Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is it possible Auria crashes are due to app conflicts?

You may have seen my recent post about solving my "crash at launch" problem with Auria:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/38124/mostly-solved-auria-crashes-on-launch-not-any-more#latest

I solved that, but Auria is still super crashy for me. Is it possible that there are other apps that are causing conflicts with Auria and crashing it?

This didn't seem to be a possibility, but now that I've confirmed other apps can crash it, maybe there are some that we need to look for?

Just searching for answers, as I know other people are less crash prone. I have a lot of apps, so I'm wondering if there is some kind of limit, or just some bad apps in there somewhere.

Comments

• I have lots of apps. I occasionally have had crashes, but they aren't frequent.

The most frequent culprit has been that a few AU don't freeze correctly.

• I had a similar problem some time ago. Not recent though.

I ended up having to completely delete and install all over again from scratch. And mine was an original Auria that I had to install first, then restore purchases to Pro, etc.

Huge PITA, bug it did the trick.

• @johnfromberkeley : I wonder if an AP IAP might be an issue. I don’t have them all.

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    You may have seen my recent post about solving my "crash at launch" problem with Auria:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/38124/mostly-solved-auria-crashes-on-launch-not-any-more#latest

I solved that, but Auria is still super crashy for me. Is it possible that there are other apps that are causing conflicts with Auria and crashing it?

This didn't seem to be a possibility, but now that I've confirmed other apps can crash it, maybe there are some that we need to look for?

Just searching for answers, as I know other people are less crash prone. I have a lot of apps, so I'm wondering if there is some kind of limit, or just some bad apps in there somewhere.

Pursuant to the recent posts I have deleted more than 100 apps, starting with all the small MIDI things you indicated and which I essentially had a full set of and a lot more....it wasn't a memory issue as regards available space (still had plenty; have more now :) ), but it was a severe and random hacking through the undergrowth.

I rebooted and could suddenly import and open a number of projects that were crash central for a long time....worked with the app for a couple of hours, had one crash (AB/AU FX related I believe) but otherwise no problems. I don't want to curse it, but I feel as though I'm back in the game...

• @JohnnyGoodyear : that is wild. Won’t say anything else lest I jinx you.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

Pursuant to the recent posts I have deleted more than 100 apps, starting with all the small MIDI things you indicated and which I essentially had a full set of and a lot more....it wasn't a memory issue as regards available space (still had plenty; have more now :) ), but it was a severe and random hacking through the undergrowth.

I rebooted and could suddenly import and open a number of projects that were crash central for a long time....worked with the app for a couple of hours, had one crash (AB/AU FX related I believe) but otherwise no problems. I don't want to curse it, but I feel as though I'm back in the game...

Wow. Have you been deleting any “modern” apps?

• @espiegel123 said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear : that is wild. Won’t say anything else lest I jinx you.

If I were a scientist of any kind (been thinking a lot about them lately :) ) I would of course have cut the apps down one by one and made a list, run tests, etc etc. I am ashamed that I didn't do that, and thus in general terms I cannot teach another man to fish his way out of the same situation....BUT I do suspect (strongly) that the post title is right.

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

Not many in terms of the Big Boys. Some certainly and a whole load of others that it can't be, old stuff that I've had/not used forever (Sample Tank etc)...BUT I did get rid of a ton of small/cheap/little apps that I bought on my constant whim and never really used much more than a quick open. But I started with ALL the MIDI stuff (and there was a LOT)....It's been a good lesson. Even if I want to keep blowing my money and buying everything I don't need to keep the same everything on my iPAD :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

Not many in terms of the Big Boys. Some certainly and a whole load of others that it can't be, old stuff that I've had/not used forever (Sample Tank etc)...BUT I did get rid of a ton of small/cheap/little apps that I bought on my constant whim and never really used much more than a quick open. But I started with ALL the MIDI stuff (and there was a LOT)....It's been a good lesson. Even if I want to keep blowing my money and buying everything I don't need to keep the same everything on my iPAD :)

My fear is losing cool old apps like Nave or morphwiz

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

My fear is losing cool old apps like Nave or morphwiz

Still have both of those... Not prepared to be that socially distant :)

zMors Eq used to crash my Auria all the time.

• @ecou said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

/Asks no questions, allows no mitigation, takes zMors Eq behind barn.

• edited April 2020

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ecou said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

/Asks no questions, allows no mitigation, takes zMors Eq behind barn.

I contacted both dev about it. Only got one to reply. It was also stopping me from doing render.

• I’ve often thought about deleting everything except Auria(pro).. It sure would save time figuring out what I’m going to use today. I mean lord it’s got a great Piano, great effects, great Synth, good drums, etc. Ya, I don’t really need all those pictures of my kids on there..

• @NoiseHorse said:
    I’ve often thought about deleting everything except Auria(pro).. It sure would save time figuring out what I’m going to use today. I mean lord it’s got a great Piano, great effects, great Synth, good drums, etc. Ya, I don’t really need all those pictures of my kids on there..

I know. I AM going to buy a new iPad (when everything isn't on hold), and I've been thinking the same as you. Maybe the answer is to delete everything off the current one etc etc BUT I must say that the cull so far has made a huge difference, for now. Let's see how the next few weeks pan out....:)

• @ecou said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

Did it happen even when you weren't using it in a song. For example, I believe Auria scans apps, at first launch, and subsequently looks for new apps as they appear.

Obviously, one of the apps I deleted was causing the crash at launch, so I'm wondering just what Auria does when it automagically makes all those apps discoverable to be used in Auria.

Also, AUM does the same thing, but doesn't seem to break.

@ecou said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

Did it happen even when you weren't using it in a song. For example, I believe Auria scans apps, at first launch, and subsequently looks for new apps as they appear.

Obviously, one of the apps I deleted was causing the crash at launch, so I'm wondering just what Auria does when it automagically makes all those apps discoverable to be used in Auria.

@WaveMachineLabs ?

• edited April 2020

@johnfromberkeley said:

@ecou said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

It happened when I was using it. But now that I think about it maybe it is what is causing my crashes at startup. I just deleted it. I will let you know if I see a difference.

• Like I mentioned before, I had the same problem with AuriaPro before. It was maddening. I wasted a lot of time trying to discover the culprit. I’d find one I thought was causing it. Delete it... only to find the problem come back.

After I completely deleted and reinstalled from scratch and then restored all my IAPs, the problem went away and had yet to come back over a year later ( knock on wood)

• Another possibility is that specific apps don't crash Auria, but that when Auria detects and internally registers new apps, something gets corrupted. Would love to hear back from @WaveMachineLabs here, because I've never been able to recover my password from the forums, even after emailing support.

• edited April 2020

@ecou said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@ecou said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

It happened when I was using it. But now that I think about it maybe it is what is causing my crashes at startup. I just deleted it. I will let you know if I see a difference.

I am reporting that deleting zMors Eq dit not cure my crash at app start. But it did cure my mixdown problem.