Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Hypnopad song inspired by Spidericemidas kroenecker sounds

Sampled two kroenecker sounds made by Spidericemidas for bass and pad. Played by right foot on every whole note of every measure.

Comments

• You're triggering it all live, correct? I love the Drumscapes you're doing with your ekit.. great sounds (can't go wrong with any Spidericemidas patches), chilled composition..
    I've got an old DrumKat kicking around here somewhere (hope it still works) that I really should be using with my iPad.. I see you've been trying to find a step trigger (midi round robin) app on iOS.. I realized that Quantum will probably do exactly what you're looking for.. haven't actually tried it myself - BUT - after that discussion and your videos, I'm going to dust off that Kat and see what happens.. hopefully you find what you're looking for.. Whatever you've got running here works perfect though.. thanks for sharing this..
    Oh, that video effect is quite cool too..

• Thanks! Yeah it’s all live. The Drumkat is awesome as well as the Wavedrum. Thanks for the quantum suggestion but after I looked at it more closely I noticed it was stand alone only so I can’t use multiple instances in AUM/ etc. Also it uses only one midi note trigger for all six sequences rather than a note per sequence. So close!

• Hypno that's totally unlike what I expected when you were talking about triggering stuff from drumpads!

Our discussions on the other thread have inspired me to dig out my Lightpad tomorrow to have a bit of a play with triggering sequences like this.

Really nice sounds too.

• Thanks. I’ve been a drummer all my life but ever since midi came out I’ve been attempting to be a one man band. I feel like I’ve finally achieved it. All without looping/ backing tracks/ multitrack recording . Ironically absolutely no drum sounds on any of my tunes in the last few years!
    What’s a light pad?

• @hypnopad said:
    Thanks. I’ve been a drummer all my life but ever since midi came out I’ve been attempting to be a one man band. I feel like I’ve finally achieved it. All without looping/ backing tracks/ multitrack recording . Ironically absolutely no drum sounds on any of my tunes in the last few years!
    What’s a light pad?

https://roli.com/products/blocks/lightpad-m

• Video app?

• @Jocphone said:

https://roli.com/products/blocks/lightpad-m

My bad! It didn’t click with out the word Roli in front of it. I actually have a seaboard. I think it’s incredible technology but I could never use it live. Chromatic instruments scare me!

• @baudious said:
    Video app?

Luma fusion. Finally decided to learn it and actually do all my editing and fx on the iPad . Highly recommended.With key framing you can modulate the effects. Not as nice as envelopes or using a controller like in a DAW but gets the job done.

• Thank u sir.

• edited April 2020

What are you using to trigger your right foot? A kick drum trigger?

This is similar to what I do with the freedrum triggers on my feet as I play guitar. Sorry for the very rough video with terrible audio (and I purposely exaggerate some of the timing to be slightly "off" so you can see it's not on the grid), but you can see how I actually play through a sequence depending on how many times I play a note here:

We are perhaps kindred spirits of a sort...

• @hypnopad said:

Sampled two kroenecker sounds made by Spidericemidas for bass and pad. Played by right foot on every whole note of every measure.

Just WOW! Sounds lovely and ethereal. This makes me proud to have created some sounds that have inspired a beautiful composition and performance such as this! Awesome work and well played! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

• That was awesome! I think I remember seeing a promotional video of those a while back. Now I really want them.
    I use a shark pedal from my days in a computer band in the 80’s. It’s hooked up to the Drumkat. I have 11 triggers coming from that.
    It does sound like we’re roaming the same musical neighborhood !

• @Spidericemidas said:
    Just WOW! Sounds lovely and ethereal. This makes me proud to have created some sounds that have inspired a beautiful composition and performance such as this! Awesome work and well played! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Thanks for your compliments! I look forward to every time you come out with new presets. Kroenecker is one of my all time favorite synths so when I saw you had picked that one I knew they would inspire me.
    I actually have made lots of instrument racks in Ableton sampling your previous presets.
    Glad you are feeling better!

• @hypnopad said:
    That was awesome! I think I remember seeing a promotional video of those a while back. Now I really want them.
    I use a shark pedal from my days in a computer band in the 80’s. It’s hooked up to the Drumkat. I have 11 triggers coming from that.
    It does sound like we’re roaming the same musical neighborhood !

Ah ok. Thx for sharing that pedal. I had something similar and a drum Kat before I went Bluetooth with the free drum sensors.

• Had another quick question for you: you mentioned samples in your first post. Do you always use samples? I imagine for more atmospheric music it would be fine to have long gates with notes, but I've opted for samples because I rely on choke groups.

• I use a combination of samples and synth plug ins. Depends on several things. Mainly cpu stress reduction. If I feel the need for modulating the instrument I’ll use a plug in. If I feel I don’t need to use whatever parameters the synth has it’s just easier and more efficient to sample it into a simpler/sampler device in a drumrack in Live. Sometimes if a synth is causing some issues, I’ll just sample it to make my rig less problematic. More playing and less trouble shooting!

• @hypnopad said:
    I use a combination of samples and synth plug ins. Depends on several things. Mainly cpu stress reduction. If I feel the need for modulating the instrument I’ll use a plug in. If I feel I don’t need to use whatever parameters the synth has it’s just easier and more efficient to sample it into a simpler/sampler device in a drumrack in Live. Sometimes if a synth is causing some issues, I’ll just sample it to make my rig less problematic. More playing and less trouble shooting!

Thanks for the insights. Our experience is, again, similar. Besides needing the choke groups, I found that my host on iOS could crash after loading/unloading a bunch of different synths. These days, once I dial in the right sound I immediately "print to sample" using AudioLayer, which is my main tool. Anyway, thanks again for sharing.

• Luke and Hypno, you both are geniuses. I like what I hear going on. i may need to look into those free drum triggers

• @Hmtx said:
    Luke and Hypno, you both are geniuses. I like what I hear going on. i may need to look into those free drum triggers

The Freedrum triggers are very cool. I have a "backup pair" that I bought for dirt cheap on eBay so you might look there first. In case it isn't immediately apparent, I can get four separate notes by using the Freedrum triggers at different angles (there are technically six but I find it really awkward to turn my feet inward). I do use MidiFire extensively to post-process the incoming MIDI to make it work with triggering samples--and AB3 to set up all the presets. What you can't see is that I also have an ACPAD for my acoustic that allows me to set up 8 different scenes for a tune (this allows me to mix/match different samples to mix things up further). I'm a hopeless mad scientist. ;)

• @Hmtx said:
    Luke and Hypno, you both are geniuses. I like what I hear going on. i may need to look into those free drum triggers

Thanks man!

The Freedrum triggers are very cool. I have a "backup pair" that I bought for dirt cheap on eBay so you might look there first. In case it isn't immediately apparent, I can get four separate notes by using the Freedrum triggers at different angles (there are technically six but I find it really awkward to turn my feet inward). I do use MidiFire extensively to post-process the incoming MIDI to make it work with triggering samples--and AB3 to set up all the presets. What you can't see is that I also have an ACPAD for my acoustic that allows me to set up 8 different scenes for a tune (this allows me to mix/match different samples to mix things up further).

And I thought I bought a lot of cool esoteric gear! Never heard of the ACPAD. Went to their site and was blown away by the video. Makes me wish I played guitar.

@lukesleepwalker said:
    I'm a hopeless mad scientist. ;)

We don’t have studios- we have musical laboratories!

• @hypnopad said:
    And I thought I bought a lot of cool esoteric gear! Never heard of the ACPAD. Went to their site and was blown away by the video. Makes me wish I played guitar.

Indeed, so esoteric that they went out of business. The guy who started the project is AMAZING at playing accompaniment while also playing guitar. I don't pretend to be that talented. And, also, because I'm singing, playing guitar, and playing the samples with my feet, I figure I'm doing enough for now. (I use the notes to control scenes in AB3.)

@lukesleepwalker said:
    I'm a hopeless mad scientist. ;)

We don’t have studios- we have musical laboratories!

Exactly right. Bwhahahahahahaha!

• Do you do everything in iOS ? I’m too dependent on Ableton Live to make that leap.

• Yep, all iOS. And no wires--all Bluetooth--except for line out from iOS to PA.

• Wow. Any more videos? Play out any? (well back in the days when you could)

• edited April 2020

I've been contemplating how to make better videos with the whole she-bang on display (full song, vocals, etc) but the logistics are a bit daunting. I'll give it some more effort.

Here's another fun fact: I play everything through a battery-powered Bose S1 Pro speaker. So, I literally don't need to plug anything in to an electric outlet. I just show up anywhere and play, including busking. I purposely set this whole thing up as an updated view of the "acoustic busker" type of thing. Family and work do impinge on the frequency of my "performances".

• On one hand it’s great to have complete creative control. On the other It sucks to have to be a performer/sound engineer/videographer all at the same time. All that and limited time!
    I went mobile several times: parades/remote locations/etc. Challenging but uniquely rewarding.!

Yes. That’s a baby carriage.

• Fantastic photo!