jolico said:
    Until they do, just use the Tripleband preset in Barkfilter for instant magic on any mix. Even mastered tracks sound better through Tripleband.

Yeah it’s a good one. Pro-Q, MB and L2 is also great but Grand Finale is nice and compact with that Klevgränd sonic flavour that I like.

• edited April 2020

@ecou said:
    I use it a lot and I like that it is a separate app. In my mind it separates the mixing from the mastering step.

I get the point of that but it’s a shame that the app is restricted to only that workflow. AUv3 surely wouldn’t remove the stand alone option.

• Yeah, it’s okay but the UI is dreadful. The wave form almost invisible on my 1st gen pro 12.9/
    Barkfilter does me! The triple band!

• I never use built in presets but that Bark Filter Triple Band changed that. Its really impressive

• Get TB Barricade. It’s like Grand Finale but AUv3 and, in my opinion, significantly better overall.

For some extra flavor, throw TB EQ on the compressor preset.

• When it comes to EDM/Pop/Hip-Hop, Barkfilter is better. Rather, I use TB Equaliser, a gain of some sort (such as NS2's Stereogain in order for Barkfilter not to squash the sound too much), fed into Barkfilter (limiter off), and then Barricade. Grand Finale is perfect for Ambient and Experimental as it's a bit subtler. :)

• Hello fellas. Which one would you recommend for acoustic music ? barkfilter or Grand Final ? Thank you

• @JackRubinacci said:
    Hello fellas. Which one would you recommend for acoustic music ? barkfilter or Grand Final ? Thank you

As little as possible I would say. If you want a nice clean sound just get some gain with a quality limiter like Fabfilter Pro-L2 but make sure nothing is too hot. Maybe also add a touch of subtle compression with Pro-C2 or MagicDeathEye compressor before the limiter. That should prevent the acoustic sound from sounding too processed / unnatural.

• @jacou said:

@JackRubinacci said:
    Hello fellas. Which one would you recommend for acoustic music ? barkfilter or Grand Final ? Thank you

As little as possible I would say. If you want a nice clean sound just get some gain with a quality limiter like Fabfilter Pro-L2 but make sure nothing is too hot. Maybe also add a touch of subtle compression with Pro-C2 or MagicDeathEye compressor before the limiter. That should prevent the acoustic sound from sounding too processed / unnatural.

Thank you 🙏

• Thanks guys for all the input! So it seems that Grand Final isn’t really the all in one mastering tool of choice here. I also didn’t gain too much experience with it but generally I really like the sonic character of Klevgränd products. So I’d use it to add character to the master.
    But Barkfilter also seems to add some kind of character. Anyone having a before after example?
    Cheers :)

• I use Grand Finale exclusively for the final, final polish and am never disappointed. While I'd be tempted to throw it on a master bus if it was AUv3, I'm actually glad for the separation / discipline that having it separate encourages.

It encourages me to do the due diligence to understand and make the non-mastered mix as good as possible before that last stage. When I hear a large difference before and after the GF pass, I try to understand what led to that to see if there's something I can improve in the mix.

While I find Bark Filter fun and quick to throw onto a mix, anything that changes things that much, in my mind, means there's a lot of room for improvement in my mix. I prefer to try to stick to Grand Finale for its more understated "final polish".

But that's just me. I suck at mastering, so I like something that works without completely being a "magic pill" as people feel like Bark Filter is. I've never been disappointed with GF results.

(Total amateur advice here. I don't pretend to have a clue what I'm talking about.)

• First app ever that I don’t want as AUv3!

• @JackRubinacci said:

Definitely not Bark Filter! Bark Filter is more for beat-based electronic genres (from EDM to Synthwave to Hip-Hop to whatever Lady Gaga's "Stupid Love" is, etc). Grand Finale could work, but if you don't know what you're doing exactly, it could still produce some noticeable squashing of an acoustic track which is no good.

This would be my personal Acoustic Mastering workflow. Acoustic simply requires a little compression from MagicDeathEye compressor. Set MDE so it only exceeds the threshold during the loudest parts of a track, and if the threshold is constantly being exceeded, the threshold is too low. Then use a transparent limiter such as Pro-Q2 or Barricade and GENTLY limit only the loudest parts of a track. Again, if the the threshold is constantly being exceeded, the limiter threshold is too low.

And of course use an EQ such as Toneboosters' Equaliser to roll off the low end at around 20-30hz (frees up headspace) and to roll off the high end at around 18-20kHz (prevents nasty aliasing when downsampling). The mastering chain would look as follows...EQ->MagicDeathEye->Barricade.

The aesthetics behind mastering acoustic vs mastering beat-based stuff (at least the way I learned them) are complete night and day. When mastering EDM, you want that thick wall-of-sound aesthetic. Bark Filter does "wall of sound" VERY well. However, when mastering acoustic, from simple songwriter guitar-vocal arrangements to fully blown Classical music recordings, you want the sound to BREATHE!

I hope this insight into my mindset helps you mate. :) I'm not telling you what you should do but rather just giving you an insight into my own point of view. Cheers.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@JackRubinacci said:

Definitely not Bark Filter! Bark Filter is more for beat-based electronic genres (from EDM to Synthwave to Hip-Hop to whatever Lady Gaga's "Stupid Love" is, etc). Grand Finale could work, but if you don't know what you're doing exactly, it could still produce some noticeable squashing of an acoustic track which is no good.

This would be my personal Acoustic Mastering workflow. Acoustic simply requires a little compression from MagicDeathEye compressor. Set MDE so it only exceeds the threshold during the loudest parts of a track, and if the threshold is constantly being exceeded, the threshold is too low. Then use a transparent limiter such as Pro-Q2 or Barricade and GENTLY limit only the loudest parts of a track. Again, if the the threshold is constantly being exceeded, the limiter threshold is too low.

And of course use an EQ such as Toneboosters' Equaliser to roll off the low end at around 20-30hz (frees up headspace) and to roll off the high end at around 18-20kHz (prevents nasty aliasing when downsampling). The mastering chain would look as follows...EQ->MagicDeathEye->Barricade.

The aesthetics behind mastering acoustic vs mastering beat-based stuff (at least the way I learned them) are complete night and day. When mastering EDM, you want that thick wall-of-sound aesthetic. Bark Filter does "wall of sound" VERY well. However, when mastering acoustic, from simple songwriter guitar-vocal arrangements to fully blown Classical music recordings, you want the sound to BREATHE!

I hope this insight into my mindset helps you mate. :) I'm not telling you what you should do but rather just giving you an insight into my own point of view. Cheers.

Thank you man I really appreciate you taking the time to give me tips . Much appreciated

• @wim said:
    I use Grand Finale exclusively for the final, final polish and am never disappointed. While I'd be tempted to throw it on a master bus if it was AUv3, I'm actually glad for the separation / discipline that having it separate encourages.

It encourages me to do the due diligence to understand and make the non-mastered mix as good as possible before that last stage. When I hear a large difference before and after the GF pass, I try to understand what led to that to see if there's something I can improve in the mix.

While I find Bark Filter fun and quick to throw onto a mix, anything that changes things that much, in my mind, means there's a lot of room for improvement in my mix. I prefer to try to stick to Grand Finale for its more understated "final polish".

But that's just me. I suck at mastering, so I like something that works without completely being a "magic pill" as people feel like Bark Filter is. I've never been disappointed with GF results.

(Total amateur advice here. I don't pretend to have a clue what I'm talking about.)

Honestly, it’s very good advice. Thanks for it.

• @JackRubinacci said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@JackRubinacci said:

Thank you man I really appreciate you taking the time to give me tips . Much appreciated

You can also do subtle on Barkfilter by lowering the compression ratios on each band evenly.

I would also recommend placing this before Barkfilter or Magic death eye for centering the lower frequencies:
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/stereo-width-control/id1493044617

• @jolico said:

@JackRubinacci said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@JackRubinacci said:

You can also do subtle on Barkfilter by lowering the compression ratios on each band evenly.

I would also recommend placing this before Barkfilter or Magic death eye for centering the lower frequencies:
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/stereo-width-control/id1493044617

Thank you man . Lots to study here . Really appreciate the advice