Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Plague Doctor: a coronaviral autoimmune response using FRMS & Attack Softener

... and all the other things too! Took my FRMS and the beta Attack Softener for a spin.

Video version (just adds some text commentary) available here:

Comments

• Yeah, this captures the creepy dark side thIs virus has visited upon us. A lethal monster testing our cultural mettle and sending us scurrying back into our historical references to look for guidance as we try to devine our fate. Love the piece, thanks for the video annotation.

• edited April 2020

@jimprints: thanks for the comment, and the listen :) The story - and the appearance - of the real Plague Doctors of Europe is incredible. Truly it must have seemed apocalyptic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plague_doctor

• What’s the difference between the Attack Softener app and just changing the attack time on your synth?

• edited April 2020

@audio_DT : strictly speaking, I’m sure you are right, but see my response from the Attack Softener main thread to the same point raised by someone else, and cross posted here for your convenience :)

“Fair point well made, but this is a beta test of a new, rather niche app which I might not otherwise risk cash on, (and yes, an opportunity to get it free), but mostly a way for me to find out what this app might bring to the party for me as someone whose pieces are most often based on mainly or entirely random sequences and FX manipulation: a ‘proof of concept’.

I often work iteratively with recycled long audio loops where the transients are baked in after the first go round, so there’s no VCA to tweak (sometimes not even a synth in there in the first place), and this app seems to give me a way to ‘fix it in the mix’ if some of those randomly spike hard in my cumulative piling on of FX, or to offer musically interesting variation, with Attack Softener run by MIDIFlos...

I also don’t know where my pieces are going to go when I make them... (it’s the closest I’m ever going to get to jazz, at least in the sense that each piece is a one off, basically because I have no way of ever replicating it from scratch after it is done.)

As it happened, this one didn’t use loops - but having kicked the tyres, I do now have some ideas re running Attack Softener, Kuvert, and Filterstep over a long loop. Watch this space...”

I have since spent a bit more time playing with AS on some spiky dark ambient loops I made earlier, and it does indeed give me the opportunity to shape audio where no synth actually exists. I can’t think of anything else that would let me do that. (Maybe the FAC thing, which I’ve got, but frankly don’t understand?)

When I get something I am artistically happy with, and which shows the effect in action, I’ll do another vid.

As a general rule, I am only interested in midi, and indeed synths, as the raw sound sources, not instruments I play in any way, so I am always drawn to FX things which allow me to operate after the fact, that have parameters exposed and let me reshape things which are already fixed as audio. It’s a learning experience...

• Nice development on this one. The plague drs stuffed herbs and stuff into those beak masks... still they must have seemed pretty unfriendly.

• @LinearLineman : hey, thanks for the listen, and comment. Yes indeed, being in the grip of a terminal fever and seeing that leaning over you must have been pretty strange. According to Wikipedia, Nostradamus spent time working as a plague Doctor (! - wonder if he saw that in his future?), and one of the greatest of them was an expat Irishman living in Seville, remembered as a gifted anatomist and inventor of differential diagnosis. I suppose the hazmat suits of today’s medics might one day seem as strange...

• @Svetlovska said:
    @audio_DT : strictly speaking, I’m sure you are right, but see my response from the Attack Softener main thread to the same point raised by someone else, and cross posted here for your convenience :)

“Fair point well made, but this is a beta test of a new, rather niche app which I might not otherwise risk cash on, (and yes, an opportunity to get it free), but mostly a way for me to find out what this app might bring to the party for me as someone whose pieces are most often based on mainly or entirely random sequences and FX manipulation: a ‘proof of concept’.

I often work iteratively with recycled long audio loops where the transients are baked in after the first go round, so there’s no VCA to tweak (sometimes not even a synth in there in the first place), and this app seems to give me a way to ‘fix it in the mix’ if some of those randomly spike hard in my cumulative piling on of FX, or to offer musically interesting variation, with Attack Softener run by MIDIFlos...

I also don’t know where my pieces are going to go when I make them... (it’s the closest I’m ever going to get to jazz, at least in the sense that each piece is a one off, basically because I have no way of ever replicating it from scratch after it is done.)

As it happened, this one didn’t use loops - but having kicked the tyres, I do now have some ideas re running Attack Softener, Kuvert, and Filterstep over a long loop. Watch this space...”

I have since spent a bit more time playing with AS on some spiky dark ambient loops I made earlier, and it does indeed give me the opportunity to shape audio where no synth actually exists. I can’t think of anything else that would let me do that. (Maybe the FAC thing, which I’ve got, but frankly don’t understand?)

When I get something I am artistically happy with, and which shows the effect in action, I’ll do another vid.

As a general rule, I am only interested in midi, and indeed synths, as the raw sound sources, not instruments I play in any way, so I am always drawn to FX things which allow me to operate after the fact, that have parameters exposed and let me reshape things which are already fixed as audio. It’s a learning experience...

Great explanation, and I'm sold. You have a very interesting process going on there, too. Much food for thought for me. Thanks.

• Very nice! Some great tones here. I also like the text commentary and the idea of using attack softener in this way

• Don't forget to check out Panstation 2 if you haven't already, it's bang up your street

• @Gavinski : thanks, I’ll take a look.